http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 08:50:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Moto X is the best phone I ever purchased.  (Read 559 times)
Morgul
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2013, 02:42:58 AM »

I am a gadget freak.

I was the first in my office with a blackberry.  Also got the first touchscreen blackberry, the storm.
I was the first in my office with the Droid 1.  I jumped on windows phone 7 when it came out.  I really liked my Iphone 5.   Last December I went back to Android and jumped on a HTC DNA.   Very sweet, quad core processor, etc.   

Giving this for a background before I tell you about my recent purchase.   The Moto X.

I just got a Moto X last week from amazon on the Verizon network.  Wow.  It really is a special phone.  I do not think I could ever go back to a phone that does not have its special functions.   
If you are coming up to the end of your contract I highly recommend you take a serious look at the Moto X.   

IMO, it is a game changer.  Just a FYI to my buddies and a heads up to anyone getting ready to purchase a phone.     
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 03:49:28 AM »

Would you recommend it for somebody who's never used a smartphone and isn't a gadget freak? I need to replace my flip phone after the first of the year. Hoping to find one that's easy to use and not too expensive and that will last a few years, but I kinda need training wheels. I have verizon.

What are the special functions you like so well?

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 03:51:39 AM »

What is special about it? What functions does it have that separates it from its competition? What makes it better than one of the higher end Android phones?

I thought the Moto X was just another Android phone that lets you choose its colors. Am I missing something? From what have read the Nexus 5 is the Android phone to get right now.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 05:25:38 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on November 11, 2013, 03:49:28 AM

Would you recommend it for somebody who's never used a smartphone and isn't a gadget freak? I need to replace my flip phone after the first of the year. Hoping to find one that's easy to use and not too expensive and that will last a few years, but I kinda need training wheels. I have verizon.

What are the special functions you like so well?

Yes I would.  It is almost vanilla android and is easy to use.   Here is a thread you might like to read. http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/327461-too-old-android.html

I paid $50 bucks for it on amazon, although in a few days Verizon will get motomaker.  https://www.motorola.com/us/motomaker

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 05:43:26 AM »

Quote from: Lee on November 11, 2013, 03:51:39 AM

What is special about it? What functions does it have that separates it from its competition? What makes it better than one of the higher end Android phones?

I thought the Moto X was just another Android phone that lets you choose its colors. Am I missing something? From what have read the Nexus 5 is the Android phone to get right now.

Here is a pretty techie review and it gets pretty deep on the moro X unique architecture.  http://www.anandtech.com/show/7235/moto-x-review

Here is a review thats a little lighter, but attempts to explain the features.  http://gizmodo.com/moto-x-review-the-android-phone-for-everybody-1034784286

You really got to use it to understand, but I will try to describe what makes it so good.

The first is called Moto assist.   When I get in my car and start driving, the phone knows that I am in my car driving.   If someone texts me, it will read the text to me.  it will also reply back to them and let them know I am driving and will get back to them as soon as possible.

I can say ok google now, call grandma and it calls her.  If someone calls me, it tell me who is calling and if I say answer, it answers with the speaker phone.

The phone is always listening.  All you have to do is say "Ok google now and it wakes up".  For example, if I can't find it before work, I say "ok google now , find my phone"  The phone starts making a loud noise so that I can find it under the pillow on the couch.

Ok google now, navigate to (whatever) and off it goes...  All without even touching the phone.    Getting dressed before work.  Ok google now, whats the weather?  it spits out the weather.

Read the reviews and they can explain in better detail then I can.  But, it is not just a gimick.  It is useful.  everday, expecially when driving.

It also made of kevlar, fits well in the hand, battery lasts me all day, etc.

I love the phone.  More than any phone I have ever had.   So I thought I would let you guys know.   I am sure its not for everyone, but if you are buying a phone soon, you should look hard into the X.

Here is a forum with lots of discussion.  There is a pages long thread comparing it to the nexus 5 too. 

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 05:51:33 AM »

Hmm, that looks pretty attractive. My wife just got a Nexus 4 (I think) and paid $300 for it at Best Buy. Way more than I want to spend.

So if you buy it from amazon or moto maker, do you take it to a verizon store to get it activated? Remember I know nothing about smartphones.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 05:58:29 AM »

When it comes in the mail you just call Verizon and they activate it.   *611 from a cell phone.

watch this video, he does a good job explaining it.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/5/4588922/moto-x-review

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 06:18:50 AM by Morgul » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 06:31:53 AM »

Sounds like a great phone if you drive a lot and want to interact with your phone while doing so. Cheap as well. Still wouldn't buy one over a Nexus 5. If I was going to make the switch from iOS, that would be the phone. Of course the Nexus is a lot more expensive.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 06:52:57 AM »

Will the Nexus 5 always be listening? I just got one for my wife. Just imagine what people would say if MS came out with a phone that was always listening.  smile
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 06:54:42 AM »

Quote from: Lee on November 11, 2013, 06:31:53 AM

Sounds like a great phone if you drive a lot and want to interact with your phone while doing so. Cheap as well. Still wouldn't buy one over a Nexus 5. If I was going to make the switch from iOS, that would be the phone. Of course the Nexus is a lot more expensive.
The Nexus is unlocked. I don't think the motor X is unlocked at $50.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 10:14:08 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 11, 2013, 06:52:57 AM

Will the Nexus 5 always be listening? I just got one for my wife. Just imagine what people would say if MS came out with a phone that was always listening.  smile

Nope, the only phones with this feature are the Moto X and the motorola droid Maxx.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 10:22:25 AM »

Quote from: Lee on November 11, 2013, 06:31:53 AM

To each his own. The nexus 5 cannot be used on Verizon, but I would not trade my X for it even if it did.  Battery life is very important to me and I cannot say enough about the unique features.  There is no going back for me.

Here is a discussion comparing the two. Some of the posters have both phones.   http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/328891-moto-x-over-nexus-5-a.html

Here is a nexus 5 review.  http://gizmodo.com/nexus-5-review-the-best-is-still-the-best-especially-1458003288

Lots of comparison to the Moto X in that review.  Pay close attention to the conclusion.   

copy/paste:

But is it the best Android phone? That's tougher to answer. It's almost hard to believe, but the scrappy little Moto X, with its comparatively meagre 720p screen and dual-core 1.7GHz processor, gives the Nexus 5 a run for its money. The Moto X has form-factor on its side. It also has innovation; the touchless controls and active display are features I genuinely missed when I switched to the Nexus, and the rest of the Moto X OS is really very close to stock Android. Plus, you can customize the hell out of it. That said, it's not nearly as future-proof, updates will come slower, and if you want it off-contract and customized you're looking at about $480.

We'll let the question of the Moto X loom in the air, but we'd definitely take the Nexus 5 over the HTC One or Galaxy S4 or Droid Maxx. If you're into specs or if you're an Android purist, then this is definitely the phone for you.

MrZubbleWump
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 06:56:23 PM »

I thought that the "Okay Google" feature was part of the new Android KitKat update.  I know that a lot of Android phones will be coming out with this feature in the future.  My Samsung S3 is supposed to be getting it soon.  I'm glad that you like your phone but I don't think this one feature will be unique to Moto X for much longer.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 07:08:30 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 11, 2013, 06:52:57 AM

They'd be better off punching babies.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 07:11:39 PM »

maybe they'll come out with a 64 gig version, but then again I'm ready to go back to iOS.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 07:16:48 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 11, 2013, 07:11:39 PM

maybe they'll come out with a 64 gig version, but then again I'm ready to go back to iOS.

The 1520 has expandable memory. slywink Also they have the drive app that does the same thing as this - and BT will turn the voice/dictation function on by default. I have the car holder with the NFC in it, and just tap it before I put it in the holder to open the drive app.

Sounds like the MotoX has the conveniences that work well though. One of the things about Android (earlier versions) is the generic aspect. Nice to see Motorola "making it their own".

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 07:19:15 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 11, 2013, 07:16:48 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 11, 2013, 07:11:39 PM

The 1520 has expandable memory.

they're already up to 1520?  seems like just yesterday it was 1020.  at this rate they'll be up to 2020 by the time I get a new phone.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 07:22:31 PM »

2520 is a tablet running Win81RT.
The 1520 is a 21Mpx 6" phablet (quad core, 2GB RAM). They use the 2stage LED flash rather than the xenon flash from the 1020.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 07:27:17 PM »

Quote from: MrZubbleWump on November 11, 2013, 06:56:23 PM

I thought that the "Okay Google" feature was part of the new Android KitKat update.  I know that a lot of Android phones will be coming out with this feature in the future.  My Samsung S3 is supposed to be getting it soon.  I'm glad that you like your phone but I don't think this one feature will be unique to Moto X for much longer.

It can have Google now but you will still have to use your hand to wake it up.    The Motorola have a dedicated core for just this purpose.  In order for other companies to get it they will have to change the architecture.   It is not possible on any other phone at this time.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 11:17:18 PM »

It sounds like the voice activation will work with other phones running KitKat. Below a site got it by hacking the google launcher from the Nexus 5 update on other phones. I would guess, that when phones get "officially" updated to KitKat, that they will also offer this feature. Still, cool for the Moto X to be ahead of the curve on this feature.

Linky

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 01:17:07 AM »

Quote from: JCC on November 11, 2013, 11:17:18 PM

It sounds like the voice activation will work with other phones running KitKat. Below a site got it by hacking the google launcher from the Nexus 5 update on other phones. I would guess, that when phones get "officially" updated to KitKat, that they will also offer this feature. Still, cool for the Moto X to be ahead of the curve on this feature.

Linky

Hrmm, I do not think I am being clear.  

From that article
copy/paste: While before today, most Android devices worked with voice activated access to Google Search only through the Google Search or Google Now app itself, the newest in Android technology allows it from the app or from any home screen

The Moto X listens when the the phone is "asleep".  You do not have to wake it up.  It is listening when the screen is black.  The only phones that can do this is the motorola X and the Droid Maxx.  Not even the nexus 5 can do this.

You can make a phone call, make it scream to find the phone, or get the weather outside, navigate to wherever, etc. without ever touching the phone.   When you say "ok google now" the phone wakes up, you do not have to touch any buttons.  

The phone knows when you are driving, you do not have to tell it your driving.  It then reads texts, answers phone calls etc. without you ever touching the phone.    

See this article and this quote:

First of all, the "OK Google" command will be hardware-dependent. Google isn't saying exactly what the required silicon is, but at the moment, only the Nexus 5 will have access to the feature - even the other Nexus devices due to be updated won't be able to join in. Second, the "OK Google" command works on the home screen in Android 4.4... but not when the screen is off. That removes the "touchless" aspect of Touchless Control, essentially extending the "OK Google" voice command from Google Now throughout Android. It's not clear whether this is a technical limitation (possibly having to do with the contextual cores on Motorola's semi-custom X8 SoC hardware) or simply a feature that's been reserved for Motorola's branded devices.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/10/31/kitkat-feature-spotlight-4-4-includes-moto-x-style-ok-google-voice-commands-but-only-on-the-nexus-5-for-now/
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:27:00 AM by Morgul » Logged
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 01:34:19 AM »

You're right. I skimmed my article quickly and missed that it was just working from the home screen.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 01:44:59 AM »

Quote from: JCC on November 12, 2013, 01:34:19 AM

You're right. I skimmed my article quickly and missed that it was just working from the home screen.

Yea, not knocking anyone's phones, I love all smart phones.  I was torn between this and the G2.  I am sure the next gen phones will all have the touch less stuff .  

I honestly thought it would just be a neat gimmick.  

I mainly got the X because I thought it would be sturdy with the Kevlar and all.  I also liked the size of it, vanilla android, etc.

But the touch less stuff really surprised me. Its not a gimmick, it is useful.  (I even got somewhat of a hillbilly accent and it has no problems with my voice.)  

So, I made this post to give a heads up on this phone.      

Somehow my son has it recognizing his voice, so he keeps knocking his sister out of plants vs zombies 2.  I am getting tired of hearing "ok google now" over and over when those two are in the car, heh.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:46:45 AM by Morgul » Logged
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 03:15:17 PM »

I believe I read that the always-listening features do not work if you lock your phone with a PIN, which is understandable but unfortunately neuters that feature for a lot of folks.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 04:01:21 PM »

Yea.   But check out the new trusted blue tooth device settings.   You enable that and as long as you are in range of the device no screen lock.
There are 'chips'  or a smart watch.   A blue tooth speaker.   A key chain called zomm. Fitbit.  Nike band. Anything thats bluetooth can be a trusted device.

I  am personally waiting on the vybe bracelet. Cool stuff :-)

https://www.wearvybe.com/order

copy/paste:

How to keep the Moto X unlocked with Bluetooth devices
If you use a pattern lock or a PIN then itís a pain when youíre in the car or connected to your Moto X via a Bluetooth headset and the screen keeps locking. Thankfully thereís a nifty feature to get round it. Go to Settings > Security and choose Trusted Devices and you can pick paired Bluetooth devices that are trusted. Now your Moto X wonít lock when youíre in the car or using your headset

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/moto-x-helpful-tips-and-tricks/
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 04:09:24 PM by Morgul » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: