http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:48:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Netflix Instant Watch recommendation thread  (Read 63328 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: October 20, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on October 20, 2011, 03:44:42 PM

So this is interesting: I watched the first episode of Breaking Bad on Netflix yesterday and not only did it seem more censored that I remember it ("goddamn" and "shit" were bleeped out. I only remember them doing that for "fuck" before) but it seemed to me that whole scenes were missing. For instance, isn't it the first episode where
Spoiler for Hiden:
Skyler gives him a handjob while bidding on EBay
? Because that certainly wasn't shown. Or was that just an exciting weird dream.

odd, I watched the first episode a week ago and it had all of that.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 20, 2011, 04:26:06 PM »

It also didn't have
Spoiler for Hiden:
the scene where he has to wash his student's car.
Very odd.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 20, 2011, 04:49:42 PM »

Sounds like the Netflix streaming / discs get the edited for TV version.  Netflix tells me that it's only 48 minutes.

As part of AMC's commitment to presenting a cinematic and immersive entertainment experience to our audience we prepared two versions of the pilot of Breaking Bad. The first version, which aired at 10PM on Sunday, January 20th was presented without commercial interruption in order to provide an experience that is as immersive and exciting as possible. Subsequent versions of the show have been shown with limited commercial breaks which have required an edit with a shorter run time and a TV-14 Rating.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 20, 2011, 04:56:23 PM »

They must have switched it. I watched it when it first hit streaming and it had all the scenes Ralph has mentioned.  I even remember thinking the first spoilered scene was a bit awkward...

Because I can,
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 20, 2011, 05:03:17 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 20, 2011, 04:49:42 PM

Sounds like the Netflix streaming / discs get the edited for TV version.  Netflix tells me that it's only 48 minutes.

As part of AMC's commitment to presenting a cinematic and immersive entertainment experience to our audience we prepared two versions of the pilot of Breaking Bad. The first version, which aired at 10PM on Sunday, January 20th was presented without commercial interruption in order to provide an experience that is as immersive and exciting as possible. Subsequent versions of the show have been shown with limited commercial breaks which have required an edit with a shorter run time and a TV-14 Rating.

Huh. Interesting. Hopefully that means the edits are only for the pilot episode and not the others. I wonder why they also bleeped out words that weren't originally bleeped.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 20, 2011, 05:24:27 PM »

how odd.   icon_confused

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: October 20, 2011, 06:09:08 PM »

Could you guys maybe start a separate Buffy thread and leave the Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations to actual new recommendations?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 20, 2011, 06:16:49 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 20, 2011, 06:09:08 PM

Could you guys maybe start a separate Buffy thread and leave the Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations to actual new recommendations?

But a breaking bad analysis is acceptable?

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: October 20, 2011, 06:28:09 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 20, 2011, 06:16:49 PM

A couple posts analyzing the fact that the Breaking Bad episodes available on Instant Watch are not the full-length, full-content episodes is different than a page-long discussion of random episodes of Buffy.

Plus, Breaking Bad fucking rules.  Tongue

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 20, 2011, 06:32:03 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 20, 2011, 06:28:09 PM

Quote from: hepcat on October 20, 2011, 06:16:49 PM

A couple posts analyzing the fact that the Breaking Bad episodes available on Instant Watch are not the full-length, full-content episodes is different than a page-long discussion of random episodes of Buffy.

Plus, Breaking Bad <bleep>ing rules.  Tongue

Fucking Netflix.

Because I can,
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 24, 2011, 06:18:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 20, 2011, 04:56:23 PM

They must have switched it. I watched it when it first hit streaming and it had all the scenes Ralph has mentioned.  I even remember thinking the first spoilered scene was a bit awkward...

Ditto. 

I think Amazon Instant still offers the Breaking Bad pilot episode for free, so you may try that to see whether it is the full version.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 24, 2011, 06:38:56 PM »

It looms like its available, but I'd have to wait until later to verify. There's an episode zero that says AMC's and episode one says Pilot. Zero is free.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 24, 2011, 06:41:08 PM »

Something we now have on Canuckistan Netflix, with the recent inclusion of Eye of the Tiger, is the Ray Harryhausen (same person that did effects for the 1981 Clash of the Titans) Sinbad trilogy. Unfortunately The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973) was dropped recently. frown  Anyhow, for anyone who never caught this trilogy, IMO they're very good Saturday afternoon sword and sorcery flicks - great if you have kids to watch them with. What's most impressive about them is the Dynamation (think clayamation) effect used for the animation which, despite looking dated, is still impressive in quality. I also like that the scripts were kept in line with traditional S&S, where sorcery/magic is limited and mostly in the hands of evil antagonists. I only ever watched the 58 film (Sinbads 7th Voyage) before, so seeing the other 2 has been a treat.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:56:53 PM by kronovan » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: October 24, 2011, 06:41:40 PM »

I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I just watched Troll Hunter last night and it was well worth it.  After the start I was afraid it was going to go for the horror angle, but it quickly became more fantasy/scifi documentary.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 24, 2011, 08:13:23 PM »

I noticed that The Vampire Diaries are up on instant watch now.  Don't tell rritchard and ceekay, but I'm tempted to see what all the fuss was about after all their shouts of approval for the show.   paranoid

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: October 25, 2011, 05:32:51 PM »

I've heard nothing but good things about The Robber.   It's a german crime caper based on a real story about a marathon runner/bank robber.  Gonna check it out this weekend.

p.s. ignore the obvious attempt to tie the movie in with The Town by using a very similar box cover photo.  that's the studios trying to cash in, not the filmmaker trying to make the connection.   they're nothing alike, supposedly.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: October 26, 2011, 05:14:57 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 25, 2011, 05:32:51 PM

I've heard nothing but good things about The Robber.    It's a german crime caper based on a real story about a marathon runner/bank robber.  Gonna check it out this weekend.

p.s. ignore the obvious attempt to tie the movie in with The Town by using a very similar box cover photo.  that's the studios trying to cash in, not the filmmaker trying to make the connection.   they're nothing alike, supposedly.

Added to my queue, thanks for the heads up.  It's rare that one of their streaming movies shows a predicted rating of 3.5 stars or better for me.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 26, 2011, 06:30:34 AM »

Can anyone recommend to me some scary, but not gory, movies available on streaming?  I've seen Paranormal Activity and I've got PA2 queued to watch this week, but I'd like some others.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 26, 2011, 12:16:47 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on October 26, 2011, 06:30:34 AM

Can anyone recommend to me some scary, but not gory, movies available on streaming?  I've seen Paranormal Activity and I've got PA2 queued to watch this week, but I'd like some others.

Lake Mungo is good.

So is The House of the Devil
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 26, 2011, 12:57:34 PM »

Legend of Hell House.  It's an older film (60's) but it's almost up there with the original The Haunting when it comes to good scares.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 26, 2011, 02:12:47 PM »

I actually tried watching Transmorphers the other night, thinking it might be so bad it's funny.

nope.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 26, 2011, 07:17:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 26, 2011, 02:12:47 PM

I actually tried watching Transmorphers the other night, thinking it might be so bad it's funny.

nope.

I NEED 50 cc's OF QUALITY ENTERTAINMENT OVER HERE...STAT!  Ceekay, stay with us, buddy.  Blink if you can hear me.  I've got some X-Men: First Class on the way and...wait...what's that, little buddy?  You want me to...you want me to put Transmorphers back on!?

...you heard him, boys.  Let him go.  It's his choice.  Just let him go. 

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 27, 2011, 12:26:58 AM »

The Warriors Way and Season of the Witch is available on instant Netflix

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 31, 2011, 09:21:21 AM »

They've finally added Deep Space Nine, so they now have all the Trek series smile

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 31, 2011, 11:01:19 AM »

I've been watching Vampires Diaries via Netflix instant watch.  I am now a fan

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 31, 2011, 02:06:59 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on October 31, 2011, 09:21:21 AM

They've finally added Deep Space Nine, so they now have all the Trek series smile

Jump over to the episode called In the Pale Moonlight at some point to realize just how friggin' great the series can be...and that Garak owns that show.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 02:08:35 PM by hepcat » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 31, 2011, 02:19:57 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 31, 2011, 11:01:19 AM

I've been watching Vampires Diaries via Netflix instant watch.  I am now a fan

one of us! one of us!  icon_lol

Quote from: EddieA on October 31, 2011, 09:21:21 AM

it's been on there for about a month.  I thought I posted about it, but is doesn't seem like I did.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 02, 2011, 12:21:27 AM »

One of my favorite late 80's guilty pleasures showed up on instant. North Shore.

Here's the plot. A young surfing champ from Arizonia (they "surf" in a large pool over there) heads to Hawaii to ride the North Shore waves. It doesn't go as planned for this haole. Along the way he finds love, danger, learns the loco lingo, and a little bit about life too. Plus there's surfing! It's completly 80's cheese but so sincere that you gotta love it.

Now if Netflix gets Band of the Hand I'll be 80's cheese satisfied.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 02, 2011, 03:16:40 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on November 02, 2011, 12:21:27 AM

One of my favorite late 80's guilty pleasures showed up on instant. North Shore.

I actually remember this movie.   icon_eek

A while back I watched an 80's guilty pleasure of my own on Netflix.  Thrashin'.   icon_redface

I haven't yet checked to see if Side Out or Gleaming the Cube are available on demand (Cube being a 90's guilty pleasure), but I did find Only the Strong and might get me a capoeta fix sometime soon. 

I am so ashamed. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 02, 2011, 03:34:03 PM »

Excuse me while I put on my day-glo spandex and watch me some Cool As Ice.

"Drop that zero and get with a hero!"

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: November 02, 2011, 06:05:36 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 02, 2011, 03:16:40 PM

Quote from: Crawley on November 02, 2011, 12:21:27 AM

I actually remember this movie.   icon_eek

A while back I watched an 80's guilty pleasure of my own on Netflix.  Thrashin'.   icon_redface

I haven't yet checked to see if Side Out or Gleaming the Cube are available on demand (Cube being a 90's guilty pleasure), but I did find Only the Strong and might get me a capoeta fix sometime soon. 

I am so ashamed. 

I had forgotten about Side Out. That's another one I kinda enjoyed even though it was so bad. Its like someone had seen the beach volleyball scene in Top Gun and thought to themselves, I can make a movie about this! The best part of the movie, beyond the bikini's, was the main characters played a game against real beach volleyball players Sinjin Smith and Randy Stoklos who were also in the video game Kings of the Beach which I loved. So that game was like an unlicensed tie in for me.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 02, 2011, 06:15:27 PM »

Where's my Krush Groove?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 14, 2011, 05:51:09 PM »

started watching the anime 'Highschool of the Dead' last night after hearing that once you got past the silly boob physics and gratuitous underwear shots there is a decent zombie survival story.

so far I'll give them the first two facts but the third is still to be determined.

Because I can,
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 14, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »

The Trip

Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon playing a variation of themselves on a foodie tour through England. Wonderfully under-acted except in certain scenes, and all the funnier for it.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 14, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »

Pontypool

An interesting take on the Zombie story.  It's not quite what you think it is.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 15, 2011, 05:17:09 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 14, 2011, 09:03:20 PM

Pontypool

An interesting take on the Zombie story.  It's not quite what you think it is.

I liked the idea behind the virus but didn't really like the film. Too many strange or odd scenes thrown in that I'm not sure the movie knew exactly what it wanted to be. And what was that at the very end of the film after the credits? Was like from a Tarantino film.

One thing I have noticed with streaming is that HD streaming quality seems to have improved. Before the HD video was as good as upsacling DVD. Now it seems better than that. The image looks a lot crisper and I'm not seeing artifacts from compression.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 15, 2011, 05:07:34 PM »

I just finished watching all of the Breaking Bad seasons on there (1-3). Now I sadly don't know what to watch next. Started watching 30 Rock, but am not feeling it so far. I watched season 1 of the Walking Dead and liked that. Any recommendations for something more along the lines of Breaking Bad and Walking Dead? Movie or TV doesn't matter.

LiveTAG: happydog
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 15, 2011, 05:22:54 PM »

Just noticed Legend of the Seeker was on there.  I never did get around to finishing that...will have to put it on the post-Buffy watch list.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 17, 2011, 03:15:54 AM »

Idiocracy , just a fun funny movie about where we will be in the future: http://revision3.com/toasteddonut/feed/MP4-hd30
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 17, 2011, 05:10:46 AM »

The first two seasons of Warehouse 13 are up and I've absolutely fallen in love with this show. It's hilarious, and a supernatural treasure hunt each week with a funnier version of Mulder & Scully is just what I was looking for. I wish there was more of an overall threat in the first season (three eps does not an archnemesis make) but it's a really fun show to watch.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: