http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 09:12:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Monte Cristo has left the building  (Read 4048 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2008, 05:49:59 PM »

As some may remember, I consider the Bennigan's Monte Cristo (seen below in a photo that actually causes grease to form on your computer screen) to be the single greatest sandwich ever created by human hands.

Unfortunately, I just found out that the Bennigan's near me is closing .  As a matter of fact, a LOT of Bennigan's are closing.  This means I have to pump even more money into my Monte Cristo research fund...and perhaps start feeding the culinary scientists I have trapped in my apartment building's cellar...in order speed up their progress on "Project DAMN, THAT'S GOOD".

In light of this sad, sad news, I think the board should be brought down for a few minutes in order to pay tribute to what I affectionately like to call "Death's Little Helper".

icon_frown

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 05:52:31 PM »

Never heard of this place, but I saw an article that said the entire chain went kaput.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 05:54:33 PM »

Anyone wanna loan me about 14,000 dollars to install a walk in freezer and pay for 1500 Monte Cristo sandwiches before the end of August?

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 06:20:11 PM »

Here's what you do, hep. Go to a Bennigan's this weekend. Order a couple of Monte Cristo's. Then, after feeling satiated by their grease goodness, comment to the waitress about how sad you're about hearing about the chain closing but how you would really like to meet the amazing staff behind the culinary masterpiece you just ate. Ask to meet the Chef. Be walked out back.... the proceed to kidnap him so that he may cook Monte Cristo's for you for life.

Or.. you can just ask/beg for the secret recipe!
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on July 29, 2008, 06:20:11 PM

Here's what you do, hep. Go to a Bennigan's this weekend. Order a couple of Monte Cristo's. Then, after feeling satiated by their grease goodness, comment to the waitress about how sad you're about hearing about the chain closing but how you would really like to meet the amazing staff behind the culinary masterpiece you just ate. Ask to meet the Chef. Be walked out back.... the proceed to kidnap him so that he may cook Monte Cristo's for you for life.

I think they closed effective immediately, or that was the gist of the article I saw.  Steak and Ale restaurants too.  I can't remember the last time I've eaten at either, personally, but that sandwich does look tasty.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 06:27:19 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 29, 2008, 05:54:33 PM

Anyone wanna loan me about 14,000 dollars to install a walk in freezer and pay for 1500 Monte Cristo sandwiches before the end of August?

$14k? After paying for the freezer, you're not leaving much left for all the sandwiches.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 06:32:09 PM »

Funny, a couple co-workers and I ate at one last week and I mentioned I wanted to come back to try the Monte Cristo. Oh well....

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 06:34:02 PM »

Quote from: kathode on July 29, 2008, 06:27:00 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on July 29, 2008, 06:20:11 PM

I think they closed effective immediately, or that was the gist of the article I saw.  Steak and Ale restaurants too.  I can't remember the last time I've eaten at either, personally, but that sandwich does look tasty.

Mmmm, the chain closing immediately does put a crimp to my plan.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 06:48:10 PM »

Good riddance. A friend of mine begged me to try a Monte Cristo for months before I finally caved in and ordered one. I took two bites, nearly threw up in my plate, and cussed him all the way home for making me waste my money and go back to work hungry. Powdered sugar and meat were never meant to be combined, and anybody who believes so is a godless demon spawn that should crawl back into the filthy sewer mouth of Hell that birthed them. No offense, hepcat.  icon_razz
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 06:49:54 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on July 29, 2008, 06:48:10 PM

Good riddance. A friend of mine begged me to try a Monte Cristo for months before I finally caved in and ordered one. I took two bites, nearly threw up in my plate, and cussed him all the way home for making me waste my money and go back to work hungry. Powdered sugar and meat were never meant to be combined, and anybody who believes so is a godless demon spawn that should crawl back into the filthy sewer mouth of Hell that birthed them. No offense, hepcat.  icon_razz

None taken, as I know the Monte Cristo isn't for everyone. 

Women, for example.

What I'm trying to say is that I would only be offended if you weren't a pansy girl-man with no discernible external testicles and an utter need to watch Sex and the City reruns whenever you're upset...

icon_razz
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:44:21 PM by hepcat » Logged

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 07:04:55 PM »

yup, closed immediately.  hepcat, you need to divert funding from the recipe division to the time travel division so you can go back and buy up a supply yesterday.

article in question

if your store was a franchise, then you are in luck however.  those aren't in the chapter 7 filing. 

this sounds like a royal screwing over by the owners to the workers.  no last paycheck, no forewarning, just a call at midnight telling them the store was closed. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 07:05:41 PM »

yeah, i saw that bit on the midnight call and thought, "what a crappy thing to do to the employees".   icon_eek

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 07:17:18 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 29, 2008, 07:05:41 PM

yeah, i saw that bit on the midnight call and thought, "what a crappy thing to do to the employees".   icon_eek

I once had a coworker who had an even less considerate experience.  He showed up for work one Monday morning and found that the locks had been changed and the doors were chained closed.  Through the windows he could see that all furniture had been removed from the property as well.  Apparently the company he worked for at the time closed that regional office but had no intentions of telling the employees.  They just changed the locks, chained all of the doors, and moved out all company furniture over the weekend. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 07:26:37 PM »

Reminds me of a joke Bobcat Goldthwait used to tell.

"I lost my job recently.  Well...I actually didn't lose it.  I mean, I know where it's at.  It's just every time I go there, someone else is doing it."

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 07:34:04 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 29, 2008, 07:17:18 PM

Quote from: hepcat on July 29, 2008, 07:05:41 PM

I once had a coworker who had an even less considerate experience.  He showed up for work one Monday morning and found that the locks had been changed and the doors were chained closed.  Through the windows he could see that all furniture had been removed from the property as well.  Apparently the company he worked for at the time closed that regional office but had no intentions of telling the employees.  They just changed the locks, chained all of the doors, and moved out all company furniture over the weekend. 

Sounds like The Prime Gig. An interesting take on the world of Telemarketing.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 07:36:37 PM »

If you have a Cheddar's near you, they've got a pretty tasty Monte Cristo.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 07:45:28 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 29, 2008, 06:49:54 PM

None take, as I know the Monte Cristo isn't for everyone. 

Women, for example.

Yes, because eating a deep-fried sugar coated "sandwich" is the hallmark of manliness?

Face it, your beloved concoction is nothing more than a lunchmeat donut.
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 07:49:06 PM »

Bummer, the one by work here just recently started making their burgers available on the glorious pretzel rolls and I really liked their Guinness glazed burger.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 08:04:52 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on July 29, 2008, 07:36:37 PM

If you have a Cheddar's near you, they've got a pretty tasty Monte Cristo.

Road trip to Rockford!
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 08:11:49 PM »

Bennigan's is gone?   icon_cry

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 08:14:37 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on July 29, 2008, 08:11:49 PM

Bennigan's is gone?   icon_cry

They've been closed in the Phoenix area for a while.  There was one near our old office in Tempe and it closed down over a year ago.  I've been under the impression that they've been floundering for some time.  I'm actually surprised there were still some around. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 08:34:13 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on July 29, 2008, 07:45:28 PM

Women, for example.

Yes, because eating a deep-fried sugar coated "sandwich" is the hallmark of manliness?

The only thing I'm facing is your overt femininity.  How dare you mock the sandwich that was once called "America's Silent Killer" and "Cancer's Copilot"!   You don't have the cajones to tackle a Bennigan's Monte Cristo so you take out your frustration on the most noble of the meat and breading food group from behind the anonymity of a public forum. 

Bah, I must remember to just ignore the prattling of lesser men, I guess.  The Monte brings that out in the weak. 

Road trip to Rockford!

we need crayola as our guide.  plus, we'll need backup muscle.  rockford's a tough city. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:36:14 PM by hepcat » Logged

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 29, 2008, 08:34:13 PM

Quote from: Eightball on July 29, 2008, 07:45:28 PM

Women, for example.

The only thing I'm facing is your overt femininity.  How dare you mock the sandwich that was once called "America's Silent Killer" and "Cancer's Copilot"!   You don't have the cajones to tackle a Bennigan's Monte Cristo so you take out your frustration on the most noble of the meat and breading food group from behind the anonymity of a public forum. 

Bah, I must remember to just ignore the prattling of lesser men, I guess.  The Monte brings that out in the weak.

I just wish I could still find that famous picture with Yellowking holding a beer and sticking his tongue out used in a thread to support his drinking prowess, only to learn that the beer featured in the photo still had its cap on.   icon_wink

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 08:43:45 PM »

I'll see if i can find the one in which he's wearing a girl's scout uniform and sporting a gold tiara.

if i can't, i'll just hand draw one.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 10:05:21 PM »

Ours closed in town today as well.  It was about the only place that stayed open past 9-10pm here in town.  It will be missed.  I made lost of friends with folks that worked there.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 11:54:01 PM »

Road trip to Rockford!

we need crayola as our guide.  plus, we'll need backup muscle.  rockford's a tough city. 
If you take a road trip, count me in.  Could be a fun trip.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 11:59:55 PM »

Quote from: Graham on July 29, 2008, 11:54:01 PM

Road trip to Rockford!

If you take a road trip, count me in.  Could be a fun trip.

Think they'd deliver?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 12:16:52 AM »

man, this is the worst news EVAR!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
me
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 01:57:47 AM »

Holy crap, I was just at Bennigan's on Sunday and had a Monte Cristo...ohh how I will miss the sugary, fatty, artery crusting goodness that is a Monte Cristo.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 03:02:34 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 29, 2008, 08:43:45 PM

I'll see if i can find the one in which he's wearing a girl's scout uniform and sporting a gold tiara.

You could just use your girl scout picture, and photoshop in his head.

Lunchmeat donut.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 03:19:47 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on July 30, 2008, 03:02:34 PM

Quote from: hepcat on July 29, 2008, 08:43:45 PM

You could just use your girl scout picture, and photoshop in his head.

Lunchmeat donut.

the incredibly muscular body with that head on it would be a dead giveaway, unfortunately.  now, if you send me a press release photo from your last American Girls promotional tour in which you played "America's Sweetheart", I could probably use that.

The King of Sandwiches

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 03:27:12 PM »

Eightball's just jealous that he doesn't look as good as hep in a Sailor Moon outfit.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 03:33:15 PM »

That body brought to you by Bennigan's.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 30, 2008, 03:33:15 PM

That body brought to you by Bennigan's.

icon_lol icon_lol
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 06:25:54 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 30, 2008, 03:19:47 PM

the incredibly muscular body with that head on it would be a dead giveaway, unfortunately. 

Remember, although you may have the avatar of Carrottop, you are not him.

You don't take steroids...

The King of Sandwiches

White trash lunchmeat donut.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2008, 06:38:55 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on July 30, 2008, 06:25:54 PM

Quote from: hepcat on July 30, 2008, 03:19:47 PM

the incredibly muscular body with that head on it would be a dead giveaway, unfortunately. 

Remember, although you may have the avatar of Carrottop, you are not him.

You don't take steroids...

and remember, just because you have them in your name doesn't mean you have them in real life.

Tongue

The King of Sandwiches

"The Sandwich Girly Men Cannot Handle"

by the way, i'm fascinated by race entering the description of a sandwich.   icon_lol

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2008, 06:46:13 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 30, 2008, 06:38:55 PM

by the way, i'm fascinated by race entering the description of a sandwich.   icon_lol

"White trash" is not a race, it is a way of life that transcends race.  The antithesis to the fabulous PeteRock way of life, if you will. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2008, 06:59:17 PM »

Two things:

1) obviously, for those who may think otherwise, the protestations flying back and forth are purely tongue in cheek (at least on my part as i don't know how traumatized both eightball and YK have become by this most divine of sandwiches).

2) "white trash" is most assuredly race related, my friend!  while you yourself may not be trash (and believe me, i've got reams and reams of documentation from your nearby Aveda wholesaler that muddies the waters on that assumption...i've told you countless times: shampoo, conditioner, fixer...why you insist on reversing the order is beyond me), you are definitely white...almost a chalk white...you actually reflect light on a level that makes you visible from space...i honestly don't know how you maintain that level of white.   casper the friendly ghost (who, if you think about it, is actually a dead baby...how much more grim can a children's show get??) looks like george hamilton (or "George Hamil-Tan" for those in his circle of friends...of which I consider myself a member of...or at least a peripheral member of...well, more like someone who watches them from a van with tinted windows whenever they're in town) when compared to you.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 07:03:29 PM by hepcat » Logged

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2008, 07:17:16 PM »

Bennigans, and the Steak & Ale chain are completely liquidating (Chapter 7 bankruptcy). Was reading some news wire reports about it yesterday. Apparently all going down so fast that a lot of employees came to work and *boom* to closed doors:
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=6293681

I used to be crazy about Bennigans but the Monte Cristo notwithstanding, it became pretty hard to distinguish it from Friday's, Ruby Tuesday, Applebee's etc. etc. I imagine some of their debt was due to all the similar competition, and I'm sure with gas prices being as they are, fewer people are going out for their Monte Cristo fix.  paranoid

I did in fact have the Monte Cristo the last time I was there, a few months ago. It's great, but I never would recommend it for lunch on a work day. I felt like a tub of lard the entire rest of the day.  icon_razz In the future, you can have a similar effect on your afternoon energy level by eating half a jar of Crisco, but it won't taste anywhere near as good.  icon_lol

I always thought the restaurant with "flair" that Jennifer Aniston worked at in the movie "Office Space" was a faux-Bennigans, but friends of mine sometimes argued it was actually Ruby Tuesday or TGI Friday. I guess assuming someone doesn't take over the chain, it'll be the only reminder it ever existed.  tear
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 07:23:08 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2008, 07:19:58 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 30, 2008, 07:17:16 PM

I did in fact have the Monte Cristo the last time I was there, a few months ago. It's great, but I never would recommend it for lunch on a work day. I felt like a tub of lard the entire rest of the day.  icon_razz

One just doesn't rush into a Monte Cristo, my friend!  One has to plan.  You have to set aside an entire day for the Cristo.  You have to whiteboard your approach, designating whether or not to consume the accompanying pickle, whether or not to use ketchup on the fries, and how much jam to apply to each section of the actual sandwich.  I've had to bring in consultants to help me eat this sandwich.  Allotting this magnificent bastard only one meal is a mistake many a rookie has come to regret.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: