http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 01:49:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Netflix Instant Watch recommendation thread  (Read 62432 times)
Covenant and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 11, 2011, 07:35:25 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 11, 2011, 06:03:05 PM

Quote from: rickfc on July 11, 2011, 05:55:04 PM

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on July 11, 2011, 05:15:27 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 11, 2011, 02:17:48 PM

BTW, the girlfriend wants me to sit down with her and watch Grave of the Fireflies.  I looked it up and it sounds very depressing- anyone else see it?

Woah, woah, woah. Hold on a second here. Girlfriend? Ceekay has a girlfriend? Now I know that the apocalypse is truly upon is.

I personally think it's cute that he's decided to go steady with one of his hands.  icon_eek

icon_lol
left hand wears your before insanity picture and the right wears your after insanity picture.  three way baby!

drool  icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 11, 2011, 10:15:12 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 11, 2011, 04:42:09 PM

Quote from: Lordnine on July 11, 2011, 04:32:53 PM

Grave of the Fireflies is extremely well made and effective storytelling yet I still can't recommend it.  When I finished watching it I felt like I was in a stupor for quite a while afterwards.

Same here.  A friend strongly recommended it, and one evening over the Christmas holiday he popped it in and was adamant we watch it.  While the animation and storytelling was stellar, the story itself was terribly depressing, especially for an animated feature, and at the end I too felt like I was in a solemn stupor.  A great film I don't think I'll ever watch again.

While I share both of your sentiments on the mood of it, I do think this film is a must see by anyone who is, or who's ever been, a fan of feature-length animes. The quality of it is just that good. I also think its one of the most realistic portrayals of the tragedy or war ever done in any film media. From my discussion with friends who've seen it, the impressions and impact of it varies from person to person. Some people seem to get caught up with that it doesn't clearly depicting Japan's involvement/guilt in WWII and consequently dismiss it outright. That's a shame IMO as its not really the films purpose; it depicts a war time tragedy that could occur anywhere the world, and it does with a quality that's pure art. Personally I think it's an anime masterpiece, but at the same time a stern reality check.
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 11, 2011, 10:30:30 PM »

"I Like Killing Flies" was entertaining. It's a documentary about a greasy spoon in NYC. Apparently the guy who runs it was the inspiration for the Soup Nazi
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 11, 2011, 11:17:23 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 11, 2011, 10:15:12 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on July 11, 2011, 04:42:09 PM

Quote from: Lordnine on July 11, 2011, 04:32:53 PM

Grave of the Fireflies is extremely well made and effective storytelling yet I still can't recommend it.  When I finished watching it I felt like I was in a stupor for quite a while afterwards.

Same here.  A friend strongly recommended it, and one evening over the Christmas holiday he popped it in and was adamant we watch it.  While the animation and storytelling was stellar, the story itself was terribly depressing, especially for an animated feature, and at the end I too felt like I was in a solemn stupor.  A great film I don't think I'll ever watch again.

While I share both of your sentiments on the mood of it, I do think this film is a must see by anyone who is, or who's ever been, a fan of feature-length animes. The quality of it is just that good. I also think its one of the most realistic portrayals of the tragedy or war ever done in any film media. From my discussion with friends who've seen it, the impressions and impact of it varies from person to person. Some people seem to get caught up with that it doesn't clearly depicting Japan's involvement/guilt in WWII and consequently dismiss it outright. That's a shame IMO as its not really the films purpose; it depicts a war time tragedy that could occur anywhere the world, and it does with a quality that's pure art. Personally I think it's an anime masterpiece, but at the same time a stern reality check.

In short it is a classic film and worth watching. It's certainly not for children so don't expect your 5 year old to enjoy it because it is animated.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 29, 2011, 02:38:34 PM »

I just streamed a very good film last night - Carlos. It's a French language film and I watched it via Netflix Canada,  so again I'm not sure if it'll be available on the US Netflix service. The film is about a Venezuelan named Carlos who became a terrorist for a Palestinian organization in the 1970's. He was nicknamed the Jackal by the press, but he's not the assasin depitcted in Forsythe's novel 'The Day of the Jackal.' It's brutal and realistic in it's portrayal, and presents a good look at young European leftist intellectuals that got caught up in Arab world terrorist organizations in the 60's - 80's. I guarantee that anyone who doesn't know the background history as to why every government in the world no longer negotiates with terrorists, will no after watching this.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 29, 2011, 02:41:04 PM »

I have that in my Netflix queue, not sure if I'll ever get to it though since subtitled movies tend to get overlooked in favor of those done with proper English  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 29, 2011, 03:09:43 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 29, 2011, 02:38:34 PM

I just streamed a very good film last night - Carlos.

are you talking about the mini-series?  If so, I've started to watch it a couple of times, but never could get myself to sit still long enough.  It's 3 whole movies.  I need to just force myself to sit down and watch them sometime though.  it's supposedly very good.

Quote from: WorkingMike on July 11, 2011, 10:30:30 PM

"I Like Killing Flies" was entertaining. It's a documentary about a greasy spoon in NYC. Apparently the guy who runs it was the inspiration for the Soup Nazi

that is a very good documentary, but it's not the guy they based the Soup Nazi on (although a lot of people who watched that movie mistakenly think so).  Here's the real soup nazi inspiration in all his incredibly hostile glory.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:12:56 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 30, 2011, 06:30:38 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 29, 2011, 03:09:43 PM

Quote from: kronovan on July 29, 2011, 02:38:34 PM

I just streamed a very good film last night - Carlos.

are you talking about the mini-series?  If so, I've started to watch it a couple of times, but never could get myself to sit still long enough.  It's 3 whole movies.  I need to just force myself to sit down and watch them sometime though.  it's supposedly very good.

Yup, that's the series - except on Netflix Canada the 3 movies were edited and joined sequentially into a single 3 hour long movie. I'm not sure if anything was lost in that process, but it seemed cohesive and the proper length. There also didn't appear to be any plot holes.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 18, 2011, 08:48:53 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 07, 2011, 09:23:35 PM

Quote from: Laner on July 07, 2011, 09:07:18 PM

Quote from: Jumangi on July 01, 2011, 06:45:27 AM

The first of the Star Trek TV shows and a few of the movies are available tomorrow.

Looks like all of the tv series (with the exception of DS9) are on instant watch.
Here's hoping it shows up soon; it's the one I want to see the most. 

well DS9 isn't on Netflix Instant yet, but Amazon Prime Instant Video has them now.

Because I can,
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 18, 2011, 08:31:57 PM »

As I go through the application process, study for the PCAT exam, and continue to volunteer at the in-patient pharmacy at St. Joe's hospital, I've developed a recent interest in the series Scrubs and have already watched all of Season 1 and am about halfway into Season 2.  My wife is now also hooked.  Having finished Firefly we were trying to decide what to watch next.  Guess that has already been decided for us. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 18, 2011, 10:27:50 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 18, 2011, 08:31:57 PM

As I go through the application process, study for the PCAT exam, and continue to volunteer at the in-patient pharmacy at St. Joe's hospital, I've developed a recent interest in the series Scrubs and have already watched all of Season 1 and am about halfway into Season 2.  My wife is now also hooked.  Having finished Firefly we were trying to decide what to watch next.  Guess that has already been decided for us. 

I typically steer clear of sitcoms, but absolutely adored Scrubs.  I even like the last season, which everybody else seemed to hate.  Dr. Cox is my idol, and having this as eye candy is never a bad thing:

unibrow

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 18, 2011, 10:28:32 PM »

yep, Gratch loves Cox.

(jeebus, took someone lonjg enough to set up that one)

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 19, 2011, 12:33:33 AM »

13 Assassins is an action packed film that was pretty decent. Its in the vien of "7 Samurai" where a bunch of samurai with big personalities take on a much larger force. There's a few spots where it went slightly too far taking liberties with reality but other than that it's a fun and bloody action picture.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 19, 2011, 12:42:20 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on August 19, 2011, 12:33:33 AM

13 Assassins is an action packed film that was pretty decent. Its in the vien of "7 Samurai" where a bunch of samurai with big personalities take on a much larger force. There's a few spots where it went slightly too far taking liberties with reality but other than that it's a fun and bloody action picture.

Agreed.  If you like Samurai movies this one is pretty decent.

I do think the director or writer has perhaps played a bit too much Samurai Warriors or Dynasty Warriors though.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:49:13 AM by ydejin » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: August 19, 2011, 12:43:02 AM »

I just watched 13 Assassins on Blu-ray and enjoyed it as well.  I didn't realize it had gone to Instant Watch, but I vote it worthwhile.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 23, 2011, 06:04:04 PM »

Watched a couple more good ones recently.

"The Reef", is an Aussie shark attack film. Its somewhat by the books as far as those films go but it looks great and gets the tension right.

The other two were mentioned here before. The Korean films "I Saw the Devil", which is bloody violent but compelling to watch, and "The Man From Nowhere" which has a bit of a "The Professional" feel to it.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 23, 2011, 09:27:28 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 19, 2011, 12:43:02 AM

I just watched 13 Assassins on Blu-ray and enjoyed it as well.  I didn't realize it had gone to Instant Watch, but I vote it worthwhile.

It's one of the few Miike films I've watched that didn't make me doubt there was any goodness left in the universe after 12 minutes.  But yeah, VERY good film!

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 23, 2011, 11:24:40 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on August 19, 2011, 12:33:33 AM

Quote from: Crawley on August 23, 2011, 06:04:04 PM

The Korean films "I Saw the Devil", which is bloody violent but compelling to watch

2 thumbs up for both of those. I just wish Netflix Canada offered them - you guys living state-side are so spoiled.  icon_frown
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 24, 2011, 05:20:04 PM »

It's goofy, childish in a lot of places and not very well written, but I in spite of all its flaws, I actually enjoyed Kung Fu Dunk.   It reminded me a bit of Kung Fu Hustle.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 29, 2011, 10:37:34 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 19, 2011, 12:43:02 AM

Finished this last night, and mostly enjoyed it.  My only gripe was that the large battle ended up feeling somewhat repetitive by the end.  Started to feel like I was watching the same 5 minute loop of fighting over and over again.

On the anime front, Samurai Champloo is now available, which is one I'd always wanted to see (done by the same guy as Cowboy Bebop).  Watched the first couple episodes, and really like it so far.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: August 30, 2011, 01:10:06 AM »

I saw that The Expendables is on Instant Watch now, as well as something called Inferno: The Making Of The Expendables.  I watched the movie and it was pretty decent, for a mindless action movie. 

I haven't watched the Making Of thing yet, but the summary sounds interesting:
Oscar-winning actor, writer, director and producer Sylvester Stallone furnishes an unvarnished look at his career, producing and directing methods, and unprecedented access to the filmmaking process of his retro action extravaganza, The Expendables. Stallone's candid revelations about the price, both mental and physical of being a film action hero underscore the fragility of stardom, and the tenacity of one of Hollywood's biggest stars.

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: September 02, 2011, 02:32:32 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 30, 2011, 01:10:06 AM

I saw that The Expendables is on Instant Watch now, as well as something called Inferno: The Making Of The Expendables.  I watched the movie and it was pretty decent, for a mindless action movie. 

Oscar-winning actor, writer, director and producer Sylvester Stallone furnishes an unvarnished look at his career, producing and directing methods, and unprecedented access to the filmmaking process of his retro action extravaganza, The Expendables. Stallone's candid revelations about the price, both mental and physical of being a film action hero underscore the fragility of stardom, and the tenacity of one of Hollywood's biggest stars.

I just watched the documentary tonight and it was really good. I had no idea how intense Sly is. He really puts a lot of heart into his movies.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 02, 2011, 03:09:46 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on September 02, 2011, 02:32:32 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 30, 2011, 01:10:06 AM

I just watched the documentary tonight and it was really good. I had no idea how intense Sly is. He really puts a lot of heart into his movies.

Is this the documentary that shows him getting a concussion during one of the fight scenes and then later having to see a doctor about an ankle injury?  I was amazed at just how dedicated he was to the project and how important he felt it was to keep everything on schedule, make sure that filming was done when all actors were available, and how important it was for him to do all of his stunts despite his injuries and older age.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 04, 2011, 09:16:42 PM »

Just finished The Expendables.  For an utterly silly action film, it was actually pretty damn fun.   thumbsup
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 09:19:24 PM by Gratch » Logged

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 05, 2011, 03:05:12 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 04, 2011, 09:16:42 PM

Just finished The Expendables.  For an utterly silly action film, it was actually pretty damn fun.   thumbsup

Dolph Lundgren FTW

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 05, 2011, 02:52:21 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 05, 2011, 03:05:12 AM

Dolph Lundgren FTW

Loved his stupid pirate joke.  icon_lol

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 06, 2011, 03:34:49 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on September 05, 2011, 02:52:21 PM

Quote from: hepcat on September 05, 2011, 03:05:12 AM

Dolph Lundgren FTW

Loved his stupid pirate joke.  icon_lol

Every time I start to feel good about life, I just remember that Dolph has a master's degree in chemical engineering and was accepted to MIT on a Fullbright Scholarship and I feel like a loser again.

Back on topic:  Watched a fairly interesting documentary on Grindhouse films that had Joe Dante and John Landis as part of the commentary cast.  While not as in-depth as I'd liked (see Not Quite Hollywood for a great documentary on Australian exploitation cinema in the same vein), it's still a lot of fun.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 10, 2011, 01:10:59 AM »

Just watched Aisha Tyler is Lit.

I think I'm in love.   The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: September 10, 2011, 02:46:23 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 06, 2011, 03:34:49 PM

Back on topic:  Watched a fairly interesting documentary on Grindhouse films that had Joe Dante and John Landis as part of the commentary cast.  While not as in-depth as I'd liked (see Not Quite Hollywood for a great documentary on Australian exploitation cinema in the same vein), it's still a lot of fun.

I did enjoy Not Quite Hollywood as well.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 10, 2011, 10:31:19 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 10, 2011, 01:10:59 AM

Just watched Aisha Tyler is Lit.

I think I'm in love.   The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

That ... was not quite what I had expected.  I like her, especially in Archer, and there was some enjoyable stuff.  But I wouldn't say she's made my list of top comedians.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 11, 2011, 09:53:59 AM »

Found this Showtime series from several years ago I never heard of called Sleeper Cell. Its been pretty good so far. Something different from the usual stuff that gets put on TV.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 11, 2011, 02:53:42 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on September 11, 2011, 09:53:59 AM

Found this Showtime series from several years ago I never heard of called Sleeper Cell. Its been pretty good so far. Something different from the usual stuff that gets put on TV.
Plus it has Oded Fehr, who rocks.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 11, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »

I streamed Alfred Hitchcock's Marnie this weekend. I don't know how I missed it all these years, but It's got to be about the only Hitchcock film from the 50-60's that I'd never watched. It subject is more subdued than many of his films from that era, but it was very good none the less. And if you're a fan of vintage Sean Connery, this is 1 of his best performances IMO. I'm viewing via Netflix Canada so I'm not sure if this is available on the US service, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 03:36:29 PM by kronovan » Logged
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 12, 2011, 02:47:30 AM »

Weird Science is back on streaming... yay.  Watched last night.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 12, 2011, 03:32:20 AM »

just noticed they have Breaking Bad up now, perhaps I'll check it out.

Because I can,
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: September 12, 2011, 03:51:34 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 12, 2011, 03:32:20 AM

just noticed they have Breaking Bad up now, perhaps I'll check it out.

Hell yeah. That show is awesome!
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: September 12, 2011, 02:38:46 PM »

I have never seen Breaking Bad before. I watched the first three episodes of season one and I am hooked.

I wish they would get Fringe and Warehouse 13 up on Netflix.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 12, 2011, 06:24:53 PM »

Sweet about Breaking Bad. Was one of those shows that I always meant to watch but just kept on missing it when they replayed it.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 12, 2011, 06:27:23 PM »

Keep with it if you start watching Breaking Bad.  Otherwise you'll miss the later season greatness that is Gus.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 19, 2011, 04:59:19 PM »

Netflix Canada just got a handful of some really nice 60's gems in the past month - many of them Hitchcock films. So far I've watched Topaz, Charade and Torn Curtain, and all have been great. I recommend them all, especially Charade.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: