http://gamingtrend.com
November 21, 2014, 03:08:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Netflix Instant Watch recommendation thread  (Read 68081 times)
Crawley
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: November 07, 2013, 07:47:45 PM »

It almost reads like only the special event "The Defenders" will air on Netflix but not the other shows with the individual characters (Daredevil, Jessica Jones (?), Iron Fist, Luke Cage). In any case good news for Netflix. I'm using Netflix more and more and regular TV less and less.

One of the things I've been re-watching over a year now is Battlestar Galactica. I hadn't watched it since it initially aired and that show still holds up. I've been on a major binge of late with Season 3 and 4. As much as people complained about these last two seasons it works so great watching them back to back. The Baltar trial was actually pretty entertaining, particularly with the mystery defender character. The lead-up to finding Earth with all the prophecies, cylon civil war, Adama's/Roslins intimacy, the old school rouge cylons, Starbucks return, made for pretty compelling television. Then it was still good after earth with the mutiny story-line.

Plus Netflix is pretty devious now. Like always, when you finish an episode it will put up a prompt saying the next episode will start in 15 seconds. However Netflix added a new twist to this. On a few shows when you click "play" to see the next episode it will skip the title sequence and just start at the first actual scene of the next episode. So with Battlestar you get these cliffhanger endings and can click "play" and be at the first scene of the next episode. Such a simple change that kept me watching episode after episode.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: November 07, 2013, 10:09:33 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 07, 2013, 04:35:35 PM

Probably should have started a new thread since this is coming in 2015

like this one? Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: November 07, 2013, 10:09:42 PM »

plus, SHARKNADO IS UP!

Because I can,
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: November 07, 2013, 10:51:59 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on November 07, 2013, 07:47:45 PM

It almost reads like only the special event "The Defenders" will air on Netflix but not the other shows with the individual characters (Daredevil, Jessica Jones (?), Iron Fist, Luke Cage).

They will all be on Netflix each with a full commitment of 13 episodes.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: November 07, 2013, 10:59:55 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on November 07, 2013, 07:47:45 PM

Plus Netflix is pretty devious now. Like always, when you finish an episode it will put up a prompt saying the next episode will start in 15 seconds. However Netflix added a new twist to this. On a few shows when you click "play" to see the next episode it will skip the title sequence and just start at the first actual scene of the next episode. So with Battlestar you get these cliffhanger endings and can click "play" and be at the first scene of the next episode. Such a simple change that kept me watching episode after episode.

the first few times I encountered this I thought something was wrong with Netflix, and kept rewinding until I realized what it was doing.  it's a nice change.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: November 08, 2013, 05:28:50 PM »

just noticed that they have the first 4 seasons of Dexter up.

Because I can,
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: November 08, 2013, 08:56:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 08, 2013, 05:28:50 PM

just noticed that they have the first 4 seasons of Dexter up.

I believe the later seasons will be up in Jan 2014.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1007 on: November 10, 2013, 07:24:23 AM »

I saw that they have the Ray Harryhausen documentary on streaming and I just watched that tonight.  Definitely worthwhile for any fans of his movies or just movies and special effects in general.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #1008 on: November 10, 2013, 07:39:34 AM »

Watched Russell Peters vs the world. Not bad. smile

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: November 10, 2013, 07:45:44 AM »

all 5 seasons of Chuck have gone up recently thumbsup

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: November 10, 2013, 10:27:46 PM »

Europa Report is on Netflix now. It's one of the better shaky cam films about a mission to Jupiter. It has a great start that really pumps you up for the mission and the mission itself is pretty interesting throughout. Reminded me a bit of the film 2010 in  the way it treated space and discovery. Worth checking out.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: November 11, 2013, 12:18:20 AM »

I watched a movie called The Bay last night. More or less an environmental found footage horror movie with a bit more substance than you usually find in these sorts of things. It wasn't great but had some good moments and the premise was interesting enough. I'd give it 3/5 stars. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: November 11, 2013, 12:20:59 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on November 11, 2013, 12:18:20 AM

I watched a movie called The Bay last night. More or less an environmental found footage horror movie with a bit more substance than you usually find in these sorts of things. It wasn't great but had some good moments and the premise was interesting enough. I'd give it 3/5 stars. 

was it about surviving the filming of a Michael Bay film?

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: November 11, 2013, 01:37:45 AM »

I finally watched FW Murnau's Faust, a silent film from 1926.  If you're still awake after reading that, I'll go on.  It really is fantastic, especially given when it was made.  Some of the visuals in this are absolutely incredible.  Hypnotic, even. 

Check this shit out, as an example:

Spoiler for Hiden:

The most interesting character is Mephisto (of course).  He is creepy as hell early on, as seen in the spoilered shot above.  Then he gets summoned and is smaller, yet even creepier with glowing eyes.  Then he turns into the fat dude from Modern Family.

I'm not kidding.  He plays this thing like Charles Nelson Riley.  High camp and goofy in a black satin skin suit and a bizarre military-crewcut headpiece.

Here he is:

Spoiler for Hiden:

He cops a feel on an old lady at one point, but seems grossed out by the idea at the same time.  By the way, this is the first ever Academy Award winner for Best Actor (not for this role, though).  He also became a big time Nazi sympathizer.  Just some historical background for ya.

Eventually the film leaves Faust and Mephisto for a while, and it gets as dark as any movie I've ever seen.  Seriously, one of the most downbeat moments in cinema happens.

But Love saves the day (capital L and all).  Well, not really since the depressing as hell moment still happens, but at least the devil doesn't win.

You have to take it for what it is.  The actors are overly made up.  There's a lot of hamming and dramatic poses and the brother of the love interest finds everything to be the funniest thing that has ever happened.  But there are some great moments here and some visuals that people making films today should be looking to for how to put a stunning frame together.  It moves faster than you'd expect, though it's just under 2 hours.  If you can get yourself in the right mindset, I recommend it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: November 12, 2013, 12:26:24 AM »

I've been out of the anime loop for abut 8 years, but have been watching (and thoroughly enjoying) Samurai Champloo.  Are there any other anime series available on Netflix that are worth watching?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: November 12, 2013, 12:34:07 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 12, 2013, 12:26:24 AM

I've been out of the anime loop for abut 8 years, but have been watching (and thoroughly enjoying) Samurai Champloo.  Are there any other anime series available on Netflix that are worth watching?

not anime, but the Justice League animated series are definitely worth if it you haven't seen them.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: November 12, 2013, 12:47:53 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 12, 2013, 12:34:07 AM

I've been out of the anime loop for abut 8 years, but have been watching (and thoroughly enjoying) Samurai Champloo.  Are there any other anime series available on Netflix that are worth watching?

not anime, but the Justice League animated series are definitely worth if it you haven't seen them.

I'm typically not much into superhero stuff, but might give it a look.

For reference, I've really liked Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, anything Myazaki (sp?), Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, Lodoss War, Berzerk, Ghost in the Shell.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:51:03 AM by Gratch » Logged

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: November 12, 2013, 12:57:15 AM »

I've been out of the anime loop for abut 8 years, but have been watching (and thoroughly enjoying) Samurai Champloo.  Are there any other anime series available on Netflix that are worth watching?

All the kiddies tell me that crunchyroll is the go-to place for anime these days.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:58:47 AM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1018 on: November 12, 2013, 01:03:43 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 12, 2013, 12:57:15 AM

All the kiddies tell me that crunchyroll is the go-to place for anime these days.

I'm not big on anime at all, but I have some coworkers who love the series Attack on Titan, which I see is available on CrunchyRoll.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: November 12, 2013, 01:04:02 AM »

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood isn't bad and is on Netflix.   

Crunchyroll does have a lot of good stuff like Attack on Titan,  Hunter x Hunter, Gurren Lagann etc and my current favorite anime Kill la Kill.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: November 12, 2013, 05:23:49 PM »

new addition:  Grabbers.

When alien monsters go on a murderous rampage on an Irish island, the only survivor is drunk -- because alcohol makes blood toxic to the aliens. Now, as a sober cop tries to stop the carnage, the rest of the town must get wasted in order to survive.

Because I can,
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: November 12, 2013, 08:55:48 PM »

I liked the documentary on Hugh Hefner. Not everyone realizes what he did for racial equality, free speech, and draconian sex laws.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1022 on: November 14, 2013, 05:08:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 12, 2013, 05:23:49 PM

new addition:  Grabbers.

When alien monsters go on a murderous rampage on an Irish island, the only survivor is drunk -- because alcohol makes blood toxic to the aliens. Now, as a sober cop tries to stop the carnage, the rest of the town must get wasted in order to survive.

IN!

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1023 on: November 15, 2013, 04:35:17 AM »

I see that the Netflix app on Xbox got a significant update today.  I'm assuming in preparation for the One.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: November 15, 2013, 04:56:09 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 15, 2013, 04:35:17 AM

I see that the Netflix app on Xbox got a significant update today.  I'm assuming in preparation for the One.

I think everyone did.

Netflix users who stream video to their televisions will be seeing a major overhaul in the next few days.

The company has announced what it's calling the biggest update ever for its more than 40 million streaming customers, rolling out a more visually rich design that will be the same regardless of what kind of device is used to bring videos from the Internet to the TV.

"This is the biggest change in how Netflix looks on a TV," said Chris Jaffe, Netflix's vice president of product innovation.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1025 on: November 15, 2013, 05:18:56 AM »

It seems like in all the furor they have broken the triggers and shoulder buttons on the 360 version.  Was nice to have that as a consistent interface for fast forward and rewind regardless of use (DVD, Xbox movies, Netflix). 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: November 15, 2013, 05:23:58 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 15, 2013, 05:18:56 AM

It seems like in all the furor they have broken the triggers and shoulder buttons on the 360 version.  Was nice to have that as a consistent interface for fast forward and rewind regardless of use (DVD, Xbox movies, Netflix). 

shoulder and trigger buttons not working?  buy a Kinect!

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: November 15, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »

What?  They're not going to have a different random interface for every device, most of which suck?  Craziness!

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: November 15, 2013, 06:02:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 15, 2013, 04:56:09 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 15, 2013, 04:35:17 AM

I think everyone did.

Netflix users who stream video to their televisions will be seeing a major overhaul in the next few days.

The company has announced what it's calling the biggest update ever for its more than 40 million streaming customers, rolling out a more visually rich design that will be the same regardless of what kind of device is used to bring videos from the Internet to the TV.

"This is the biggest change in how Netflix looks on a TV," said Chris Jaffe, Netflix's vice president of product innovation.

Was very excited to see this update last night, then disappointed to see that it decreased functionality by having fewer streams on screen at once and a majority of screen real estate taken up by the descriptions.

I was really hoping for an update to the queue or watchlist or whatever it is now, so that maybe you could organize it into categories, for example.  Also, instead of feeding me pre-defined categories in the stream, let me also pick some.

It does look nicer, at least, and scrolling through the streams is less headache-inducing, but I would call this more of a graphic overhaul than a useful update.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: November 19, 2013, 11:41:05 PM »

Legend of the Legendary Heroes?  from the Redundant Department of Redundancy?

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: December 08, 2013, 07:19:54 AM »

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: December 08, 2013, 07:41:46 AM »

thumbsup

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1032 on: December 08, 2013, 07:57:59 AM »

I saw a bus stop poster for more episodes of Lilyhammer coming on Dec 13th as well.  Hopefully it's a bit of an improvement over the first season.

sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: December 08, 2013, 07:26:55 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 19, 2013, 11:41:05 PM

Legend of the Legendary Heroes?  from the Redundant Department of Redundancy?

Are they the people backing up the Department of Redundency Dpartment?
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: December 09, 2013, 02:29:52 AM »

Finished Jekyll today.  It's a fun series, especially if you like Moffat's Sherlock and Doctor Who, though I wasn't fond of the way it ended.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: December 09, 2013, 02:49:16 AM »

A quick recap of things I've watched recently:

Olympus Has Fallen: This was actually pretty decent. It's basically Die Hard in the White House. It's pretty over the top but a fun flick. The patriotic stuff is so overdone when it pops up but for movies like this I guess its expected.

End of Watch: Shakey Cam in a cop themed drama. Wasn't too bad either. The two lead characters are fun and its neat seeing them get in over their heads without realizing it.

Grabbers: Horror comedy. Had promise but didn't deliver. Not many laughs as it didn't try to be silly enough - basically the only joke is you gotta be drunk to not have the monster get you.

Upside Down: Two worlds live in close proximity to one another to the point where you can see the other people on the other planet. It's a love story where a guy from one planet falls in love with a girl from the other. The problem is they can't visit each other as the gravity from the planet you are born on sticks with you even if you go to the other planet. It's a fantasy story, not a sci-fi one, so once I had that in my mind it was watchable. And in fact not that bad overall. The problem is it seems the last 20 minutes of the movie was various random scenes from what needed to be 60 more minutes. They basically just tried to wrap the thing up and it fell apart terribly. I would have been there if there was an extra 60 minutes to show a properly paced ending. Bought in to the whole fantasy thing of it. The characters are pretty one dimensional, and you knew where the movie was going, but still there was something about the world(s) that I found enjoyable.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: December 09, 2013, 01:49:39 PM »

I liked Olympus Has Fallen as well.  But I rather enjoyed Upside Down.  Judging it by any other standard than that of a fairy tale , it falls apart.  But it has a whimsical nature that I found appealing.

Watched The Road finally.  That left me wanting to take a razor to my wrists.  Sheesh, talk about bleak.  Still, it was an interesting 2 hours.

Then I finally sat through Only God Forgives.  Disclaimer:  I'm a huge Nicolas Winding Refn fan.  Bronson, the Pusher series, Drive...loved them all.  But I think he's too wrapped up in style over substance with this one.  I still enjoyed it and couldn't take my eyes off the screen quite a few times, but it wasn't always because I was admiring his work.  A few times I caught myself saying under my breath, "And now for another slow head turn towards the audience."  

Still, I would recommend it for the visuals and the pacing.  That last one might be way too slow for some though.  And I admit, sometimes it was (the aforementioned head turn shots get ridiculous about 30 minutes into the film).  But if Refn is anything, it's meticulous about his shots.  So while many scenes dragged on due to the slow pacing, some just impressed me with the gravity the pacing gave to the scene or character...especially those with the police chief.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 01:51:20 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: December 09, 2013, 08:55:48 PM »

Season 4 of White Collar is up on Netflix now.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: December 10, 2013, 06:05:23 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on December 08, 2013, 07:26:55 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 19, 2013, 11:41:05 PM

Legend of the Legendary Heroes?  from the Redundant Department of Redundancy?

Are they the people backing up the Department of Redundency Dpartment?

A shame the title is so ridiculously redundant because the actual series isn't. I watched some of my friend's BRD set of this series a year ago and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. It brings some new ideas to the mythical fantasy genre which has mostly been beaten to death by anime studios. There's some very good animation in this series and much of the dubbed voice acting was surprisingly decent. I'd certainly recommend this series to anyone who watched Vision of Escaflowne or Berserk and enjoyed them.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:08:02 PM by kronovan » Logged
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: December 13, 2013, 04:03:38 PM »

House of Cards Season 2 trailer

All 14 episodes released on Valentines Day next year

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31   Go Up
  Print