http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 03:38:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Netflix Instant Watch recommendation thread  (Read 69407 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 01, 2012, 08:31:49 PM »

they just put up the TV series Life with Damian Lewis today, along with The Adventures of Tintin animated series.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 05, 2012, 04:21:26 AM »

Finally got around to watching The Dam Busters (on Netflix).

The second half is an extended Death Star trench run (and was a heavy influence).  Very exciting, if you can forgive some 50s special effects.

The first half is all about bringing an idea to fruition and is surprisingly fascinating.  Much of that is due to Michaell Redgrave.

The only thing keeping it from a huge recommendation is the midnight black dog with the jaw-droppingly unfortunate name.  They say his name a lot.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 05, 2012, 02:27:07 PM »

What was his name?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 05, 2012, 02:45:07 PM »

Quote from: Jag on March 05, 2012, 02:27:07 PM

What was his name?

The dog was black.  Really black.

I think another black dog could get away with calling him by that name, but it made me cringe any time the very white members of the cast said it.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 05, 2012, 04:45:43 PM »

Vader?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 05, 2012, 05:08:05 PM »

Speaking of vintage 50's WW II films, a film that appeared recently on Netflix Canada is The Man Who Never Was - Produced in 1956. As per usual I don't know if its available on Netflix USA. It's solely themed on counter-espionage, so it may be a bit slow for some, but its an excellent film with a very interesting plot, a great cast and IMO holds up well.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 05, 2012, 08:24:39 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 05, 2012, 05:08:05 PM

Speaking of vintage 50's WW II films, a film that appeared recently on Netflix Canada is The Man Who Never Was - Produced in 1956. As per usual I don't know if its available on Netflix USA. It's solely themed on counter-espionage, so it may be a bit slow for some, but its an excellent film with a very interesting plot, a great cast and IMO holds up well.

It is on Netflix USA, too.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 05, 2012, 08:35:08 PM »

Is it subtitled?  My Canadian is a bit rusty.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 05, 2012, 08:52:29 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 05, 2012, 08:35:08 PM

Is it subtitled?  My Canadian is a bit rusty.

They just cut out all the ehs and put outs and abouts in bold.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 06, 2012, 04:38:55 AM »

I noticed they added a bunch of these CNBC "inside look" type programming on Sunday. One of them is "Game On" which discusses the video game industry. I seem to recall seeing some of it and thinking it wasn't too badly done.

The last few things I watched were not so great. I'll list those in case others have them in their queue:

Shut Up Little Man! - documentrary where in the 80's two college kids recorded their drunk neighbors who would fight all the time. They passed the tapes around and it became one of the initial viral sensations. I don't recall this whole thing in the 80's but sounds like it was more of West Coast thing. The doc starts off well enough but gets a bit depressing as it goes along and in the end can't reccomend it.

The House of the Devil - this was done by the guy that did The Inkeepers which had a recently limited release and had some buzz. On a film school level this movie is really interesting. It's a hommage to all the old Satanic worship movies that were popular in the 70's. It takes place in the early 80's and follows those Satanic worship films perfectly. The problem is those films kinda stunk. You basically have a very slow build up and then the last 10 minutes things go balistic. Same thing here. So can't reccomend this one as its been freaking boring - but I respect what the film maker did.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: March 06, 2012, 05:51:48 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on March 06, 2012, 04:38:55 AM

I noticed they added a bunch of these CNBC "inside look" type programming on Sunday. One of them is "Game On" which discusses the video game industry. I seem to recall seeing some of it and thinking it wasn't too badly done.

The last few things I watched were not so great. I'll list those in case others have them in their queue:

Shut Up Little Man! - documentrary where in the 80's two college kids recorded their drunk neighbors who would fight all the time. They passed the tapes around and it became one of the initial viral sensations. I don't recall this whole thing in the 80's but sounds like it was more of West Coast thing. The doc starts off well enough but gets a bit depressing as it goes along and in the end can't reccomend it.

The House of the Devil - this was done by the guy that did The Inkeepers which had a recently limited release and had some buzz. On a film school level this movie is really interesting. It's a hommage to all the old Satanic worship movies that were popular in the 70's. It takes place in the early 80's and follows those Satanic worship films perfectly. The problem is those films kinda stunk. You basically have a very slow build up and then the last 10 minutes things go balistic. Same thing here. So can't reccomend this one as its been freaking boring - but I respect what the film maker did.

I kind of loved House of the Devil, but I guess it was entirely for the reason you state: as a film school piece.  He really, really captured the look and feel of those films.  Plus a lot of the casting is a nod as well.

However, in the end, the tension is good, but the body count is surprisingly low.  And the ending is not as strong as it could be.  If you watch it for face value, it'll flop, I think, but if you were a fan/student of that era's horror films, there's a lot to appreciate.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 08, 2012, 07:55:50 AM »

Amazing Stories is now up, both seasons.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 08, 2012, 07:43:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 08, 2012, 07:55:50 AM

Amazing Stories is now up, both seasons.

My memories of that show are in this order:

A plane with cartoon wheels
"Hello Mr. Coffee"
"Aw. The mummy's a daddy!"
The new perfect TV family thanks to a remote control
And an out of a control toupee

Yeah I guess I'll have to catch a few of those but I have the sense my memories are going to be a lot fonder than watching it today.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 09, 2012, 06:13:03 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on March 08, 2012, 07:43:11 PM

Yeah I guess I'll have to catch a few of those but I have the sense my memories are going to be a lot fonder than watching it today.

My same concern.  I have really fond memories of watching this show with the family back when it aired, but I worry that trying to revisit the series will sully that fondness.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 10, 2012, 01:56:02 AM »

Didn't that used to be on Netflix a year or two back? I seem to remember rewatching a couple of them and they definitely didn't live up to my memories. I would still like to see the one where the kid gets X-Ray vision, though...
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 12, 2012, 04:14:41 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 06, 2012, 05:51:48 AM

I kind of loved House of the Devil, but I guess it was entirely for the reason you state: as a film school piece.  He really, really captured the look and feel of those films.  Plus a lot of the casting is a nod as well.

However, in the end, the tension is good, but the body count is surprisingly low.  And the ending is not as strong as it could be.  If you watch it for face value, it'll flop, I think, but if you were a fan/student of that era's horror films, there's a lot to appreciate.

I think he's technically a good director, but hasn't shown me anything new yet.  I had heard a lot of hype about The Innkeepers as well.   So when I saw that it was playing at an arthouse theater near me, I went to a showing.  While it shared the same technical proficiency as House of the Devil, and the acting was quite good, the story itself overstayed its welcome by dragging on and on.  West spent most of the film's runtime focusing on elements that only served to slow the film to a crawl.   The ending just fizzled out and I ultimately felt cheated.

That being said, his latest offering is a segment in the anthology film V/H/S and it's getting rave reviews...

...although so did The Innkeepers initially.    icon_frown
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 04:17:08 PM by hepcat » Logged

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 02, 2012, 08:06:27 PM »

Saw two decent films:

The Lincoln Lawer with Matthew McConaughey. Above average Law and Order style film. Only problem for me was the director liked  to keep the camera moving all the time and putting in rapid cuts. That was a bit distracting.

Rare Exports:A Christmas Tale. A Finnish horror/comedy/fantasy film. A father and son live in a small town where strange things are happening. They're unaware that a excavation company is busy digging up the original Stanta Claus, Krampus.

This film looks fantastic with all the snow covered scenery and is well acted by the main character who's this young kid. It isn't your typical monster movie and reminded me a bit of Trollhunter in the oddness of it.

The endign was a bit odd and didn't make a lot of sense to me but up until that point I really enjoyed it. Would really love a prequel for the film

Worth checking out.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 02, 2012, 08:13:33 PM »

Two Headed Shark Attack is up.

you know you want to......

Because I can,
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 02, 2012, 08:26:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 02, 2012, 08:13:33 PM

A new show on SyFy called Monster Man showed him making a two headed shark, wonder if it was for that movie.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 02, 2012, 08:28:12 PM »

Want to?

No.

Need to?

Yes.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #460 on: April 02, 2012, 10:29:32 PM »

The documentary Being Elmo is available on Instant Watch and very good in my opinion.  Any fans of the Muppet or Henson would probably enjoy it.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 02, 2012, 11:17:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 02, 2012, 08:13:33 PM

Hells yeah I do.  I've been waiting all month for that to finally go up.  Woot!

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 03, 2012, 04:59:15 AM »

According to a FB friend, The Human Centipede 2 is now available.  puke
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 03, 2012, 11:11:08 AM »

So it is.  This is why I really dislike Netflix's interface.  They have good stuff coming in, but they seem to do their best to hide it.  Come on, Netflix, you even have a whole "Newly Added" category, why does brand new stuff not show up there, and stuff that's been on for months keep showing up?

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 03, 2012, 01:40:01 PM »

Did you...did you just basically say that Human Centipede 2 was "good stuff"?   icon_eek

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: April 03, 2012, 01:44:03 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 03, 2012, 01:40:01 PM

Did you...did you just basically say that Human Centipede 2 was "good stuff"?   icon_eek

For a certain subset of us, yes.  You know, those of us with no taste who like trashy horror movies.  slywink

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: April 03, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 03, 2012, 11:11:08 AM

So it is.  This is why I really dislike Netflix's interface.  They have good stuff coming in, but they seem to do their best to hide it.  Come on, Netflix, you even have a whole "Newly Added" category, why does brand new stuff not show up there, and stuff that's been on for months keep showing up?

I totally agree.  It seems like they try their hardest to hide new additions to the Instant Watch category (or all categories, actually).  That's one reason that I just try to add anything I might be interested to the bottom of my queue, and then you can see when it is Coming Soon to IW or when it is available.  Sometimes they will even auto-add it to your IW queue if it is in your DVD queue, but not always.  Because consistency is for chumps, apparently.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 03, 2012, 04:29:32 PM »

Ditto on the poor way in which the crappy interface displays new offerings. Not having enough new content is the biggest complaint I hear about Netflix, so you think they try harder to challenge that - apparently not.  Roll Eyes

A TV series I've watched twice now and loved as much the 2nd time is The Hour. Its a UK produced 6 parter, Cloak'n'Dagger themed around a young BBC TV crew during the Suez Missile crisis. It has an outstanding cast and is easily one of the top 3 TV mini-series I've ever watched. I'm using Netflix Canukistan so I'm not sure its available in the US, but if it is I highly recommend it.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 03, 2012, 04:44:32 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 03, 2012, 04:16:00 PM

I totally agree.  It seems like they try their hardest to hide new additions to the Instant Watch category (or all categories, actually).  That's one reason that I just try to add anything I might be interested to the bottom of my queue, and then you can see when it is Coming Soon to IW or when it is available.  Sometimes they will even auto-add it to your IW queue if it is in your DVD queue, but not always.  Because consistency is for chumps, apparently.

That's not even an option if you don't get discs from them.  If you only use Instant, searching will ONLY return results that are available on Instant.  It's like non-Instant movies just don't exist.  You wind up second-guessing whether you entered the right search term or not.  It used to show you the movie, but list it as "Only on DVD".  Just plain dumb.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: April 03, 2012, 04:47:49 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 02, 2012, 10:29:32 PM

The documentary Being Elmo is available on Instant Watch and very good in my opinion.  Any fans of the Muppet or Henson would probably enjoy it.
Watched this last week.  Highly recommended.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 03, 2012, 05:49:54 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 03, 2012, 04:44:32 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 03, 2012, 04:16:00 PM

That's not even an option if you don't get discs from them.  If you only use Instant, searching will ONLY return results that are available on Instant.  It's like non-Instant movies just don't exist.  You wind up second-guessing whether you entered the right search term or not.  It used to show you the movie, but list it as "Only on DVD".  Just plain dumb.

that's why FeedFliks is your friend.  with it's newly added, coming soon and expiring soon it's pretty useful.  I make sure to check it every day or two.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 03, 2012, 06:06:47 PM »

Yup, Feedflix. I just scroll through the new releases list there every few days and then just add what I'm interested to my queue.

One thing Feedflix, or Netflix for that matter, doesn't do a good job at doing is showing previous content that was on Netflix at one time, went away, but now is back again. I've had movies I never watched vanish from my queue then appear again later without Feedflix or Netflix mentioning its available again. There's probably content I missed the initial time I might want to see and unaware its available again.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 03, 2012, 06:19:53 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 03, 2012, 01:44:03 PM

Did you...did you just basically say that Human Centipede 2 was "good stuff"?   icon_eek

For a certain subset of us, yes.  You know, those of us with no taste who like trashy horror movies.  slywink

Oh come on, even PR_GMR said that HC2 had no redeeming qualities. smile

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 03, 2012, 07:42:02 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 03, 2012, 06:19:53 PM

Quote from: Chaz on April 03, 2012, 01:44:03 PM

Did you...did you just basically say that Human Centipede 2 was "good stuff"?   icon_eek

For a certain subset of us, yes.  You know, those of us with no taste who like trashy horror movies.  slywink

Oh come on, even PR_GMR said that HC2 had no redeeming qualities. smile

I'm 100% certain that it doesn't, but I still wanna see it.  smile

And yeah, FeedFlix is great, but I shouldn't have to go to a separate website to be told what's new on the website whose services I'm paying for.  FeedFlix also doesn't help much when I'm browsing on the 360/PS3.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 07, 2012, 08:33:28 AM »

looks like they have some classic 80's cartoons coming out on April 23rd:  G.I. Joe and Transformers.  I've been watching the Transformers on DVD and am kind of in awe at how bad it really was, should be interesting to see if GI Joe is the same way.

Because I can,
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 07, 2012, 04:45:15 PM »

I would love for them to stream the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon.  I remember watching that every week.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 07, 2012, 06:45:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 07, 2012, 08:33:28 AM

I've been watching the Transformers on DVD and am kind of in awe at how bad it really was, should be interesting to see if GI Joe is the same way.

I remember having a hard time even watching a few episodes of Transformers back in the day when my younger cousins were really into it. Its kind of why I was surprised people were so incensed that the 1st live action movie diverged from the tv series story so much? I mean its not like there was quality there in the 1st place - not that Bay's movie is great or anything. I recently tried watching the BattleTech series and IMO it was just as bad - maybe worse. I haven't seen the D&D series, but I've heard it faired a bit better, but I'm skeptical. Meanwhile if you search any of them on IMDB they're all ranked in the 7.8 - 8.0 range.  icon_eek Ah nostalgia - such a nice pair of rosey-tinted glasses. slywink
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 06:47:23 PM by kronovan » Logged
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 08, 2012, 02:51:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 07, 2012, 08:33:28 AM

looks like they have some classic 80's cartoons coming out on April 23rd:  G.I. Joe and Transformers.  I've been watching the Transformers on DVD and am kind of in awe at how bad it really was, should be interesting to see if GI Joe is the same way.

Re-watch He-Man.  Then you'll see why you enjoyed G.I. Joe and Transformers so much.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 14, 2012, 05:47:55 AM »

This film is a not for everyone but I really loved "Melancholia". It's an end of the world story where a rogue planet is on its way to Earth - but that's partially a side plot. The main story focuses on the relationship of two sisters - both have their issues. I don't want to say too much about it since it was neat just watching the movie unfold. I will say that this movie had some fantastic imagry throughout it. Right from the start there are a bunch of impressive looking slow moving scenes ,similar to the effect used at the start of The Watchmen.

If you sound system is good, particularly if you have a sub-woofer, this movie makes good use of it to help build up a sense of impending doom - I'm still a bit on edge.

There's a surprising number of stars in this film. But hats off to Krirsten Dunst who really did a great job acting in this one. Plus she gets nude so that was a nice bonus.

But this film isn't for everyone. It moves very slowly and that will be a turn off to a lot of people. My wife didn't like the pacing, and complained about it, but was interested enough to stick it out till the end. I was perfectly fine with letting movie unfold at the pace it was going. The movie also stays in a single location the entire time. You get a few minor clues of whats going on with the rest of the world, which worked for me as I liked to just imagine, but that will also be a turn off to people.

So if you're looking for an end of the world flick with action sequences where the streets are filled with panicing people and there's a group of scientists working out how to save the planet this is not that film - Deep Impact for you.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 14, 2012, 02:56:44 PM »

I really liked Melancholia, too, but some friends thought it was too depressing.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: