http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 02:47:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Incredibles is... well incredible! Duh!  (Read 3287 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2004, 12:31:51 AM »

Saw it tonight with my wife and 3 kids (8, 7 and 5).  All of us loved it.  The story does take a bit to get going but the movie as a whole is superb.  I think Pixar can do no wrong.  This movie is so technically amazing that I often lost track of the fact that I was viewing an animated movie.  It really doesn't do anything on screen justice to call it animated.  It's a whole different, beautiful beast.  Jaw dropping effects.

And... there was a preview for the Spongebob movie with a real-life cameo by none other than David Hasselhoff.  Rock on!
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 02:01:55 AM »

My 3 year old is heavily into superheroes and we were going to take him to see this today since it's his birthday.  Then we found out that the world premiere of "Polar Express" was also today at the theater near our house.  We decided to take him another time.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 02:13:18 AM »

My son and I were in line at the first show

My son was kind of bored the first hour but I loved it. Like mentioned before, there were a few times I forgot I was watching something animated film. Of course it might be that we are so use to seeing cgi in live action superhero movies that it bleeds over.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 03:50:34 AM »

Saw it on the DLP and loved it, beautiful and fun!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 03:53:24 AM »

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!

Took my wife and son to it this evening- WE LOVED IT!!!!!!

Easily in my top 10 of all time- yes, it was that good!

Oh, a little bit of trivia for you guys- Edna Mode, the costumer?  None other than Brad Bird, the director/ writer himself  unibrow

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 04:25:24 AM »

Just got back from seeing it with the family.

It was a great movie but the little one didn't seem as interested in it probably because the movie seemed a bit more aimed at an older audience.  

I also enjoyed it more than my wife did.

Still - lot's of great animation. Like the Waterfall scene - man that looked uncharacteristically real for a pixar film.

We didn't have a Spongebob trailer attached to ours - but we did have the SW Ep 3 trailer    biggrin
Grinfin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2004, 06:06:07 AM »

I thought it was okay but tended to drag in places. Nice looking stuff though. The SW3 trailer made want to go back and watch the original film. Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2004, 12:40:56 PM »

Saw it with my 4-year old son.  The movie was a bit long for him (just under 2 hours), and he was getting squirmy during the section where the family wasn't doing anything incredible (the way kids do when they're getting bored).  That only lasted about 5-10 minutes, however, and when the movie action picked up again, he was back into it, and loved it.

He walked out with me and couldn't stop talking about it ('I loved the part when..' talk).  Then he talked about which Superhero he would have liked to be..then which one had the same powers as my City of Heroes hero..and on and on.

I loved it.

I very rarely see movies in the theater, usually prefering the home theater setting, but really enjoyed this one, and just might be going back for a 2nd helping.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2004, 04:51:12 PM »

Saw it yesterday with my 7 and 8 yos. This is not a little kids movie. There's less of the Nemo-ish humor, with lots of action and a fairly decent dose of drama. Moreover, it is a little bit slow to get started for the younger set. We absolutely loved it, though, and I'd go back to see it again, which is something I almost never say about movies.

Am I the only one who think's Bob's boss looked like Bill Gates?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2004, 07:03:00 PM »

I was waiting for Bob to say "Do you want me to send you back to where you were, unemployed...in greenland!"

Fishbelly
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2004, 09:13:27 PM »

Great flick, but if you have kids under 10 they may be somewhat bored for the first half of the movie.  My youngest daughter was awful "squirmy" until the action picked up in the second half.  Now my oldest two daughters--as well as my wife and I--loved it from start to finish.  Good stuff.

I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

Woody Allen
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2004, 10:50:21 PM »

Yeah it's definitely skewed a bit older than Finding Nemo and Toy Story.  As a grownup I liked it more.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2004, 11:06:30 PM »

My 6 yr old declared it his favorite movie today.  I asked him to rate it on a scale of 1 to 10 and without hesitation he declared it to be a one hundred!

Mind you, this morning he also refused to go outside and play because they were showing Godzilla vs Space Godzilla on Encore....

My wife claims I am brainwashing him, but I am convinced it's genetic  :twisted:

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2004, 05:04:08 AM »

just got back from the theater...absolutely great movie!  it definitely has a different tone than anything Pixar has done in the past and targets an older audience, but they've done it perfectly yet again.  i'll continue to stand by my opinion that the geniuses at Pixar can do no wrong.

even if you're not a fan of animation or Pixar's earlier films, i still recommend going to see The Incredibles...you won't be disappointed Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2004, 07:38:21 PM »

Agreed on all accounts.  I think it's the best movie of the year, so far.

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2004, 02:10:43 AM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
Am I the only one who think's Bob's boss looked like Bill Gates?

Nope.  But I did think he was the spitting image of William H. Macy.

Loved the film.  I'm a little surprised at all the shock of over it skewing older.  Brad Bird's previous masterpiece, The Iron Giant, skewed that way, and both films garnered PG ratings.

* SPOILERS BELOW *

Some (typically) amazing carachter work from the geniuses at Pixar.  The look on Dash's face when he discovers he can run across water was brilliant.  As was the sequence with Elasti-Girl and the doors.  Gut-bustingly funny.

Also loved the many references to great films of the past.  The entire island was one giant tribute to the James Bond franchise.  Made me want to go pick up Evil Genius, actually.  And the homage to The Black Hole made my inner kid grin from ear-to-ear.

Pixar, once again, shows that they're the current king of the animated film, and one of the heaviest hitters in the entertainment industry right now.  Lasseter's focus on story first is commendable and a lesson I wish Disney, Dreamworks, and even live-action studios, would take to heart.  Make a good story with good characters and the rest is cake.

Not so sure about Cars, though.  The teaser trailer didn't get me excited at all.  Amused, yes.  Excited, no.  Could be Pixar's first misfire.  Looking forward to seeing the full trailer and getting a better grasp on what it's about.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2004, 02:34:30 AM »

It was freaking awesome.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2004, 03:18:35 AM »

Best. Movie. Ever. biggrin

I cannot help but bust into an ear to ear blinding grin when I think of ANY sequence in the movie. The Incredibles didn't just aim for perfection. It took perfection and kicked its ass out the door and said, "Step aside kid, this is how it's done."

All of the character work was magnificent. Even little Jack-Jack had his own personality, and considering the tremendous amount of heart and soul poured into each character from their "super" look to their "secret" look to the way they interacted with one another, I am frankly stunned they were able to pull it off. As Crayola pointed out, when Dash realizes what he's doing while running on water, the look of sheer exhileration brought tears to my eyes. That was the purest expression of joy I think I've ever seen in a movie that wasn't live-action.

Regarding the action itself, The Incredibles had action sequences of such high caliber that Hollywood just got its ass kicked and kicked hard. The entire sequence in the jungle is a note-for-note playbook on how an action scene should play. There was a genuine sense of danger and peril, you knew that the heroes lives were in danger and that, more importantly, they could be hurt, and then stacked the odds so high that they seemed insurmountable. Then the super heroes fought long and hard, and I was gripping the chair in the theater harder than I've done in a long time. To top all of that off, you have the last half hour which is the most exciting thing I've seen in probably the last five years. Cap that with an ending I don't think anyone saw coming, and The Incredibles stands head and shoulders above the rest.

It's long been held that the first two Superman movies and the second X-Men movie are the gold standards by which all superhero movies should be judged. No longer. The Incredibles has now set the bar so far out of reach that I cannot wait for the movie that looks at it and says, "Yeah, I can jump that." Three cheers for Brad Bird and the magnificent team at Pixar. You've gifted the world with one of the greatest movies ever, the greatest superhero film ever made, and the best movie of 2004. Thank you, and I will be seeing this again and again, and the forthcoming DVD will be required viewing for my family for years to come.

thumbsup  thumbsup

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
fountainpengwen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2004, 04:49:59 AM »

But I did think he was the spitting image of William H. Macy.

I had the exact same reaction when we first saw the boss!  I thought to myself, "Man, William H. Macy really is in every movie!  I mean, even when he's not in a movie, he's still in the movie..."  

It was an extremely fun movie, and what would be the camera work were this a live-action film was amazing.  Many nice artsy shots.  

However, be warned -- though the end credits in and of themselves are worth staying for, there aren't any special goodies at the end (...yet?).
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2004, 05:19:51 AM »

Just got back from seeing and I aboslutely loved it.  I would've gone right back in and watched it again had there been another showing available.  Pixar is abosolutely amazing!  I saw the Cars trailer, and while it didnt' excite me as much, after seeing The Incredibles I'm going to withold judgement until I see the movie.  Amazing! Stupendous! Incredible!  

SPOILER!!!

I liked the homage to Jedi in it as well.  The forest scene where the boy is discovering his powers and running through the forest is classic.  The sound on this one is incredible as well too.

I'll be going back to see this one again in a couple days.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2004, 07:05:05 AM »

Nothing really to say that hasn't been said already.  A most excellent film.  And llike another said, the sound was brilliant.  Added so much to an already great flick.  Those action sequences were amazing, especially the "running" scenes.  So.. how long til computer games looks this good?  slywink

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2004, 01:30:51 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
Not so sure about Cars, though.  The teaser trailer didn't get me excited at all.  Amused, yes.  Excited, no.  Could be Pixar's first misfire.  Looking forward to seeing the full trailer and getting a better grasp on what it's about.

To be fair, I think that the way early trailers are a weekness of Pixar. Out side of the Incredibles, they are we flat. In fact, Nemo's eary preview looked so bad that many predicted that pic was doomed.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2004, 02:35:59 PM »

Well, if Cars is bad it would leave a stain on Pixar considering Lasseter is at the helm of it.  It is also the last movie in their deal with Disney, although I personally see a deal being done.

First thing I was asked when we got out of the theater: "Think there will be a sequel?"  Well, unless Pixar works a deal out with Disney, any sequels will be from Disney itself since they will own the rights like they do to Toy Story and the rest.

I figured there might be more after the credits, but I did see something interesting, they were granted permission to use the name "Omnidroid" from LucasFilm.  I'm guessing it was a little "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" since Skywalker Sound did at least part of the sound in this movie.

It was great to see this movie, because all I had been hearing about was that Brad Bird really pushed the Pixar animators with his ideas and it shows.  He is a visionary and I hope to see more from him in the future for Pixar.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2004, 03:04:44 PM »

It was a great movie. We were the first in line for the first showing, but we didn't get the SW trailer  :cry:

My 4 year old son thought the last scene with the baby was the best in the movie, he was still talking about it days later, probably because he has a baby brother who is exactly the same  :wink:
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2004, 06:53:28 PM »

Just wanted to pop in and say that I finally got around to seeing this movie.

Me personally, I've skipped out on both A Bug's Life and then skipped Finding Nemo as well in theaters simply because the subject matter didn't interest me. Both times I saw them later and discovered that I was right to not see them. They just weren't for me.

On the other hand, the Incredibles is the second best movie I saw this year. The one and only movie I would rate as having enjoyed more in the theater would be collateral.

Excellent movie. I'll own it the very day it hits DVD. I might even see it again in the theater.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2004, 06:43:38 AM »

Oh wowie, wowie, wowie what an amazing movie!  I was thrilled from start to finish!  Just an amazing movie.  Those guys at Pixar are amazing!!!!!!
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2004, 02:20:44 PM »

knocked off work a little early yesterday and ran out to see it with my wife. What a fantastic flick. If I had to muster up one complaint it would be that the pacing at the end (around the time of the final droid fight) got just a very little bit weird. I guess I've gotten conditioned that I expect the ultimate robot to get up after the first "defeat" shot.

I didn't laugh at this one as much as I did in the Toy Stories, but the film made up for it in just the utter greatness of the animation and how quickly I was able to get into the characters.

Oh, and maybe it has something to do with playing so much CoH over the last few months, but I caught myself thinking that the reason the family fought so well together was that it was a pretty mixed and balanced team. You've got a tank, an ice blaster, we'll call Mom a controller, the daughter a defender, and the son a scrapper (all though that might be a stretch). smile
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2004, 02:24:13 PM »

Great movie.  I saw Nemo, and it was okay but this was above an dbyeond what I thought.  Really hilarious.  The thing is though I could see kids being kind of bored during the movie at times.  It seemed like some segments were defintiley geared just towards adults.....
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2004, 06:10:28 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
Just wanted to pop in and say that I finally got around to seeing this movie.

Me personally, I've skipped out on both A Bug's Life and then skipped Finding Nemo as well in theaters simply because the subject matter didn't interest me. Both times I saw them later and discovered that I was right to not see them. They just weren't for me.

On the other hand, the Incredibles is the second best movie I saw this year. The one and only movie I would rate as having enjoyed more in the theater would be collateral.

Excellent movie. I'll own it the very day it hits DVD. I might even see it again in the theater.

The only movie I enjoyed more in the theater this year was also Collateral-which i think was just a truly brilliant film. I hope it gets Oscar buzz. But I did love the incredibles. I bought my little cousins some incredible pajamas. I hope to watch it again with them next time I see them frown
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2004, 08:24:34 PM »

We took our boys (ages 5.5 and 3) to see this yesterday--the 3 year old is heavily into superheroes and action figures of all kinds.  I was concerned that the boys would be bored, but as soon as the credits played our 3 year old said "Play it again!"

Best movie I've seen in a long time.  Why can't more movies be this good?  If they were, I might go to the theater more than once a year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: