http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 08:57:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Netflix Instant Watch recommendation thread  (Read 63043 times)
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 11, 2013, 07:27:18 PM »

I just watched "Jeff, Who Lives at Home" and really enjoyed it. I would recommend it to anyone who likes character driven films.

Oh, and my wife STILL complains about Nazis at the Center of the Earth. I liked it. I mean, it was super horrible, but the payoff at the end was worth the 90 minutes preceding it.
MonkeyFinger
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 13, 2013, 03:59:49 PM »

Quote from: WorkingMike on January 11, 2013, 07:27:18 PM

Oh, and my wife STILL complains about Nazis at the Center of the Earth. I liked it. I mean, it was super horrible, but the payoff at the end was worth the 90 minutes preceding it.

You're right, it was super horrible.  icon_razz

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #762 on: January 17, 2013, 07:12:33 AM »

Looks like Netflix has made a deal with WB and Turner that should bring shows from Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, WB Animation and TNT to streaming.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 17, 2013, 07:31:11 AM »

Netflix is awesome- I just got it last december and am loving it. I understand we don't have as big a catalogue yet as the US does, but with all these new deals, I see more and more stuff being added every day to it.
Its not new stuff, but its a LOT Of good stuff. For instance, they have all of buffy, so I'm using that to educate my youngest girl, and so far, after 1˝ season she is loving it :-)

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 17, 2013, 01:06:06 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 17, 2013, 07:12:33 AM

Looks like Netflix has made a deal with WB and Turner that should bring shows from Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, WB Animation and TNT to streaming.

If this brings my holy grail to my living room, I'm going to plotz.

For years, I have been trying to effectively watch Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.  CN owns the rights (they aired it once a bunch of years ago, and I missed it), but they've done nothing with it.

Fingers crossed.

EDIT:  Plus, this is happening on my birthday!  Are the stars aligning?!

Happy to be getting Children's Hospital, anyway.  Only watched two seasons of that one, but loved it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 01:07:47 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: January 17, 2013, 02:11:46 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 17, 2013, 07:12:33 AM

Robot Chicken on March 30th!!!
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 17, 2013, 02:21:34 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 17, 2013, 01:06:06 PM

For years, I have been trying to effectively watch Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.  CN owns the rights (they aired it once a bunch of years ago, and I missed it), but they've done nothing with it.

I saw all of them when CN ran them on Adult Swim years ago and I fell in love with it.  

Sanchez was hilarious.  With Dagless being a close second.

"She WAS like a candle in the wind...unreliable."

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 26, 2013, 10:52:37 PM »

I've been watching Todd and the Book of Pure Evil (halfway through the 2nd season) and I'm really enjoying it. Like some here, I was put off at first by what looked like your standard  juvenile high school stoner vibe, but I'm glad I stuck with it. The later episodes are really funny. I like the interplay between's Todd's gang and of course there's Hannah  icon_wink. Granted there are still silly and juvenile/crass elements about it, but it's still pretty enjoyable for me. Sucks that there won't be a third season.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:55:56 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 26, 2013, 11:47:36 PM »

I love the 3 stoner dudes that hang out in front of the school.

"Loser" hahahaha

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 27, 2013, 04:10:30 AM »

Wolf rape!

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 31, 2013, 05:33:52 PM »

I watched a documentary called Indie Game last night. It follows two groups of developers (each comprising of only two people) each trying to make an XBOX Live Arcade game. It didn't go too much into the game industry, but it did give you a good picture of what it's like to be on such a small team making a game. The short version is that is looks completely shitty and stressful. It's not too surprising that two of the people they concentrate on seem pretty depressed. It's definitely worth watching if you have an interest in games (and if you don't, why the hell are you on GamingTrend?).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: February 05, 2013, 04:23:29 AM »

I see they just put up all 3 Naked Gun films.  time to revisit the Police Squad biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 10, 2013, 12:16:23 AM »

I despise about 99% of American sitcoms.  I find nearly all of them unfunny, boring, cliched, and a complete waste of time.  Oddly, I thoroughly enjoy most of the British sitcoms I've watched.  Maybe it's the style of the humor, maybe it's the fact they're a bit more uncensored, maybe it's just the accents, whatever it is I can sit down and watch British sitcoms and generally get a good laugh out of them.  The IT Crowd, Spaced, Black's Books, Mitchell & Webb, etc., etc...they all amuse me to no end.

Watched the first couple seasons of Coupling during my business trip last week, and am finding it quite well done.  It seems to be the English equivalent of Friends, but with more likeable characters, far better writing, and a couple of smoking hot women.   

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: February 10, 2013, 12:47:08 AM »

Is anyone else watching the Netflix original show "House of Cards"?  Watched the first 5 episodes so far and they are pretty good. 
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 10, 2013, 12:55:07 AM »

Quote from: TheEgoWhip on February 10, 2013, 12:47:08 AM

Is anyone else watching the Netflix original show "House of Cards"?  Watched the first 5 episodes so far and they are pretty good. 

Watched the whole season and it was pretty good - but if the BBC original is still available on Instant, I would -highly- recommend watching it first (or instead). It's a much more outstanding series.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: February 10, 2013, 03:22:43 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 10, 2013, 12:16:23 AM

I despise about 99% of American sitcoms.  I find nearly all of them unfunny, boring, cliched, and a complete waste of time.  Oddly, I thoroughly enjoy most of the British sitcoms I've watched.  Maybe it's the style of the humor, maybe it's the fact they're a bit more uncensored, maybe it's just the accents, whatever it is I can sit down and watch British sitcoms and generally get a good laugh out of them.  The IT Crowd, Spaced, Black's Books, Mitchell & Webb, etc., etc...they all amuse me to no end.

Watched the first couple seasons of Coupling during my business trip last week, and am finding it quite well done.  It seems to be the English equivalent of Friends, but with more likeable characters, far better writing, and a couple of smoking hot women.   

What it is is that we get the good British sitcoms here.  They don't send over the bad ones. A lot of Brits don't understand how we like their shows when ours are so good.  That's because we only send them our good ones.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 11, 2013, 01:34:08 AM »

I never found the IT Crowd all that funny, to be honest.  Spaced I enjoyed.  But I would say there's just as much dreck on a proportionate scale on British tv.  We just make a metric ton of tv shows in comparison.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 11, 2013, 02:45:47 PM »

How far into the IT Crowd did you make it?  I find that it really starts picking up in the second season.

Also, Matt Berry (Dr. Sanchez) joins the show then.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 11, 2013, 04:12:25 PM »

The GREAT Matt Berry you say?

<runs off to start watching season 2 of IT Crowd>

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: February 11, 2013, 04:24:46 PM »

Berry is hilarious in IT Crowd. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: February 11, 2013, 04:37:01 PM »

He's hilarious...period.

(sorry if I've posted that numerous times)

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 21, 2013, 02:13:43 PM »

Almost through the entire season of House of Cards and I've decided I don't like it- with two eps left.

Spacey is his typical great self (but there's just too much of him).

All of the characters are grade A scumbags and I pretty much don't like any of them. Thus there's no one to root for and I wish the whole lot of them ill- so it's an accurate portrayal of the Hill I'd say.

That said, I could get through that, but I just finished episode 11 and it has totally stretched the bounds of plausibility.

Major Spoiler late season spoiler

Spoiler for Hiden:
The fact that he murdered Pete Russo is just poor writing and I don't buy that Underwood would go that far.  Also, it was totally unnecessary. The show is fun when Frank is responding to situations outside of his control and spin doctoring his way back through the minefields.  Committing murder is just sloppy sloppy and knocks the whole season down quite a few pegs.

Overall, I'm giving it 3 stars.  That's in the I'll give season two a try, but probably won't make it the whole way category.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 21, 2013, 02:29:16 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 11, 2013, 04:37:01 PM

He's hilarious...period.

(sorry if I've posted that numerous times)

icon_lol  Apparently I need to add Snuff Box to the queue.

Has Red Dwarf always been on Netflix streaming, or is it a recent add?  It came up on my recommended list for the first time last week.  Not that I'm complaining, just odd that I hadn't seen it there before.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 21, 2013, 02:53:48 PM »

It showed up a few months ago, if I remember correctly.  The first 6 or 7 seasons are comedy gold that I can't recommend highly enough.  Red Dwarf seasons 8 and above are hit and miss.  Season 10 (which just came out) was a welcome return to form in my opinion...but still misses the greatness of those early years.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 21, 2013, 03:25:26 PM »

Snuff Box is a must-watch, for sure.  In fact, it prompted me to start this thread.

Having just recently gone through all of it (except for 10, which isn't streaming yet, AFAIK), I would say Red Dwarf is hit or miss throughout its run.  I caught a couple of episodes on PBS or some such years ago, and just found it very weak.  Never bothered to watch it.  When I decided to give it a go in the Fall, I still almost quit during the first season.  However, then it started to click with me, and even the weaker episodes became enjoyable just because I was interested in the characters.  There are a lot of episodes that are fantastic, and they have some good runs along the way with several really great ones in a row, but it's definitely up and down.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 21, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »

I've seen nearly all of Red Dwarf already (watching Red/Green then Red Dwarf on PBS was Mrs. Gratch and I's Friday night routine for years), but am looking forward to actually watching them in order.

sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 21, 2013, 11:35:43 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 21, 2013, 02:13:43 PM

Almost through the entire season of House of Cards and I've decided I don't like it- with two eps left.

All of the characters are grade A scumbags and I pretty much don't like any of them. Thus there's no one to root for and I wish the whole lot of them ill- so it's an accurate portrayal of the Hill I'd say.

That said, I could get through that, but I just finished episode 11 and it has totally stretched the bounds of plausibility.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The fact that he murdered Pete Russo is just poor writing and I don't buy that Underwood would go that far.  Also, it was totally unnecessary. The show is fun when Frank is responding to situations outside of his control and spin doctoring his way back through the minefields.  Committing murder is just sloppy sloppy and knocks the whole season down quite a few pegs.

Overall, I'm giving it 3 stars.  That's in the I'll give season two a try, but probably won't make it the whole way category.

I felt the same way about Sopranos. All thugs, and the world would be better off without them if the vacuum was filled.

About that spoiler:
Spoiler for Hiden:
seems to me that was right in line with the very first scene commenting on the two types of pain and what happened to the dog.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 22, 2013, 06:08:15 PM »

I saw Starship Troopers 3 on the UI and started it up out of curiosity. Watched 10 minutes and had to stop. Who let this movie be made?

On a more positive note, I watched Lockout last night. Not a perfect movie by any means, but I enjoyed it. Guy Pearce was great.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:10:59 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 22, 2013, 11:14:08 PM »

Safety Not Guaranteed was pretty good. I seem to enjoy the Duplass brothers, so i'll be keeping an eye out for other stuff by them.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #789 on: February 23, 2013, 02:05:41 AM »

Quote from: WorkingMike on February 22, 2013, 11:14:08 PM

Safety Not Guaranteed was pretty good. I seem to enjoy the Duplass brothers, so i'll be keeping an eye out for other stuff by them.

Yeah, I enjoyed Safety Not Guaranteed quite a bit as well.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 23, 2013, 02:55:17 AM »

Quote from: sgoldj on February 21, 2013, 11:35:43 PM

Quote from: ATB on February 21, 2013, 02:13:43 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

I felt the same way about Sopranos. All thugs, and the world would be better off without them if the vacuum was filled.

About that spoiler:
Spoiler for Hiden:
seems to me that was right in line with the very first scene commenting on the two types of pain and what happened to the dog.

Yeah, that makes sense,

Spoiler for Hiden:
but Peter didn't need to be put out of his misery. He'd fallen off the wagon, had his kids to live for and his girlfriend.  Straight up murder seems beneath underwood even if all his work was at stake. Again, seems like the show would have him use his bargaining and scheming skills rather than just kill the guy.

I literally have no interest in finishing the season at this time. I got 90 seconds into the next ep and was like, I don't even want to watch this anymore.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 23, 2013, 07:18:12 AM »

Red Hill - totally contemporary, totally Australian, but one of the most entertaining Westerns I've seen in quite a while. The main character is played by Ryan Kwanten -Jason Stackhouse of True Blood- and the antagonist is Australian Steve Bisley, who once upon a time played a young bad ass in Mad Max. I like a lot of things about this film, but the cinematography, editing and the acting are  pretty damn good across the board. It's a fairly typical Western-styled revenge story, but IMO it's presented better than most. It showed up on Netflix Canuckistan recently, so I don't know if it's on Flix USA, but if it is I highly recommend this to anyone who's ever enjoyed a Western.   thumbsup
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:20:23 AM by kronovan » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #792 on: February 23, 2013, 08:13:05 AM »

I see that Louis C.K.'s Live at the Beacon Theater is available now.  Very worth watching if you enjoy his comedy and didn't pay the $5 for it on his website before.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: February 24, 2013, 08:48:53 PM »

I watched both Drive and Haywire today. Very different movies but I would highly recommend both. I think Drive is sort of love/hate around here but I found it incredibly compelling. Haywire was just fun. Gina Carano was pretty awesome.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: February 25, 2013, 08:25:24 PM »

Drive has a love/hate existence EVERYWHERE, not just here.  Personally, I loved it, but that love got me into a lengthy argument on GT at one point.  I don't wanna go down that road again...

And I also believe Red Hill is great fun.  It's a modern day western through and through.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: February 25, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 25, 2013, 08:25:24 PM

Drive has a love/hate existence EVERYWHERE, not just here.  Personally, I loved it, but that love got me into a lengthy argument on GT at one point.  I don't wanna go down that road again...

wasn't that the one that was anti-Semitic?  icon_wink

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #796 on: March 03, 2013, 07:17:53 AM »

I just watched Headhunters and thought it was quite good.  It's like a Norwegian combination of The Thomas Crown Affair and The Bourne Identity, as odd as that may sound. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 03, 2013, 09:02:41 AM »

just watched Get the Gringo, which was a nice return to form for Mel Gibson.  like mentioned before, it was kinda like Payback in Mexico, but it felt different enough to be fresh.

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 03, 2013, 02:12:41 PM »

I watched "Robot and Frank" last night which I thought was excellent, check it out if you get the chance. It wasn't on Netflix so I Redbox'd it and had an interesting issue that you couldn't have with Netflix. Their disks are checked by peoples when returned while RB movies just get stuffed back into the machine. This one had a hitchhiker under the official disk, a DVD-R with (after I tracked down one of the quotes) a copy of "30 Nights of Paranormal Activity with the Devil Inside the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" burned on it. Not sure why someone would do that, at least make it something worth watching.  icon_confused

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 03, 2013, 02:46:14 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 24, 2013, 08:48:53 PM

I watched both Drive and Haywire today. Very different movies but I would highly recommend both. I think Drive is sort of love/hate around here but I found it incredibly compelling. Haywire was just fun. Gina Carano was pretty awesome.

I did the same double-feature a while back.  I wanted to enjoy Drive, and for the most part I did, but it got a little...I guess I would say...odd...in the final 1/3 of the film.  I'm glad to have seen it, but more in a way that I'm glad I saw Oldboy, in terms of having experienced it, but don't really feel compelled to again.

Haywire, on the other hand, had decent action, but overall it felt rushed, disorganized, and seemed almost as if it suffered from ADD.  I'm glad to have watched it, but equally glad I never made it a blind purchase.

I checked out Lockout a few weeks ago, and Guy Pearce was fun to watch.  It was fine for what it was, a mindless action flick stuffed with one-liners.  Not a quality movie by any critical standards, but I don't feel like I need to try to get those two hours back as restitution.

Two nights ago I decided to give Middle Men a try.  I had always been curious about it since its release as I typically enjoy Luke Wilson.  It's about the rise of internet porn in the 90's, detailing the ingenuity of two drugged-out entrepreneurs and their partnership with business-savvy Jack Harris.  It is "inspired by a true story", so some of the events can likely be taken with a grain of salt, but I found myself compelled to watch the film to its conclusion. 

Quote from: CeeKay on March 03, 2013, 09:02:41 AM

just watched Get the Gringo, which was a nice return to form for Mel Gibson.  like mentioned before, it was kinda like Payback in Mexico, but it felt different enough to be fresh.

I've been curious about that one.  I enjoyed Payback for what it was, and wondered if this was a comparable style of film.  Perhaps I'll give it a try.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: