http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 09:45:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the McRib is back!  (Read 11253 times)
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2010, 06:08:46 AM »

Quarterp Pounders use real onions like that, although they come pre-cut. Everything else uses the dehydrated onions.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2010, 07:10:53 AM »

Haven't read the whole thread, but McRib's have always disgusted me.  So fake and processed
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 22, 2010, 08:51:59 PM »

http://tinyurl.com/MotherF-er!!!!!

SFW
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2010, 02:52:32 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 19, 2010, 07:10:53 AM

Haven't read the whole thread, but McRib's have always disgusted me.  So fake and processed
Most people who say they hate something in fact really want one. So we understand.  drool

Personally, imho it tastes fine, but I just don't need that much freakin' sauce.  icon_razz

More importantly, being a McRib fan can make you a millionaire!
http://www.mediaite.com/online/is-there-anything-it-cant-do-mcrib-makes-man-a-millionaire/
Well, the McDonalds McRib has finally done something worthy of its bizarre, cultish adoration; it made a man a millionaire. Yep, thanks to a craving for the beloved sandwich that’s, for some reason, treated like McDonalds’ version of the Disney Vault, an unemployed man walked away with all the prize money for this year’s Monopoly contest.

Wisconsin’s Jonathan Kehoe, who demeanor and dress in the video below makes me imagine if Doug Benson played Ed Norton on The Honeymooners (I’m allowed to joke him a little, he’s rich now), was taking care of his godson when he decided to get the mythical meal. The rest, as they say, is history.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2011, 02:58:23 PM »

It's the sandwich and the thread that never dies! (Returning in November 2011):  icon_smile

The McRib makes a McComeback
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/story/2011-10-24/mcdonalds-mcrib-sandwich/50888872/1
It's usually up to the local franchise to decide if or when to sell the McRib. (Except in Germany, the only place where it's available year-round, McDonald's says.) But last November, for the first time in 16 years, McDonald's made the McRib available at all U.S. restaurants for about three weeks.

It was a smash, and while McDonald's declined to provide specific sales numbers, it was enough to convince the world's largest burger chain to give it another run.

If the McRib is really so popular, why not just offer it all the time? McDonald's has found that distance [absence?-bj] makes the heart grow fonder, and the barbecue taste that much sweeter.

"Bringing it back every so often adds to the excitement," said Marta Fearon, McDonald's U.S. marketing director.

Keeping true to form, Fearon said it is not known if McRib will be back next year.

"It's too early to speculate," she said.
My suspicion is there's something more expensive about making it, so maybe that would be why it makes more sense to only offer it occasionally.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2011, 03:09:59 PM »

It's been back in my area since last week. Already had two. So fake and precessed, yet SOOOO good.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2011, 03:20:56 PM »

This thread got me to try one the last time they were in circulation.  While I'll never eat another, I can at least go to the grave content that I at least experienced one. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2011, 03:55:20 PM »

McShit!   I'm having a McCoronary!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2011, 04:44:38 PM »

The only place you can get a McRib year round is Germany? How odd.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2011, 04:59:20 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 24, 2011, 04:44:38 PM

The only place you can get a McRib year round is Germany? How odd.
Interesting, huh? If someone here is living in Germany, maybe they can do a road trip and give us a report. Maybe they make it "better."  icon_smile

Yeah, I actually like talking about the McRib more than eating it.  icon_razz Actually, I don't think it's that bad. But around here (Va.) they seem determined to douse it with as much of that sauce as possible. Usually when I've had tasty pork BBQ somewhere (or good baby back ribs), it's something that's smoked for hours and either falls off the bone or is pretty moist on the sandwich, no sauce required.

I'll grant that a McRib is probably not smoked for hours or marinated, but if they'd just put the sauce on the side, I might still actually like it.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2011, 05:12:13 PM »

But more likely, after tasting the pork by itself, you'd douse it with as much sauce as possible.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 24, 2011, 05:17:13 PM »

Quote from: heloder on October 24, 2011, 05:12:13 PM

But more likely, after tasting the pork by itself, you'd douse it with as much sauce as possible.
That's what she said! ... oh wait, that doesn't make any sense. Never mind.  icon_razz

No really, the last time I tried one, I kind of wiped the sauce off the McRib (I think I used a handful of fries as a "spatula"), and it tasted better to me. I'll admit the bare McRib meat looks vaguely like a face hugger in Aliens, but it did taste better to me sans sauce.  drool

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2011, 05:55:16 PM »

Don't you know the reason that it is only sold for a short time each year is the cost of installing all of those smokers and letting the pork cook for several hours?

Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2011, 04:03:49 AM »

*Sigh* no McRib in my neck of the woods. They don't even use real bacon (pork) in Carl's Jr's Western Bacon burgers. crybaby
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2011, 04:32:14 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 24, 2011, 05:55:16 PM

Don't you know the reason that it is only sold for a short time each year is the cost of installing all of those smokers and letting the pork cook for several hours?

I thought it was because it had to rot all year to taste like that when they sell it.  So much gristle too
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2011, 01:11:59 PM »

A friend of mine posted a picture on Facebook of McDonalds meal after some long stretch of time and it had not grown any mold. My thought was, "isn't that a good thing?"

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2011, 03:09:06 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 24, 2011, 05:55:16 PM

icon_lol

I have this iPhone/Touch app that lists nutritional values for pretty much all fast food and casual restaurants. I'm more concerned about sodium these days. I think I'm considered borderline hypertension and my mom has had blood pressure issues.

The Big Mac and Filet-O-Fish aren't nutritious by any stretch of the imagine but they're actually among the "least damaging" of McD's offerings. I stopped eating the Angus burger because the sodium is ridiculous (1700mg). By comparison the fish is about 640mg and Big Mac and most of the chicken sandwiches have well over 1,000mg. Of course, the fries are soaked in salt so maybe I shouldn't worry about it.  icon_smile

Anyway, I try not to eat fried fast food more than once-twice a week now. I figure that reduces the damage and allows me to at least still feel like fast food is a treat rather than my daily sustenance. At times in my newspaper reporter/editor career it did start to get like that.

I will check on McRib availability near my office later this week.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 03:16:12 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2011, 03:23:51 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 25, 2011, 03:09:06 PM

I will check on McRib availability near my office later this week.  icon_smile

Croudsourcing FTRib.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2011, 06:37:15 PM »

Just for you guys, I had a McRib for lunch today! (Virginia)

*iPod Touch still photos are lame, sorry.  icon_smile

I was surprised -- it tasted better than I remember it last year. Plus the McRib seemed, well, less gross than it looked last year. I think maybe they are "molding" them differently and perhaps they improved the sauce. The bun seems, well, sturdier, and stood up to the sauce better (didn't fall apart like the one I tried last year). I don't plan to eat one every day, but I was surprised how much I liked it.  drool

For some reason though, the place mat image doesn't look as appealing (or mortifying?) as the one from last year imho.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 06:39:28 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2011, 06:43:15 PM »

Did you "Turn it and learn it!" for the Nutritional Information?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2011, 12:15:58 AM »

VICTORY!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2011, 03:50:59 AM »

I can't see anything in that photo besides two delicious bottles of Yuengling. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2011, 04:03:45 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 01, 2011, 03:50:59 AM

yep, it's slowly making it's way westward.  Ohio just got it at the beginning of the month.

Because I can,
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2011, 05:27:03 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 01, 2011, 04:03:45 AM

yep, it's slowly making it's way westward.  Ohio just got it at the beginning of the month.

The last time I was in Ohio a bartender told me they "don't carry those Japoneez imports."   retard

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2011, 03:09:46 PM »

Not to hijack the thread, but I am soooo happy about this. I think I have already bought 5 cases of the Lager and a case of the light Lager. It's best to go with the cans over bottles, it seems to have more flavor that way.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2011, 03:28:56 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on November 01, 2011, 03:09:46 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but I am soooo happy about this. I think I have already bought 5 cases of the Lager and a case of the light Lager. It's best to go with the cans over bottles, it seems to have more flavor that way.

I didn't think it would be that big of a deal, but when Y-Day hit on October 3rd every bar around here had big signs out advertising bottles for a buck.  most carryouts have signs saying 'It's finally here' in their windows still.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2011, 08:23:05 PM »

Not sure if this has been posted, but the McRib is not good for you:

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2011/11/01/mcrib-sandwiches-contain-same-ingredient-as-yoga-mats-shoe-soles/?tsp=1

These components are in small enough quantities to be innocuous. But it’s still a little disconcerting to know that, for example, azodicarbonamide, a flour-bleaching agent that is most commonly used in the manufacture of foamed plastics like in gym mats and the soles of shoes, is found in the McRib bun. The compound is banned in Europe and Australia as a food additive. (England’s Health and Safety Executive classified it as a “respiratory sensitizer” that potentially contributes to asthma through occupational exposure.) The U.S. limits azodicarbonamide to 45 parts per million in commercial flour products, based on analysis of lab testing.
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 01, 2011, 09:18:53 PM »

I had one last year for the first time and wasn't impressed. And yet, I feel compelled to try another...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 01, 2011, 10:35:13 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 31, 2011, 06:43:15 PM

Did you "Turn it and learn it!" for the Nutritional Information?
Man, I would've but it was some sort of weird, generic, elongated box - kind of reminded me of a coffin  We put the fun in funeral. I don't think it even had nutrition label or fun captioning on it.  icon_frown icon_razz'

According to my handy iPod Touch Food app, the McRib provides:
Calories: 500 (not too bad)
Fat: 90g (138% of your daily RDA! icon_eek)
Calories from fat: 24G
Saturated Fat: 20G (100% RDA)
Trans Fat: 0 (this is why restaurants will tout some 2,000 calorie burrito as "NO TRANS FATS!"  icon_razz
Cholesterol: 70mg (23% RDA)
Sodium: 980 mg (41% RDA - bad, not spectacularly so compared to most McD's larger sandwiches)
Carbohydrates: 44g (15% RDA)
Dietary Fiber: 3G (12%, I can see it now, "McRib! 0 transfat and high in fiber!" smirk)
Sugars: 11g
Protein: 22G (44% RDA)
Vitamin A: 2mg
Vitamin C: 2mg
Calcium: 15mg
Iron: 20mg
Anyway, it's pretty ghastly on the fat. But like anything, it's fine as a once a week treat. I eat at McD's maybe twice a week for lunch now, and that's about it. In my newspaper reporter/editor days, I practically lived there. And I think my gut is paying the price for all those years now.  drool

And I may have shared my sad fast food memories of Army bases in Korea 1979-1983 with nothing on base like the fast food back home. It seemed like every summer when we visited Virginia, I'd just eat fast food morning, day and night and I loved it. I almost cried more at the thought of leaving fast food than leaving my college age brother and my old friends each summer.  icon_lol

And I think my often unpleasant 2nd year of college, my one consistent joy was biking from our campus apartment to the McDonald's and bringing a Big Mac and fries back to eat with a can of Coke, usually on Friday. Hey we had no Internet back then.  icon_razz My brief weekly respite from contract dining and my own inept attempts at cooking.  drool I think that's why i try to enjoy a Big Mac once a week, just to remember that feeling.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 10:46:18 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 02, 2011, 03:21:06 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 01, 2011, 08:23:05 PM

STOP THE PRESSES!

You know I saw the picture when went through the drive thru for breakfast this morning and I have to say the thing that is drawing me to try a McRib (don't think I've had one) is the onions and pickles. They just look so tasty for some reason.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:23:11 PM by Teggy » Logged

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 02, 2011, 03:38:58 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 02, 2011, 03:21:06 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 01, 2011, 08:23:05 PM

STOP THE PRESSES!

You know I saw the picture when went through the drive thru for breakfast this morning and I have to say the thing that is drawing me to try a McRib (don't think I've had one) is the onions and pickles. They just look so tasty for some reason.

I had one for the first time last year and was fairly disgusted.  Yet the goddamn forum effect may overcome me again.  Damn you all. 

Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 02, 2011, 04:28:26 PM »

In response to this thread, I went to a local rib joint and had a nice half rack of babybacks, and some BBQ shrimp.  Enjoy your McRibs.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 02, 2011, 04:51:26 PM »

I AM ABOUT TO EAT A MCRIB IF YOU DONT HEAR FROM ME IN 30 MINUTES CALL AMBER LAMPS

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2011, 05:04:56 PM »

Be sure to order it medium rare!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2011, 05:06:13 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on November 02, 2011, 04:28:26 PM

In response to this thread, I went to a local rib joint and had a nice half rack of babybacks, and some BBQ shrimp.  Enjoy your McRibs.

You know, I seem to remember seeing Taco Bell advertising shrimp awhile back....

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2011, 05:08:14 PM »

I survived. I have to say I was hoping to be wowed a little more. I think I would have preferred McNuggets. The pickles were quite good, however.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 02, 2011, 05:09:21 PM »

Ewwww you ate one.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 02, 2011, 05:12:19 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 02, 2011, 05:06:13 PM

Quote from: Covenant on November 02, 2011, 04:28:26 PM

You know, I seem to remember seeing Taco Bell advertising shrimp awhile back....

Why would you go all the way across the street to a Taco Bell when you can just get a shrimp burger at McDonald's?

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 02, 2011, 05:12:29 PM »

That's funny, because now it's eating me!

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 03, 2011, 04:42:54 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 01, 2011, 10:35:13 PM

According to my handy iPod Touch Food app, the McRib provides:
Calories: 500 (not too bad)
Fat: 90g (138% of your daily RDA! icon_eek)
Calories from fat: 24G
Saturated Fat: 20G (100% RDA)
Trans Fat: 0 (this is why restaurants will tout some 2,000 calorie burrito as "NO TRANS FATS!"  icon_razz
Cholesterol: 70mg (23% RDA)
Sodium: 980 mg (41% RDA - bad, not spectacularly so compared to most McD's larger sandwiches)
Carbohydrates: 44g (15% RDA)
Dietary Fiber: 3G (12%, I can see it now, "McRib! 0 transfat and high in fiber!" smirk)
Sugars: 11g
Protein: 22G (44% RDA)
Vitamin A: 2mg
Vitamin C: 2mg
Calcium: 15mg
Iron: 20mg
Anyway, it's pretty ghastly on the fat.

Your iPod touch food app is wrong.  If a McRib had 90g of fat, 44g of carbs, and 22g of protein, the sandwich would have 1074 calories in it.  Did you even think to stop and do the math (or hell, check McDonald's own website) before posting such blatantly wrong information?  Plus, 24G calories from fat?

Anyway, a McRib has 26 grams of fat, not 90.  This leads to 234 calories coming from fat (rounded up to 240 by McDonald's).  It also has 10 grams of saturated fat, not 24.  At least the carbs and protein counts were accurate.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 04:45:46 AM by pr0ner » Logged

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: