http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 10:29:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Netflix Instant Watch recommendation thread  (Read 64838 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: May 23, 2013, 06:00:08 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 23, 2013, 03:50:11 PM

What do you mean what gets shown?  The stuff that's on the first page is just a small subset of what's currently popular.  They have 10's of thousands of movies streaming.  I would imagine if you're looking for a specific movie you have to do a search.

But he's running his monitor at a MUCH higher resolution than you.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 23, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 23, 2013, 03:50:11 PM

What do you mean what gets shown?  The stuff that's on the first page is just a small subset of what's currently popular.  They have 10's of thousands of movies streaming.  I would imagine if you're looking for a specific movie you have to do a search.

oh is that right?

I just thought what i saw is what i got

is that the same for TV as well then?..if there was something i couldn't see,it may still be in there if i used the search option?

Roku sounds quite decent may be something i will buy when i have some decent money,i watch Netflix through my TV with my PS3,and just have the streaming service(no DVDs)

nearly finished Arrested Development(5 episodes left,and then 15 on Sunday),gonna start Star Trek afterwards icon_biggrin

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: May 23, 2013, 07:58:11 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 23, 2013, 07:54:25 PM

gonna start Star Trek afterwards icon_biggrin

I'm holding off on the Next Gen ones in hopes they put up the remastered ones from the blu ray releases.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: May 23, 2013, 08:25:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 23, 2013, 07:58:11 PM

I'm holding off on the Next Gen ones in hopes they put up the remastered ones from the blu ray releases.

hmm,do you mean when they inserted new CGi?(they did this with TOS as well,right?),didn't they do that with DVD as well?..or do you just mean picture quality remastered?

and when you say hold off....are they going to replace them,or is it something you just hope they do?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: May 23, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 23, 2013, 08:25:45 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 23, 2013, 07:58:11 PM

hmm,do you mean when they inserted new CGi?(they did this with TOS as well,right?),didn't they do that with DVD as well?..or do you just mean picture quality remastered?

and when you say hold off....are they going to replace them,or is it something you just hope they do?

they remastered the CGI effects.  from IGN's review of the first season:

The show has been rebuilt from the ground up. Effects have been meticulously re-crafted and re-composited using the original film elements. Models, plates, mattes and other effects have been painstakingly redesigned to bring Trek to hi-def standards. To be frank, there has never been a restoration project this immeasurably daunting not even the vintage Trek series remasters, which swapped real models for effective, but cheaper-looking CG. The love for this show is infectious, and it shows. The results bring TNG to near theatrical quality. In fact, the effects here top some of the theatrical features, especially Trek V and VII.

they haven't announced any news about it, so I'm only hoping they replace them; from what I understand they did the same thing with the original series episodes that they are streaming.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #885 on: June 01, 2013, 05:31:53 AM »

I see that The Intouchables is now on Instant Watch.  It's a French movie so you get subtitles, but I thought it was really good; funny and touching and all that. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: June 02, 2013, 01:58:23 AM »

For those that like show Justified there's a simliar A&E series called Longmire tha'ts got the first season up on Netflix.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: June 03, 2013, 12:13:19 PM »

I finally have the US version of Netflix as well now, and there's some really nice movies and shows there to watch, and this great thread for recommendations. We watched Safety Not Guarenteed the other and I loved it. Besides that, I'm watching the Continuum show, which is pretty good, and we're going aboard in the second season of Walking dead, since the danish Netflix only had the first season - can't wait!

A new one
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: June 03, 2013, 01:07:57 PM »

How did you manage to get access to the US version in Denmark? 

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: June 03, 2013, 01:14:15 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on June 02, 2013, 01:58:23 AM

For those that like show Justified there's a simliar A&E series called Longmire tha'ts got the first season up on Netflix.

I really liked Longmire and am glad the second season has started. My wife always assumes I like it because "it has Starbuck in it" but that's not the case at all. She does a fine job... in a great ensemble cast where the sheriff is the stand-out character IMHO.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: June 03, 2013, 01:27:29 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 03, 2013, 01:07:57 PM

How did you manage to get access to the US version in Denmark?  

Through the wonders of this website : http://www.unblock-us.com/ - I also asked Netflix if it was okay to watch the US version when one had the danish account, and they had no issues with it whatsoever. I could watch the US, while my daugther watched the danish, and it was perfectly fine - As long as my IP adress showed me to be in the US, everything was good.

All I had to do was change the DNS settings on my PS3 which I use for netflix viewing, and go to the Unblock us website through the ps3 browser, select which country I wanted to be in (There are 10 different options, canada, US and great britian being amongst them) and then use a US account on the ps3. Its a lot easier on the PC, though, but still - its pretty cool.

There's a few shows we have in Denmark as well that the US doesnt, so the options just broaden (Dexter, amongst one).

EDIT: It *Should* all be legal, but in case I missed something somewhere, let me know and I'll remove the link to the company.

A new one
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: June 03, 2013, 01:45:34 PM »

Oh, i wasn't accusing you of doing anything illegal.  You've always struck me as a very honest person.  I was just curious how you were able to do it.  That's pretty cool, actually.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: June 03, 2013, 04:20:52 PM »

Yeah i do that as well,Razzles

TBH it never crossed my mind that it would be Illegal,but that's cool you got in touch with Netflix..I just went ahead with it without a care in the world icon_lol

but either way,i am not going back to the UK one,it stinks..US version kicks ass

US version
Star Trek TV Series -everyone of them,even the animated TV series
Mad Men
Destination Truth
Cheers

UK Version
Star Trek-None of them saywhat
Mad Men-none of them finger(its okay now,i am up to date thanks to US Netflix)
Destination Truth-None of them icon_evil
Cheers-None of them mad

fuck that!

FWIW i don't watch a lot of Films on Netflix,but TV programmes are great

quite surprised how much UK stuff is on the US Netflix though...however saying that,you guys seem to like our stuff more than i do(Sherlock is about it at the moment that i like Tongue)...oh yeah we have not got Sherlock either,US Netflix does(because i watched them)..typical Roll Eyes

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: June 03, 2013, 05:23:45 PM »

Escape from LA!

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: June 04, 2013, 01:39:37 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 03, 2013, 05:23:45 PM

Escape from LA!

Much like Highlander 2, I refuse to believe that film you mention was ever made.  That way my memory of the great original is unsullied.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: June 04, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »

coming this month to instant watch

Avail 6/7

Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection (2012) Comedy

Avail 6/12

Reincarnated (2012) Documentary

Silent Hill: Revelation (2012) Horror

Avail 6/17

The Bay (2012) Horror

Avail 6/20

Katy Perry: Part of Me (2012) Documentary

Avail 6/22

Family Weekend (2013) Comedy

The Avengers (2012) Action & Adventure

I'll check out Silent Hill,i already have The Avengers,not that bothered about the rest

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: June 04, 2013, 05:34:37 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 04, 2013, 01:39:37 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 03, 2013, 05:23:45 PM

Escape from LA!

Much like Highlander 2, I refuse to believe that film you mention was ever made.  That way my memory of the great original is unsullied.

I wonder if they will ever get the Highlander 2 Renegade version....

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: June 04, 2013, 06:34:13 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 04, 2013, 05:32:00 PM

coming this month to instant watch

Avail 6/7

Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection (2012) Comedy

Avail 6/12

Reincarnated (2012) Documentary

Silent Hill: Revelation (2012) Horror

Avail 6/17

The Bay (2012) Horror

Avail 6/20

Katy Perry: Part of Me (2012) Documentary

Avail 6/22

Family Weekend (2013) Comedy

The Avengers (2012) Action & Adventure

I'll check out Silent Hill,i already have The Avengers,not that bothered about the rest

The Bay wasn't a terrible shaky-cam flick but it wasn't great either. Which makes it perfect for Netflix. Will also catch the Silent Hill sequel which is supposed to be terrible but oh well. And The Avengers since I've only saw it the once in theaters.

Recently started watching A Gifted Man. Basically a gifted brain surgeon runs in to his ex-wife one night. They spend some time together. And then the next day he finds out his ex had died a few weeks ago.

The pilot for the show is pretty great. It keeps moving, the characters are pretty strong, and the setup is intriguing as well. But not sure what happened between the pilot and the actual show as there were some major changes. The show basically went from a heavy drama to a light drama with some comedic overtones. The main character is hardly anything like the one in the pilot and there are some additonal weak characters thrown in to supplement the show. Basically it turns in to Ghost Whisperer. Which for me sucks but my wife is eating it up - 12 more episodes to go.

The pilots worth checking out, it's also directed by Jonathan Demme, but the rest of the show I dunno if I can recommend that.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: June 06, 2013, 06:12:33 PM »

Netflix new series Orange is the new Black

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: June 06, 2013, 07:05:58 PM »

I've heard some good things about Gillian Anderson's mini series from overseas, The Fall.  It went up about a week ago.  I'm going to give it a go this weekend.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #900 on: June 06, 2013, 11:03:43 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on June 06, 2013, 06:12:33 PM

Netflix new series Orange is the new Black

That looks interesting enough, I'd definitely give it a try.  Looks like it hits July 11th with all episodes (as is usual for Netflix).

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: June 07, 2013, 06:44:12 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 06, 2013, 07:05:58 PM

I've heard some good things about Gillian Anderson's mini series from overseas, The Fall.  It went up about a week ago.  I'm going to give it a go this weekend.

Really? I just saw the blurp and Gillian Andersson and thought it was just a quick cash-in on her name, but now I'll have to check it out. Dam you, work - How can I combine you with Netflix US? :-D

A new one
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #902 on: June 07, 2013, 06:47:15 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 07, 2013, 06:44:12 AM

Quote from: hepcat on June 06, 2013, 07:05:58 PM

Really? I just saw the blurp and Gillian Andersson and thought it was just a quick cash-in on her name, but now I'll have to check it out. Dam you, work - How can I combine you with Netflix US? :-D

The average rating is 4.1 for over 17k votes, so I had to put it in my queue. 

It's very rare these days for anything new on Netflix to suggest more than 3 stars for me, except for the cases of brand new content that seems to be propped up by fake/sponsored votes until real people see it.  I don't know how many times lately I've put a new 3.5-4 star movie in my queue only to see it down near 2 by the time I get to it.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: June 07, 2013, 07:10:05 AM »

The Fall has been doing very well over here and BBC just commissioned to have another series made

Not watched it myself,but saw some good reviews for it in the papers

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: June 08, 2013, 04:53:50 PM »

I watched the French film Rebellion (L'ordre et la morale) last night and I have to say I was very impressed. It's in French with English subtitles so I'm not sure if it's exclusive to Netflix Canada and available to US subscribers. The film is about the rebellion and hostage taking by a group of New Caledonian, Kanak Tribesmen during 1988 and the response  by the Groupe d'Intervention de la Gendarmerie Nationale (GIGN) - a French national police counter-terrorism force. Its pretty much another depressing French colonial situation with the politiicans and army fucking up the excellent work of the GIGN. There isn't a lot of action in but what's there is excellent and realistically portrayed.

The film was written and directed by Mathieu Kassovitz, who also acted in the lead role - some might remember him as Robert from Steven Spielberg's Munich. If it's on your Netflix listing, I highly recommended this for anyone who likes military or films of this nature.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: June 08, 2013, 05:06:19 PM »

just checked, that one isn't on Netflix streaming in the states yet.  no dvd/blu ray either.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: June 09, 2013, 05:48:08 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 08, 2013, 05:06:19 PM

just checked, that one isn't on Netflix streaming in the states yet.  no dvd/blu ray either.

Amazon Canuckistan has it, but sadly no blu-ray and it's pricey for a DVD. My local discount retailer had it for a better price, but they're sold out. I'm sure it'll eventually show up state side, as the movie was critically acclaimed - 95% score on Rotten Tomatoes.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 05:53:07 AM by kronovan » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: July 19, 2013, 01:46:32 AM »

League of Gentlemen is up.

I am ashamed to say I've never seen the show before now.  I had heard it was great and kept trying to get around to it, always missing it by a little bit.

It does seem you have to watch it from the beginning, not just for some plot stuff, but also so you can adjust to the steadily dropping tone.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: August 03, 2013, 12:22:19 AM »

Fringe S5 is now up on Netflix. Just making my way thru S3 now and wow, what a great show.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: August 03, 2013, 02:15:07 AM »

2 and 3 were the best seasons. Four wasn't horrible but wasn't great either. The final fifth season was a major let down.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: August 04, 2013, 01:10:14 PM »

Quote from: Mystic95Z on August 03, 2013, 12:22:19 AM

Fringe S5 is now up on Netflix. Just making my way thru S3 now and wow, what a great show.

Actually the date for S5 is Sep 12th. They (Netflix) sent an email stating the first was in error....
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: August 04, 2013, 01:35:57 PM »

I was watching Let The Right One In on Netflix on the 360,and i accidentally knocked off the Share feature,now on every title it says not shared and i can't select it again(it's shaded out)..how do i turn it back on?

the lack of features on the 360 Netflix is kinda dogshit,as well as the way its all set out....PS3 is much better

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: August 04, 2013, 05:49:47 PM »

Quote from: Mystic95Z on August 04, 2013, 01:10:14 PM

Quote from: Mystic95Z on August 03, 2013, 12:22:19 AM

Actually the date for S5 is Sep 12th. They (Netflix) sent an email stating the first was in error....

I was wondering about that.  it only showed 4 seasons last night.

Because I can,
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: August 04, 2013, 08:25:36 PM »

Stargate is now on instant.

Jus' sayin'.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: August 04, 2013, 08:55:24 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on August 04, 2013, 08:25:36 PM

Jus' sayin'.

just the movies though, was hoping it was the series.

Because I can,
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: August 04, 2013, 09:25:09 PM »

That would be awesome... The series was much better than the movie IMHO.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: August 04, 2013, 10:02:52 PM »

Yeah, I was hoping for the series as well.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: August 05, 2013, 06:43:40 AM »

Quote from: ravenvii on August 04, 2013, 08:25:36 PM

Jus' sayin'.

yeah i saw that on there last night,gotta give that a watch,don't think i have seen it since the cinema,top flick!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 05, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »

Digimon!

Because I can,
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: August 05, 2013, 02:23:27 PM »

Watched The Intouchables over the weekend. It turned out much better than expected. Even reading subtitles the humor really comes through.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: