http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 09:35:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Netflix Instant Watch recommendation thread  (Read 75744 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #480 on: April 14, 2012, 03:57:49 PM »

Saving Private Perez is a pretty fun time and I see it's now on Instant Watch.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 24, 2012, 04:25:41 AM »

War of the Arrows is now on Netflix. This is probably one of the best and unique action movies I have seen in a very long time. Its in Korean, subtitled in English, but don't let the savages that can't read tell you that this movie is not worth watching without a crap dub.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 24, 2012, 05:47:14 AM »

Will have to check that out Kato.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 24, 2012, 12:19:18 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on April 24, 2012, 04:25:41 AM

War of the Arrows is now on Netflix. This is probably one of the best and unique action movies I have seen in a very long time. Its in Korean, subtitled in English, but don't let the savages that can't read tell you that this movie is not worth watching without a crap dub.

I hear the knee scene is a standout.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 24, 2012, 02:35:48 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on April 03, 2012, 04:47:49 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 02, 2012, 10:29:32 PM

The documentary Being Elmo is available on Instant Watch and very good in my opinion.  Any fans of the Muppet or Henson would probably enjoy it.
Watched this last week.  Highly recommended.

I watched this last-night, it was fantastic.  A must-see for those of us raised on Sesame Street and the Muppets.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 27, 2012, 02:19:42 AM »

Quote from: happydog on February 13, 2012, 06:17:23 AM

Wife and I watched Tucker & Dale vs. Evil last night. Fantastically funny. So glad we saw it.

Just watched this. Was laughing my head off within three minutes of starting it. Absolutely hilarious send-up of the horror genre. I think a double bill of this and Cabin in the Woods would be a nice way to spend an evening. It does a terrific inversion of the cabin in the woods/slasher genre and Alan Tudyk, as always, crushes it. The sequence with the wood chipper left me gasping for air. Really fun way to spend 90 minutes. Highly recommended.  thumbsup thumbsup
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 02:22:21 AM by whiteboyskim » Logged

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 07, 2012, 12:52:23 PM »

Watched this last night, thanks for the recommendation!  thumbsup

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 07, 2012, 04:09:24 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 07, 2012, 12:52:23 PM

Watched this last night, thanks for the recommendation!  thumbsup

I'll rent the DVD  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 07, 2012, 04:23:32 PM »

Ah Ceekay...ALL language is his second language.

War of the Arrows is a fun movie.  Highly recommended...but only subbed.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 17, 2012, 04:45:43 AM »

Drive is now up.  I hear it's a great car chasing movie.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 17, 2012, 03:36:12 PM »

Crap, I missed this during the few days it got screened in my city, but Netflix Canada has decided we don't need to have it.  mad Here's hoping they wise up and follow the lead of the US operation.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 17, 2012, 03:41:16 PM »

I'll be wrapping up "The IT Crowd" tonight.  I'm normally not a fan of sitcoms, but found this one absolutely hilarious...maybe it's the British influence.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 17, 2012, 04:58:46 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 17, 2012, 04:45:43 AM

Drive is now up.  I hear it's a great car chasing movie.

The only problem I had with the movie was that it didn't feature even one transformer.  Not one.  It was like they went out of their way to avoid making this a film about transforming cars that turn into wise cracking robots.  I can't imagine that worked for them at the box office.

Speaking of odd films, I watched The Chaser and Cold Fish this past weekend.  The Chaser was amazing.  If you like films like Oldboy and I Saw the Devil, this should be on your list.  Cold Fish is...well...different.  It's based on a supposedly true story about a serial killer and his equally psychotic wife but it's obviously wildly exaggerated.  I enjoyed it, but I'm almost embarrassed to admit it. 

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 17, 2012, 07:59:06 PM »

Sure, it only has like 24 episodes in 4 seasons... but this is the funniest show I've come across through Netflix

Quote from: Gratch on May 17, 2012, 03:41:16 PM

I'll be wrapping up "The IT Crowd" tonight.  I'm normally not a fan of sitcoms, but found this one absolutely hilarious...maybe it's the British influence.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 17, 2012, 09:56:42 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 17, 2012, 04:58:46 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 17, 2012, 04:45:43 AM

Drive is now up.  I hear it's a great car chasing movie.

The only problem I had with the movie was that it didn't feature even one transformer.  Not one.  It was like they went out of their way to avoid making this a film about transforming cars that turn into wise cracking robots.  I can't imagine that worked for them at the box office.

Speaking of odd films, I watched The Chaser and Cold Fish this past weekend.   The Chaser was amazing.  If you like films like Oldboy and I Saw the Devil, this should be on your list.   Cold Fish is...well...different.  It's based on a supposedly true story about a serial killer and his equally psychotic wife but it's obviously wildly exaggerated.  I enjoyed it, but I'm almost embarrassed to admit it.  

I just watched 'The Chaser' this past week. Very good, nail-biting serial-killer/action Korean film. Perhaps a bit convoluted... but, man, that scene near the end...

Spoiler for Hiden:
...when the girl escapes the serial killer's house and takes refuge at a local shop.. only to have the serial killer be set free due to politics and find her there.. he then kills her with the hammer.. as the pimp/ex-cop is running to save her. What a devastating scene. Very well done film.

I'll say it again: 'Drive' was my top favorite film of 2011. It's a work of cinema art, really. Can't recommend it highly enough.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: May 17, 2012, 10:01:04 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on May 17, 2012, 07:59:06 PM

Sure, it only has like 24 episodes in 4 seasons... but this is the funniest show I've come across through Netflix

I've been burning thru a Brit sitcom these past few weeks called 'Peep Show'. All 7 seasons of it are on Netflix. Not sure if it would be everyone's cup of tea, but I've been enjoying it. It's about two total losers sharing a flat in London: Mark Currigan, a masochistic, workaholic, neurotic, loser-with-the-ladies; and his old college rommate Jeremy, a self-deluded, talentless musician-wannabe who also manages to totally fuck up every relationship he enters. It's the most dysfunctional pairing I've seen in comedy. It has some disastrously painful comedy moments.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 17, 2012, 10:17:01 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on May 17, 2012, 10:01:04 PM

Quote from: Azhag on May 17, 2012, 07:59:06 PM

I've been burning thru a Brit sitcom these past few weeks called 'Peep Show'. All 7 seasons of it are on Netflix. Not sure if it would be everyone's cup of tea, but I've been enjoying it. It's about two total losers sharing a flat in London: Mark Currigan, a masochistic, workaholic, neurotic, loser-with-the-ladies; and his old college rommate Jeremy, a self-deluded, talentless musician-wannabe who also manages to totally fuck up every relationship he enters. It's the most dysfunctional pairing I've seen in comedy. It has some disastrously painful comedy moments.

They are much better on That Mitchell & Webb Look, a sketch show, also on Netflix.

And since we're on the Netflix Britcoms, don't miss Father Ted and Black Books (both written by the guy who created The IT Crowd).

And if you haven't seen Spaced, you don't deserve your eyeballs.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 18, 2012, 01:35:00 AM »

Rubber. It's about a tire that kills people.. saywhat
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: May 18, 2012, 03:12:04 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on May 18, 2012, 01:35:00 AM

I'm all for weird and or cult movies but I just didn't get Rubber. It's a TIRE that kills people.  retard

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 18, 2012, 03:20:14 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on May 18, 2012, 03:12:04 AM

Quote from: Harpua3 on May 18, 2012, 01:35:00 AM

I'm all for weird and or cult movies but I just didn't get Rubber. It's a TIRE that kills people.  retard

Yeah. Same feeling. I watched the whole thing awhile back but didn't do anything for me.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: May 19, 2012, 04:53:03 PM »

I see that the Australian fake documentary/comedy movie Kenny is now streaming.  I thought it was really entertaining, though you will likely have to turn on subtitles to catch it all.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 27, 2012, 04:48:45 AM »

Started watching Luther on streaming.  The show's quite good.  I do find the badly framed shots a bit distracting but the stories are interesting.  And Alice steals the entire show.  Her relationship with Luther is fascinating.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 28, 2012, 02:54:18 PM »

Saw a real good action/thriller movie called The Heir Apparent: Largo Winch. It's kinda like the French version of one of the Bourne movies. Its mainly in English even though its a French film. But its got a little bit of everything in there - maybe a bit too much at times as there's a bit too many twists as it goes along. But the pacing is good, it looks great, and is a fun watch.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: May 29, 2012, 04:37:44 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on May 28, 2012, 02:54:18 PM

Saw a real good action/thriller movie called The Heir Apparent: Largo Winch. It's kinda like the French version of one of the Bourne movies. Its mainly in English even though its a French film. But its got a little bit of everything in there - maybe a bit too much at times as there's a bit too many twists as it goes along. But the pacing is good, it looks great, and is a fun watch.

I just watched this tonight as well and agree it was a good "action and intrigue" type movie.  On a side note, after looking on IMDB I see there was a sequel released last year called The Burma Conspiracy, and it had Sharon Stone in it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 04:42:11 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 16, 2012, 06:18:43 PM »

Mild reccomendation for "Detective Dee & Mystery of Phantom Flame". A Chinese fantasy/kung fu blockbuster style film. Lots of CG with some really nice looking set pieces. But I got lost during the film several times with all the different characters and Chinese politcal stuff they threw in it. It Should have been more fun than it was. But you could tell they spent a lot of money on the film so reccomending it based on the spectacle.

In the I Can't Believe I Watched The Whole Thing category I sat through the entire 1985 movie "Tuff Turf". This one stars James Spader and Robert Downey Jr. Its the typical 80's set up where the new kid arrives in town and falls for the girl who runs with a bad group of high school kids. The new kid gets bullied along the way until the final confrontation in a warehouse where it's him against the four bullies. That final fight has guns, knives, iron bars, a 2x4 with protruding nails and even a pair of doberman pinschers. Plus the movie is filled with 80's cheese songs (including a ballad sung by the new kid in town), 80's big hair and clothing styles throughout.

Other than that I've been re-watching of interest is Farscape. Forgot how badly that show started off. Takes about 6-7 episodes for the chemistry between the characters kicks in. But really enjoying it now in the 2nd season. Only pet peeve is it isn't in HD and on a HD TV it plays in box unless you stretch or zoom the image.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 19, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »

Watched Killer Elite yesterday afternoon out of curiosity, and it was as mediocre as reviews suggested.  Bland story, flat characters, and underutilized talent, primarily with DeNiro and Owen.  Even going in with low expectations, I was still disappointed.

Also watched Tucker and Dale vs. Evil last night and found it to be a fun twist on the hack-and-slash-killer-in-the-forest theme.  It was certainly lighthearted and had amusing moments, but I didn't find it to be as funny as many made it out to be.  I enjoyed it, and it got me excited to see Cabin in the Woods when it is released on DVD, but it wasn't quite the rip-roarin' comedy I was hoping for.  Still fun though.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 19, 2012, 08:00:37 PM »

Cabin in the Woods isn't going to be a rip-roaring comedy either.

If you don't mind reading your way through a zombie movie, there's Dead Snow.  Norwegian med students trapped in a cabin over Easter break when the undead Nazi zombies come back for what's theirs.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 19, 2012, 08:13:09 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on June 16, 2012, 06:18:43 PM

Other than that I've been re-watching of interest is Farscape. Forgot how badly that show started off. Takes about 6-7 episodes for the chemistry between the characters kicks in. But really enjoying it now in the 2nd season. Only pet peeve is it isn't in HD and on a HD TV it plays in box unless you stretch or zoom the image.

I've tried watching Farscape twice now, but can't get past 2 or 3 episodes because it's so gorram awful.

Thanks to whoever recommended Black Books.  That series is hilarious.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 19, 2012, 08:21:04 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 19, 2012, 08:00:37 PM

Cabin in the Woods isn't going to be a rip-roaring comedy either.

It hasn't ever been billed as one.  But Tucker and Dale was consistently described as hysterically funny, and it seemed to fall short. 

Any similarities between Cabin in the Woods and Tucker and Dale motivating my interest end at being unusual takes on rural slasher flicks.

If you don't mind reading your way through a zombie movie, there's Dead Snow.  Norwegian med students trapped in a cabin over Easter break when the undead Nazi zombies come back for what's theirs.

I usually shy away from most horror films.  Tucker and Dale was an impromptu choice based on its lighthearted handling of the material.   

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 19, 2012, 08:24:05 PM »

Then you should pass on Dead Snow.  There's not much comedy there, just snow and nazi zombies.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: June 19, 2012, 08:24:51 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 19, 2012, 07:51:00 PM

I enjoyed it, and it got me excited to see Cabin in the Woods when it is released on DVD...

Wait, I thought you didn't like Whedon.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 19, 2012, 08:27:36 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 19, 2012, 08:24:51 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on June 19, 2012, 07:51:00 PM

I enjoyed it, and it got me excited to see Cabin in the Woods when it is released on DVD...

Wait, I thought you didn't like Whedon.

There are things about him I don't like, but I enjoyed Firefly, expect to enjoy The Avengers, I liked how Serenity more or less provided closure to the Firefly series despite its premature demise, but I hated Buffy no matter how many tries.

And Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, while not completely horrible, wasn't very good.

I can appreciate his creativity, but I'm far from a blind fanboy willing to see anything he touches.  It just so happens that Cabin received positive buzz motivating a potential viewing.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:31:38 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: June 20, 2012, 02:28:08 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 19, 2012, 08:24:05 PM

Then you should pass on Dead Snow.  There's not much comedy there, just snow and nazi zombies.

Snow and nazi zombies should be enough comedy for anyone.  icon_biggrin

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 20, 2012, 03:30:20 AM »

I believe you may have what we call a "bias" about zombie films.  biggrin

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #514 on: June 20, 2012, 06:35:23 AM »

I just finished watching all 7 seasons of the Peep Show (a British comedy) and thought it was great.  Of course, 7 of their seasons are like 2 of ours, so that went by relatively quickly.  A bit more wry, dry humor than the broad comedy of Black Books, I'd say, and I quite enjoyed it.

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 20, 2012, 12:41:18 PM »

I really enjoyed Tucker and Dale vs Evil a lot. Clever little flick that I thought they did a great job with. "Well officer, we have had one DOOZY of a day!"
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 20, 2012, 04:30:13 PM »

Quote from: Crux on June 20, 2012, 12:41:18 PM

I really enjoyed Tucker and Dale vs Evil a lot. Clever little flick that I thought they did a great job with. "Well officer, we have had one DOOZY of a day!"

Everyone should see this movie!
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 22, 2012, 01:58:11 AM »

Battle Royale and Battle Royale 2 are up on Netflix now. It's like Hunger Games but a lot more violent - and if you like Hunger Games it does not necessarily mean you will like Battle Royale.

The first one is worth watching. They do a surprisngly good job with some of the mini-plots for the various kids and you never know what's going to happen next. The teacher is great in this too. The second movie is apparently not that good but I haven't seen it myself yet.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 22, 2012, 02:03:29 PM »

Awesome, added.  I was just thinking about picking up the blurays so I could watch them, but this is better*.

*cheaper

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 22, 2012, 02:29:39 PM »

I had a REALLY crappy bootleg copy of Battle Royale I bought off ebay before it was brought to the states.   The subtitles would just disappear for minutes on end in the middle of conversations, and people would yell things like, "MY PANTS ARE FANTASTIC!" according to the badly translated sub.  

I look forward to finding out just why those pants were fantastic now.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: