http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 01:27:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Internet has ruined movies  (Read 842 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2011, 09:12:34 PM »

I say this as somewhat of an exaggeration, but I was thinking about how long it's been since I've been to a movie and been surprised. It's gotten so that between commercials, online trailers, sneak peeks, forum posts, social media and what have you, there's just no mystery to going to a movie anymore. I think 2000 was basically the point at which everything must have changed, because I can remember two movies from 1999 ("The Sixth Sense" and "The Matrix") where I went in not knowing much and was genuinely surprised, and nothing after that.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Internet, but remember when you had to go to the theater to see the new trailer, and how fun that was? Or when you had to read Starlog or Fangoria or something to get a tiny glimpse of the upcoming Star Wars movie? When you finally got to see it, you really didn't know much at all. I definitely miss that feeling of uncertainty and surprise, and beyond plugging your eyes and ears, you just can't get that anymore.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 09:54:38 PM »

The "Falling Skies" thread is a counterexample. The criticism there was so loud and universal that I was surprised when the show didn't completely suck. I'm actually looking forward to the next installment.

OK, it's not a move. But still.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 09:55:22 PM »

Simple solution:

Don't go to the fansites, et al.

I hit the trailer sites, but I avoid everything else.  Thus, I don't see anything different than what's in the theater or on TV. 
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 10:15:32 PM »

In principle, I stay away from threads here discussing any films or tv series I've yet to watch. For example, I was tempted to read thru the 'Game Of Thrones' HBO series thread.. but Heeelllll Noooooo! I shall be strong!!  icon_cool
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 10:31:29 PM »

You can still do it if you want.  I managed to avoid having Inception spoiled for me even though I didn't see it until it was available on Netflix.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 06:42:53 AM »

I agree. There's too many spoilers everywhere. Getting harder to avoid anything. Though I admit, I never saw the Star Trek trailer until a week before I knew I was going to see it. That was quite an accomplishment.
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 01:19:26 PM »

At one point I was a member of a Dexter fan page in Facebook. In a wall post they openly spoiled the ending of season 4 (I was still watching season 3 and knew nothing about it). They wrote the post as if everyone was aware of the ending already, merely asking for opinions about it.

I criticized this on my own wall to my friends, but a few just answered that it was my own mistake for joining such a fan page on Facebook and that I should be more careful in the future. Another friend I e-mail with even agreed with this too. But as I see it, at least the fan page could have come with a warning that spoilers might occur in the wall posts, or the posts themselves could have had some sort of spoiler warning.

Under all circumstances I left the fan page and have never joined anything of the like since.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 01:27:26 PM »

Quote from: Chordian on July 07, 2011, 01:19:26 PM

At one point I was a member of a Dexter fan page in Facebook. In a wall post they openly spoiled the ending of season 4 (I was still watching season 3 and knew nothing about it). They wrote the post as if everyone was aware of the ending already, merely asking for opinions about it.

I criticized this on my own wall to my friends, but a few just answered that it was my own mistake for joining such a fan page on Facebook and that I should be more careful in the future. Another friend I e-mail with even agreed with this too. But as I see it, at least the fan page could have come with a warning that spoilers might occur in the wall posts, or the posts themselves could have had some sort of spoiler warning.

Under all circumstances I left the fan page and have never joined anything of the like since.

It was very hard not to hear that spoiler.  I have only gone through Season 2 and heard it before I'd even finished that.  And I have to say, it has taken the steam out of my enthusiasm, which is one of the reasons I haven't started Season 3 yet.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 02:56:15 PM »

It's gotten so that between commercials, online trailers, sneak peeks, forum posts, social media and what have you, there's just no mystery to going to a movie anymore.
On my week business trip to Seoul, Korea, recently, aside from checking work e-mail and my web e-mail accounts at the hotel business center, I did no web surfing at all for a week. It was pretty refreshing, actually.

Maybe it's not realistic to "unplug" like that all year. So maybe more realistically, don't hang out at entertainment news and movie news web sites like I do. icon_smile

Then everything will be a surprise, but without that "buzz," most studios are worried you wouldn't even know their big would be blockbuster was coming out at all.

I do know where you're coming from. When my older brother and I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark on a stopover flight in Hawaii in Summer 1981, I didn't know anything about the movie at all. I read it was about a "doctor," and the Washington Post film critic Gary Arnold had already annointed it the best movie of the summer, but I didn't read his review in any detail. We of course loved it and it was probably one of the most "pure" summer movie memories I have, along with The Empire Strikes Back the previous summer (I wasn't a huge Star Wars buff yet, but my college student brother insisted it was the first film I should see w/ him on my summer visit from Korea), and perhaps E.T. the following summer (my best friend and I saw it opening week).

By 1984 when Temple of Doom came out, I had read about 100 magazine articles about it and seen more photos and trailers about it than I could count. I still found it fun (my brother and I even hid in the theater so we could see the next show again), but I didn't have that same sense of discovery as in 1981. It's difficult to have that today unless you willfully ignore entertainment shows and sites, and change channels the moment trailers pop up on TV.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:00:34 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 03:19:09 PM »

I also remember watching the first Planet of the Apes movie a few decades ago. I knew nothing about the ending and was genuinely surprised. It was such a great feeling and to this day, I'm glad I had the opportunity to watch the movie and see this ending at just the right time (during the cold war I think it was).

But if you visit the IMDb entry for this movie today, you'll see the ending right there in the top left image. Tongue
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 03:22:19 PM »

Don't forget that sometimes they make trailers that purposefully mislead you, so when you do see the movie, it's all a complete shock.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 03:48:23 PM »

Quote from: Chordian on July 07, 2011, 03:19:09 PM

I also remember watching the first Planet of the Apes movie a few decades ago. I knew nothing about the ending and was genuinely surprised. It was such a great feeling and to this day, I'm glad I had the opportunity to watch the movie and see this ending at just the right time (during the cold war I think it was).

But if you visit the IMDb entry for this movie today, you'll see the ending right there in the top left image. Tongue

Yeah, that's the cover of the damn DVD!  Ridiculous.  DVD/Blu Ray menus often give away key plot points, too.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 03:49:56 PM »

Internet commentary on movies is what bugs me about the world of movies today.  I can't say it has ruined it for me, as I can go to any movie I have an interest in and come out having enjoyed it.  That includes Spider Man 3, Transformers 2, Indiana Jones 4, and whatever other movies everyone loves to hate.  Movies have always been about going to a place for 2 or 3 hours and just enjoying the "magic."  I don't care about plot holes.  I don't care if a human can't survive a nuclear blast in a fridge.  I'm just there to enjoy myself and I do.

As for spoilers, I have never once had a movie spoiled for me, but that is probably because I don't really read too much about a movie before it comes out.  I might pop into movie threads here, but I just kind of skim the content.  When I go to the movie, it is all pretty fresh, just like it was when I was a kid.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 03:52:08 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 07, 2011, 01:27:26 PM

Quote from: Chordian on July 07, 2011, 01:19:26 PM

It was very hard not to hear that spoiler.  I have only gone through Season 2 and heard it before I'd even finished that.  And I have to say, it has taken the steam out of my enthusiasm, which is one of the reasons I haven't started Season 3 yet.

I've got four eps. to go through Season 1. Shhhh. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 03:53:03 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 07, 2011, 03:48:23 PM

Quote from: Chordian on July 07, 2011, 03:19:09 PM

Yeah, that's the cover of the damn DVD!  Ridiculous.  DVD/Blu Ray menus often give away key plot points, too.

I hate DVD intros that show key scenes as rolling footage behind the menu. finger

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 04:35:05 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 07, 2011, 03:53:03 PM

I hate DVD intros that show key scenes as rolling footage behind the menu. finger

A lot of TV shows I have bought lately do this, Dexter included. It's pretty annoying.

Another thing I didn't like was the "Space:1999"-style "This Episode!" quick review part in the intro sequence of the newer Battlestar Galactica show. Whenever I started a new episode and heard the sound cue leading up to it, I closed my eyes until it was over and the episode started properly. I didn't want to know that character X was going to be hit on the jaw by character Y or worse spoilers. It might catch more viewers on live television, but when I own the DVD I don't need that anymore.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 04:53:31 PM »

Quote from: Chordian on July 07, 2011, 04:35:05 PM

A lot of TV shows I have bought lately do this, Dexter included. It's pretty annoying.

Another thing I didn't like was the "Space:1999"-style "This Episode!" quick review part in the intro sequence of the newer Battlestar Galactica show. Whenever I started a new episode and heard the sound cue leading up to it, I closed my eyes until it was over and the episode started properly. I didn't want to know that character X was going to be hit on the jaw by character Y or worse spoilers. It might catch more viewers on live television, but when I own the DVD I don't need that anymore.
I just fastforward until after that, because I don't need the rehash either.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 07, 2011, 04:53:31 PM

Quote from: Chordian on July 07, 2011, 04:35:05 PM

I just fastforward until after that, because I don't need the rehash either.

Same.  I know one person who loved that part of the intro.  I don't really trust her taste anymore.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 08:33:50 PM »

The BSG rehash is helpful if you've been out of it for a week or more, since they tend to pick history that has bearing on the current episode. I've been watching them back-to-back so it is a little annoying.

The flashforward though? Whoever thought of that should be shot.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 08:39:42 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 07, 2011, 08:33:50 PM

The BSG rehash is helpful if you've been out of it for a week or more, since they tend to pick history that has bearing on the current episode. I've been watching them back-to-back so it is a little annoying.

evne the rehash can be a spoiler though.  If they show a character or event that hasn't been brought up lately, guess what, surprise!  Here it is.  I'm not dumb enough for it not to spoiler the episode for me.  I really wish they would have a separate channel for people who know how to follow a story. slywink
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 08:46:21 PM »

But then you couldn't set next to CeeKay or Hep, who both clearly have significant mental limitations.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 05:35:11 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 07, 2011, 08:39:42 PM

evne the rehash can be a spoiler though.  If they show a character or event that hasn't been brought up lately, guess what, surprise!  Here it is.  I'm not dumb enough for it not to spoiler the episode for me.  I really wish they would have a separate channel for people who know how to follow a story. slywink

Wait, wait, wait!  Are you complaining that a recap of something that previously happened on a series is spoiling your future watching of said series?  How is that a spoiler if it already happened?  I must be misreading things here.

ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 01:05:26 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 08, 2011, 05:35:11 AM

Wait, wait, wait!  Are you complaining that a recap of something that previously happened on a series is spoiling your future watching of said series?  How is that a spoiler if it already happened?  I must be misreading things here.

Duh, if you're watching the whole thing backwards...  Roll Eyes
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 01:32:22 PM »

If in the "Previously on..." they put in a character you haven't seen since last season, for example, hey, guess who's going to be making an appearance in tonight's episode?!

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 01:34:59 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 08, 2011, 01:32:22 PM

If in the "Previously on..." they put in a character you haven't seen since last season, for example, hey, guess who's going to be making an appearance in tonight's episode?!

Wow, you guys have some strict limitations on what you call a spoiler.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 01:47:56 PM »

The story/plot is only 1 of the reasons I go to movies - so it's hard for Internet trailers to completely spoil things. In fact for me I'd say editing, visual effects, sound production and performances by the actors outweighs the underlying story. I'm actually going to the theater more often now than I have in years - probably see 6-8 films this year.

Quote from: wonderpug on July 05, 2011, 10:31:29 PM

I managed to avoid having Inception spoiled for me even though I didn't see it until it was available on Netflix.

Inception is already on Netflix in the US!? eek Damn, we're definitely deprived here in Canuckistan! BTW you really should have seen it in the theater - the oustanding editing really made it worthy of a big screen experience.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2011, 01:54:31 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 08, 2011, 01:34:59 PM

Well, I didn't say that really bugs me.  I was just explaining how a recap can be a spoiler.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2011, 10:34:15 PM »

Sometimes the reveal of a new character or the return or another character is a surprise in the plot.  Strict-limitation-spoiler-me gets to react to the surprise the way the writers and actors intended.   : )
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2011, 10:50:39 PM »

Checkov's recap.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2011, 01:54:39 AM »

Am I the only one who likes spoilers?  While I don't look for specifics I generally try to find out the overall arc of something, especially for TV shows.  If something sounds like it was handled badly or that I would enjoy the ending I don't waste my time by watching it.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2011, 01:57:03 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 08, 2011, 01:47:56 PM

The story/plot is only 1 of the reasons I go to movies - so it's hard for Internet trailers to completely spoil things. In fact for me I'd say editing, visual effects, sound production and performances by the actors outweighs the underlying story. I'm actually going to the theater more often now than I have in years - probably see 6-8 films this year.

Quote from: wonderpug on July 05, 2011, 10:31:29 PM

I managed to avoid having Inception spoiled for me even though I didn't see it until it was available on Netflix.

Inception is already on Netflix in the US!? eek Damn, we're definitely deprived here in Canuckistan! BTW you really should have seen it in the theater - the oustanding editing really made it worthy of a big screen experience.

Just for clarification, Im pretty sure he meant Inception is available THROUGH Netflix and not ON Netflix.  They are not streaming Inception yet.  And I agree, Inception was definitely worth seeing on the big screen.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2011, 02:57:52 AM »

I'm used to people saying "it's on instant netflix" or "streaming" or "downloadable" or whatever, but yeah, I just meant I didn't see it until it was not just on DVD, but also past the one month Netflix moratorium.

And I would've loved to have seen it in the theaters but for some stupid reason they decided to match up the movie's release date with my baby's.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2011, 03:05:41 AM »

anyone with any sort of deductive reasoning can piece together a large enough part of what's going to happen in any given episode based on what they show on the previously.  If they just showed you snippets of the previous episode it would be fine, but they always dig out relevant bits from the whole series which gives you a rough outline of every major player and plot point that will be brought up.  It's tiring.

I'm not the sort that can turn my brain off and ignore what I'm seeing.  My mind see's the angry person seeking revenge that we haven't seen in 6 episodes in the 'previously' section and there go half the surprises of the episode.

Sometimes I wish I could just be a simpleton like the masses that apparently like their hands being held.

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 08, 2011, 10:50:39 PM

Checkov's recap.

This is exactly the problem for me.  I'd rather have no recap at all since there is no way to avoid this problem.  (nice reference btw)
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2011, 05:52:29 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 09, 2011, 03:05:41 AM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 08, 2011, 10:50:39 PM

Checkov's recap.

This is exactly the problem for me.  I'd rather have no recap at all since there is no way to avoid this problem.  (nice reference btw)

Thanks. biggrin

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2011, 12:34:59 PM »

Last time, on Dragon Ball Z...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2011, 02:19:15 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 09, 2011, 12:34:59 PM

Last time, on Dragon Ball Z...

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: