http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 04:44:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Netflix Instant Watch recommendation thread  (Read 65961 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: August 29, 2013, 11:48:29 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on August 29, 2013, 04:14:36 PM

Quote from: kronovan on August 28, 2013, 11:59:21 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 25, 2013, 04:47:49 AM

...but that's like saying shit looks better after it's hardened a little.

You see, you have it all wrong there. Shit definitely looks better when it's not hardened...to a fly.  Tongue

I'm not very impressed with the Netflix interface either, but that's because I mostly run it via my 360. I do think the PS3 interface is much better but of all the device it runs on I've been most impressed with the Wii Netflix interface. Unfortunately there's no high-def on the Wii. Heck if the Wii-U version has the same interface and works as well with the Wiimote, I might just buy a Wii-U this year.
I run it with the Wiiu pad.  You get a touch interface and since it has its own screen you can look for new things to watch while something is already playing.  You can also pull what is playing onto just the pad and watch something else on the TV if need be.  If you have a cable box it also interfaces with that and you can set favorites and check listing schedules on the pad.  It's pretty cool actually, the only problem is battery is not great.

Sadly, it doesn't work with my cable box, since it's routed through my receiver.  And since everything but the Wii U powers up and controls with the universal remote, it makes the idea of juggling the clunky pad with the remote pointless.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #961 on: August 30, 2013, 04:21:19 AM »

Just a heads up. I tested Netflix (on the WiiU) with the Wii remote, or rather I tried to.  Netflix does not support the normal remotes from the Wii.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #962 on: August 30, 2013, 09:47:24 PM »

Once Upon a Time season 2 is now available.  Rough first couple episodes aside, I greatly enjoyed the first season.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #963 on: August 31, 2013, 01:06:16 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on August 30, 2013, 09:47:24 PM

Once Upon a Time season 2 is now available.  Rough first couple episodes aside, I greatly enjoyed the first season.

Cool, thanks for the heads up.  I agree that once it got rolling I enjoyed the first season more than I expected to.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: September 02, 2013, 03:05:59 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 31, 2013, 01:06:16 AM

Cool, thanks for the heads up.  I agree that once it got rolling I enjoyed the first season more than I expected to.

Yeah, same. Wasn't sure about it at first but it got really good - even though it looked so cheap.

Also saw that the 4400 made it to Netflix. This is the one where 4400 people who went missing in the last 100 years or so all appear together after a bright light appears in the sky. And they have powers.

First three seasons are great. 4th one not so much.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: September 02, 2013, 03:30:18 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on September 02, 2013, 03:05:59 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 31, 2013, 01:06:16 AM

Yeah, same. Wasn't sure about it at first but it got really good - even though it looked so cheap.

Also saw that the 4400 made it to Netflix. This is the one where 4400 people who went missing in the last 100 years or so all appear together after a bright light appears in the sky. And they have powers.

First three seasons are great. 4th one not so much.

especially the cliffhanger ending.  there were three books being written that supposedly would conclude the series, but only Welcome to Promise City by Greg Cox and Promises Broken by David Mack ever got released.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #966 on: September 02, 2013, 08:27:18 PM »

So Ive watched the first four episodes of Once Upon a Time season 2 and I was getting pretty worried because the first three were not very good.  Both the writing and acting seem to have taken a nose dive from season one. 

Episode 4, however, was excellent.  I hope it keeps it up.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: September 03, 2013, 02:48:34 AM »

There Will Be Blood is up now, as is Grey's Anatomy.  I think I'd rather sit through all the seasons of the latter than watch the former again...

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: September 04, 2013, 08:09:18 PM »

Finished up House of Cards over the long weekend. Wasn't too sure about it after the first two episodes but after that it got me hooked pretty quick. Ended up doing a 6hr session one of the days. I didn't like the Kevin Spacey character speaking to the screen at first but then a few episodes in I was grinning each time he did it as I loved the little insights. Really looking forward to season two.

Also finished up Red Dwarf pretty recently. Started watching that based on some of the feedback here. I initially didn't get what the big deal was since I didn't find the first two seasons all that good or funny. But then it just clicked and startedlooking forward to seeing Rimmer, Lister, Kryten, but not so much Cat - unless he was Dwayne Dibbley. My wife caught parts of the show and hated it calling it "that stupid show" (usually preceded by "turn off" or "I don't want to watch"). But one night she sat down to watch an episode from season 8 with me and actually laughed a few times during it - so it kinda won her over in the end too.

I have to say season 7 and 9 were so dreadful. I almost stopped watching mid-way through S7 and almost didn't finish S9 even though it was 3 episodes long. However S8 was pretty fantastic and probably my favorite of the bunch. Found on YouTube there's gag reels from each of the seasons ("smeg ups") which are generally pretty fun to watch. And a "documentary" for S8 that was also pretty good too.  Hopefully they get S10 on Netflix. It can't be worse than 7 or 9.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: September 04, 2013, 08:32:15 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on September 04, 2013, 08:09:18 PM

Finished up House of Cards over the long weekend. Wasn't too sure about it after the first two episodes but after that it got me hooked pretty quick. Ended up doing a 6hr session one of the days. I didn't like the Kevin Spacey character speaking to the screen at first but then a few episodes in I was grinning each time he did it as I loved the little insights. Really looking forward to season two.

I thought talking to the camera was a great gimmick. I love how he will do it in the middle of a conversation with the person sitting right there. Or when he waves to the camera during the Presidential swearing in.  icon_biggrin

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #970 on: September 04, 2013, 09:22:26 PM »

Also finished up Red Dwarf pretty recently. Started watching that based on some of the feedback here. I initially didn't get what the big deal was since I didn't find the first two seasons all that good or funny. But then it just clicked and startedlooking forward to seeing Rimmer, Lister, Kryten, but not so much Cat - unless he was Dwayne Dibbley. My wife caught parts of the show and hated it calling it "that stupid show" (usually preceded by "turn off" or "I don't want to watch"). But one night she sat down to watch an episode from season 8 with me and actually laughed a few times during it - so it kinda won her over in the end too.

I have to say season 7 and 9 were so dreadful. I almost stopped watching mid-way through S7 and almost didn't finish S9 even though it was 3 episodes long. However S8 was pretty fantastic and probably my favorite of the bunch. Found on YouTube there's gag reels from each of the seasons ("smeg ups") which are generally pretty fun to watch. And a "documentary" for S8 that was also pretty good too.  Hopefully they get S10 on Netflix. It can't be worse than 7 or 9.

I can't believe you would actually watch a full 2 seasons of a show that you didn't really enjoy and keep on going.  Talk about perseverance! 

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: September 05, 2013, 12:03:33 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 04, 2013, 09:22:26 PM

I can't believe you would actually watch a full 2 seasons of a show that you didn't really enjoy and keep on going.  Talk about perseverance! 

Red Dwarf seasons are 6 episodes each. And they're 24 minute shows so not a huge investment. I do like to give shows a chance, particularly when I see the show has several seasons in the bag; usually that indicates there's something to them. And there's been plenty of shows I didn't like initially that I ended up loving: Dollhouse, Legend of the Seeker, Once Upon a Time, to name a few. Red Dwarf turned out to be another one I really enjoyed once it started clicking.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: September 05, 2013, 12:03:51 AM »

I had to hit eject like one episode (i think) from the finale.  He does something so woefully extreme and out of character, I couldn't buy it anymore.  Ruined the show for me.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: September 05, 2013, 12:22:27 AM »

I thought Season 10 was a return to form, felt much more like 5/6 than 7-9.  Probably not as good as the heights of RD but on a definite upswing from where it was.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: September 05, 2013, 06:40:42 PM »

Couldn't agree more.  Season X essentially forgets the disastrous seasons before it and starts fresh.  It isn't great, but it's still a lot of fun.  Highly recommended for fans of the series!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #975 on: September 12, 2013, 07:55:35 PM »

I guess the Netflix Original comedy/drama show Derek with Ricky Gervais is now available.  I'll probably give it a try.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: September 12, 2013, 09:13:23 PM »

Technically, it's an import. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #977 on: September 12, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »

Hmm, I thought it seemed kind of familiar, like MO had a thread or something.  I'm not sure how they can call it a "Netflix Original" in that case.   icon_confused

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: September 13, 2013, 12:38:10 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 12, 2013, 09:25:00 PM

Hmm, I thought it seemed kind of familiar, like MO had a thread or something.  I'm not sure how they can call it a "Netflix Original" in that case.   icon_confused

They sponsored it for release in the states.  "Netflix Original" is just their brand; "Original" can be taken loosely.

Mo did post some clips from this.  I think it may have been in a Return of David Brent thread*.

I watched the first episode last night.  It's sadder than I was expecting.  Still funny, though.  Deeper than I would expect from Gervais.  He's made a likeable character, for once.  OTOH, as I'm watching him the phrase "never go full retard" keeps popping up in my head.  

*EDIT: It was actually in a thread for Derek
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 12:46:43 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: September 13, 2013, 02:13:52 PM »

Lilyhammer was the same deal I believe.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: September 13, 2013, 04:25:43 PM »

Started watching End of Watch last night. So far it's a very gritty very well done police drama.  Swears ahoy tho.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: September 19, 2013, 07:06:17 AM »

Don't know about the USA, but the Japanese film 13 Assassins just showed up on Netflix Canada. I've watched this movie twice and no doubt I'll watch it again now that it's on Netflix. If you like Samurai revenge movies you don't want to miss this one. The last half hour of this movie is unbelievable. It's directed by Takashi Miike, who IMO has become the heir apparent to Kurosawa. I really like his Hara-Kiri Death of a Samurai as well, among a number of other films.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: September 19, 2013, 11:34:26 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on September 19, 2013, 07:06:17 AM

Don't know about the USA, but the Japanese film 13 Assassins just showed up on Netflix Canada. I've watched this movie twice and no doubt I'll watch it again now that it's on Netflix. If you like Samurai revenge movies you don't want to miss this one. The last half hour of this movie is unbelievable. It's directed by Takashi Miike, who IMO has become the heir apparent to Kurosawa. I really like his Hara-Kiri Death of a Samurai as well, among a number of other films.

On the US site, too.  Added to my queue.  Woohoo!

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #983 on: September 20, 2013, 02:46:35 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 19, 2013, 11:34:26 PM

On the US site, too.  Added to my queue.  Woohoo!

I watched this back when I got it via disc and it's definitely worthwhile if you are into this sort of movie.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: September 23, 2013, 07:24:39 PM »

Finished watching Orange is the New Black. Its another one of the Netflix original series - this one taking place at a women's prison. It was pretty damn good and really has me looking forward to the next season - major cliff hanger at the end. The show really takes some unexpected turns as it progresses and the last few episodes has some "holy shit!" moments. The show is geared a bit towards women I'd say. Those first few episodes are something that could have come out of an R-rated Lifetime channel show. But it doesn't take long before your in to it and all the characters - which tend to have more than one layer to them.

It's worth checking out. I wasn't taken by the initial episode but I say by the end of the 3rd episode I was in for the run. And by the 10th episode I wasn't stopping until I finished the season.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: September 26, 2013, 11:49:39 PM »

oh sweet, Mythbusters is up.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: September 27, 2013, 12:06:55 AM »

Season 10, according to my phone alert.  But looking at the list, it's only the first 2/3 of the 2011 season.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: September 27, 2013, 12:09:55 AM »

I didn't realize the older seasons were up at all.  dangit, every time I clear a show out of my queue a new one drags itself in icon_lol

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: September 27, 2013, 02:55:44 AM »

The problem is that they don't put up "seasons", they put up "collections".  They're so butchered as to what makes it into the streaming queue versus what doesn't.  And it's Discover Network's fault, as the DVDs are exactly the same way.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #989 on: September 28, 2013, 03:43:18 AM »

It looks like their so-called "Super HD" is now available to everybody, regardless of ISP. 

I noticed the Super HD icon next to a bunch of my movies the other night, and if you're like me you'll want to know what that even means.  Apparently it's a a higher bit rate and better quality compression 1080p video.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: October 06, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »

Saw two films with minor recommendations:

Side Effects: This is Soderbergs last film and I think I like it more that I've had a few hours to mull it over. Its a very slow burn film. You think its going to be about one thing, then about 60 minutes in you find out its about something completely different. Kinda a neat trick. But the movie moves very slowly.

Gave Encounters: Another shakey-cam film. It's a horror film where a film crew who has a show about ghost encounters (like you see on syfi channel) film in an insane asylum where it turns out there are really ghosts. The start of it I loved since it poked a bit of fun at those silly ghost hunter shows. Then there's a nice twist that occurs when shit starts happening. This isn't breaking new ground at all for these shakey-cam films, the type of scares it has in it have been done a bunch of times in the others. But I enjoyed the setup and that twist it had in it so recommend it based on those two things.
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: October 09, 2013, 02:55:04 AM »

Netflix is now offering the 3D and super HD all over now. When is the 3D content coming? The offerings are pitiful.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: October 09, 2013, 07:48:43 AM »

Yeah Red Dwarf X is a lot better than 7 and 8 seasons and Back To Earth thing with just one episode that didn't really click with me in the series(Lemons)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: October 09, 2013, 11:21:59 AM »

Quote from: sgoldj on October 09, 2013, 02:55:04 AM

Netflix is now offering the 3D and super HD all over now. When is the 3D content coming? The offerings are pitiful.

I haven't seen any of the items in my queue showing Super HD yet, but looking forward to the 3D content.

Because I can,
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: October 09, 2013, 01:35:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 09, 2013, 11:21:59 AM

I haven't seen any of the items in my queue showing Super HD yet, but looking forward to the 3D content.

All I saw were very few, I think children's shows from Europe maybe? CGI. I am just hoping that my search parameters were off.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: October 09, 2013, 02:21:26 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on October 09, 2013, 01:35:38 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 09, 2013, 11:21:59 AM

All I saw were very few, I think children's shows from Europe maybe? CGI. I am just hoping that my search parameters were off.

There's a bunch of of Super HD movies.  I think Avengers is Super HD.  3d is lacking, and it is all kids shows or nature films.  There's a couple of old IMAX things, and Shark Night but when I tried to watch Shark Night it seemed to be busted.  I'll have to try it again to see if it was just a weird stream or a bad encode on their side.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #996 on: October 11, 2013, 11:30:50 AM »

The Following is up now....

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: October 11, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »

Miike is OK, but comparing him to Kurosawa is just... saywhat

I wasn't crazy about 13 Assassins.  It was a decent setup, but the final battle dragged on and on and was really quite boring.  Frankly, I'd much rather just go watch Seven Samurai again.

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: October 28, 2013, 12:01:37 PM »

I finally got around to watching "Cabin in the Woods" last night.  I'm kind of a wuss and don't like scary or overly gory films (I get awful nightmares), so I kept putting it off and putting it off.  I somehow managed to avoid spoilers...I knew there was a twist, but had no idea what it was.

Ended up absolutely loving it.  It struck a perfect balance between tense and funny, and the gore was so over-the-top that it didn't bother me too badly.  My favorite moments were:

Spoiler for Hiden:
1.  When the dude hit the invisible barrier on his motorcycle jump.  I had completely forgotten about the eagle flying into that grid earlier in the film, and couldn't stop laughing as he kept bouncing further and further down the wall.

2.  Unicorn disembowelment.

What a great show.

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: November 07, 2013, 04:35:35 PM »

Marvel creating 4 series for Netflix with the culmination resulting in the Defenders

Probably should have started a new thread since this is coming in 2015

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: