http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 05:37:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Netflix Instant Watch recommendation thread  (Read 58429 times)
Ralph-Wiggum
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2011, 10:26:47 PM »

I recently watched the Joan Rivers documentary. It was surprisingly excellent and the Joan Rivers that came through was much more likable than the persona you see on E! and QVC. And her stand-up is actually pretty funny (and dirty).  thumbsup
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2011, 10:57:07 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 08, 2011, 09:39:09 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 08, 2011, 08:34:35 PM

I just finished watching The Kill Pit series on Instant Watch.

Kill POINT?

Uh, yeah.  I must have been thinking of the in-development name or something.  slywink  (which actually was The Kill Pitt...)

Sandwiches do fix everything.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2011, 02:56:12 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on February 08, 2011, 10:26:47 PM

I recently watched the Joan Rivers documentary. It was surprisingly excellent and the Joan Rivers that came through was much more likable than the persona you see on E! and QVC. And her stand-up is actually pretty funny (and dirty).  thumbsup

Joan Rivers stand-up has always been funny and raunchy.  She just sucks as a talk-show host.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 09, 2011, 04:45:37 AM »

Dunno if I'd reccomend this exactly but since it was the strangest movie I've seen I figure I'd mention it. The film is "Dogtooth". Its about a family where the three "kids" (like 20 year olds) have been cut off from the rest of the world. Their parents teach them differently from everyone else. Like words that mean one thing to us mean something completely different to them (a "phone" is a salt shaker apparently). Planes can fall out of the sky and turn in to toy planes. The father brings home a prostitute to have sex with the son weekly.

I started the film thinking I would just check it out for a minute or two but couldn't turn it off. I had to see where the film was going. When the film ended I've never been so vocal. I basically said: "What?" "What?" "WHAT?" "What???" "What just happened?" "What?" "WHAT!?!?"

This film moved waaay beyond "Zardoz" for the strangest film I've ever seen. And it has a dance number that topples the odd dance number from "Napolean Dynamite."
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 09, 2011, 09:03:54 PM »

The Troll Hunter

Norwegian subtitled Cloverfield-style movie about the existence of trolls, basically.

It's a pretty neat movie, especially if you like Godzilla, King Kong, etc. But do yourself a favor.....don't look at any pics or videos of the movie before watching it. I'm thankful I never did.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: February 09, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »

Troll Hunter looks great but sadly isn't on Netflix yet. I added Dogtooth. Thanks for the heads up Crawley.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 09, 2011, 09:40:27 PM »

It's not?

I was over a friend's house when we watched it and I thought he got it from Netflix  icon_confused

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 09, 2011, 09:43:19 PM »

If he "got it" from Netflix, then it was on a disc, no?  This is the Netflix streaming thread.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 09, 2011, 09:52:38 PM »

Troll Hunter isn't available at all on Netflix.  

I thought maybe RedBox but a search on RedBox's site shows it as not available yet there either.

Your friend is in all likelihood a filthy pirate.  smile

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 09, 2011, 09:54:51 PM »

haha this should be an interesting conversation next time I talk to him

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 09, 2011, 09:56:11 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on February 09, 2011, 09:52:38 PM

Troll Hunter isn't available at all on Netflix.  

I thought maybe RedBox but a search on RedBox's site shows it as not available yet there either.

Your friend is in all likelihood a filthy pirate.  smile

This is one I've been waiting on to hit theaters, so it's doubtful it's available on disc yet...at least not here in the U.S..

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 09, 2011, 10:00:38 PM »

He has one of those tv's that can use Netflix directly, so I assumed that's what he did.

Has anyone checked on the pirate sites to see if it's even there?

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 09, 2011, 10:06:48 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on February 09, 2011, 10:00:38 PM

He has one of those tv's that can use Netflix directly, so I assumed that's what he did.

Has anyone checked on the pirate sites to see if it's even there?

you never fail to bring the  icon_lol

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 09, 2011, 10:08:50 PM »

Well, looks like I got an exclusive viewing, ahead you all.

haha suck it!  Cabbage Patch

icon_razz

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 09, 2011, 10:20:51 PM »

Yes, The Troll Hunter is on the pirate sites.  There isn't even a date yet for the release of the DVD.  So your buddy is a thieving pirate.  smile
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2011, 10:24:17 PM »

I'll make amends for him by buying it as soon as it is released  icon_razz

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 10, 2011, 02:35:33 PM »

Okay, new to Netflix is a little Australian horror film called Primal .

It's low budget, the acting is okay but not great, and it's just plain fun.  It reminds me of old school, low budget horror films like Raimi's Evil Dead and Jackson's Dead Alive.  Frenetic, goofy at times, gory as all get out (but in an over the top, way too ridiculous to be sickening way) and obviously made with love for the genre.   The end takes a strange turn that doesn't seem to fit with the previous 80 minutes of the movie, but even that's so darn odd that you have to laugh.

It won't change the world, but it's a fun 90 minutes.

spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 10, 2011, 03:06:02 PM »

I saw Primal the other night and it was okay.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Ancient cave slug?

I finally caught Monsters as well. I remember hearing some faint hype about the movie, not necessarily here, but in the end I found it pretty 'meh'. I didn't see the point other than to make a sociopolitical commentary on the state of illegal immigration between the US and Mexico.

I caught a French thriller called High Lane last night. Think if it as a mountain climbing version of Wrong Turn or The Hills have Eyes. Or the opposite of The Descent or The Cave (they go up instead of down and bad things happen).

Also saw a Sam Neill flick called Under the Mountain, a movie based on a New Zealand television series. It was the Wonder Twins vs Cthulhu, basically. Besides the obvious Lovecraftian influences, it also featured one of the more silly names you can come up with for an evil alien entity:
Spoiler for Hiden:
The Wilberforces gonna get ya! Yeah!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 03:16:37 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 10, 2011, 03:14:12 PM »

I hadn't heard of High Lane.  Adding it now.  Thanks!

As for Primal, like I said, it's goofy but fun.  There are some imaginative shots in the film that are pretty impressive for the amount of cash he had (they raised the money for the movie themselves, I've heard).   He may be a director to watch in the future.  

edit:  spigot, if i remember correctly, you've given out some really good suggestions on films before...films that aren't usually in the spotlight.   hopefully you'll recommend more in the future!   icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 03:23:34 PM by hepcat » Logged

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 23, 2011, 03:02:44 AM »

Bad news for netfix streaming fans.  Netflix is losing the rights to Showtimes current shows.  This means they will be pulling all episodes of Dexter amongst other things.  I am none too happy about this.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20046098-261.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 23, 2011, 03:11:38 AM »

meh, I don't they've ever had anything beyond Dexter season 2 on streaming anyways.

I noticed they're consolidation whole series into one entry for the streaming stuff.  if you look at Dexter or Angel you can see what I mean.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 23, 2011, 03:23:39 AM »

Not a big deal with Showtime. It's not like you can see Dexter marathons ON the freakin network to begin with, anyway.
Although, those 2 seasons of Dexter did get me into the show.
But then I did what everyone else will do (borrow/rent dvds, etc) - find other ways to watch what they want when they want and the networks can go f off. Rather than them getting SOME money for their 5 year old shows, they can get 0. Good strategy.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 23, 2011, 03:54:24 AM »

Weeds is Showtime, right?  I'll have to watch those next.

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 23, 2011, 04:07:50 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 23, 2011, 03:11:38 AM

meh, I don't they've ever had anything beyond Dexter season 2 on streaming anyways.

I noticed they're consolidation whole series into one entry for the streaming stuff.  if you look at Dexter or Angel you can see what I mean.

exactly...you could only watch the first two seasons of Dexter before you had to start checking out the discs anyway.  unfortunately, the season 3 discs always seem to be listed as a 'long wait' mad

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 23, 2011, 05:01:19 AM »

Quote from: disarm on March 23, 2011, 04:07:50 AM

exactly...you could only watch the first two seasons of Dexter before you had to start checking out the discs anyway.  unfortunately, the season 3 discs always seem to be listed as a 'long wait' mad
So if you want to keep going, you have to rent or buy the DVDs giving the dineros back to Showtime in the long run.  Dexter Season 3 disc forgot which number is on the "never going to see it" list right now.
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2011, 08:18:13 AM »

Quote from: disarm on March 23, 2011, 04:07:50 AM

especially stupid lousy disc 2
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 25, 2011, 02:11:10 AM »

Watched Monsters today and I thought it was pretty good. Not astoundingly teh awesome!!!OMG or anything, but a solid, tight little film. I liked that you can count on one hand the number of times you see the monsters. Pretty good little flick overall. It says a lot though that the director was given the reigns to the new Godzilla film after making this.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 25, 2011, 03:46:18 AM »

I'm sure I posted about this earlier, or in another thread but my wife started this series Life on Mars and can't stop watching (downside effect is my xbox-live time is non-existant until she finishes the show)

A couple episodes and I'm sucked in as well goddamnit.  Good series, check it out.  Like many other good quality shows, this one deserved so much more like Firefly.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2011, 02:18:39 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on March 25, 2011, 03:46:18 AM

I'm sure I posted about this earlier, or in another thread but my wife started this series Life on Mars and can't stop watching (downside effect is my xbox-live time is non-existant until she finishes the show)

A couple episodes and I'm sucked in as well goddamnit.  Good series, check it out.  Like many other good quality shows, this one deserved so much more like Firefly.

BBC or American version?  I heard the americanized attempt was actually pretty good, but I loved the original BBC version.  Philip Glenister as Gene Hunt was a force of nature....

edit:  d'oh, you must mean the American version as the BBC version isn't available on Watch Now.  Still, I would highly recommend having your wife give the BBC version a go if she likes the American one.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 02:20:48 PM by hepcat » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 25, 2011, 02:35:08 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 25, 2011, 02:18:39 PM

Quote from: USMC Kato on March 25, 2011, 03:46:18 AM

BBC or American version?  I heard the americanized attempt was actually pretty good, but I loved the original BBC version.  Philip Glenister as Gene Hunt was a force of nature....

edit:  d'oh, you must mean the American version as the BBC version isn't available on Watch Now.  Still, I would highly recommend having your wife give the BBC version a go if she likes the American one.

it was a good show.  the ending
Spoiler for Hiden:
I didn't care for.  I imagine if they had more seasons they could have built up to it better but it felt out of place.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 25, 2011, 03:05:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 25, 2011, 02:35:08 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I didn't care for.  I imagine if they had more seasons they could have built up to it better but it felt out of place.

which version are you referencing? 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 25, 2011, 03:14:21 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 25, 2011, 03:05:36 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 25, 2011, 02:35:08 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

which version are you referencing? 

oh, the US version.  I haven't seen the British copy yet  icon_wink

Because I can,
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 25, 2011, 03:35:02 PM »

I know its not instant watch, call MR. Fed to sue me...   slywink 

But where the hell is sons of anarchy season season 3?  Seems like years ago when I watched season 2.

True blood Season 3?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 26, 2011, 09:21:14 PM »

The League Season 1 was just added.  Probably my favorite comedy on TV right now.  Unfortunately the first season is just six episodes, but it's great.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 31, 2011, 02:16:55 AM »

awesomesauce!  according to Feedfliks the Adventures of Young Indiana Jones is coming on April 1st.

they'd better not be making it up....

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 31, 2011, 02:22:39 AM »

Quote from: Morgul on March 25, 2011, 03:35:02 PM

I know its not instant watch, call MR. Fed to sue me...   slywink 

But where the hell is sons of anarchy season season 3?  Seems like years ago when I watched season 2.

True blood Season 3?
True Blood Season 3 is out May 31st and Sons Season 3 is supposedly out October 31st.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: March 31, 2011, 02:42:24 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 31, 2011, 02:16:55 AM

awesomesauce!  according to Feedfliks the Adventures of Young Indiana Jones is coming on April 1st.

they'd better not be making it up....

You can go to Netflix and see the upcoming date there as well for all 3 volumes.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2011, 05:15:46 AM »

Quote from: gellar on March 26, 2011, 09:21:14 PM

The League Season 1 was just added.  Probably my favorite comedy on TV right now.  Unfortunately the first season is just six episodes, but it's great.

Love this show.  Season 2 needs to be on netflix ASAP.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2011, 02:13:28 PM »

We have a new roommate with Netflix and he linked his account to my Xbox so we now have the ability to watch Netflix Instant Watch titles.  So far we checked out Bigger, Faster, Stronger which was surprisingly entertaining and well-done, and while studying one afternoon I inadvertently discovered a beloved childhood film, Thrashin'.   ninja 

We're hoping to check out a long list of movies and shows I wouldn't normally buy.  Ink is near the top of our list, along with Ip Man, we're going to take advantage of having The League available (we've already seen the first season, but still rather entertaining), and there are a number of others I noticed while briefly browsing through the system.  Looking forward to having this little luxury.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2011, 02:23:39 PM »

Pete, in case you may have missed them it's time we introduced you to Instantwatcher and FeedFliks.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: