http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 10:15:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Hunger Games  (Read 3272 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2011, 05:09:11 PM »

Great book series.  I assume others have read it. 

EW's cover this week is Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen.  She looks good.

It also reveals that, in addition to Stanley Tucci as Ceasar, we get Elizabeth Banks as Effie and Woody Harrelson as Haymitch. 

I'm a little ugh on that last one.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 06:12:56 PM »

Hmm. Woody should make a pretty good Haymitch.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 09:38:12 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on May 19, 2011, 06:12:56 PM

I think most people were hoping for Robert Downey Jr.

I love the choices for the 2 boys, though, Josh Hutcherson is adorable and the other guy playing Gale (all I know he is the Thor guy's brother - damn those are some good family genes) is freakin HOT.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 09:40:28 PM »

never heard of it.  is the series worthy of my attention?  please note an erroneous answer will result in the death of this kitten.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 09:54:14 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 19, 2011, 09:38:12 PM

Quote from: Crawley on May 19, 2011, 06:12:56 PM

I think most people were hoping for Robert Downey Jr.

Robert Downey Jr and Hugh Laurie were the two names I heard most.  Either of those would have been better.  Personally, I always pictured Oliver Platt when I read it.  My sister saw Tim Roth.  That's four who I would have put on a long list over Woody, personally.

Quote from: CeeKay on May 19, 2011, 09:40:28 PM

never heard of it.  is the series worthy of my attention?  please note an erroneous answer will result in the death of this kitten.

Yes.  Very good.  Like anything these days, it's listed under Young Adult, but it could easily have been in the regular section.  The first book is the strongest, but they're all decent.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 11:49:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 19, 2011, 09:40:28 PM

It's certainly a series more geared towards "tweens"/young adult females in the Twilight vein - and yes there is a love triangle.  However the core plot themes are quite adult and I found the trilogy excellent - a far better read than the Twilight series.  And in fact better than a lot of "adult" sci-fi/fantasy series as well.  The concept of Book 1 revolves around a "deathmatch"/Survivor style game that is played with only children under 18.  Each section of the world has to send two representatives, one boy and one girl, chosen by random lottery pick (unless someone volunteers).  They are then put into an arena (which changes each year) and battle to the death, last one standing - all for a viewing audience.  Numerous obstacles and traps and other surprises are a part of the overall game, and outside people can pay in to send gifts to their favorite players to help them.  It's a pretty awesome and disturbing concept all in all.  And of course like Survivor you can choose to go it alone or make alliances to help get through it - knowing in the end you'll have to kill each other to win.

I was a little uncomfortable giving this to my niece to read (I think she was 13 or 14 at the time), but she loved it.  The series just concluded recently so you can finish the whole story at once.  I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone who thinks the concept sounds cool, particularly Survivor fans smile
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 01:59:29 AM »

I just finished reading the trilogy. I really liked it. Reads fast, well written, good characters, good plot. I thought the series end was a little weak (felt like the author ran out of steam), but overall a good experience. I'm actually a little mystified as to how they are going to end this as a movie trilogy. The third book is pretty dark, and the end (while very true to the characters and the story) is kind of a bummer. Its kind of a brave ending, given the target audience. Hollywood tends not to have brave endings, so I'm curious how they are planning to dumb this down.

In terms of Woody Harrelson being cast as Haymitch, I think that's perfect. Of the other options thrown around, I think I like him for that part over Robert Downey (RD is the far better actor, but there is almost something too pretty or larger than life about RD to make him a great Haymitch), Hugh Laurie (I don't see that one, myself), or Oliver Platt (a little too refined for my taste). Tim Roth would have made an awesome Haymitch, but I'm pleased with Woody. He can do self-destructive in his sleep, and he can come off as an asshole supreme on film, which are both requirements for Haymitch. Also, I think he can act "dangerous" pretty well, which the actor playing Haymitch has to be able to project underneath all of the mess.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 11:57:58 PM »

10 Reasons Why The "Hunger Games" Movie Is Gonna Be Major Suck-Town

Spoiler for the lazy ones don't feel like link-clicking:

Have you guys SEEN this new picture from the commercial for the sneak preview of the "Hunger Games" movie? It looks great----if by great you mean RETARDEDDDD. Ugh. Here are ten things I hate about it so much it makes me wanna kill myself:

1. Katniss is just FROZEN THERE. But in the book, she's like a HERO, always running around and fighting for her life. She has to, or she would die herself! But in this picture, she's just like a STATUE. It doesn't MAKE ANY SENSE!!!!

2. What is that silver little button thing on her left shoulder? Is it a button? Is it one of those little silver things at the end of a hoody-rope!?!? Either way, I hate it. Was that IN THE BOOK?!?!? NO!!!!!

3. There are NO other characters in this picture, but if you go back and read the books, there are LOTS of other characters. Like, maybe a hundred or like eighty. What about Peeta? Where is HE in this picture? Or Gale? Or the girl who got her tongue cut out (sorry! spoiler!)? It’s like, if you’re not gonna pay ATTENTION to details and put all the characters in the movie, WHY ARE U EVEN MAKING THE MOVIE!!?!?!?

4. Jennifer Lawrence looks ugly as shit. I mean, not to be rude and no disrespect to her but she’s the fucking fugliest piece of dirt-shit I’ve ever seen in my life. Like, I’m not a mean person, but her face makes me want to puke and puke and puke.

5. The picture is blurry. DOES THAT MEAN THE MOVIE IS GONNA ALL BLURRY!? In the book, there is NO MENTION of blurriness, but if you look at the picture—esp if you try to enlarge it a lot—it’s way blur-town. I mean, who directed this even? Did Suzanne Collins sign off on this retard? I doubt it.

6. I do like how her hair’s messy though, cuz like with the running around and stuff, her hair WOULD be messy. So I do like that. Good job.

7. Her mouth!!!! She has one of those mouths where like the tops lip goes down. I mean, maybe SOME people like that, but it is NOT MY FAOVRITE KIND OF MOUTH ON A PERSON. (And PS, I think a lot of people would agree. Just ask).

8. Katniss’ neck looks retarded. LIKE, I know what you’re gonna say—-but for real, there’s no REASON for her neck to look that retarded. She’s fighting for her life, not competing in a RETARDED NECK COMPETITION!!!!

9. I can’t tell based on the picture what is behind her because it’s all out of focus (AND BLURRRY) but I HOPEEEEE they’re TREES. Cuz what if its just like green and brown PAINTINGS of trees?!! That would suck SO MUCH. I wanna give the director the benefit of the doubt that they’re real trees and not just shitty paintings of trees, but based on how fucking STUPID everything else about this picture is, I BET ITS JUST PAINTINGS!!!!!!!! Ugh. Fuck this fucking movie.

10. Everything. Just everything. Even her nose. I mean, THATS what we’re supposed to believe Katniss’ nose looks like? Ummmmmmmmmmm okay.

In conclusion, I can not WAIT to see this movie, I’m gonna bawl so much.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 05:21:58 AM »

That's sort of funny.

I had always pictured Haymitch as Timothy Spall, though later actions made me think that was a bad choice based on physical prowess... I heard someone say Russell Crowe at some point, which seemed plausible... I actually think that Woody could be good in it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »

Here's the very slight teaser trailer from the VMAs that the griefer was talking about.  Hope you like Katniss running in the woods.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 05:29:11 PM »

I really hope they give this some respect and approach it like the people who did the HP movies did and don't try to make it all Twilighty and tween friendly.  Not that I watched Twilight, but I saw clips, and good god...
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 04:53:04 PM »

New trailer out, looks good so far!

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20545118,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 05:12:08 PM »

Amazon has the series as part of their new Lending Library, so I figure I can give the first book a shot without it resulting in the death of this kitten.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 05:29:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 14, 2011, 05:12:08 PM

Amazon has the series as part of their new Lending Library, so I figure I can give the first book a shot without it resulting in the death of this kitten.

My wife got the first book with the Kindle Owner's Lending Library, and she likes it so far.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 05:38:30 PM »

My 15 year old daughter loved it and she hated Twilight.  So that's all good in my book.  Still need to read it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 02:00:53 PM »

The trailer has been unleashed

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 02:06:13 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 15, 2011, 02:00:53 PM

The trailer has been unleashed

Whoa...

Quote from: corruptrelic on November 14, 2011, 04:53:04 PM

It's like you didn't read the thread! Tongue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 02:10:07 PM »

What's funny is, I totally did.  Somehow I thought that was the teaser from a while back and I missed the date.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 02:44:50 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 15, 2011, 02:10:07 PM

What's funny is, I totally did.  Somehow I thought that was the teaser from a while back and I missed the date.

+10 Hark points for you!
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 03:37:50 PM »

Here's a question:  My wife is an avid reader, and she's of course a huge fan of the Harry Potter Series and much to my chagrin also a major Twilight Series fan as well.  While she often reads varying forms of some level of vampire smut, I've been seriously considering picking this entire series up for her for Christmas.  While it's not vampire sex or supernatural teen drama, I get the feeling that it's something she could really get into.  I'm not too familiar with the series (my first discovery of it was reading through this thread), but it sounds like something she might really appreciate as a new series she hadn't previously considered.  She's not into "difficult" or "heavy" reading that requires too much focus, so I'm apprehensive of getting her A Song of Ice and Fire.  I just don't think it would be her thing.  She's not into the knights and chivalry thing, anyway. 

They have the hardcover series on Amazon for around $28 (it is only a trilogy, correct?), and my plan is to pick it up for her as an interesting holiday surprise.  Recommendations/thoughts?  Are there any other must-have series in a similar vein? 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 03:46:57 PM »

I think this trilogy is a completely safe bet for her.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2011, 03:54:21 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 03, 2011, 03:46:57 PM

I'm glad to hear it.  This is one of those "unexpected" gifts and while I could get it for her on the Nook there are certain series she likes to have in hardcover (Harry Potter, Twilight, etc), and I have a feeling this may fall into that category as well.  Plus, it's hard to giftwrap a virtual book series and place it under the tree. 

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 06:46:56 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on December 03, 2011, 03:54:21 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 03, 2011, 03:46:57 PM

I'm glad to hear it.  This is one of those "unexpected" gifts and while I could get it for her on the Nook there are certain series she likes to have in hardcover (Harry Potter, Twilight, etc), and I have a feeling this may fall into that category as well.  Plus, it's hard to giftwrap a virtual book series and place it under the tree. 

Petsie Pie, it sounds like your wife and mine have similar reading taste - hit or miss.  icon_lol

That being said, mine loved The Hunger Games trilogy. I got them for her after seeing the movie trailer and she read them in less than a week.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 09:47:09 PM »

I read the first one after hearing all of the hype about it and wondering if it would work for me. Wasn't done with it before I was out rounding up the other two because I wanted to keep on going straight through. While it is somewhat predictable, after you get into it you'll know what segments of the story arc will be in each third - but I enjoyed the ride.  thumbsup

As to another recommendation, I can't imagine anyone who liked Harry Potter not liking the Fablehaven series of books by Brandon Mull. Once again, I picked up the first one on a whim and was thankful that all five were already in print so I could run out and grab the other four. Sure, the protagonists are brother & sister but throw in a great cast of characters around them, pretty much every creature of fairie and nightmare you can think of and an 'end of the world' type villian / plot and it was a page-turner all the way to the end.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 05:08:04 PM »

I saw the trailer and it reminded me of the Japanese book/movie Battle Royale. 

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 04:05:18 PM »

Well, I gave the wife The Hunger Games trilogy in hardback for Christmas before our trip to Pittsburgh, and she merely said, "Ooookay.....thanks."   saywhat  She's currently immersed in a series of Dirk Pitt style stories by Ted Bell, but she may get to The Hunger Games next.  So, as she wasn't doing anything with the books so far, I decided to give them a try while visiting her family (perfect way to get the hell away from everyone whenever my nerves were shot).  I tore through the first book in just a few days, started the 2nd last night, and I'm already halfway through Catching Fire.  I'll probably have all three finished by the time the semester starts back up on the 14th.

The stories have their issues, and some of the writing seems a bit too young adult (lacking any sophistication or even the slightest formality), but I love the various twists and turns you just don't see coming (they don't feel contrived but seem to work well in the story), the action is violent and the story's deaths are unapologetic, so for young adult fodder it is pretty mature.

I'm really enjoying the series and appreciate the recommendations.  Even if my wife doesn't read it anytime soon I still feel like I've gotten my money's worth.   icon_biggrin

EDIT:  Having finished the first book, I also just recently went back to watch the film's trailer.   icon_eek  So far it looks like they've really captured the universe of Katniss.  Not sure about Haymitch being played by Woody Harrelson, but he's so much fun in almost anything he does (even 2012) that I'm sure he can pull it off.  The film was previously kind of on the periphery of my radar, but now I'm really looking forward to seeing it. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:13:00 PM by PeteRock » Logged

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 04:19:49 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 04, 2012, 04:05:18 PM

Well, I gave the wife The Hunger Games trilogy in hardback for Christmas before our trip to Pittsburgh, and she merely said, "Ooookay.....thanks."   saywhat  She's currently immersed in a series of Dirk Pitt style stories by Ted Bell, but she may get to The Hunger Games next.  So, as she wasn't doing anything with the books so far, I decided to give them a try while visiting her family (perfect way to get the hell away from everyone whenever my nerves were shot).  I tore through the first book in just a few days, started the 2nd last night, and I'm already halfway through Catching Fire.  I'll probably have all three finished by the time the semester starts back up on the 14th.

The stories have their issues, and some of the writing seems a bit too young adult (lacking any sophistication or even the slightest formality), but I love the various twists and turns you just don't see coming (they don't feel contrived but seem to work well in the story), the action is violent and the story's deaths are unapologetic, so for young adult fodder it is pretty mature.

I'm really enjoying the series and appreciate the recommendations.  Even if my wife doesn't read it anytime soon I still feel like I've gotten my money's worth.   icon_biggrin

EDIT:  Having finished the first book, I also just recently went back to watch the film's trailer.   icon_eek  So far it looks like they've really captured the universe of Katniss.  Not sure about Haymitch being played by Woody Harrelson, but he's so much fun in almost anything he does (even 2012) that I'm sure he can pull it off.  The film was previously kind of on the periphery of my radar, but now I'm really looking forward to seeing it. 

I just started the first book after tearing through the Millenium series. So far so good, but I'm not that far into it.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 03:13:26 AM »

I started reading The Hunger Games a couple days after Christmas and just finished the third book last night.  While I will admit that the writing style can be a bit simplistic, the series deals with some interesting ideas, and the twists and turns of the story were so interesting that I couldn't put the books down.  I think my only complaint is that the whole thing comes to an end very quickly and while the conclusion is appropriate, I think it could have benefited from letting the story takes its time a little more.  That said, I really enjoyed the read and think it's accessibly enough that I would recommend it to just about anyone.

Having finished the first book, I also just recently went back to watch the film's trailer.   icon_eek  So far it looks like they've really captured the universe of Katniss.  Not sure about Haymitch being played by Woody Harrelson, but he's so much fun in almost anything he does (even 2012) that I'm sure he can pull it off.  The film was previously kind of on the periphery of my radar, but now I'm really looking forward to seeing it.  

I also went back and watched the trailer after the first book and agree that it looks spot-on.  The first time I saw it, I hadn't read any of the series and wasn't all that impressed, but it plays much better now that I know what's happening.  I think the efficient, straight-forward nature of the books should make a for a good translation to the big screen without having to leave much out.  I'm looking forward to the movies  icon_cool
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:00:24 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 04:58:49 AM »

Quote from: disarm on January 05, 2012, 03:13:26 AM

I started reading The Hunger Games a couple days after Christmas and just finished the third book last night.  While I will admit that the writing style can be a bit simplistic, the series deals with some interesting ideas, and the twists and turns of the story were so interesting that I couldn't put the books down.  I think my only complaint is that the whole thing comes to an end very quickly and while the conclusion is appropriate, I think it could have benefited from letting the story takes its time a little more.  That said, I really enjoyed the read and think it's accessibly enough that I would recommend it to just about anyone.

Having finished the first book, I also just recently went back to watch the film's trailer.   icon_eek  So far it looks like they've really captured the universe of Katniss.  Not sure about Haymitch being played by Woody Harrelson, but he's so much fun in almost anything he does (even 2012) that I'm sure he can pull it off.  The film was previously kind of on the periphery of my radar, but now I'm really looking forward to seeing it. 

I also went back and watched the trailer after the first book and agree that it looks spot-on.  The first time I saw it, I hadn't read any of the series and wasn't all that impressed, but it plays much better now that I know what's happening.  I think the effi :icon_cool:cient, straight-forward nature of the books should make a for a good translation to the big screen without having to leave much out.  I'm looking forward to the movies

That wasn't a very efficient way to write efficient.   icon_smile

I totally agree with your assessment of the third book and the ending.

As for the simpler writing style, I found it very appropriate for the character and the story that was being told.

Still not looking forward to Woody as Haymitch.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2012, 01:01:51 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 05, 2012, 04:58:49 AM

Quote from: disarm on January 05, 2012, 03:13:26 AM

I also went back and watched the trailer after the first book and agree that it looks spot-on.  The first time I saw it, I hadn't read any of the series and wasn't all that impressed, but it plays much better now that I know what's happening.  I think the effi :icon_cool:cient, straight-forward nature of the books should make a for a good translation to the big screen without having to leave much out.  I'm looking forward to the movies

That wasn't a very efficient way to write efficient.   icon_smile

What the hell happened there?  Problem fixed though icon_redface

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2012, 07:54:37 AM »

My GF and eldest daugther is reading these books and loving them. I guess that means I have to read them as well at some point considering just how hooked those two are on the books.

A new one
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 04:37:26 PM »

Recently finished book one and am now on book two. Thanks Amazon Kindle! I'm really looking forward to the movie and how it wil translate. The trailers have given away a couple of things that were not in the book. I wonder if the movie is just book one or the whole series? Anyways, it is on my watch list! icon_biggrin

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 04:50:41 PM »

Quote from: hispanicgamer on February 16, 2012, 04:37:26 PM

Recently finished book one and am now on book two. Thanks Amazon Kindle! I'm really looking forward to the movie and how it wil translate. The trailers have given away a couple of things that were not in the book. I wonder if the movie is just book one or the whole series? Anyways, it is on my watch list! icon_biggrin

So far from what I've seen in the trailers I really like how they've brought the ostentatious look of the Capitol's characters to life.  And I think they've casted Katniss quite well. 

My wife finally decided to give the first book a try during her 2-week business trip to the DC area, primarily to shut me up, and she texted me after her red-eye flight bitching that she only took the first book with her and should have grabbed all three.  Instead of sleeping on the flight she couldn't put the book down and fears she'll run out of reading material long before her business trip comes to a close. 

I tried to tell her to take at least the first two, but no one listens to me.  Funny thing is I gave her the hardback trilogy for Christmas and I wound up reading it.  Dual-purpose gifts FTW!   icon_cool

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 05:11:03 PM »

Movie is just the first book, hispanicgamer.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 05:16:25 PM »

I started the 1st book 3 weeks ago, and finished the trilogy last week.  That's not typical for me to dive into a series like that unless I'm really drawn into the story and characters.  I agree that the series could easily have been sold or marketed as adult literature, and not teen/young adult.  It's gruesome and very dark at times, even by adult sci-fi standards.  In fact, I don't know how they are going to show some of the violence from the first book in the movie.  I bet they signficantly edit down some of the more brutal scenes from the book.  The only teenish aspects were the main character being a somewhat angsty, emotionally damaged teen girl (16-19), and a sort of love triangle with 2 boys.  The latter got a bit annoying for me at times, but I had to remind myself that she's a 16-19 year old girl who's been through hell and back.  

Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss seems like it would be a great casting match, given her performance in Winter's Bone.  I could easily imagine her playing Katniss.  I was dissapointed when I finished the 3rd book, not because of the content (although the ending did kind of lose some steam), but because the series was over.  I hope the movies do well and drive more people to the books.  
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2012, 11:47:57 PM »

My buddy who got  to do a review of this and see the prescreen is telling me I must see this, as in... I REALLY MUST see this. I haven't seen him this excited since Inception, so I'm thinking this is a movie I want to see on the big screen. I haven't read the novels, so this will be my 1st exposure to the story.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2012, 12:09:50 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 23, 2012, 11:47:57 PM

My buddy who got  to do a review of this and see the prescreen is telling me I must see this, as in... I REALLY MUST see this. I haven't seen him this excited since Inception, so I'm thinking this is a movie I want to see on the big screen. I haven't read the novels, so this will be my 1st exposure to the story.

Read the first book.  Seriously.  You can do it in a day and a half.  Then see the movie.  We're going Sunday, so I'm reading it a 2nd time. 

Toe

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2012, 05:12:52 AM »

I did not enjoy the movie too much. Didn't help matters that a bunch of teenagers sat behind us and, it seemed at the most inopportune times, would be whispering, kicking seats, making intentional noise, etc etc. I think I projected my loathing of teenagers to the big screen, thus detracting more from my enjoyment of the movie.

I thought the movie really felt disjointed and hurried/rushed and it seemed to have an almost Twilight air about it some times. On one hand I think reading the books detracted somewhat from the movie, but on the other hand, they glossed over some much stuff that I could see where non-book readers might get confused or not put together elements of the story. I dont think the main character translated well from the book to the screen. I found myself not caring much about her.
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2012, 05:32:19 AM »

Haven't read the book (lined up on my Kindle when I get finished with WoT...so sometime next year at my reading rate!), but saw the movie this afternoon. Good movie, but not great. No trouble following what was going on or the characters, motivations, etc. Pretty straight forward movie in that regard. Effects were...okay.

My biggest knock against the film is the blasted shaky cam/quick cuts nonsense. It really detracts from my enjoyment in many, MANY scenes. There was one part of the film I felt that style was more than qualified:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The 'bloodbath' at the start of the Games was pretty brutal as it was, and I imagine would have been much more graphic if NOT quick cut/shaky, pushing up the rating of the movie...

But using it throughout the movie makes me hate the director/cameraman, and they take away from the movie.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2012, 06:37:22 AM »

Yeah, the quick cuts were annoying.  Also, the movie /felt/ rushed.  It didn't feel like I was there over two hours.  This isn't really a complaint, just a comment.  I did enjoy it, although you could see where they made some changes.  Some of them worked, some of them...not as much. 

I'd say 7.5/10 tho
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: