http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 10:04:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Hobbit finds a director  (Read 28430 times)
Wargus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 17, 2012, 03:01:12 AM »

My problem with the higher FPS is the lighting is clearly false (wrong angles & shadows - chosen for film instead of realism in current movies) and distinction between the actors and the set becomes very obvious.   This could probably be mitigated with a really good set and more realistic lighting (including shadows!). If anybody gets it right I think Jackson's a good bet, however I'll believe it when I see it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 17, 2012, 05:03:55 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 16, 2012, 04:17:29 PM

and thank god that you have got rid of that sarcastic smiley avatar,i always took that smiley with everything you posted

yes, but now I have smiling Batman, and we all know Batman really doesn't smile biggrin

ninja

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 17, 2012, 05:25:42 AM »

Heck, why don't they film The Silmarillion while they are at it?  slywink
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 17, 2012, 12:00:12 PM »

The Silmarillion would be so epic if it was done right.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 17, 2012, 12:39:29 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 15, 2012, 06:39:04 PM

The Hobbit 2 becoming The Hobbit 2 & 3?

HitFix asked Jackson at Comic-Con if he and his team was in fact considering splitting "The Hobbit: There and Back Again" -- aka "The Hobbit 2."

"That's a discussion we're having, yeah," Jackson said. "We have certainly been talking to the studio about some of the material we can't film, and we've been asking them so we can do a bit more filming next year. Which, I don't know what would come of that, whether it'd be extended editions or whatnot. But those discussions are ongoing."

According to Warner, there are no plans to do a 3rd film and anything to the contrary is merely rumor. 

According to Variety:

Studio spokespeople told Variety, adding that there are "no planned or surprise announcements" involving a third film. "The plan was always for two."

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 17, 2012, 06:10:04 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on July 17, 2012, 12:39:29 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 15, 2012, 06:39:04 PM

The Hobbit 2 becoming The Hobbit 2 & 3?

HitFix asked Jackson at Comic-Con if he and his team was in fact considering splitting "The Hobbit: There and Back Again" -- aka "The Hobbit 2."

"That's a discussion we're having, yeah," Jackson said. "We have certainly been talking to the studio about some of the material we can't film, and we've been asking them so we can do a bit more filming next year. Which, I don't know what would come of that, whether it'd be extended editions or whatnot. But those discussions are ongoing."

According to Warner, there are no plans to do a 3rd film and anything to the contrary is merely rumor. 

According to Variety:

Studio spokespeople told Variety, adding that there are "no planned or surprise announcements" involving a third film. "The plan was always for two."

corporate speak translator: nothing is planned because they're only discussing it, and now it's not going to be a surprise because of the rumor.  there was a plan, but those change when we see dollar signs biggrin

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 25, 2012, 07:01:03 PM »

now they are in 'deep talks' for the third movie.

Sources close to the production of The Hobbit say the filmmaker has concluded that he wants to turn his upcoming two-film adaptation of the J.R.R. Tolkien epic into a trilogy. That would require additional shooting that sources say could take place next summer for about two months in New Zealand.

Jackson teased the idea at Comic-Con on July 14, telling fans that he wants to shoot more footage. But since then, sources say that studio Warner Bros., Jackson, producer Fran Walsh and writer-producer Philippa Boyens began exploring the logistics of what it would take to make another movie. Those talks are said to have accelerated in recent days, with the studio on board if the right financial arrangements can be achieved. That includes securing new actor deals for the expansive cast as well as shoring up certain rights associated with the property (The Hobbit has a long a tortured rights history.)

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 25, 2012, 07:29:24 PM »

I hope this 'last minute' decision if it does happen,doesn't effect the overall quality of the movies

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: July 26, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 25, 2012, 07:29:24 PM

I hope this 'last minute' decision if it does happen,doesn't effect the overall quality of the movies

Well, let's face it: The Hobbit would fit into only one movie if they told the story from the book. Instead they are adding stuff from the LOTR appendices and expanding heavily upon it. Considering that the worst parts of the LOTR trilogy were the ones that were invented by the filmmakers and didn't come from the books, we should be worried.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 26, 2012, 12:48:37 AM »

The Hobbit - 95022 words

The Fellowship of the Ring - ~187000 words
The Two Towers - ~155000 words
Return of the King - ~131000 words

Even if they add all of the LotR appendices to the Hobbit, it is still nowhere near close to the length of the Fellowship of the Ring by itself.  And they now want to make three movies out of it??  Ridiculous.  It just means dragging out the beginning of the journey.  Dragging out the middle of the journey.  And cramming all the action into the end of the third.  Even as a two-movie set, they would still be dragging out the beginning half of the journey.  Unless, of course, they end the 2nd movie with Bilbo getting the Ring, while dragging out the entire 3rd movie.
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 26, 2012, 01:38:42 AM »

It's pretty much my favorite book ever, so I'm very okay with this. I would much rather it be a three film epic than some hour and a half Michael Bay Summer Shitfest.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 26, 2012, 08:44:31 AM »

Quote from: heloder on July 26, 2012, 01:38:42 AM

It's pretty much my favorite book ever, so I'm very okay with this. I would much rather it be a three film epic than some hour and a half Michael Bay Summer Shitfest.

Where there ever any signs that it would only one and a half hour, or that it would be a Michael bay summer shitfest? The previous Tolkien movies were critically acclaimed and most Tolkien fans were very satisfied with the Lord of the Rings movies.

You will get two movies, both probably pretty long, describing one book from an Author that is well known for using half a page to describe a hill and the flowers on it. There's every reason to expect it to be dragged out though instead, due to the studio wanting to gain as much money from the movies as possible. Its natural, but its a shame if it happens.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: July 26, 2012, 09:47:05 AM »

Quote from: theohall on July 26, 2012, 12:48:37 AM

Even if they add all of the LotR appendices to the Hobbit, it is still nowhere near close to the length of the Fellowship of the Ring by itself.  And they now want to make three movies out of it??  Ridiculous.  It just means dragging out the beginning of the journey.  Dragging out the middle of the journey.  And cramming all the action into the end of the third.  Even as a two-movie set, they would still be dragging out the beginning half of the journey.  Unless, of course, they end the 2nd movie with Bilbo getting the Ring, while dragging out the entire 3rd movie.

To be fair, there's a lot more interesting stuff (for a movie) going on in The Hobbit than in The Fellowship of the Ring. It's my understanding that the first movie will cover the events leading up to the company arriving in Dale, which means it could actually feel pretty eventful. Also keep in mind that these new movies probably won't be anywhere near as long as the LOTR movies were (almost 4 hours each when expanded!). The second movie is probably going to cover both the siege of Dol Guldur and the Lonely Mountain, which means it should be packed as well.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 26, 2012, 10:18:03 AM »

Also wondering if this 3 movie thing does happen,will that mean Part 1 will be delayed,which is due in less than 5 short months

As for the movies themselves,i was expecting one part being roughly the same running time as one of the LOTR films when i heard they were adding the
Spoiler for Hiden:
White Council battling Sauron in Mirkwood,infact we should see Dol Guldur which was Saurons base in Mirkwood which isn't really focused upon in the book
and scouring the Appendix for more material

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 26, 2012, 11:23:07 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 26, 2012, 09:47:05 AM

To be fair, there's a lot more interesting stuff (for a movie) going on in The Hobbit than in The Fellowship of the Ring. It's my understanding that the first movie will cover the events leading up to the company arriving in Dale, which means it could actually feel pretty eventful. Also keep in mind that these new movies probably won't be anywhere near as long as the LOTR movies were (almost 4 hours each when expanded!). The second movie is probably going to cover both the siege of Dol Guldur and the Lonely Mountain, which means it should be packed as well.

I just saw this when reading about it possibly being a trilogy
http://social.entertainment.msn.com/movies/blogs/the-hitlist-blog.aspx?feat=129be8cf-3379-4305-b96e-8abfd2d81da0

See Bolded Part
Casual observers will note that "The Hobbit"—which is still only one book, and not a particularly dense one at that—has already been split into two films, "An Unexpected Journey" and "There And Back Again." The idea all along was to ostensibly tell the complete story of "The Hobbit" in the first film, and then use the second film to fill in the gaps between that book and "The Fellowship of the Ring," tying up all the loose ends in the franchise. Has that plan changed? Will the story of "The Hobbit" be (unnecessarily) split into two, leaving this potential third film to bridge the narrative gap between trilogies?

Not sure when the hell this was that decided?,first i have heard of it anyway,i thought the two films were for the story of The Hobbit(split in two) with Appendix material to buff it all out etc
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:28:17 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: July 26, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 26, 2012, 11:23:07 AM

See Bolded Part
Casual observers will note that "The Hobbit"—which is still only one book, and not a particularly dense one at that—has already been split into two films, "An Unexpected Journey" and "There And Back Again." The idea all along was to ostensibly tell the complete story of "The Hobbit" in the first film, and then use the second film to fill in the gaps between that book and "The Fellowship of the Ring," tying up all the loose ends in the franchise. Has that plan changed? Will the story of "The Hobbit" be (unnecessarily) split into two, leaving this potential third film to bridge the narrative gap between trilogies?

Not sure when the hell this was that decided?,first i have heard of it anyway,i thought the two films were for the story of The Hobbit(split in two) with Appendix material to buff it all out etc

I believe the stuff you quoted was from very early on in development. We've known for a while that Smaug won't make an appearance in the first film, for example.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 30, 2012, 05:45:38 PM »

And its official.  The Hobbit is now a trilogy according to PJ.

http://blastr.com/2012/07/confirmed-peter-jacksons.php

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 30, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »

woohoo!  my corporate speak translator worked again!

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 30, 2012, 05:49:32 PM »

This doesn't sound good.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 30, 2012, 06:13:49 PM »

We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance

see,i thought all that shit was going to be in it anyway when it was 2 films...if this was not going to be in the 2 films,then okay yeah,i am fine with 3 films ...but like i asked above,will that mean the first film will now be delayed?

There is also the critics,if they don't like it,this is the first thing they will blame("last minute decisions to make it a trilogy etc etc")

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 30, 2012, 07:14:55 PM »

Are they going to have to schedule more shooting now? 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: July 30, 2012, 07:20:55 PM »

Hopefully this just means that The Hobbit is two movies, and then the third is their appendices bridge to LOTR.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 30, 2012, 07:41:08 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 30, 2012, 07:20:55 PM

Hopefully this just means that The Hobbit is two movies, and then the third is their appendices bridge to LOTR.

if it has the Battle of Dol Guldur like he says then that happens slap bang in the middle when Gandalf fucks off,and leaves the party on their own(and it should be a kickass scene,Cate Blanchet,Ian McKellan,Christopher Lee,Sylvester McCoy and Hugo Weaving altogether fighting)

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 30, 2012, 08:39:49 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 30, 2012, 07:14:55 PM

No, they have 3 movies in the can.  I'm sure they'll have some pickup shots, but they have all the footage.  Of course, they should since they shot for 266 days.  LOTR was 274 days, so don't be too concerned about any lack of footage.   icon_biggrin

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 31, 2012, 03:13:14 AM »

From the sound of things, after the final day of shooting wrapped and they started looking at what they had, Jackson felt that there was too much that would have to be left out if they stuck to the two movie plan.  I get the impression this is more of a situation where a 3rd movie was needed to tell the story PJ wanted to tell and less about getting 3 separate box office takes.  I dont think they will be watering down the original 2 movie plan to do this.  Anyway after the excellent job Jackson did on LOTR, Im gonna trust him on this one.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: July 31, 2012, 03:21:17 AM »

Quote from: Blackadar on July 30, 2012, 08:39:49 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on July 30, 2012, 07:14:55 PM

No, they have 3 movies in the can.  I'm sure they'll have some pickup shots, but they have all the footage.  Of course, they should since they shot for 266 days.  LOTR was 274 days, so don't be too concerned about any lack of footage.   icon_biggrin

from a couple of articles I linked to above:

Some of what Jackson was hoping to film would be found in J.R.R. Tolkien's supplementary material.

"I'd like to shoot a bunch more material that we [couldn't] shoot. There's so much good stuff in the appendices that we haven't been able to squeeze into these movies," Jackson said, referring to the appendix sections found at the end of "The Return of the King" detailing more background on Middle Earth and its history.

Sources close to the production of The Hobbit say the filmmaker has concluded that he wants to turn his upcoming two-film adaptation of the J.R.R. Tolkien epic into a trilogy. That would require additional shooting that sources say could take place next summer for about two months in New Zealand.

Jackson teased the idea at Comic-Con on July 14, telling fans that he wants to shoot more footage. But since then, sources say that studio Warner Bros., Jackson, producer Fran Walsh and writer-producer Philippa Boyens began exploring the logistics of what it would take to make another movie. Those talks are said to have accelerated in recent days, with the studio on board if the right financial arrangements can be achieved. That includes securing new actor deals for the expansive cast as well as shoring up certain rights associated with the property (The Hobbit has a long a tortured rights history.)

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 31, 2012, 10:07:26 AM »

Third film will be out in Summer 2014

http://screenrant.com/hobbit-3-movie-trilogy/

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 31, 2012, 07:16:36 PM »

Possible 3rd movie titles (stolen from Wired):

Bringing Up Bilbo
Tyler Perry’s The Hobbit
50 Shades of Gandalf the Grey
Dude, Where’s My Ring?
Raging Bilbo
Raiders of the Lost Arkenstone
The Sting
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 31, 2012, 10:06:05 PM »

Bilbo Baggins and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 01, 2012, 06:36:56 PM »

Because I can,
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 01, 2012, 06:49:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 01, 2012, 06:36:56 PM

Wow, if that's real, that's horrific.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 02, 2012, 07:38:33 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on July 30, 2012, 05:45:38 PM

And its official.  The Hobbit is now a trilogy according to PJ.

http://blastr.com/2012/07/confirmed-peter-jacksons.php

I think I've decided to skip this.  At least until video.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 02, 2012, 01:20:31 PM »

Just wait til you get the sequels! The Hobbit - The hidden years...a love triangle..

A new one
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 08, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »

The revolution will be limited (48 fps)

http://www.slashfilm.com/revolution-limited-48fps-version-the-hobbit-dramatically-downscaled-distribution/
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 08, 2012, 05:27:39 PM »

Trilogy? I don't get it. The Hobbit was much shorter than any of the books in the LotR trilogy, and they did one movie per book.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: August 08, 2012, 05:31:53 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on August 08, 2012, 05:27:39 PM

Trilogy? I don't get it. The Hobbit was much shorter than any of the books in the LotR trilogy, and they did one movie per book.

Oh come on, do we really need to repeat this discussion every page in this thread? Tongue
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 08, 2012, 06:18:19 PM »

I didn't read the whole thread. That's why.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 01, 2012, 01:19:49 AM »

they've got names and dates for all three films now:

THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY - December 14, 2012
THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG - December 13, 2013
THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN - July 18, 2014

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 01, 2012, 02:20:57 AM »

Nice, all three will be out over a span of around a year and a half.   thumbsup    Ive been watching a lot of the video blogs that PJ has done.  This thing will rival LOTR in scope.  I think people will be very happy with the results.  Once this is done and you get the extended versions on disc, along woth LOTR ( the extended Bluray version runs 726 mins or just over 12 hours ) youll be able to spend over 20 hours in Middle Earth. 

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: September 01, 2012, 10:29:27 AM »

It's at least good they're putting Smaug in the middle. I'd hate to have to wait for the last movie to see him in action.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: