http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 04:10:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The iPhone 4S Thread  (Read 5787 times)
hispanicgamer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 15, 2011, 03:01:24 AM »

Quote from: hispanicgamer on October 14, 2011, 10:58:06 PM

Quote from: Devil on October 14, 2011, 09:22:51 PM

AT&T fucked it up.

Wife's phone ordered through Apple on 10/7...At my house at 10:30 this morning.

My phone ordered at AT&T store on 10/7...Not even shipped and no clue when it will.

Gonna go cancel and grab one at the store (which I hear they are actually easy to get this year).

Lesson learned.

I'm gonna try this too! F-ing AT&T!
icon_lol
Called AT&T after 18 minute wait and told that I couldn't cancel my order. I sucked it up and politely thanked the rep who thanked me back because he's the guy who gets to hear all of our complaints. Had a nice evening with my Sister and her family and just got home. Email from AT&T: my iPhone is on its way and should be here tomorrow morning. Karma I hope!

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2011, 04:47:57 AM »

Washington Post's tech blogger has a fun little video of her demonstrating Siri a bit:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/when-hayley-met-siri/2011/10/14/gIQAveXMkL_video.html
*It works well. I imagine she hasn't been using it long (it's a review unit probably), so I imagine it might be a little bit snappier in responding once you've used it for a little while. Still impressive though it's amusing when she asks it "What is The Washington Post." Print media just isn't that well known anymore.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2011, 05:15:22 AM »

Still no update on my shipping status from AT&T. They suck beyond words

However.....

Wife picked me up from my business trip and had a brand new White 64gig Iphone 4S in my seat. Apparently she went to the Apple Store before coming to pick me up and they had plenty in stock still. She went through the whole painful process with AT&T (who of course refuse to cancel the order they can't fulfill) and Apple did everything they could to try and make it work.

In the end - she added another line to our account and got me the new iphone. Supposedly - we can return the other phone once we receive it and get my number transferred over to it.

An expensive solution (and not something I would have done) but I know her heart was in the right place and so I can't fault her.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 15, 2011, 06:06:26 AM »

I actually had no problem at all with AT&T. Phones were delivered around 4pm. Got them home and they activated in a couple of minutes.

We were trying to find little Siri tricks. My wife said "I'm drunk" and it gave her cab companies. I will let you discover the result of saying "I'm horny" on your own biggrin

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2011, 06:11:14 AM »

Quote from: DarkEL on October 15, 2011, 05:15:22 AM

However.....

Wife picked me up from my business trip and had a brand new White 64gig Iphone 4S in my seat. Apparently she went to the Apple Store before coming to pick me up and they had plenty in stock still. She went through the whole painful process with AT&T (who of course refuse to cancel the order they can't fulfill) and Apple did everything they could to try and make it work.

In the end - she added another line to our account and got me the new iphone. Supposedly - we can return the other phone once we receive it and get my number transferred over to it.

An expensive solution (and not something I would have done) but I know her heart was in the right place and so I can't fault her.

That's love, man. smile

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2011, 06:47:12 AM »

Quote from: Purge on October 15, 2011, 06:11:14 AM

Quote from: DarkEL on October 15, 2011, 05:15:22 AM

However.....

That's love, man. smile

or guilt... I was gone for a week 
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2011, 10:28:24 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 15, 2011, 06:06:26 AM

I actually had no problem at all with AT&T. Phones were delivered around 4pm. Got them home and they activated in a couple of minutes.

We were trying to find little Siri tricks. My wife said "I'm drunk" and it gave her cab companies. I will let you discover the result of saying "I'm horny" on your own biggrin

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2011, 11:26:44 AM »

Is this the typical Apple launch where everyone is sold out on the first day? I'm considering switching from T-mobile to Sprint.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2011, 03:05:38 PM »

Apple Insider did a more thorough test run with Siri:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/14/first_look_using_iphone_4s_with_siri_voice_assistant.html

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2011, 04:14:28 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on October 15, 2011, 11:26:44 AM

Is this the typical Apple launch where everyone is sold out on the first day? I'm considering switching from T-mobile to Sprint.

It's a typical Apple launch where zillions were sold and records were broken.

But it's not typical in that there's still plenty of stock (from what I've seen, anyway).
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2011, 08:43:56 PM »

My iPhone is here. Weird how it was backordered to released in one day. icon_confused

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2011, 08:54:23 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on October 15, 2011, 04:14:28 PM

But it's not typical in that there's still plenty of stock (from what I've seen, anyway).

I hit several stores today looking for one. One guy laughed. Another offered to put me on a list, I would have been #52. Blech.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2011, 08:56:39 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on October 15, 2011, 08:54:23 PM

I hit several stores today looking for one. One guy laughed. Another offered to put me on a list, I would have been #52. Blech.

Apple store or ATT store?

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2011, 09:35:09 PM »

Yeah, tell Siri you love her...

NiM$
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2011, 10:32:25 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 15, 2011, 08:56:39 PM

Quote from: Crusis on October 15, 2011, 08:54:23 PM

Apple store or ATT store?

If this was an Apple store you could probably get the guy fired if they laughed at you.  AT&T store they'd probably get a raise.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2011, 04:18:55 AM »

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2011, 12:42:06 PM »

Sigh. I tried to update to 5.0 again and this time it wiped my iPod Touch (i.e, crashed while trying to restore/backup). I've backed it up and all, just hoping I can restore it successfully. Is this update ever gonna work properly?  disgust

And... my efforts to even restore to default so far are failing. Thanks, Apple!  icon_frown

NOTE: Looks like rebooting my PC, disabling anti-virus and unplugging all my other USB devices (or some combination thereof) finally will get it to work. I'm holding my breath while it tries to restore the backup...  paranoid
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 01:14:21 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2011, 02:44:56 PM »

Ah, I can stop ranting.  icon_smile This was my "fix it" bible page for restoring:

iOS: Resolving update and restore alert messages
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

I'm going with the iCloud backup for a bit. I didn't notice much speed difference per se, but at least there's less hard drive action.

I've got a co-worker in Russia whom I'm texting with to try some of the notification stuff. He hopes to get a 4S in December.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 02:58:55 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »

Quote from: hispanicgamer on October 14, 2011, 03:05:01 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 14, 2011, 02:51:16 PM

We need confirmation of these.  icon_lol
Confirmed except Siri did try to tell me a joke.

Also ordered an Otterbox Commuter case for my iPhone. I loved my commuter on my iPhone 3GS and know this case will protect my new toy.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 03:44:02 PM by hispanicgamer » Logged

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2011, 04:30:20 PM »

I had a nightmare that I ordered my phone from Best Buy and got there 5 minutes after they closed...

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2011, 04:50:12 PM »

So GameStop is paying cash for old cellphones.  I got 150 selling my 16 gb 3GS and 4gb iPhone 2

NiM$
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2011, 08:51:48 PM »

There are a bunch of trade in offers - I should be getting around $350 for my 2 3GSs via AT&T.

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: October 17, 2011, 05:04:08 AM »

Since I have a crazy-expensive plan, I come due for a new phone like every 9 months. Gazelle is offering me $180 for my iPhone 4. It is so hard not to jump to the 4S right now....

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 17, 2011, 02:56:28 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 16, 2011, 12:42:06 PM

Sigh. I tried to update to 5.0 again and this time it wiped my iPod Touch (i.e, crashed while trying to restore/backup). I've backed it up and all, just hoping I can restore it successfully. Is this update ever gonna work properly?  disgust

And... my efforts to even restore to default so far are failing. Thanks, Apple!  icon_frown

NOTE: Looks like rebooting my PC, disabling anti-virus and unplugging all my other USB devices (or some combination thereof) finally will get it to work. I'm holding my breath while it tries to restore the backup...  paranoid

So odd that this has been so problematic. I've updated 3 phones (2 on PC, 1 MAC) and an iPad and except for one small hiccup on one due to no Interet available for a bit the updates were smooth.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 17, 2011, 02:58:34 PM »

Rather than research trade-in offers or wipe it and use it as a backup / alternate device, I just dropped my 3G in my water glass last night.  Problem solved.  retard

A good thing they're dropping my 4S off at the local UPS store this afternoon for me to pick it up.  And at least I was wise enough to perform a sync (which hopefully performed a backup) this weekend.  

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 17, 2011, 03:25:04 PM »

Discovering all the little things Siri will do is cool. I was wondering when my next haircut appointment was so I said something like "when is my next haircut" and it found it in my calendar.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 17, 2011, 05:19:50 PM »

They sold 4 million the first weekend, yowza  icon_eek

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/17/iphone-4s-sales-top-4-million-as-25-million-users-move-to-ios-5/
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 17, 2011, 05:32:09 PM »

fwiw, I wasn't saying I had problems regularly with iPod Touch updates. I had problems with this one (5.0), and one major update a long while back (I think it's the one that added the pseudo multi-tasking) that required jumping through some hoops to restore things. Otherwise, I never had a problem.

Since it has to wipe your device in order to put these major updates in place, it seems to be restoration on a Windows PC where iTunes sometimes hiccups unless you do some basic things. It would be nice to know whether I need to always reboot after downloading a major iOS update (before applying it), or if it's the rebooting after the error message when restoring, that does the trick.

It's still a lot more reliable/less painful than experiences I've had with my Palm/Visor PDAs or with a Creative Zen player i used a few years back. Or put it this way - when something is reliable 99% of the time and suddenly is spouting error messages, it just jumps out more at you then when something is regularly screwed up and you're used to seeing error messages all the time. I guess I'm spoiled.  icon_smile

I still have my Siri app on my iPod Touch btw. It even still seems to work (our work WiFi is screwed up so I can't test it atm), which is puzzling. I thought they'd removed the Siri app from the store and it would presumably get wiped off of non iPhone 4S devices when synched.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 05:36:38 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2011, 01:03:41 AM »

I finally got my phone. Woot!  Siri is pretty cool, but will take some getting used to to get the most usage out of it.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2011, 03:43:55 AM »

It's taking some getting used to the percentage battery indicator.  I freak out as I watch it drop 1% at a time. 

Restore procedure was pretty painless, got all my contacts, synced my music, had all my notes, even gave me all the open browser windows I'd had on the old phone.  Whew!

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2011, 03:55:40 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 18, 2011, 03:43:55 AM

It's taking some getting used to the percentage battery indicator.  I freak out as I watch it drop 1% at a time. 

Uhh... that's been there a while, yo.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 18, 2011, 04:18:46 AM »

Quote from: gellar on October 18, 2011, 03:55:40 AM

You can turn it on/off, it's in Settings > General > Usage. 
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2011, 04:28:18 AM »

Quote from: gellar on October 18, 2011, 03:55:40 AM

It was never a part of the 3G capabilities.  Only 3GS and above.  So I've never had it before now.

Time will tell if I get used to it or turn it off from battery panic.  I like the increased granularity, but not if it's going to cause me anxiety.

It was actually defaulted to off, and I had to turn it on to see it because I wanted to try it out.

hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2011, 04:28:52 AM »

So how many of you guys like the Newsstand thingy?

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2011, 09:43:49 AM »

Quote from: hispanicgamer on October 18, 2011, 04:28:52 AM

I dropped it into the Utlities and forgot about it

NiM$
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2011, 11:42:55 AM »

I want to like it. I downloaded the New York Times into it and find myself browsing every once in awhile. But the other magazines/newspapers you have to pay for, and I don't know if I want to do that. I think I would use it more if you could get one article per month from the other magazines, with the option to buy the full magazine or a subscription. But as it is now I'm not that interested.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2011, 02:26:13 PM »

I really like Newsstand. I have a digital subscription to the New York Times, and on my iPad the Wired and Project apps are already Newsstand-aware. As soon as the Economist hooks into Newsstand, I'll buy a digital subscription to that, too.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2011, 02:32:02 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 18, 2011, 09:43:49 AM

I tried to put it ino a folder an I can't. How did you get it to go?
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2011, 02:50:52 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 18, 2011, 02:32:02 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 18, 2011, 09:43:49 AM

I tried to put it ino a folder an I can't. How did you get it to go?
I googled the same question and found out that you really can't unless you can quickly drop into a folder that is simulataneouly being made. But then there are issues with doing that from what I read. Maybe Soul will have some insite. I just think it's sad that Apple doesn't allow me to remove since I won't be using it. Maybe in the next update?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2011, 02:54:21 PM »

I just exiled Newstand to the very last page of icons.

it sits there, all by itself.

I think I hear it crying at night.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: