http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 10:40:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Netflix Instant Watch recommendation thread  (Read 69363 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: March 05, 2014, 12:34:08 PM »

Ditto.  Thanks for the heads up!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: March 05, 2014, 01:01:11 PM »

Technically, you start with the movie, then go through the seasons.  I imagine you can skip the movie, though they do mention characters and events later in the series.  It got a bum rap, but it works fine if you think of it as a multiarc series of episodes and not a movie.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: March 05, 2014, 02:27:29 PM »

I've seen the movie...but I'm going to watch the series anyway.  I've heard the series was much better than the movie.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: March 05, 2014, 04:07:12 PM »

That Chuck Jones Farscape episode is one of my all-time favorite episodes of any show ever.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: March 05, 2014, 04:45:20 PM »

I keep debating upgrading my dvd box set of Farscape to the blu ray set.  That I'm even thinking about that kind of a double dip should show you how much I loved Farscape.  Firefly is the only show I've ever done that for.  I think DS9 would be the only other one.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: March 09, 2014, 03:40:42 PM »

While it wasn't particularly well-reviewed in 2012, I was quite gripped by the French-made Special Forces (saw on Netflix yesterday). You could maybe call it a remake of Saving Private Ryan (small French special forces group sent to rescue a kidnapped reporter in this case) set in Afghanistan. Critics found it too jingoistic, but I think it works at the least as an exciting military thriller with amazing photography and location shooting. Think more Black Hawk Down, rather than Zero Dark Thirty.

‘Special Forces’ Reveals French Side of War
http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/movies/2012/10/12/special-forces-reveals-french-side-of-war/
While it's not a documentary, the director's background is in that so it feels very much "you are there" and has lots of spectacular vistas.

While there is a fair amount of subtitles in the movie, much of it is in English (you'll recognize Diane Kruger from FX's The Bridge show, and Tarantino's "Inglorious Basterds")  due to the kidnapped reporter speaking English.
================

Also caught Ironclad, after realizing James Purefoy (whom I enjoyed in Solomon Kane so much) starred in it. Bloody exciting, but I don't know if I recommend trying to watch it on a full stomach. It goes pretty faaaaaaaaaaar in the violence quotient, in keeping with its 13th century topic.  If watching character's hands and limbs and feet get lopped off, or watching a corpse get catapulted against a wall don't scare you off, then sign up for it. icon_smile

Purefoy's "slam the longsword through the hostage-taker's mouth" move made me giggle.  ninja
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 03:49:53 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: March 09, 2014, 03:51:25 PM »

I'm enjoying Farscape so much that I checked into buying the seasons on iTunes so I could continue watching on my upcoming flights. 

They want $50 per season?!  Fuck that noise.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 10, 2014, 02:44:08 AM »

The box set of the dvd's are on sale quite often on amazon.  Can you get that and use handbrake to rip the episodes to your laptop?

Edit: blu ray box set is 70 bucks.  There's also a new DVD set that's selling for 17 bucks a season too.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:49:33 AM by hepcat » Logged

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1128 on: March 10, 2014, 04:53:16 AM »

I watched Best Man Down and surprisingly enjoyed it.  I had low expectations, and with Tyler Labine and Justin Long I expected a dumb buddy comedy but it was more of a touching, heartfelt friendship thing.  With some Tyler Labine silliness at times.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1129 on: March 10, 2014, 02:48:14 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 09, 2014, 03:51:25 PM

I'm enjoying Farscape so much that I checked into buying the seasons on iTunes so I could continue watching on my upcoming flights. 

They want $50 per season?!  Fuck that noise.
Make sure you track down down the movie when you start nearing the end of the series.  If you don't you will regret it...
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1130 on: March 10, 2014, 04:16:21 PM »

started watching season 4 of Clone Wars with my son yesterday.  started off ok with a long underwater battle but it then took a turn to the Lucas and brought in Jar Jar and the mandatory tie-in by having Akbar be a major character in the story.  the episodes after that were another Jar Jar and one where the droids do all sorts of non-droid like things in the service of making them interesting. 

thankfully, they seem to dig themselves out by having an anti clone general (clonist?) treating clones like disposable fodder. 

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1131 on: March 17, 2014, 02:41:52 PM »

Saturday night, my wife and I decided to check out the first episode of the French drama The Returned on Netflix. 4 hour later it was 1AM and we were both in a daze and dragged our asses to bed. Yesterday we watched all be the last episode. What a fantastic show about the dead returning to a small village in France. I'm pretty sure the new show, Resurrection, (ABC?) is based on The Returned. If you don't mind sub-titles, check this show out. It's a moody drama with each episode looking more like a movie than a TV series.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 17, 2014, 04:20:39 PM »

Am I the only one who caught the opening episode of the new Netflix series Dusk till Dawn. I never cared much for the original movie and the opening episode left me feeling about the same. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and watch a few more episodes, but it really needs to improve to keep my attention.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: March 17, 2014, 04:30:07 PM »

I didn't realize that was a Netflix original series.  I had watched a trailer for it a while back and was not in any way, shape or form impressed.  I may give the pilot a shot just to make sure I'm not being misinformed by a crappy trailer though.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: March 17, 2014, 07:05:21 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on March 17, 2014, 02:41:52 PM

Saturday night, my wife and I decided to check out the first episode of the French drama The Returned on Netflix. 4 hour later it was 1AM and we were both in a daze and dragged our asses to bed. Yesterday we watched all be the last episode. What a fantastic show about the dead returning to a small village in France. I'm pretty sure the new show, Resurrection, (ABC?) is based on The Returned. If you don't mind sub-titles, check this show out. It's a moody drama with each episode looking more like a movie than a TV series.

Actually, Resurrection is not based on The Returned (supposedly legally).  There's another American show called The Returned coming to A&E that is.

This seems to be a common misconception (I thought the same thing at one point), since if you search for The Returned on IMDB, it lists Resurrection and says "(aka The Returned)" though the main page no longer says that.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: March 20, 2014, 03:13:42 PM »

Almost done with Season 1 of Farscape.  Man, what an awesome show...can't believe I missed both this and Firefly the first time around.

Random sidenote:  Part of the music used in Farscape is sampled in one of my favorite songs, Synthetic Forms by Frontline Assembly (the back and forth strings that start about the 2:40 mark).  It's distracting every time the song is played in the background during the show because it makes want to go listen to FLA.  smile

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 20, 2014, 03:27:53 PM »

Man you only finished season 1, it gets so much better!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1137 on: March 20, 2014, 04:15:05 PM »

Farscape is one of the few series that make me wish selective memory wiping was a thing.  I'd love to watch this again from the start without knowing how it ends.

and RE that music, it reminds me more of Alien than Farscape, with some Vangelis Blade Runner-esque mixed in afterwards. ~4:30.  good stuff though.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 20, 2014, 06:08:24 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 20, 2014, 04:15:05 PM

Farscape is one of the few series that make me wish selective memory wiping was a thing.  I'd love to watch this again from the start without knowing how it ends.

and RE that music, it reminds me more of Alien than Farscape, with some Vangelis Blade Runner-esque mixed in afterwards. ~4:30.  good stuff though.

You know what, I think you may be right.  This page lists all the samples FLA uses in their music, and there is some Alien score in there ("Synthetic Forms" from the Implode album).  I guess Farscape copied it as well, as it sounds exactly the same.  Tried to find the exact song on YouTube, but ran across what I think may be a rather huge spoiler, so I'm going to stop looking.  frown

Spoiler for Hiden:
One of the tracks was called "Aeryn's Funeral", but I don't have any more context than that

Here's the samples from that song.

?.?? grinding, footsteps, ocean sound
Contact

?.?? orchestral and female choir samples
The Prophecy

0.36-1.02, 1.07, 1.12-1.28, rapid beeping sounds, orchestral strike
Event Horizon

2.41 looped orcehstra
Mimic

2.59 Light orchestra hits
Jerry Goldsmith, “Alien” score

3.54, 7.10 “This place is a tomb”
Event Horizon

4.06 Sound effect, “Scanning for life readings…”
Event Horizon

4.48 wierd effected drum loop
Depeche Mode, “Dangerous”
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:10:13 PM by Gratch » Logged

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1139 on: March 20, 2014, 06:21:04 PM »

damn, if I knew you would be out hunting for music and run across spoiler territory, I'd have kept my mug shut. 

I was trying to think of the movie sampled in that song after hearing Fishburne's voice. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: March 20, 2014, 07:20:18 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 20, 2014, 03:13:42 PM

by Frontline Assembly

Next you're going to tell me that Front 242 is still together

<checks wiki>

Jeebus, they are.  Old fogies still playing industrial.  Who'd a thunk it?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: March 20, 2014, 07:23:59 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 20, 2014, 07:20:18 PM

by Frontline Assembly

<checks wiki>

I saw Skinny Puppy last month, and it was an amazing show.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: March 20, 2014, 08:15:51 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 20, 2014, 07:23:59 PM

Quote from: hepcat on March 20, 2014, 07:20:18 PM

by Frontline Assembly

<checks wiki>

I saw Skinny Puppy last month, and it was an amazing show.

Same, and I'm seeing Gary Numan Monday, woo!
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1143 on: March 21, 2014, 02:54:19 PM »

I watched a couple episodes of American Horror Story on a whim and ended up finishing both seasons in a little over a week.  That doesn’t happen for me very often.  I don’t actually care for most “horror” in general but this was much more like a character driven drama with horrific elements than a straight up horror story.  Nothing was particularly scary or gruesome (Aside from the opening credits oddly enough).  It’s an anthology series so each season is a self-contained story; I would say the first season was more compelling but I enjoyed both.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 21, 2014, 08:37:18 PM »

AHS is great because I truly have no clue as to what they'll do next.  It's surprising to find a show that eschews pretty much every television standard.

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1145 on: March 21, 2014, 10:25:23 PM »

I watched the first episode of Rectify on Netflix last night. It seems like a pretty interesting show plus it's only 6 episodes long.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: March 25, 2014, 12:24:58 AM »

Saw 20 Feet From Stardom appeared on Netflix over the weekend so caught that the other day. This film won best documentary this year at the Academy Awards. It's follows a few backup singers, their careers, and how they have an almost impossible time becoming know solo artist. Its definitely good. There is a lot of history here with the backup singers being on various songs that I had no clue about. But ultimately it was a bit of a depressing film. These ladies (and one guy) have some major talent. But it was clear that talent doesn't directly translate into being a star in the music industry - which is portrayed so viciously, and ultimately random with who gets to become a star. If anything I think this film would be a major turn off to anyone going in to that industry despite have a lot of up beat moments.

Today I had the day off and while my plan was to do stuff around the house at lunch I popped on this new Anime show Sword Art Online which appeared over the weekend too. 30 minute shows are perfect for lunch so thought I'd check it out. And then the rest of the day was gone as I binge watched a bunch of episodes. It's a totally geeky show but I was loving it - and if you've played MMOs with any regularity you would probably get a kick out of it too.

The setup is this. A new popular MMO was just released in limited supply: 10,000 copies. The game uses this new VR helmet technology where your thoughts control your movements in the game - in the real word your basically paralyzed while playing the game. After logging in the game it soon becomes evident the log out button has been removed from the menu. Since you're paralyzed you can't remove the helmet your self to exit the game. But you don't want to do that anyways since the creator of the game makes it clear that it will kill you. And if you die in the game you also die in the real world too. The only way to get out of the game is to clear the 100 different levels in the game world.

Now its a totally silly setup but the episodes are actually fun as they cover a lot of the MMO tropes such as, newbies, boss battles, player killers, guilds and guild politics, ninja looting, and even in-game marriage. Its actually done pretty well given the absurdity of the topics. There is an early 2-part episode that deals with a murder mystery where someone is killed in town, which shouldn't be possible since its a non-PvP area. Who killed them, and how did they do it (an exploit), and why? Although the ending of the mystery wasn't that good getting to that point was kinda a blast.

The show is targeted at the teen audience so there's a lot of stupid stuff in there but for the most part the show takes itself somewhat seriously. And people actually die in this thing - one rather viciously. But if played MMOs its worth checking out that first episode to see if your in or not.

*fixed the name of the show.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 06:00:56 PM by Crawley » Logged
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: March 25, 2014, 04:43:47 AM »

Sword Art Online actually... and enjoying them myself as well.   icon_cool

And dang but the Christmas episode was all kinds of sad.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: March 25, 2014, 06:17:26 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on March 25, 2014, 12:24:58 AM

Today I had the day off and while my plan was to do stuff around the house at lunch I popped on this new Anime show Sword Star Online which appeared over the weekend too. 30 minute shows are perfect for lunch so thought I'd check it out. And then the rest of the day was gone as I binge watched a bunch of episodes. It's a totally geeky show but I was loving it - and if you've played MMOs with any regularity you would probably get a kick out of it too.

How's this compare to Log Horizon?  Which is another another anime about people getting stuck in an MMO world.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: March 25, 2014, 06:05:41 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on March 25, 2014, 06:17:26 AM

Today I had the day off and while my plan was to do stuff around the house at lunch I popped on this new Anime show Sword Star Online which appeared over the weekend too. 30 minute shows are perfect for lunch so thought I'd check it out. And then the rest of the day was gone as I binge watched a bunch of episodes. It's a totally geeky show but I was loving it - and if you've played MMOs with any regularity you would probably get a kick out of it too.

How's this compare to Log Horizon?  Which is another another anime about people getting stuck in an MMO world.

I'm not sure. I haven't seen that one.

But still loving Sword ART Online. I popped on an episode before heading to bed and my wife came in to see what I was watching. Next thing you know we've watched four episodes in a row and its Midnight.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: March 25, 2014, 06:24:50 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on March 25, 2014, 06:05:41 PM

But still loving Sword ART Online. I popped on an episode before heading to bed and my wife came in to see what I was watching. Next thing you know we've watched four episodes in a row and its Midnight.

Just stuck it onto my Netflix queue

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: March 25, 2014, 06:47:42 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on March 25, 2014, 06:05:41 PM

One thing I like about Log Horizon is it deals a lot with guild politics, and party group tactics.  It very much is from someone who has played MMOs.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: March 27, 2014, 03:47:12 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 25, 2014, 04:43:47 AM

I'm really enjoying this series. I especially liked the 2 part story that spanned episodes 5 and 6 -  very cool story with lots of mystery and intrigue. About the only thing that's bothered me about it, is  a bit too much fan service in terms of sexy shots/angles of some of the female characters features. That's to be expected for the target audience though and it isn't frequent enough to be too annoying. Another good anime series and I'm definitely going to watch it through to completion.   slywink thumbsup
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:52:18 AM by kronovan » Logged
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: March 27, 2014, 06:24:35 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 27, 2014, 03:47:12 AM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 25, 2014, 04:43:47 AM

I'm really enjoying this series. I especially liked the 2 part story that spanned episodes 5 and 6 -  very cool story with lots of mystery and intrigue. About the only thing that's bothered me about it, is  a bit too much fan service in terms of sexy shots/angles of some of the female characters features. That's to be expected for the target audience though and it isn't frequent enough to be too annoying. Another good anime series and I'm definitely going to watch it through to completion.   slywink thumbsup

The sexy shots actually get more frequent as the series goes along - so that does get more annoying. The first 14 episodes of this series is excellent though - what I'm calling the 1st half. I'm at episode 20 now and the second half of the season is a little less compelling for me to watch. They want to focus on the romances rather than just survival in the game world. Plus a new bad guy they introduce is waaay over the top with behaving villainous that it kinda ruins things when he's in a scene. Still I gotta find out what happens.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: March 28, 2014, 01:14:43 AM »

The reason why I love Sword Art Online (also Log Horizons) is because they convey how online relationships can be deep and meaningful (whether it's from a Guild, favorite party members etc)

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1155 on: March 28, 2014, 05:09:15 AM »

I think we need a separate thread for Netflix Anime Discussions.  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: April 03, 2014, 02:24:13 PM »

The one benefit of being laid up sick in a hotel room yesterday was that I got to do a Farscape marathon.  Watched 13 episodes and wrapped up season 2.  I love this show, but when it goes off the rails, it REALLY goes off the rails.  One particular episode where John is, shall we say, "back home" was delightfully insane.  I about fell off the couch laughing when Crais showed up in heels.   icon_lol

So damn glad I gave this show another shot.   thumbsup

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: April 03, 2014, 03:40:48 PM »

thanks for the SAO recommendation.  Almost done with the series and it definitely pays off.  I could do with less of the young women objectification, but it is certainly a very deep series once you get past that

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: April 03, 2014, 04:25:30 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 03, 2014, 02:24:13 PM

The one benefit of being laid up sick in a hotel room yesterday was that I got to do a Farscape marathon.  Watched 13 episodes and wrapped up season 2.  I love this show, but when it goes off the rails, it REALLY goes off the rails.  One particular episode where John is, shall we say, "back home" was delightfully insane.  I about fell off the couch laughing when Crais showed up in heels.   icon_lol

So damn glad I gave this show another shot.   thumbsup

Spoiler for Hiden:
Crais: FREEZE! You're under arrest! You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney! If you cannot afford one... tough noogies! You can make ONE phone call! I recommend Trixie: 976-Triple 5-LOVE. Do you understand these rights as I have explained them to you?! Well do ya, PUNK?
Crichton: No...
Crais: Well... then I can't arrest you!

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque or credit card?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: April 03, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »

They've added the first season of Young Justice.  I haven't watched it yet, but I've heard lots of good things about it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: