http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 07:40:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Netflix Instant Watch recommendation thread  (Read 58522 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: September 23, 2011, 01:34:32 AM »

I see that Where the Buffalo Roam is now available to stream.  If you haven't heard of it, it is Bill Murray doing an awesome version of Hunter S Thompson through various adventures (including bits of Fear and Loathing).  Peter Boyle is also great as Lazlo.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 27, 2011, 05:56:12 PM »

Looks like Trollhunter made it on to Netflix streaming. It's a fun shaky cam adventure.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 29, 2011, 06:51:56 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on September 27, 2011, 05:56:12 PM

Looks like Trollhunter made it on to Netflix streaming. It's a fun shaky cam adventure.

<sigh>  it's subtitled;  why can't netflix be like Amazon and offer the dubbed versions for streaming?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 29, 2011, 02:19:54 PM »

I just noticed that Running Wilde is up on Netflix.

Ignore the female lead (Keri Russel) and this show could be hilarious.  It doesn't hurt that it stars Will Arnett and has Mitchell Hurwitz as a creator...both from the legendary Arrested Development.

But forget all that greatness and marvel at the comic genius of the actor who plays Fa'ad (Peter Serafinowicz).  Once you see an English actor playing a middle eastern billionaire impersonating Alan Alda as a street thug, you'll know you're in the presence of greatness.

Quote from: CeeKay on September 29, 2011, 06:51:56 AM

<sigh>  it's subtitled;  why can't netflix be like Amazon and offer the dubbed versions for streaming?

They almost always do on foreign films, much to my dismay.  I DEFINITELY prefer subtitled over dubbed on my foreign films.  It's like they go out of their way usually to hire voice actors who are either on helium or have recently suffered a stroke.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 29, 2011, 06:44:12 PM »

Agree. I can't stand the dubs. I really wanted to watch "Ichi" but its all dubbed and couldn't listen to more than 10 minutes it.  Also wanted to see the Swedish film "Together" but its almost impossible to watch with that bad dubbing. I'm hoping Netflix will offer subtitled/dubbed audio options at some future point.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 29, 2011, 08:09:49 PM »

Dubbing is great for those of us with

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 29, 2011, 09:34:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 29, 2011, 08:09:49 PM

... blindness caused by a runaway case of syphilis?

Just taking a stab of what you meant there.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: September 29, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »

Short attention spans that constantly get

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 30, 2011, 05:29:45 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on August 23, 2011, 06:04:04 PM

"The Man From Nowhere" which has a bit of a "The Professional" feel to it.

I thought it felt more like just a Korean version of Man on Fire. Only hero guy is a lot more fond of knives. Either way, I really really enjoyed the movie.

Also had a ton of fun with Ip Man. It's slightly cheesy, but it's just a waaay fun martial arts movie. The tone changes rather drastically part of the way through, but as long as that isn't too jarring for you it's a great movie.

The troglodytes afraid of subtitles need not apply  slywink

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 30, 2011, 05:38:15 PM »

If I even think about that knife fight at the end of Man from Nowhere, I wince.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: October 10, 2011, 10:49:36 PM »

I've never really been interested in Buffy, but after rewatching a couple Firefly episodes over the weekend and wanting more Whedon, I decided to give it a shot.  Watched the first two episodes last night, and enjoyed it more than I expected to.  The acting was kinda shitty (does it get better?), but the writing, story, and setting are all pretty cool.

Will be interesting to jump into that series.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Dave Allen
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 10, 2011, 11:06:44 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 29, 2011, 10:52:00 PM

Short attention spans that constantly get

spanish-speaking only cashiers at fast food restaurants.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 10, 2011, 11:10:10 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 10, 2011, 10:49:36 PM

I've never really been interested in Buffy, but after rewatching a couple Firefly episodes over the weekend and wanting more Whedon, I decided to give it a shot.  Watched the first two episodes last night, and enjoyed it more than I expected to.  The acting was kinda shitty (does it get better?), but the writing, story, and setting are all pretty cool.

the acting gets a little better as the characters get more interesting.  I loved the series and re-watch it every year or so.

Because I can,
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 11, 2011, 01:08:26 AM »

Buffy Season 1 is very rough and uneven.  Don't worry--it gets much. much better.  S2 and S3 are excellent.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 11, 2011, 01:28:06 AM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on October 11, 2011, 01:08:26 AM

Buffy Season 1 is very rough and uneven.  Don't worry--it gets much. much better.  S2 and S3 are excellent.

+1

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 11, 2011, 05:52:43 PM »

Another +1.

I wasn't sure what the big deal was when I started watching Season 1. It was ok but not great. S2 is where it gets good.
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 13, 2011, 01:09:16 AM »

And another +1. Buffy Season 1 is by far the worst season, but even Season 1 finds its stride in the back stretch. Seasons 2 and 3 are glorious. Some of the best writing you'll ever find on television.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 13, 2011, 01:28:48 AM »

Thanks for the input.  I'm 5 episodes in and while it hasn't knocked my socks off, it's still very entertaining.

I'd also forgotten how ridiculously hot SMG was back in the day.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 13, 2011, 02:56:06 AM »

There are some awesome episodes in there... a couple of favorites that come to mind are the musical episode "Once More With Feeling" (6th season) and the one with no spoken dialogue called "Hush" from the 4th season.  icon_cool

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 13, 2011, 01:51:59 PM »

The Buffy Season 1 comments are all true, but I'll throw out there that even season 2 can be spotty.  I'm saying this while also saying that season 2 is my favorite.  Even though there are some stinker episodes in it, the good episodes are absolutely some of the best I've seen from any series ever, and more than make up for it.  Season 3 is technically better and more consistent, but I still like season 2 the best.

That said, even bad Buffy is still better than 90% of everything else.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 13, 2011, 04:03:16 PM »

I must be the rare and misguided voice of dissent.  I tried to enjoy Buffy on a number of occasions as my wife is a huge fan and has watched the entire series more than once.  But any time I sat down to watch with her and was intrigued by a particular story arc or interesting monster/demon premise, the story would inevitably degrade right back to an ongoing surplus of teenage relationship drama.  Just as the series would start to grab me, it would lose me again with the relationship nonsense.  As complex as the characters seemed to be, and despite Whedon's knack for witty dialogue, no one seemed intelligent or mature enough to communicate about even the most basic of relationships. 

While Firefly had its own ongoing relationship dramas, they were at least handled with a little more maturity and tact.  Whereas in Buffy most episodes would eventually degrade into modified episodes of Saved By The Bell.   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 13, 2011, 04:11:48 PM »

characters on buffy were actually supposed to be teenagers.  hence the immaturity of their interactions as opposed to the adults on firefly who just acted like teenagers at times.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 13, 2011, 04:18:12 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 13, 2011, 04:11:48 PM

characters on buffy were actually supposed to be teenagers.  hence the immaturity of their interactions as opposed to the adults on firefly who just acted like teenagers at times.

I understand they were supposed to be teenagers, but given the pretentiousness and suggested advanced maturity and intellect with which these "teenagers" acted, the transition from how they handled general monster-fighting adversity versus teen crushes was so disjointed and jarring that it ruined the series for me.  In one scene they'd demonstrate advanced maturity and in the next they'd be clumsily stumbling around one another with a complete inability to say or do anything constructive.  I found it frustrating and completely disjointed from how Whedon would normally attempt to present the characters.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 13, 2011, 04:24:24 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 13, 2011, 04:18:12 PM

Quote from: hepcat on October 13, 2011, 04:11:48 PM

I understand they were supposed to be teenagers, but given the pretentiousness and suggested advanced maturity and intellect with which these "teenagers" acted, the transition from how they handled general monster-fighting adversity versus teen crushes was so disjointed and jarring that it ruined the series for me.  In one scene they'd demonstrate advanced maturity and in the next they'd be clumsily stumbling around one another with a complete inability to say or do anything constructive.  I found it frustrating and completely disjointed from how Whedon would normally attempt to present the characters.

So in other words, they acted like teenagers?   icon_wink

Honestly, what you describe as disjointed and frustrating I describe as spot on for Whedon.  Whedon doesn't have a "normal attempt to present the characters" that he applies across the board.  He writes them like they're supposed to act in the world he places them...which I thought was very well done (for the most part) in the case of Buffy. 

I guess we'll agree to disagree as I obviously can't understand your reasons for disliking the show and vice versa. 

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 13, 2011, 04:27:14 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 13, 2011, 04:24:24 PM

I guess we'll agree to disagree as I obviously can't understand your reasons for disliking the show and vice versa.

So in other words, they acted like teenagers?   icon_wink

That is probably what I disliked so much about the series.  I have little patience for or interest in teen drama or what I consider to be nonsense and because the series was rife with it I quickly lost interest in both the characters and the relationships in which they found themselves. 

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 13, 2011, 08:23:28 PM »

Part of the appeal of Buffy, for me, was watching the characters start as teenagers dealing with messed up situations, and seeing them grow over seven season into fully-functioning adults, informed by their experiences as teenagers.  Buffy is one of the few examples of a series where the characters undergo real and lasting growth and maturing as the series progresses.  You do have to watch it over a few years to see that, of course.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 13, 2011, 11:19:46 PM »

Just finished Season 1...I'm completely and totally hooked.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 13, 2011, 11:28:05 PM »

Glad you're hooked after season 1.  Now it's about to get good.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 15, 2011, 08:19:46 PM »

I know it wasn't exactly well-received, but Torchwood : Miracle Day is available on streaming now.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 15, 2011, 09:01:54 PM »

reedin is HARD!  ;}
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 15, 2011, 09:43:12 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 15, 2011, 09:01:54 PM

reedin is HARD!  ;}
maybe I could hire James Earl Jones to read the subtitles to me....

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 20, 2011, 01:35:41 PM »

Wow.  Just when I thought the show was really starting to get a bit too formulaic (i.e. someone they didn't expect is possessed/a demon/a witch/etc, things look hopeless, everyone gets saved at the end), I watch this episode last night:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The 'Passion' episode in which Angel goes nuts, starts stalking Buffy's family, and kills Jenny Calendar

Outside of being bummed because I liked the character that died, it really drew me back into the story.  The characters have gotten much stronger, the relationships are more interesting (although I could have done with a little less Buffy/Angel makeouts), and both the writing and acting have gotten significantly better. 

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 20, 2011, 01:41:07 PM »

That episode is, in my opinion, pretty much the best episode of any show, ever, and also the moment where the show turns the corner to completely amazing.  God, that climactic moment is just so incredibly unexpected and well done.  I love it.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 20, 2011, 01:42:23 PM »

Whedon will toss ANY character under the bus if he feels it will shake things up.  That's what makes him a great episodic writer.  

Start watching Angel after you finish Buffy and watch what he does with established characters on THAT show.   icon_eek
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:57:23 PM by hepcat » Logged

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 20, 2011, 02:20:43 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on October 20, 2011, 01:41:07 PM

That episode is, in my opinion, pretty much the best episode of any show, ever, and also the moment where the show turns the corner to completely amazing.  God, that climactic moment is just so incredibly unexpected and well done.  I love it.

I don't know about best ever (for me, that's still a toss-up between Firefly's "Out of Gas" and Ben's funeral episode from Scrubs), but it was one of the very few times I've damn near been moved to tears from a TV show.  One of the things that is so remarkable about that episode was the reactions from the other characters.  Both SMG and Anthony Stewart Head do a amazing job conveying the loss, anger, and frustration of the situation.

Oh, and this season needs more Spike.  That guy is awesome.  smile

P.S.  What else has Anthony Stewart Head been in?  I'd check IMDB, but I'm afraid of coming across some Buffy spoilers.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 02:22:16 PM by Gratch » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 20, 2011, 02:29:32 PM »

he was in Merlin, the BBC fantasy series that was shown on Sci Fi.  I believe that is also on Netflix as well.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 20, 2011, 02:54:53 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 20, 2011, 02:20:43 PM

Oh, and this season needs more Spike.  That guy is awesome.  smile

James Marsters surprised the hell out of me when I found out he was:

a) NOT from the U.K.

b) born in 1962

icon_eek

Damn good actor who should have gone beyond just genre shows. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 20, 2011, 02:57:53 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 20, 2011, 02:54:53 PM

Quote from: Gratch on October 20, 2011, 02:20:43 PM

Oh, and this season needs more Spike.  That guy is awesome.  smile

James Marsters surprised the hell out of me when I found out he was:

a) NOT from the U.K.

b) born in 1962

icon_eek

Damn good actor who should have gone beyond just genre shows. 

well he did get to play Piccolo in Dragonbal: Evolution, and also got to make out with Jack in Torchwood....

[edit]  ooooo, and he's in this week's episode of Supernatural along with Cordelia!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:08:20 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 20, 2011, 03:21:48 PM »

I think the resonance of that episode grows as the season goes on.  There are ripples. 

And don't worry, there will be plenty of Spike to come.  Spike is amazing.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 20, 2011, 03:44:42 PM »

So this is interesting: I watched the first episode of Breaking Bad on Netflix yesterday and not only did it seem more censored that I remember it ("goddamn" and "shit" were bleeped out. I only remember them doing that for "fuck" before) but it seemed to me that whole scenes were missing. For instance, isn't it the first episode where
Spoiler for Hiden:
Skyler gives him a handjob while bidding on EBay
? Because that certainly wasn't shown. Or was that just an exciting weird dream.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: