http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 06:09:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Netflix Instant Watch recommendation thread  (Read 62797 times)
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: April 23, 2013, 12:02:43 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on April 22, 2013, 08:24:05 PM

Hemlock Grove is a CW teen series with bad language and T and A. Why do all the High School kids look like they are in their late 20's?

On a scale of 1 to Spartacus, I find Hemlock Grove deficient in T, A, language, or gore.  Not one comparison to a deity's phallus and more than half the "season" done.  icon_biggrin

For those who have seen it, is there any question that the existence of  werewolves is a given in this universe and common knowledge?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 23, 2013, 01:24:28 AM »

Quote from: sgoldj on April 23, 2013, 12:02:43 AM

On a scale of 1 to Spartacus, I find Hemlock Grove deficient in T, A, language, or gore.  Not one comparison to a deity's phallus and more than half the "season" done.  icon_biggrin

by the cock of Hemlock!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 25, 2013, 02:46:37 AM »

I just finished Season 8 of Red Dwarf and started on the "season 9" mini-series called "Back To Earth".

While i loved the regular show, this continuation is some of the most painfully unfunny TV I've ever watched.  What a horrible way to go out.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 25, 2013, 03:17:06 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 25, 2013, 02:46:37 AM

I just finished Season 8 of Red Dwarf and started on the "season 9" mini-series called "Back To Earth".

While i loved the regular show, this continuation is some of the most painfully unfunny TV I've ever watched.  What a horrible way to go out.

Fortunately, they didn't go out on it, as there's a season 10.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, I actually enjoyed Back to Earth for what it was, but totally understand why most didn't care for it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 25, 2013, 02:32:29 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 25, 2013, 02:46:37 AM

Season 10 is pretty decent IMO, best stuff since season 6 or so.  Seven was where it really went down hill if I remember correctly.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 25, 2013, 02:58:06 PM »

Just found Red Dwarf Season 10 on blu ray at Best Buy for about 25 bucks a few weeks ago.  I had already seen the episodes, but in watching them again I was happy to find my first impression still rang true.  Season 10 is a great return to form for the show and the cast with some genuinely funny moments (Jesus of Nazareth becoming fascinated by shopping bags, Lister's "Father's Day" ritual, etc.).  Nothing will ever top the early years for sheer comic genius, but it was a worthy effort I recommend for any fan.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 05, 2013, 03:00:04 AM »

Looks like a couple of notables made it on to Netflix:

Cabin in the Woods, John Dies at the End, and the series Continium

All are worth checking out for their own reasons.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 05, 2013, 03:56:22 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on May 05, 2013, 03:00:04 AM

Cabin in the Woods, John Dies at the End, and the series Continium

All are worth checking out for their own reasons.

Gorrammit, I just bought John Dies at the End!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 06, 2013, 12:04:47 PM »

So, I kept watching Venture Bros in the hopes that it would click, and it finally did around episode 5 (the Bowie references totally won me over smile).  Will finish up Season 1, and am seriously considering dropping the $$ for Season 2 on iTunes. 

Seasons 3 and 4 are crazy expensive though...$30 and $37, respectively.  Not sure I'm up for that.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 06, 2013, 12:26:28 PM »

Yeah, Hemlock Grove. I have no idea what to make of it. I'm on the 3rd or 4th episode and it's really not very good, is largely nonsensical, has almost nothing going for it, yet I continue to work through it.

Maybe it's in hopes of some kind of a ha moment that makes it all worth it but I'm in no rush to continue with it though.

That said, there is one thing that I find refreshing about it:

Ep 3 or 4 spoiler re: Peter

Spoiler for Hiden:
They use actual wolves for the werewolves. Also I think Peter's transformation scene was the best one I've ever watched for a werewolf.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 06, 2013, 01:01:01 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 06, 2013, 12:04:47 PM

So, I kept watching Venture Bros in the hopes that it would click, and it finally did around episode 5 (the Bowie references totally won me over smile).  Will finish up Season 1, and am seriously considering dropping the $$ for Season 2 on iTunes.  

Seasons 3 and 4 are crazy expensive though...$30 and $37, respectively.  Not sure I'm up for that.

Even the boxed dvd sets?  I remember getting them for around 20 bucks each, if I recall correctly.  Or are you stickin' to digital content only?

...and yeah, Bowie as League leader is great.  But wait until you meet Morpheus' boss.  

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 05, 2013, 03:56:22 PM

Gorrammit, I just bought John Dies at the End!

I really, really enjoyed this one.  I laughed like a moron when John's friend tries to escape a basement in an early scene by running up the stairs and going for the doorknob.  It suddenly turns into a penis and he screams, "This door CANNOT be opened!"  The way he says that just made laugh out loud.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 01:05:23 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 06, 2013, 02:01:56 PM »

Over the weekend we watched John Dies At The End as well as episodes 1-9 of Hemlock Grove.

Now, despite the fact that she is a veterinary technician and has seen internal organs, cancer, and other nasty things, my wife is very squeamish when it comes to eyes.  John Dies features a set of exploding eyeballs and Hemlock Grove's transformation scene features eyeballs popping out of the sockets.  Needless to say, neither scene was well received by her.  smile

Years back when we first watched Kill Bill there is the scene (in Part 2) that involves an eye being plucked from it's socket.  Having seen it before I was able to warn her to look away before it happened but I had forgotten about the follow up and told her it was OK to look and she was just in time to catch the eyeball being squished between toes.  She is still pissed at me about that.   icon_confused

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 06, 2013, 04:27:10 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 06, 2013, 01:01:01 PM

So, I kept watching Venture Bros in the hopes that it would click, and it finally did around episode 5 (the Bowie references totally won me over smile).  Will finish up Season 1, and am seriously considering dropping the $$ for Season 2 on iTunes.  

Seasons 3 and 4 are crazy expensive though...$30 and $37, respectively.  Not sure I'm up for that.

Even the boxed dvd sets?  I remember getting them for around 20 bucks each, if I recall correctly.  Or are you stickin' to digital content only?

Trying to do digital, as 90% of my TV watching is laying in bed with the iPad (no TV in the room). 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 06, 2013, 04:39:45 PM »

Ah...yeah.  I really don't understand the pricing model of digital content sometimes.  I can usually find much cheaper hard copies of movies.  You'd think the lack of any overhead beyond hosting the content would make it cheaper to buy in a digital format. 

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 06, 2013, 04:49:13 PM »

I finally caught up on the indy, Blair Witch Project-y, "The Frankenstein Theory" on Netflix after mixing it during its extremely abbreviated/limited theatrical run.

While I think the idea is pretty cool (an ancestor of Dr. Frankenstein thinks Frankenstein's monster is real and running amuck in the upper Canada/North Pole regions committing murders here and there, and thus gathers a team to search for him), the execution does, imho, eventually boil down to too close of a Blair Witch Project knockoff without a fresh angle, and too much of a requirement of ostensibly smart characters making incredibly stupid decisions, as if the screenwriter/director watched Prometheus too many times. biggrin

So no, I don't recommend The Frankenstein Theory. However, if someone else got to use the idea to make a better movie, I still think the initial jumping off point is a cool concept.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: May 06, 2013, 04:53:11 PM »

So, I kept watching Venture Bros in the hopes that it would click, and it finally did around episode 5 (the Bowie references totally won me over smile).  Will finish up Season 1, and am seriously considering dropping the $$ for Season 2 on iTunes. 

Seasons 3 and 4 are crazy expensive though...$30 and $37, respectively.  Not sure I'm up for that.

I'm glad you stuck with it.  This show just got better every season for me, and after watching all 4 seasons, I find that they are just as funny or better the 2nd time around.  If I am flipping channels and see them on, I always end up watching.  Season 5 premeirs on Cartoon Network on June 2nd I think.  Now I just need seasons 2-4 to appear on Netflix....
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 06, 2013, 05:13:36 PM »

Cabin in the Woods...

Nice. Been waiting for that one.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 06, 2013, 05:18:36 PM »

You haven't seen it yet, Pete?  If so, I envy you.  Such a fun movie.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 06, 2013, 06:25:53 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 06, 2013, 04:39:45 PM

Ah...yeah.  I really don't understand the pricing model of digital content sometimes.  I can usually find much cheaper hard copies of movies.  You'd think the lack of any overhead beyond hosting the content would make it cheaper to buy in a digital format.  

For some reason, animated shows seem to be the worst culprit in terms of pricing.  I really liked "Ugly Americans" and wanted to watch the second season, but they split the season in half and were asking something like $28 per half of the season.  Metalocalypse was also around $30/season, and those are far shorter episodes.  Not sure why they're so crazy expensive.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:27:58 PM by Gratch » Logged

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: May 06, 2013, 06:26:37 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 06, 2013, 05:13:36 PM

Cabin in the Woods...

Nice. Been waiting for that one.

Same here.  I've steered clear because I don't typically enjoy horror movies, but might make an exception for that one.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: May 06, 2013, 06:28:03 PM »

Cabin and Dale and Tucker are truly brilliant takes on the genre.  But if you're not at least passing familiar with the history and tropes, you're not going to get it.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #861 on: May 06, 2013, 06:44:31 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 06, 2013, 06:28:03 PM

Cabin and Dale and Tucker are truly brilliant takes on the genre.  But if you're not at least passing familiar with the history and tropes, you're not going to get it.

Hmm, I thought Cabin in the Woods was more of a "real" horror film.  Is it along the lines of Tucker and Dale?  I loved that movie despite not being a big fan of horror in general (but of course I know the tropes).

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 06, 2013, 06:55:39 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 06, 2013, 06:44:31 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 06, 2013, 06:28:03 PM

Cabin and Dale and Tucker are truly brilliant takes on the genre.  But if you're not at least passing familiar with the history and tropes, you're not going to get it.

Hmm, I thought Cabin in the Woods was more of a "real" horror film.  Is it along the lines of Tucker and Dale?  I loved that movie despite not being a big fan of horror in general (but of course I know the tropes).

The Cabin in the Woods certainly has more legitimate scares and gore. It's still comedic, though.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: May 06, 2013, 06:56:20 PM »

It's rated R, and I'd say it's more true to the horror roots than T&D, but it's certainly not a typical horror film.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 06, 2013, 06:58:44 PM »

Cabin is sort of like the first Scream film in that it plays with the conventions of a horror film without being derisive or preachy.  I also like it quite a bit more than the first Scream film.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 06, 2013, 09:56:16 PM »

My brother and I caught Cabin in the Woods in April a year ago. I just wish the theater had been packed. It felt like the best movie that nobody (apparently) wanted to see -- the theater was nearly empty and some people even walked out in the middle of it.

It's just, the movie is so reliant on its twists/shocks that I don't know if I'd want to see it again. I really had managed to avoid spoilers before it so I really did get to feel surprised even if I had an idea in the back of my mind how things would go.

I've noticed Tucker and Dale, but the little Netflix summary makes it sound like the worst thing or the best thing ever. And often when I roll the dice, I end up with stuff like ATM and The Frankenstein Theory. If you guys swear by Tucker and Dale, perhaps I'll give it a try. smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: May 06, 2013, 10:03:02 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 06, 2013, 09:56:16 PM

I've noticed Tucker and Dale, but the little Netflix summary makes it sound like the worst thing or the best thing ever. And often when I roll the dice, I end up with stuff like ATM and The Frankenstein Theory. If you guys swear by Tucker and Dale, perhaps I'll give it a try. smile

I typically don't enjoy horror movies at all, but was thoroughly entertained by Tucker and Dale.  A strong cast combined with the sheer absurdity of it all make it an absolute blast.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 06, 2013, 10:20:48 PM »

I started watching Poolboy: Drowning Out the Fury but the video quality was horrible.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: May 06, 2013, 11:12:46 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 06, 2013, 10:03:02 PM

I typically don't enjoy horror movies at all, but was thoroughly entertained by Tucker and Dale.  A strong cast combined with the sheer absurdity of it all make it an absolute blast.

For the first 5 minutes of Tucker and Dale I thought I had made a big mistake in watching it.  Then it switches narratives rather abruptly and it went from horrible to just plain fun.  I highly recommend it.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: May 07, 2013, 02:30:10 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 06, 2013, 11:12:46 PM

Quote from: Gratch on May 06, 2013, 10:03:02 PM

For the first 5 minutes of Tucker and Dale I thought I had made a big mistake in watching it.  Then it switches narratives rather abruptly and it went from horrible to just plain fun.  I highly recommend it.

I used to be a big horror fan as a kid.  I've since grown away from the genre, but am well-versed in horror tropes and really enjoyed Tucker and Dale. 

Quote from: hepcat on May 06, 2013, 05:18:36 PM

You haven't seen it yet, Pete?  If so, I envy you.  Such a fun movie.

Nope, haven't seen it yet as I've been anxiously waiting for it to make its way onto Netflix.  And I've somehow managed to avoid every possible spoiler, so I am going in COMPLETELY blind.  I really wish I didn't have a pharmacogenomics cumulative final exam tomorrow, although as I only need to score a 67% to keep my current grade, watching Cabin tonight is looking more and more likely.  ninja

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: May 07, 2013, 02:34:58 AM »

Just remember:  Merman.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 07, 2013, 02:54:08 PM »

Tucker and Dale was a hoot, caught it last night. I think my favorite line was...
"They cut off his... BOWLING FINGERS!" smile

It's always fun to play with stereotypes. I don't think movies do that often enough.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Alan Tudyk (Firefly, Serenity and currently on screen as a bigot baseball team manager in "42") and Tyler Labine (who has been in a couple of my favorite, short-lived shows the last several years - Reaper, and Mad Love). I just recognize their faces, more than their names -- I probably would've seen it much sooner if I'd realized who they were. smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 07, 2013, 03:29:59 PM »

Then yuo need to watch Cabin in the Woods if you haven't.  It's co-written by Joss Whedon and has Fran Kranz in it, formerly Topher of Dollhouse

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 07, 2013, 04:34:21 PM »

One of my favorite scenes in Tucker and Dale is when Tudyk's character is running from bees...while a teenager is running from what he believes is Tudyk the maniac.  Tudyk eventually catches up with and then runs past the "victim" and Tudyk's bemused look as he glances over at the other runner is worth the entire film.   icon_lol

TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 07, 2013, 08:47:57 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 07, 2013, 02:30:10 AM

I really wish I didn't have a pharmacogenomics cumulative final exam tomorrow, although as I only need to score a 67% to keep my current grade

Nothing like floating thru grad school with a 67% average... I assume that's what you meant.  icon_biggrin
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: May 07, 2013, 08:54:45 PM »

Quote from: TheEgoWhip on May 07, 2013, 08:47:57 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on May 07, 2013, 02:30:10 AM

I really wish I didn't have a pharmacogenomics cumulative final exam tomorrow, although as I only need to score a 67% to keep my current grade

Nothing like floating thru grad school with a 67% average... I assume that's what you meant.  icon_biggrin

No.  I need a 67% on the final exam to keep my A average.  In pharmacy school anything less than a C is considered "failing".  And to earn a residency I need to keep as close to a 4.0 as possible.  Trust me.  There's no "floating."
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:03:49 PM by PeteRock » Logged

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 23, 2013, 03:24:36 PM »

I noticed on Netflix last night that not everything on there is shown

I saw Oldboy on there and looked for Lady Vengeance(i have SFMV on DVD),couldn't find it..but i did a search anyway and put it in,and it was there available...did another look afterwards in what was shown and still could not see it anywhere

So is there some kind of rotation on what gets shown,or does Netflix expect the search option to get used a lot?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #877 on: May 23, 2013, 03:50:11 PM »

What do you mean what gets shown?  The stuff that's on the first page is just a small subset of what's currently popular.  They have 10's of thousands of movies streaming.  I would imagine if you're looking for a specific movie you have to do a search.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 23, 2013, 05:28:51 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 23, 2013, 03:50:11 PM

What do you mean what gets shown?  The stuff that's on the first page is just a small subset of what's currently popular.  They have 10's of thousands of movies streaming.  I would imagine if you're looking for a specific movie you have to do a search.

I find their website is better for looking for stuff, but they really need a proper new releases list.  the section they have isn't updated all the time.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 23, 2013, 05:31:35 PM »

I haven't so far bothered with adding DVDs to my subscription, but my understanding is that Netflix also has a ton more stuff on DVDs available that hasn't yet been OK'd by studios for streaming yet.

Although I use Roku player to watch Netflix on my TV, I have found the iOS app interface much snappier in doing searches for stuff. Also, in the app, you get a few images for "other movies you might like" suggestions on a movie screen, and I don't think the pages on Roku have that.

The latest Roku update does add the ability to search by actor, director, etc. across all channels (including Netflix) and that is handy for finding stuff, although it seems inevitably what I dig up there isn't on Netflix streaming yet.

So sometimes I use the app to track down films to put in the que and then watch on TV later. I've actually enjoyed watching some smaller films on my iPad, although the time I started falling asleep and almost dropped my iPad off the side of my bed has made me think better about using it there.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: