http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 09:22:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Netflix Instant Watch recommendation thread  (Read 53380 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: November 17, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »

Am I the only one who really dislikes the new Instant Watch webpage update?  I hate how it now takes a second or two for the pop-up information to display, and it always starts playing a preview of the show/movie.  As if starting at some random point in the movie is a good representation of what it is.

I really wish it was more like the old DVD interface, that shows me the predicted rating for me without mousing over it, and when you do it has more information like genre, foreign language, main actors/director, etc.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 17, 2011, 03:37:50 PM »

Finally got around to watching The Fighter.  I certainly enjoyed it and felt that Christian Bale completely stole the show with his performance, especially when they showed the real-life Dickey during the credits.  That was when Bale's performance went from fantastic to downright creepy at how closely he resembled Dickey, his mannerisms, his speaking style, etc.   icon_eek 

Wahlberg's character started to become a little irritating later in the film, and near the end the constant whining, complaining, bickering, and bitching throughout the family just grew stale.  I understand they had issues and fought a lot, but the movie was mostly 2 hours of verbal fighting rather than boxing. 

All in all I'd say it was a quality film, but critics who dubbed it the modern replacement of Rocky went a little too far. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 17, 2011, 07:19:41 PM »

Yeah, I thought Bale was the runaway star of The Fighter.  Of course, I really just cannot stand Wahlberg.  Bale is an actor's actor, while Wahlberg is merely an actor.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 20, 2011, 09:19:57 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on November 15, 2011, 05:17:09 AM

Quote from: hepcat on November 14, 2011, 09:03:20 PM

Pontypool

An interesting take on the Zombie story.  It's not quite what you think it is.

I liked the idea behind the virus but didn't really like the film. Too many strange or odd scenes thrown in that I'm not sure the movie knew exactly what it wanted to be. And what was that at the very end of the film after the credits? Was like from a Tarantino film.

just watched it, and found it interesting enough (it was neat seeing Lance Henriksen's doppelganger in something other than Haven).  the end of credits scene was a definite WTF though.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 21, 2011, 08:38:06 PM »

Oh good lord, The Last Circus is up on netflix now.   

This movie is on my short list for greatest films of 2010.  I highly recommend it without reservation.  How to describe it?  It's a movie Fellini would have made had he been raised on slasher films.  Trust me...this is one of the greats. 

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 21, 2011, 08:46:51 PM »

The next hit in the Bloodrayne series is up:  Bloodrayne vs. The Third Reich.

icon_wink

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 26, 2011, 06:54:47 PM »

Saw a good South Korean film "Castaway on the Moon". It's a quirky movie where a suicidal guy gets stranded on an island that's just off the city. He can see the city from his island, and there's even a bridge over the island, but he can't swim and can't communicate with anyone so he's stuck there. He has to learn to survive there (ala Tom Hanks "Castaway"). A woman in the city who is an agoraphobic sees him on the island through her camera and becomes obsessed with watching him survive there. She also wants to communicate with him but its a bit difficult when you have a hard time even leaving your room. It's the oddest relationship I've seen in a film but somehow works because both people are damaged.

It's a fun creative film and interesting throughout as you don't know where its going to go. The actor that plays the guy on the island puts in a really good performance too. So if you're looking for something slightly different this is it.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 26, 2011, 07:12:55 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on November 26, 2011, 06:54:47 PM

Saw a good South Korean film "Castaway on the Moon". It's a quirky movie where a suicidal guy gets stranded on an island that's just off the city. He can see the city from his island, and there's even a bridge over the island, but he can't swim and can't communicate with anyone so he's stuck there. He has to learn to survive there (ala Tom Hanks "Castaway"). A woman in the city who is an agoraphobic sees him on the island through her camera and becomes obsessed with watching him survive there. She also wants to communicate with him but its a bit difficult when you have a hard time even leaving your room. It's the oddest relationship I've seen in a film but somehow works because both people are damaged.

It's a fun creative film and interesting throughout as you don't know where its going to go. The actor that plays the guy on the island puts in a really good performance too. So if you're looking for something slightly different this is it.

I was pleasantly surprised by this as well. His elation of creating his
Spoiler for Hiden:
own bowl of noodles
was strangely touching.

I watched Morning Glory recently and thought it was pretty funny. You've got curmudgeonly Harrison Ford and perky Rachel McAdams in it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:28:19 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 27, 2011, 02:28:41 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 21, 2011, 08:46:51 PM

The next hit in the Bloodrayne series is up:  Bloodrayne vs. The Third Reich.

icon_wink

At least there's a hot lesbian scene in it with Natassia Malthe.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 27, 2011, 05:50:16 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 02, 2011, 03:16:40 PM

Quote from: Crawley on November 02, 2011, 12:21:27 AM

One of my favorite late 80's guilty pleasures showed up on instant. North Shore.

I actually remember this movie.   icon_eek

A while back I watched an 80's guilty pleasure of my own on Netflix.  Thrashin'.   icon_redface

I haven't yet checked to see if Side Out or Gleaming the Cube are available on demand (Cube being a 90's guilty pleasure), but I did find Only the Strong and might get me a capoeta fix sometime soon. 

I am so ashamed. 

For shame! You forgot to mention Rad.   

morlac00 on PSN
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 28, 2011, 10:25:53 PM »

Quote from: morlac on November 27, 2011, 05:50:16 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 02, 2011, 03:16:40 PM

Quote from: Crawley on November 02, 2011, 12:21:27 AM

One of my favorite late 80's guilty pleasures showed up on instant. North Shore.

I actually remember this movie.   icon_eek

A while back I watched an 80's guilty pleasure of my own on Netflix.  Thrashin'.   icon_redface

I haven't yet checked to see if Side Out or Gleaming the Cube are available on demand (Cube being a 90's guilty pleasure), but I did find Only the Strong and might get me a capoeta fix sometime soon. 

I am so ashamed. 

For shame! You forgot to mention Rad.   

That is because it isn't available on Instant Watch or on actual DVD.  There are petitions online fighting for its release

I didn't mention it because it's just too painful to acknowledge that outside of my long-since-discarded Betamax copy I still have no way to watch one of the best 80's movies of all-time.   icon_frown

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 02, 2011, 10:44:48 PM »

Finished watching "Downton Abbey". Its a BBC series (7 episodes) which takes place in the early 1900s. I'm not big on period pieces but saw this one had a bunch of stars so gave it a shot. Well it sucked me right in from the start. A large focus of the show is on the hired staff for this mansion. I hadn't seen that before in period pieces. It was very interesting in how complex the setup is. Every person has a little part to play in the house. And they have their own desires on "moving up" their position - some using not so nice ways. They also created some really well fleshed out and well acted characters. There was one love story between two of the hired help you just can't help but want to work out as the two characters are so likable.

Its a really neat show and fantastically produced (looks as good as any period piece film). There's a lot of stories flying around in these 7 episode but surprisingly they more or less get wrapped up in a satisfying way by the end. I'm looking forward to season 2 which I hope gets on Netflix soon after the DVDs come out.

Also should note that Werner Herzogs "Cave of Forgotten Dreams" is on streaming now. Its a really neat look at this gigantic cave network that has these ancient cave drawings on them that are so well persevered they look like they were painted just yesterday. It's interesting but does drag a bit at times. But its worth sitting through at least some of it to see those drawings.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:51:09 PM by Crawley » Logged
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 07, 2011, 07:54:36 PM »

Mild recommendation here. Finished watching this Anime series called "Oban Star-Racers" which is definitely aimed more for younger adults but I actually ended up enjoying it quite a bit. The story setup is pretty simple where Earth is involved in a galactic race (think Star Wars Episode 1 races) for the "ultimate prize". A young girl finds herself racing for the Earth Team. At first its fun for her but the pressure to win builds as the series goes along. It gets pretty dark near the end which surprised me with how carefree the series began and who its targeted at.

Each episode is basically a race between the Earth Team and whatever alien species. The races are actually kinda neat as they are interesting and the fact that the Earth Team doesn't always win. There are also a few underlining stories which occur outside the race. I have to hand it to the creators who change things up a bit more than half way through the show with new locations each episode.

I basically watched this an episode a night before heading to bed. Its not really a type of series you'll want to sit down and watch a few hours of in a row - although now that I think of it I did watch two or three episodes in a row a couple of times.

So mild recommendation if you're looking for a new Anime show to check out.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 08, 2011, 03:20:20 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on December 02, 2011, 10:44:48 PM

Also should note that Werner Herzogs "Cave of Forgotten Dreams" is on streaming now. Its a really neat look at this gigantic cave network that has these ancient cave drawings on them that are so well persevered they look like they were painted just yesterday. It's interesting but does drag a bit at times. But its worth sitting through at least some of it to see those drawings.

I was interested in seeing this when it was released in the theaters.  Thanks for the heads up!

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 19, 2011, 07:49:21 PM »

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I just watched the first episode of the "Carlos" mini-series. It was really good. There's also a shortened movie version of the mini-series which is a bit less than 3 hours (compared to almost 6 hours for the full thing). If the first part is any indication, this is well worth watching.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 26, 2011, 05:30:14 AM »

Started watching The Vampire Diaries (TV show). Was hesitant to start it as it seemed like it was just going to be for the Twilight crowd. It certainly seemed to start that way but had enough of an edge so stuck with it. Glad I did. It started shedding some of the typical high school drama stuff and focused on an interesting story with pretty decent characters. Before I knew it I was about 20 episodes in and its still pretty good.

The love story is the weakest part of the show for me. And there was a run of about 6-7 episodes in a row where by the end of the episode the two main characters were either falling in or out of love with one another. Was so silly but thankfully it was regulated to about 5-10 minutes of the show with the rest focused on moving the plot forward.

There's some really good writing for the show for both the plot and a lot of the characters lines where are pretty smart. I also gotta hand it to the writters for not being afraid to kill off characters - one I'm still pissed about. It was a nice surprise to see they've had no problems doing that a number of times.

So thumbs up for the show. It took about four or five episodes before it really sucked me in - so to speak.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 05:32:43 AM by Crawley » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #416 on: January 01, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »

I just watched Tucker & Dale vs Evil and really enjoyed it, and I see it is now on Instant Watch as well. 

It is a humorous take on the typical horror movie in a similar vein as Shaun of the Dead.  It stars Tyler Labine from Reaper and Alan Tudyk from Serenety/Firefly who both do a great job, and of course it also has the gorgeous Katrina Bowden from 30 Rock which doesn't hurt.  Here is the official trailer if that sounds interesting at all. 

spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 01, 2012, 05:39:45 PM »

I've really been enjoying the Doc Martin series with Martin Clunes as a grumpy big city doctor in a small seaside town of quirky residents.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 03:53:49 AM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 02, 2012, 01:08:04 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 01, 2012, 07:30:00 AM

I just watched Tucker & Dale vs Evil and really enjoyed it, and I see it is now on Instant Watch as well. 

It is a humorous take on the typical horror movie in a similar vein as Shaun of the Dead.  It stars Tyler Labine from Reaper and Alan Tudyk from Serenety/Firefly who both do a great job, and of course it also has the gorgeous Katrina Bowden from 30 Rock which doesn't hurt.  Here is the official trailer if that sounds interesting at all. 

+1

I almost turned it off after the first 5 minutes because it looked like it was gonna be a cheap slasher film parody...then they switched over to tucker and dale's view of events and the movie just takes off.  Very fun film.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 02, 2012, 04:45:52 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 02, 2012, 01:08:04 AM

+1

I almost turned it off after the first 5 minutes because it looked like it was gonna be a cheap slasher film parody...then they switched over to tucker and dale's view of events and the movie just takes off.  Very fun film.

Just watched this as well... what a hoot.  thumbsup

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: January 02, 2012, 04:54:12 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 02, 2012, 04:45:52 AM

+1

Just watched this as well... what a hoot.  thumbsup

One of my favorite movies of the year. Here is my not-at-all official review.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 04, 2012, 07:02:35 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on December 02, 2011, 10:44:48 PM

Finished watching "Downton Abbey". Its a BBC series (7 episodes) which takes place in the early 1900s. I'm not big on period pieces but saw this one had a bunch of stars so gave it a shot. Well it sucked me right in from the start. A large focus of the show is on the hired staff for this mansion. I hadn't seen that before in period pieces. It was very interesting in how complex the setup is. Every person has a little part to play in the house. And they have their own desires on "moving up" their position - some using not so nice ways. They also created some really well fleshed out and well acted characters. There was one love story between two of the hired help you just can't help but want to work out as the two characters are so likable.

Its a really neat show and fantastically produced (looks as good as any period piece film). There's a lot of stories flying around in these 7 episode but surprisingly they more or less get wrapped up in a satisfying way by the end. I'm looking forward to season 2 which I hope gets on Netflix soon after the DVDs come out.

For those interested PBS is going to start airing Season 2 on the 8th. Had thought it already aired here but guess not. Will be recording it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 05, 2012, 02:39:57 AM »

+1

I gave it til Dale was breaking out the boardgames, at which point I was pretty bored so I turned it off and went to play some games.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 05, 2012, 03:11:43 AM »

Not surprising.  It's not really a chick flick kind of film.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 05, 2012, 03:23:19 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 05, 2012, 03:11:43 AM

Not surprising.  It's not really a chick flick kind of film.

maybe if there was a little bit more angst between Dale and Tucker, and Dale was played by Robert Pattinson and Tucker by Ian Somerhalder.....

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 23, 2012, 03:18:34 AM »

LOL, this got pointed out to me earlier as being on Netflix: Garbage Pail Kids the Movie.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 29, 2012, 05:12:10 PM »

Saw a decent Spanish film called "Even the Rain". It's a movie within a movie where a film crew has gone to Bolivia to shoot a film on Christopher Columbus. The problem is that the Bolivian goverment is regulating water supply. Things are boiling over between the government and the locals and its impacting the film and making for a dangerous situation. Some real tension near the end as the film and the real life problems overlap.

You only get to see select scenes from the actual Chirstopher Columbus film they are creating but it looked good to the point where I would have liked to have seen that film too.

So if you're looking for a good drama and the subject matter seems interesting give this one a shot.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 05, 2012, 12:41:55 AM »

Just a heads up Starz series "Boss" is on Netflix now. Deals with a Chicago mayor that finds out he has a degenerative disease that will eventually kill him. Only watched the first episode so far which was pretty good but wanted to mention it since the Starz stuff goes away at the end of the month so catch it now if you were interested.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 05, 2012, 01:31:50 AM »

just watched a movie called Strigoi.  maybe it's just me but I didn't really find anything horror or comedy in the film.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 05, 2012, 08:26:18 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 05, 2012, 01:31:50 AM

just watched a movie called Strigoi.  maybe it's just me but I didn't really find anything horror or comedy in the film.

So was it good? I have that one in my queue as well.

Did watch Quarantine 2 and I'd say about an hour of it was decent then the last 30 minutes it started slowly going down hill. Not as good as the original one but still watchable. I had thought the entire thing was going to take place in the plane, which had me kinda worried since the plane is so small, but it does not.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 05, 2012, 10:34:59 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on February 05, 2012, 08:26:18 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 05, 2012, 01:31:50 AM

So was it good? I have that one in my queue as well.

it was OK-  the acting was decent enough but there was a lot that didn't make sense.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 06, 2012, 02:54:47 AM »

Watched a low budget horror comedy called Chillerama Saturday night on Netflix streaming.  It had moments of fun due to the nature of the movie (it's set in a drive in and it does successfully capture the feel of b movies at times), but the majority of it is so badly written and juvenile that I can't really recommend it.  It's 3 short films by three different filmmakers with only the second story being even remotely witty and fun.  The wrap around story is equally juvenile but at least it has the drive in setting to play off of.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: February 07, 2012, 02:11:58 AM »

I just got notified that the new Netflix-original series Lilyhammer is now available to watch instantly, and that would be all 8 episodes.

EDIT: After watching the first episode I would say it seems interesting, but also slightly ham-fisted in portraying Van Zandt as a clueless/tasteless mob cliche.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:45:12 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 11, 2012, 02:39:42 PM »

Finally got around to Tucker & Dale.  So great.  Just a note perfect film.

Also, that girl from 30 Rock is easy on the eyes.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 11, 2012, 02:55:12 PM »

Timecrimes is up. Not sure if this is a new addition, but I just noticed it.  It's a very clever Spanish made time travel story involving a murder mystery.  Two thumbs up.  Don't read the viewer comments for the movie though.  They give away the mystery and will ruin the film for you.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: February 11, 2012, 03:58:05 PM »

I had that on my wishlist for a long time.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 12, 2012, 01:28:51 AM »

Yeah Timecrimes was pretty good. A bit nutty at times but it kept me interested throughout.

Saw that Netflix has the Smash pilot, the new musical show, and figured I'd check it out. Actually wasn't too bad. Good enough to start a season pass on the DVR. Was also nice that the thing didn't have single commercial so could just watch it straight through. Wish they would get more current TV show pilots on there.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 13, 2012, 06:17:23 AM »

Wife and I watched Tucker & Dale vs. Evil last night. Fantastically funny. So glad we saw it.

LiveTAG: happydog
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 15, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »

How to end my interest in a film in 5 words or less.

I noticed a film featuring Jackie Chan on the cover listed in my "suggested for you" section.  I hover my mouse over the film in order to read the pop up synopses.  The synopses begins with "Jackie Chan is a lawyer...".

as an aside, I noticed they now have the extended versions of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy.  Each movie clocks in at a little over 3 hours.   icon_eek
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:47:40 PM by hepcat » Logged

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 27, 2012, 04:12:28 AM »

Two great foreign films just went up.

Elite Squad: The Enemy Within is a crime drama set in Rio and written by the screenwriter for the great City of God.  It's an interesting look into the underworld of Brazil.

Norwegian Ninja is a very funny fictional retelling of the life of a Norwegian diplomat who was convincted of treason in the eighties.  Instead of being a traitor in this version though, he's the head of an ultra elite ninja force that protects Norway from its enemies.  It has a disappointing ending but the movie is often laugh out loud funny.  The trailer clinched it for me.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:14:41 AM by hepcat » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: