http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 05:12:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Netflix Instant Watch recommendation thread  (Read 69992 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: December 16, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 16, 2012, 03:08:55 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on December 10, 2012, 04:41:14 PM

Quote from: hepcat on November 30, 2012, 05:41:20 PM

If you want a goofy, fun time then check out Todd and the Book of Pure Evil.

It's basically Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure meets The Evil Dead.  It starts off slow but develops an almost Joss Whedon like storyline by the end of the first season.  I had a blast with the show.  Atticus steals every scene he's in.

I second this.  It's a bit like John Dies at the End the TV series.  Both musical episodes are also fantastic, the second being a true musical with some really great funny songs.

Hoping it picks up then, because I'm fairly unimpressed after 3 episodes.  So far, its a wannabe Buffy without the funny or the great dialog.

I turned it off after the first two minutes.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: December 16, 2012, 07:46:05 PM »

It's basically Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure meets The Evil Dead.  It starts off slow but develops an almost Joss Whedon like storyline by the end of the first season.  I had a blast with the show.  Atticus steals every scene he's in.

I second this.  It's a bit like John Dies at the End the TV series.  Both musical episodes are also fantastic, the second being a true musical with some really great funny songs.

Hoping it picks up then, because I'm fairly unimpressed after 3 episodes.  So far, its a wannabe Buffy without the funny or the great dialog.

It's definitely not a wannabe Buffy, it's going for something different.  It's much more over the top and intentionally cheesy.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: December 17, 2012, 04:15:01 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 15, 2012, 07:11:07 PM

Netflix Canuckistan got Red Tails this past week. I found it pretty damn cheesy, but fun none the less. I thought Terrence Howard put in a fairly convincing performance though as the Colonel in charge of the Tuskegee squadron, lobbying their cause in Washington. A number of the cast were actually quite decent. The funny thing about it is that weakest performances were from the white actors, some of who were just terrible. Well maybe that's fitting considering the subject matter. slywink  I'd be comfortable recommending it to any fan of military action films.

hopefully that one comes to US Netflix soon.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: December 17, 2012, 02:24:12 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 16, 2012, 03:23:03 PM

It's basically Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure meets The Evil Dead.  It starts off slow but develops an almost Joss Whedon like storyline by the end of the first season.  I had a blast with the show.  Atticus steals every scene he's in.

I second this.  It's a bit like John Dies at the End the TV series.  Both musical episodes are also fantastic, the second being a true musical with some really great funny songs.

Hoping it picks up then, because I'm fairly unimpressed after 3 episodes.  So far, its a wannabe Buffy without the funny or the great dialog.

So the credits didn't make you laugh?  I feel your pain.  The font they used for "director" was just NOT witty enough. 

I think from now on, I'll just use you and Gratch as my personal critics.  If you guys hate something, I know I'll like it.   icon_wink

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: December 17, 2012, 03:25:45 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 17, 2012, 02:24:12 PM

I think from now on, I'll just use you and Gratch as my personal critics.  If you guys hate something, I know I'll like it.   icon_wink

icon_lol

I watched a couple more episodes last night, and it's slowly growing on me.  Still don't think it's anything great, but since nothing else is really grabbing me at the moment, I'm going to at least give it through Season 1.  Side note:  I didn't even recognize Jason Mewes outside of the "Jay" persona.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: December 17, 2012, 03:31:13 PM »

As I noted earlier, it starts off really slow.  I honestly was about to give up on it after the first two episodes.  Then they had a scene with the puppet Baby Todd playing thrash guitar and his sidekick dressed as a Viking and riding a flying motorcycle in one of Todd's dream sequence.  That convinced me to stick around.  I think once you hit the musical episode, you'll warm to it even more.  Yeah, it's got some weak moments, but it's got enough funny moments to make it worth wading through those.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: December 17, 2012, 03:52:05 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 17, 2012, 02:24:12 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 16, 2012, 03:23:03 PM

It's basically Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure meets The Evil Dead.  It starts off slow but develops an almost Joss Whedon like storyline by the end of the first season.  I had a blast with the show.  Atticus steals every scene he's in.

I second this.  It's a bit like John Dies at the End the TV series.  Both musical episodes are also fantastic, the second being a true musical with some really great funny songs.

Hoping it picks up then, because I'm fairly unimpressed after 3 episodes.  So far, its a wannabe Buffy without the funny or the great dialog.

So the credits didn't make you laugh?  I feel your pain.  The font they used for "director" was just NOT witty enough. 

I didn't get to the credits.  It was an awful, grating concert with forced "edgy" dialogue, poorly delivered, in what was clearly going to be a trite dream sequence.  Plus the guy's face bugged me.

In truth, I had to turn it off because my wife was sleeping on the couch and my daughter was in the next room and in that short time they had something about pussies and sexy she-bitches.  I might have given it more of a chance in other circumstances, but it didn't compel me to give it another shot, either.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: December 17, 2012, 04:08:49 PM »

Once you realize they're making fun of those conventions, not reveling in them, it makes more sense thematically.  And as I said, the first two or three episodes are rather weak.  They don't find their footing until midway into the season.  

Plus the guy's face bugged me.

That doesn't change throughout the entire run of the show.

p.s. "edgy"?  I think you have a different definition of edgy than I do.  Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was about as far from that word as possible...and so is this.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 04:23:46 PM by hepcat » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 17, 2012, 10:26:56 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 17, 2012, 04:08:49 PM

Once you realize they're making fun of those conventions, not reveling in them, it makes more sense thematically.  And as I said, the first two or three episodes are rather weak.  They don't find their footing until midway into the season.  

Plus the guy's face bugged me.

That doesn't change throughout the entire run of the show.

p.s. "edgy"?  I think you have a different definition of edgy than I do.  Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was about as far from that word as possible...and so is this.

Well, as I say, it was a dream sequence at the beginning where he was being an ideal cool version of himself.

I don't actually mean to criticize as I really can't having only seen a snippet and most comedies take a couple of episodes to find their tone.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: December 18, 2012, 08:16:47 AM »

They've finally added season 2 of The Avengers : Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 18, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »

Man, I wish they hadn't cancelled The Avengers animated series.  I think it's one of those rare, real attempts at making a decent Marvel cartoon that comes even remotely close to matching the greatness of those coming out of the DC Animated studios.  Highly recommend watching both seasons on Netflix!

Oh, and add The Black Panther animated series to your queue if you like the Avengers animated show.  It's really quite good too.

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 17, 2012, 10:26:56 PM

I don't actually mean to criticize as I really can't having only seen a snippet and most comedies take a couple of episodes to find their tone.

It's all good.  I was just being cranky yesterday.  We'll share a beer over it if I can ever convince you to come to chicago for one of biannual board gaming get togethers.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:00:29 PM by hepcat » Logged

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 18, 2012, 07:49:54 PM »

The Avengers is one of those 30 minute shows I'll watch before heading to bed - Dr Who Classics, Twilight Zone and Family Guy being the others I typically choose from. It's pretty good. I'm about half-way through the 1st season so glad to hear there's another season waiting. Was there only the two seasons?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 18, 2012, 07:56:39 PM »

Sadly, yes.  Only two seasons and then cancelled.   icon_cry

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: December 18, 2012, 09:45:43 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 18, 2012, 07:56:39 PM

Sadly, yes.  Only two seasons and then cancelled.   icon_cry

actually it is morphing into Avengers Assemble, like Justice League became Justice League Unlimited:

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes hasn't been cancelled as Avengers Assemble is being viewed as a continuation of that series.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: December 18, 2012, 10:27:10 PM »

Cool, I did not know that!  Thanks, Ceekay!  You cheered me up with that bit of news.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #735 on: December 20, 2012, 06:11:35 AM »

Mike Birbiglia's film Sleepwalk With Me just became available recently and I found it both funny and entertaining. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 20, 2012, 01:48:19 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 20, 2012, 06:11:35 AM

Mike Birbiglia's film Sleepwalk With Me just became available recently and I found it both funny and entertaining.  

Yeah, I've heard good things about that movie.

Queen of Versailles was added, too, and it's supposed to be a fantastic documentary.  Don't let the Jersey Shore meets Legally Blonde cover fool you.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 01:50:12 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: December 20, 2012, 06:33:24 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 20, 2012, 06:11:35 AM

Been waiting for that one to appear on Netflix after hearing the standup version of it on This American Life awhile back. I know the movie got pretty good reviews but got kinda lost in theaters. 'course I didn't help by not seeing it there but hey!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: December 26, 2012, 02:41:07 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 17, 2012, 03:31:13 PM

As I noted earlier, it starts off really slow.  I honestly was about to give up on it after the first two episodes.  Then they had a scene with the puppet Baby Todd playing thrash guitar and his sidekick dressed as a Viking and riding a flying motorcycle in one of Todd's dream sequence.  That convinced me to stick around.  I think once you hit the musical episode, you'll warm to it even more.  Yeah, it's got some weak moments, but it's got enough funny moments to make it worth wading through those.

You were right, and I'm glad I kept watching.  I finally got hooked by the end of Season 1, and was really sad to see it end (especially with that whopper of a cliffhanger).   Sucks it got cancelled...I would have loved to see where they went with it next.  While it was always cheesy, the writing got significantly better as it went along, the characters became more likeable, and Atticus became, well, Atticus.  smile. That second musical episode was one of the funnier things I've ever seen.  Here's hoping they can figure out a way to revive it somehow.

Side note:  I know that Jenny was supposed to be the "hot chick", but Hannah (especially evil Hannah) was just...dayum.   unibrow

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #739 on: December 26, 2012, 07:46:40 PM »

Glad that Always Sunny is now on streaming.  Good chance to catch up on the episodes I've missed.  Got the wife watching too. 

Also watched Wilfred.  What a nice tea twisted show.  So odd to see Frodo hitting the bong.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: December 27, 2012, 05:08:14 PM »

I'm watching the anime series Darker than Black for the 2nd time - this time with my son. I'm watching it on Netflix Canuckistan, so I'm not sure if its on Netflix USA . It's produced by one of Sony Music Entertainment's subsidiaries  -Aniplex- who also did Fullmetal Alchemist and Rurouni Kenshin. It's pretty much a story along the lines of the aftermath of a weird and F#@$'d up Tokyo, but this series puts a much more interesting twist on that theme. It has some gory moments, so it might not suit the squeamish. There's some excellent animation in it though and the English dub is good. The soundtrack is done by Yoko Kanno (Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: SAC) and although it's not her best work, it's still very good. Definitely worth a watch if you like anime.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: December 27, 2012, 05:23:29 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 26, 2012, 02:41:07 PM

Side note:  I know that Jenny was supposed to be the "hot chick", but Hannah (especially evil Hannah) was just...dayum.   unibrow

Agreed.  While Jenny was no slouch in the looks department, Hannah's a redhead. 

WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: December 28, 2012, 12:26:32 AM »

I just watched it this morning. Very well done documentary about some fabulously wealthy folks whose business model was a proverbial house of cards.

Queen of Versailles was added, too, and it's supposed to be a fantastic documentary.  Don't let the Jersey Shore meets Legally Blonde cover fool you.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: December 28, 2012, 12:44:51 AM »

I've been looking forward to seeing Queen of Versailles.  I know what I'm watching this weekend now.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: December 28, 2012, 03:36:13 AM »

Quote from: WorkingMike on December 28, 2012, 12:26:32 AM

I just watched it this morning. Very well done documentary about some fabulously wealthy folks whose business model was a proverbial house of cards.

Queen of Versailles was added, too, and it's supposed to be a fantastic documentary.  Don't let the Jersey Shore meets Legally Blonde cover fool you.

IIRC, the husband in that film was the same guy who threatened to lay off employees if Obama won.

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #745 on: December 28, 2012, 05:42:15 AM »

Queen of Versailles was great!

Spoiler for Hiden:
The mother looking for the puppies (that may have been eaten by their Python) in her ridiculous Gucci shoes while the overworked housekeepers take care of the kids and clean up all the dog shit was probably the finest moments in the movie.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #746 on: December 28, 2012, 06:25:20 AM »

Yeah, I agree that it was a great movie but man do I have absolutely no sympathy for those people.  It just made me sick watching them.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: December 29, 2012, 08:51:21 PM »

EDIT:  Whoops, wrong thread.   icon_redface

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 02, 2013, 01:54:56 PM »

Since we're on a documentary kick here, I would like to heartily suggest The Ambassador.  Not sure if this one has been brought up yet, but if not it's an amazing film.  Mads Brügger makes Sascha Baron Cohen look like a wimp.  The whole film is about his attempts to "buy" a diplomatic position from the Central African Republic via some shady folks, and the subsequent experiences he has with a jaw dropping level of corruption in that region.  He puts himself in harm's way more than any investigative journalist (albeit a humorous one) I've ever seen.  

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #749 on: January 03, 2013, 09:14:43 PM »

Glad that Always Sunny is now on streaming.  Good chance to catch up on the episodes I've missed.  Got the wife watching too.  

Also watched Wilfred.  What a nice tea twisted show.  So odd to see Frodo hitting the bong.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: January 05, 2013, 03:57:47 AM »

For those interested, the entirety of The West Wing is now available. Fabulous series. Seasons 1-4 are terrific and the best writing Aaron Sorkin has ever done, IMO. Season 5 is aimless and just wanders all over the map, but season 6 picks up with a strong energy. But once the campaign gets going in earnest about 3/4 of the way through season 6, every episode from then until the end becomes a must-watch. Terrific, highly entertaining series.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 05, 2013, 08:00:26 PM »

Netflix Canuckistan got the Usual Suspects, The Raid: Redemption and The Hunt for Red October this week. I promise I won't bitch about the lack of decent content on the service here for at least 3 weeks.  slywink
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #752 on: January 05, 2013, 09:51:43 PM »

I see that Blue Valentine is now available.  Highly recommended drama if you don't mind depressing movies.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 09, 2013, 02:35:44 AM »

Super HD and 3D streaming is coming.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 09, 2013, 02:53:25 AM »

Well considering you need this for Super HD

"Netflix Super HD requires that your Internet Provider is part of the Netflix Open Connect network."

It won't be happening in my neck of the woods anytime soon, considering all of the Internet Providers I can use have their own competing services.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 09, 2013, 02:36:07 PM »

Even though I'm convinced that he'd appear at the opening of a can of baked beans if you offered him 12 bucks and cab fare, Robert De Niro was actually fun in Red Lights.  It's a horror/thriller that sees De Niro's character come out of retirement and return to the stage as the world's most famous psychic.  A group of academics at a local college try to debunk his claims...with one of the professors seeming to have a little TOO much interest in doing so.  Well worth a watch.  Not great, but a decent enough try.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 10, 2013, 10:00:14 PM »

I see the Iron Sky, the movie with Nazi's living on the moon, is on Netflix now. Also the horror film V/H/S is there which I think had a bit of buzz. Haven't watched either yet.

What we're watching right now is Once Upon a Time. The show where fairy tale characters were cursed and now live in a small town in our reality with no memory of who they were. This show should not work. It looks like they spent next to nothing on it and the costumes look cheap and the special effects are right out of a made for SyFi Channel movie. But it's surprisingly good for light entertainment. It almost has a Lost feeling to it as you try and figure out whats going on and particularly the flashback sequences with all the characters when they lived in the the fairyland world. Its also a lot of fun to try and figure out which character is who as they don't share the same names in our world. There's some nice twists in a lot of the episodes.

So for some reason the show really works and is a lot of fun.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 11, 2013, 01:03:41 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on January 10, 2013, 10:00:14 PM

I see the Iron Sky, the movie with Nazi's living on the moon, is on Netflix now.

FDR: American Badass has been up, too.

I can't quite bring myself to add either of them to my queue.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 11, 2013, 03:37:36 PM »

I see the Iron Sky, the movie with Nazi's living on the moon, is on Netflix now.

Wow, that was... bad. Thankfully it was only 92 minutes and it did have a couple of interesting moments but overall was full of the stupid. Apparently, Moon Nazis can build "flying saucer" type vehicles that can reach Earth undetected but drive Volkswagons and motorcycles with sidecars around on the surface of the moon. And a cell phone is the missing key to finally getting their battle wagon the Gotterdammerung flying. Oh, and "aircraft carrier" ships that look like giant space zeppelins.  Roll Eyes

The female lead was sweet. No, not the President - the Moon Nazi one.  nod

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 11, 2013, 04:27:33 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 11, 2013, 03:37:36 PM

Wow, that was... bad. Thankfully it was only 92 minutes and it did have a couple of interesting moments but overall was full of the stupid. Apparently, Moon Nazis can build "flying saucer" type vehicles that can reach Earth undetected but drive Volkswagons and motorcycles with sidecars around on the surface of the moon. And a cell phone is the missing key to finally getting their battle wagon the Gotterdammerung flying. Oh, and "aircraft carrier" ships that look like giant space zeppelins.  Roll Eyes

The female lead was sweet. No, not the President - the Moon Nazi one.  nod

Damn! You make me so jealous that this hasn't arrived on Netflix Canuckistan yet.   icon_frown
We do have NAZIS at the Center of the Earth though, which I still haven't watched - should I?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: