http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 04:31:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire  (Read 1082 times)
ravenvii
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2013, 02:20:10 AM »

SoÖ apparently this came out yesterday, and I didn't even know about it.

Mainly because no one posted about it here!

It seemed to have gathered some good reviews. Anyone seen it yet?
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 02:33:01 AM »

I never saw the first one -- thought it looked like a teenage girl movie. But the second one is getting such good reviews that I put them both in my netflix queue today. It'll reach the top of the list in a year or less. Apart from TV shows, my queue is down to just 62 disks.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 05:02:06 AM »

a co-worker saw this last night at the local megaplex and liked it quite a bit.  looking to go see it after T-day, probably first week of December. 

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 07:00:59 PM »

Seeing at IMAX with my wife this afternoon... will post any thoughts tonight.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 07:51:07 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on November 23, 2013, 02:20:10 AM

It seemed to have gathered some good reviews.

Here's one that says otherwise. There is something very important missing.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 02:18:50 AM »

I hated the first movie, thought it was typical teenage girl dreck.  Ms. Lawrence is nice to look at, which was the film's only redeeming factor.

Mrs. Gratch is dragging me to this new one next Wednesday night, something about payback for "Pacific Rim" (which she hated).  I'm hoping it's better than the first, but not holding my breath.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 02:21:53 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 24, 2013, 02:18:50 AM

I hated the first movie, thought it was typical teenage girl dreck.  Ms. Lawrence is nice to look at, which was the film's only redeeming factor.

Mrs. Gratch is dragging me to this new one next Wednesday night, something about payback for "Pacific Rim" (which she hated).  I'm hoping it's better than the first, but not holding my breath.

I may be one of the only males (Straight that is) on the planet who doesn't find her hot. Maybe it's because I first saw her in a movie as a kid, but mostly I think it's because her Cheek Bones are Ginormous. Seriously you could land a 737 on those things.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 02:49:07 PM »

The movie overall was pretty good, I know most of my friends liked it better than the first. I didn't think it was amazing, but if you liked the books you should enjoy it...
KC

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 02:58:59 AM »

I saw it with my teenage daughter and both agreed that the first was better.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 05:13:59 AM »

Iím really holding off to see if they rewrite a better ending to the series for the movies than the books.  I greatly enjoyed book 1 & 2 but book 3 was not only bad, but it ended in such a way that it took away from the first two.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »

Geez, I've not heard that about the books.

I can't wait for the movie, think any second guessing regarding Katiniss's hotness should be disregarded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake up.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 09:37:27 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on November 25, 2013, 05:13:59 AM

Iím really holding off to see if they rewrite a better ending to the series for the movies than the books.  I greatly enjoyed book 1 & 2 but book 3 was not only bad, but it ended in such a way that it took away from the first two.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by it being "bad" or taking away from the first two, although I do agree the third book is certainly a major departure in tone and content.  The problem is the setup is actually quite morbid to begin with, so she'd either have to lighten it up considerable (which could also take away from the first two) or follow through to a more dark/grim conclusion (which is the route she chose).

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't remember all the details but I do remember I was more or less satisfied by the very end of the book, both in terms of the revolution and the sacrifices that were made, as well as the resolution of the love triangle.  But of course I was a Peeta fan from the getgo.

- - -

Anyway regarding the movie, I thought it was excellent, favorite movie I've seen this year.  Of course the 2nd book was also by far the best in the series as well, so the source material is much stronger.   But what really makes it tick are stellar performances from Jennifer Lawrence and her supporting cast.  I really loved Elizabeth Banks this time around.  A lot of touching moments and sprinkled romance round out the action.  It's like the Empire Strikes Back of tween flicks lol.

Kind of fun side note: at the (packed) theater I was at, they asked how many people had read the book, and it was amazing; probably around 90% or more of the audience raised their hands, and it was a pretty mixed age group.  Kind of a nice feel that in this day and age there can still be that kind of response to a book/series.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 11:47:11 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 25, 2013, 09:37:27 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by it being "bad" or taking away from the first two, although I do agree the third book is certainly a major departure in tone and content. 
Big spoilers from the final book.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Three big points ruined the book for me:
1.   Katniss was turned from a strong independent character to a whiney, mopey brat. 
2.   Having the sister killed off invalidated the purpose of the original book. 
3.   Forcing the capitalís children to fight in one final hunger games is something that none of the characters would have voted for, and yet they all did, which ultimately reduces the heroes of the story to the same sort of low lifeís that they were rebelling against.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 06:40:11 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on November 25, 2013, 11:47:11 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by it being "bad" or taking away from the first two, although I do agree the third book is certainly a major departure in tone and content. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
1.   Katniss was turned from a strong independent character to a whiney, mopey brat. 
3.   Forcing the capitalís children to fight in one final hunger games is something that none of the characters would have voted for, and yet they all did, which ultimately reduces the heroes of the story to the same sort of low lifeís that they were rebelling against.

Spoiler for Hiden:
1.  Kind of agree, though if you think about it, even books one and two things are kind of just happening TO her as opposed to her really taking charge.  She seems kind of independent when she makes the switch for her sister, but as we see in book 2, she's as much a pawn as a player, and that kind of continues in book 3.

2.  Totally agree with this, I hated that.  I think it was a cheap way to justify her dumping Gale.

3.  I don't remember the details, but I thought I read that Peeta and someone else voted against.  But yeah, I also agree this was annoying.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 10:06:49 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 26, 2013, 06:40:11 PM

Quote from: Lordnine on November 25, 2013, 11:47:11 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
1.  Kind of agree, though if you think about it, even books one and two things are kind of just happening TO her as opposed to her really taking charge.  She seems kind of independent when she makes the switch for her sister, but as we see in book 2, she's as much a pawn as a player, and that kind of continues in book 3.

2.  Totally agree with this, I hated that.  I think it was a cheap way to justify her dumping Gale.

3.  I don't remember the details, but I thought I read that Peeta and someone else voted against.  But yeah, I also agree this was annoying.
There's also this (book 3 spoilers):
Spoiler for Hiden:
- The author kills off the very likable Finnik in a way that I had to reread the section 3 or 4 times to make sure I actually read what I did.  It was like she was trying to make his death a non event.  Of all the characters he was probably my favorite, especially because of his complete loyalty and love for the damaged Annie.
- Prim's death was unnecessary.  I felt like she did that more for shock value than to help move or develop the characters. 

Is shaky cam used as much in the sequel as it was in the original? 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 12:49:19 AM »

I kept hearing such bad things about the 1st movie -some of it here- that I didn't bother to go  see it in the theater. When it finally arrived on Netflix I watched it and really enjoyed it. I'm not going to miss seeing this one in the theater this time.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 01:28:25 AM »

It wasn't bad, but I think your lowered expectations made it "really" enjoyable.

Frankly, I preferred the Lightning Thief.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 01:28:38 AM »

Or the first Hulk.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 01:28:46 AM »

Or Sharknado.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 01:30:02 AM »

.. aw hell, who am I kidding? It had good moments but the movie was very... uncompelling (IMO). Kinda like Dumb and Dumber - some fantastic scenes in an otherwise "meh" movie aka the parts never added up.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 02:12:28 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 27, 2013, 01:28:25 AM

It wasn't bad, but I think your lowered expectations made it "really" enjoyable.

nope.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 02:12:35 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 27, 2013, 01:28:38 AM

Or the first Hulk.
nope.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 02:12:42 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 27, 2013, 01:28:46 AM

Or Sharknado.
yep.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 02:12:51 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 27, 2013, 01:30:02 AM

.. aw hell, who am I kidding? It had good moments but the movie was very... uncompelling (IMO). Kinda like Dumb and Dumber - some fantastic scenes in an otherwise "meh" movie aka the parts never added up.
blue moon.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 03:48:10 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2013, 02:12:28 AM

nope.

Bah. You've got the hots for under-age archer girls. (and no, I'm not talking Lana here)

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 03:50:00 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2013, 02:12:35 AM

Or the first Hulk.
nope.

The amount of time of "Hulk Smash" vs talking bits is just about the same as "Iron Man" vs Tony Stark.

The Hulk would have been better received if it didn't have such a crappy ending. The rest of it though? Worked fine - hell of a lot better than any Ghost Rider or Punisher flicks. It may even be better than a Spider Man movie.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 03:50:51 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2013, 02:12:42 AM

Or Sharknado.
yep.

Your obsession for Tara Reid is unnatural. Seek help.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 03:52:39 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2013, 02:12:51 AM

blue moon.

This, or this?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 04:45:02 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 27, 2013, 03:52:39 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2013, 02:12:51 AM

blue moon.

This, or this?
that.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 04:45:11 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 27, 2013, 03:50:51 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2013, 02:12:42 AM

Or Sharknado.
yep.

Your obsession for Tara Reid is unnatural. Seek help.
no.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 04:45:18 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 27, 2013, 03:50:00 AM

Or the first Hulk.
nope.

The amount of time of "Hulk Smash" vs talking bits is just about the same as "Iron Man" vs Tony Stark.

The Hulk would have been better received if it didn't have such a crappy ending. The rest of it though? Worked fine - hell of a lot better than any Ghost Rider or Punisher flicks. It may even be better than a Spider Man movie.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2013, 04:45:32 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 27, 2013, 03:48:10 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2013, 02:12:28 AM

nope.

Bah. You've got the hots for under-age archer girls. (and no, I'm not talking Lana here)
?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2013, 04:46:37 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2013, 04:45:18 AM

Quote from: Purge on November 27, 2013, 03:50:00 AM

Or the first Hulk.
nope.

whoops.  forgot to put in the message.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2013, 04:54:07 AM »

Post padding. Not surprised.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2013, 04:54:27 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 27, 2013, 04:54:07 AM

Post padding. Not surprised.
pot kettle.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2013, 04:56:51 AM »

That's racist.

Ron went to see it. Impressions?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2013, 04:58:06 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 27, 2013, 04:56:51 AM

Ron went to see it. Impressions?

oh, wait.. I got one!

Spoiler for Ron at the movie:
Bring your own!

biggrin

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2013, 04:44:29 AM »

Just got home from seeing this.  My verdict (haven't read the books, FYI):  Slightly less awful than the first, but still an eye-rollingly stupid film.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2014, 07:17:34 PM »

I saw this movie last week and really enjoyed it. Watching it I figured out why I liked this and the 1st movie so much - IMO they've got a 70's dystopian vibe to them. Some of my favorite dystopian-themed movies are 70's films like Rollerball, Logans Run, THX 1138 and Soylent Green. Admittedly it might just be the nostalgia of my childhood, but I swear there's scene settings and art direction in this and the 1st film that pay homage to 70's movies like those.

I thought the performances by Jennifer Lawrence, Donald Sutherland and Woody Harrelson were good. For me the story and plot were descent and in particular the details and twists around the environmental arena were clever. I can see where some may find the story silly, but there's few Dystopian-themed novels and movies I've read and viewed that didn't have some element of that and a strong need to suspend disbelief. I haven't read the Hunger Games books and doubt I ever will, so that may very well allow me to appreciate this more than many others.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2014, 06:53:50 PM »

I thought this was a really enjoyable movie and much better than the first one.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: