http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 02:13:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Hobbit finds a director  (Read 32916 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:39:54 PM »

Variety story which says that Guillermo del Toro has signed on to direct both "Hobbit" films, which will be produced by Peter Jackson. Harry at AICN speculates that Ron Perlman might be the voice of Smaug, which I think would be way cool. As always, we'll see how this pans out but Jackson et al will be heavily involved up to and including, I'm sure, Sir Ian McKellan's return as Gandalf the Grey.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 06:41:11 PM »

Hurrah!! Two of my favorite directors partnering for a big-budget Tolkie adaptation.

This will Rawk!  icon_biggrin
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 06:43:12 PM »

del Toro can do no wrong in my book.  he brings a pure love of the sci-fi/horror/fantasy genres to everything he does.  it really shows in the finished product. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 06:44:02 PM »

Quote from: Variety
Del Toro’s moving to New Zealand for the next four years to work with Jackson and his Wingnut and Weta production teams. He’ll direct the two films back to back, with the sequel dealing with the 60-year period between “The Hobbit” and “The Fellowship of the Ring,” the first of the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy.

Awesome! Now that's a filmmaker right there.

btw, Whiteboyskim, I really like the line in your sig about filmmaking. Someday soon I hope to be making such types of films.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 06:47:25 PM »

I don't get why they need two films for The Hobbit. The Hobbit is much shorter than the books in the trilogy, and they managed to squeeze each book into one movie.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 06:47:50 PM »

Great choice, IMO.

Now as for the sequel "dealing with the 60-year period between “The Hobbit” and “The Fellowship of the Ring,” "
does that mean they'll be creating canon or is there source material that Tolkein wrote that I'm not aware of?

Who should play young Bilbo?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 06:52:47 PM »

I'm not googley eyed over Del Toro like most geeks (not a huge fan of Blade 2 or Hellboy and while I thought Pan's Labyrinth was excellent I wasn't moved to swoon over it like others in the community) but I think Del Toro is a good fit visually for PJ's style so I think he's about the best they could have chosen outside of PJ himself helming the films.

What's kind of interesting to me is that Universal is supposedly be kind of pissed off about this.  They were really courting him- first by agreeing to fund a Hellboy sequel at a high budget (kind of risky given that the first one wasn't a big hit) and then they picked up the rights to his dream project for him ("In the Mountains of Madness") only to have him turn around and commit to spend the next four years working for New Line and MGM. 
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 07:09:58 PM »

Well he had one good movie (Pan's Labyrinth), everything else he has done (that I have heard of) is pretty bad. So I am a little worried.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 07:11:45 PM »

Quote from: Lee on April 25, 2008, 07:09:58 PM

Well he had one good movie (Pan's Labyrinth), everything else he has done (that I have heard of) is pretty bad. So I am a little worried.

Have you actually seen any of his movies?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 07:15:25 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on April 25, 2008, 07:11:45 PM

Blade 2 and Hellboy, god awful bad. Pan's is amazing.

I tend to disagree pretty strongly with computer game forum TV/movies likes/dislikes. I think most of what is popular here isn't even watchable. I am kind of a snob. smile
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 07:15:55 PM »

he's seen pan's labyrinth! 

oh...and what's that film with the little girl living in spain who imagines a whole fantasy world complete with mythical creatures while the real world gets increasingly dangerous around her?

it was something like "Hans Mabarinth"....ah, i can't remember now.

I am kind of a snob. smile

you need to have good taste and some knowledge of the topic to be an effective snob in that arena, though.     icon_wink
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 07:17:57 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 07:19:33 PM »

Quote from: Lee on April 25, 2008, 07:15:25 PM

I tend to disagree pretty strongly with computer game forum TV/movies likes/dislikes. I think most of what is popular here isn't even watchable. I am kind of a snob. smile

Devil's Backbone is supposed to be quite good but I haven't seen it. I've heard decent things about Cronos as well.  But, yeah, for me with Mimic, Blade 2, and Hellboy, his track record is mixed at best. 
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 07:22:18 PM »

All teasing aside, I guess I don't understand the hate for Hellboy.  I thought it achieved exactly what it was supposed to:  a comic book movie with a butt load of action but with a decent narrative and a heart.  he makes thoughtful films like pan's lab and devil's backbone, but he's also capable of making some great action films.  heck, i even liked blade 2.  that final fight scene (bad cgi and all) was a great comic book movie fight, complete with overemphasized body slams and all.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 07:28:58 PM »

Quote from: Raven VII on April 25, 2008, 06:47:25 PM

I don't get why they need two films for The Hobbit. The Hobbit is much shorter than the books in the trilogy, and they managed to squeeze each book into one movie.

As ATB points out, the plan is one movie will be The Hobbit and the other will cover some other story and act as a bridge between The Hobbit and the beginning of the LOTR trilogy.  Tolkien makes references to a number of things that happened in that period.  A lot of speculation has the second film perhaps focusing on the defeat of Sauron by Gandalf and the council that is referenced as being part of what Gandalf is up to when he is absent during parts of The Hobbit.  That story could allow them to incorporate younger versions of Aragorn, Legolas, etc.

My only concern is that at least some of the actors who might be reprising their roles will be old enough to make me wonder how they will pull it off.  Basically, they will be filming these movies almost 10 years after the first trilogy was filmed, and some of the actors are noticeably older but will be playing younger versions of the characters.  For example, can Viggo play a younger Aragorn when he's in his early 50's?  That's the main question I have.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 07:30:10 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 25, 2008, 07:22:18 PM

All teasing aside, I guess I don't understand the hate for Hellboy.  I thought it achieved exactly what it was supposed to:  a comic book movie with a butt load of action but with a decent narrative and a heart.  he makes thoughtful films like pan's lab and devil's backbone, but he's also capable of making some great action films.  heck, i even liked blade 2.  that final fight scene (bad cgi and all) was a great comic book movie fight, complete with overemphasized body slams and all.

I don't hate either.  Hellboy was just vaguely disappointing (though I really need to watch the Director's Cut one of these days) and Blade 2 was alright but not as good as the first one IMO (still miles better than Blade 3).  So, for me, while Del Toro isn't a negative dong a movie, he's not a must-see either.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 07:32:32 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on April 25, 2008, 07:28:58 PM

Quote from: Raven VII on April 25, 2008, 06:47:25 PM

As ATB points out, the plan is one movie will be The Hobbit and the other will cover some other story and act as a bridge between The Hobbit and the beginning of the LOTR trilogy.  Tolkien makes references to a number of things that happened in that period.  A lot of speculation has the second film perhaps focusing on the defeat of Sauron by Gandalf and the council that is referenced as being part of what Gandalf is up to when he is absent during parts of The Hobbit.  That story could allow them to incorporate younger versions of Aragorn, Legolas, etc.

My only concern is that at least some of the actors who might be reprising their roles will be old enough to make me wonder how they will pull it off.  Basically, they will be filming these movies almost 10 years after the first trilogy was filmed, and some of the actors are noticeably older but will be playing younger versions of the characters.  For example, can Viggo play a younger Aragorn when he's in his early 50's?  That's the main question I have.

Aragorn's abnormally long lived though isn't he?  What age would he have been during The Hobbit?

I just hope that if they do bring back anyone but Gandalf that they make it intrinsic to the story and not cheap fan service where it's "hey, we just bumped into a band of dwarves and Gimli's with them" or "Oh cool here's a batch of elves and there's Legolas!"
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 07:42:49 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 25, 2008, 07:30:10 PM

Quote from: hepcat on April 25, 2008, 07:22:18 PM

I don't hate either.  Hellboy was just vaguely disappointing (though I really need to watch the Director's Cut one of these days) and Blade 2 was alright but not as good as the first one IMO (still miles better than Blade 3).  So, for me, while Del Toro isn't a negative dong a movie, he's not a must-see either.

Let us never speak of Blade III.  It resides in the same cinematic no-man's land as Highlander II: The Dumb-ening.

As for del Toro, I always get this feeling when I'm watching a film he's made that I'm seeing something that has had an actual modicum of thought and love go into it.  You can tell from his work and from interviews that he is passionate about these types of films...films most directors make only after another one of similar content makes a butt load of cash during a fluke release.  Perhaps that makes me less inclined to see the warts, but looking back the only complaint I have about any of his films is that sometimes he drags things on a bit longer than they need to be.  However, it's never so bad as to make me change my positive opinions on any of his films.

If you get a chance, check out the excellent Hellboy animated movies he's produced with Mignola.  They're fantastic and I think you'd like them.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 07:45:24 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 25, 2008, 07:32:32 PM

Aragorn's abnormally long lived though isn't he?  What age would he have been during The Hobbit?

I just hope that if they do bring back anyone but Gandalf that they make it intrinsic to the story and not cheap fan service where it's "hey, we just bumped into a band of dwarves and Gimli's with them" or "Oh cool here's a batch of elves and there's Legolas!"

I'm not going to go digging for it, buy my recollection is that Aragorn would be pretty young at the time of the Hobbit.  I think he's supposed to be 70 or 80 at the time of LOTR, and The Hobbit takes place 60 years earlier.  He may not have been involved in the other Hobbit era events, but I know that there are references to he and Gandalf working together decades before LOTR takes place.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, Aragorn is 87 at the time of LOTR and is supposed to be "in the prime of this his life," so something equivalent to maybe 35.  Viggo was 42 when he made LOTR.  Aragorn did a bunch of things before the LOTR events, during which he basically would have been in the equivalent of this 20's.  Viggo will be 51 52 if he portrays Aragorn in the new movies.

Edit Edit:  So, I ended up digging after all.  Here's the timeline from the books:

2931 - Aragorn born
2941 - Events of The Hobbit
2957-2980 Aragorn does a lot of adventuring, including with Gandalf
3001 - Bilbo's birthday party where he leaves the Shire, Gandalf wonders about the ring
3007-3017 Gandalf and Aragorn search for Gollum at various times
3018 - Events of LOTR begin

That all said, it's kind of irrelevant since the movies didn't follow that timeline in detail.  So, who's to say.  But, Aragorn will still supposed to be younger.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 08:02:31 PM by Sarkus » Logged

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 07:56:37 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on April 25, 2008, 07:45:24 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 25, 2008, 07:32:32 PM

I'm not going to go digging for it, buy my recollection is that Aragorn would be pretty young at the time of the Hobbit.  I think he's supposed to be 70 or 80 at the time of LOTR, and The Hobbit takes place 60 years earlier.  He may not have been involved in the other Hobbit era events, but I know that there are references to he and Gandalf working together decades before LOTR takes place.

A lot will depend on what kind of time compression they use.  If they actually try and stick with "60 Years between" then yeah it could be awkward, though they could still bring him in partway through the second portion of the film. Assuming that Aragorn aged normally until adult and *then* slowed down, he would probably find in any portion of the film that's set around 30 years or less before Fellowship.

But I think they might end up speeding things up anyway- they compressed the hell out of the beginning of Fellowship and I could see them doing that here as well. 
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 08:26:20 PM »

Quote from: Lee on April 25, 2008, 07:15:25 PM

Oh, No, You Didn't! The Re-education of Lee must begin soon.  icon_twisted
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 09:42:03 PM »

Lee, try out the Devil's Backbone. I like it a LOT more than Pan's, though I'm in the minority. In fact, Pan's was disappointing because it just wasn't as good as Devil's Backbone. It's one of my favorite movies, and along with LA Confidential, one I don't mind calling perfect, meaning there are no flaws I can think of.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Two Sheds
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 10:43:44 PM »

The Devil's Backbone and Cronos are both crazy good (Devil's Backbone slightly more so).

And I liked Hellboy.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 11:22:31 PM »

As for del Toro, I always get this feeling when I'm watching a film he's made that I'm seeing something that has had an actual modicum of thought

OK, I can't keep quiet anymore.

Dude, you mean like...WHENHEGETSHISSUNGLASSESBACKANDNOWHECANKICKASSCRANKTHECRYSTALMETHOD!i!i!i!i! OMFG THAT IS SO KEWL!!!*

Stop living in denial.  It was a terrible garbage movie aimed at homo-erotic 15yo boys notions of what 'cool' is.  It SUCKED dude.  And yes, it sucked so bad it's given me permanent pause for seeing anything by him again.

*FYI - I hated The Matrix, and all the other glossy stupid Milla Jovovich crap too.  I can watch a popcorn action flick, just don't beat me over the head with what some fucking adolescent boy thinks is 'cool'.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 01:22:48 AM »

I liked Blade 3 alot more than Blade 2.  never saw Pans Labyrinth, and unless they dubbed it never will.  I did like Hellboy and I'm looking forward to Hellboy 2.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 03:34:29 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 26, 2008, 01:22:48 AM

I liked Blade 3 alot more than Blade 2.  never saw Pans Labyrinth, and unless they dubbed it never will.

Oh, Hell's No!

(PR goes on to slaps Ceekay 50 times, his head slapping back and forth like a rubber punching bag)

icon_lol
warning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2008, 03:38:22 AM »

I liked Blade 3 alot more than Blade 2.  never saw Pans Labyrinth, and unless they dubbed it never will.  I did like Hellboy and I'm looking forward to Hellboy 2.

Yeah but you suck.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 04:58:41 AM »

Seriously?

The Blade movies go thusly:

Blade 2
Blade
Blade Trinity.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2008, 05:39:04 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on April 26, 2008, 04:58:41 AM

Seriously?

The Blade movies go thusly:

Blade 2
Blade
Blade Trinity.

Actually, they go like this:

Blade 2
Blade

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2008, 02:50:28 AM »

Quote from: Big Jake on April 25, 2008, 11:22:31 PM

As for del Toro, I always get this feeling when I'm watching a film he's made that I'm seeing something that has had an actual modicum of thought

OK, I can't keep quiet anymore.

Dude, you mean like...WHENHEGETSHISSUNGLASSESBACKANDNOWHECANKICKASSCRANKTHECRYSTALMETHOD!i!i!i!i! OMFG THAT IS SO KEWL!!!*

Stop living in denial.  It was a terrible garbage movie aimed at homo-erotic 15yo boys notions of what 'cool' is.  It SUCKED dude.  And yes, it sucked so bad it's given me permanent pause for seeing anything by him again.

*FYI - I hated The Matrix, and all the other glossy stupid Milla Jovovich crap too.  I can watch a popcorn action flick, just don't beat me over the head with what some fucking adolescent boy thinks is 'cool'.

You appear to have a great deal of knowledge regarding the homo-erotic fantasies of 15 year old boys. 

but seriously, you're speaking out of your backside.  you could say the same about ANY action film.  they're action films, for christ's sake, not merchant ivory productions.  ...although that would've been cool if hopkins had whipped out a pair of raybans and whooped ass in Howard's End.  i might have actually sat through that one....but then, i'm 15 years old and really only enjoy films that pander to my homosexual side.

anyway, name any action film that YOU like and i'm sure we could all point to a similar scene within it.  my guess is you're just trying to get a rise (i.e. trolling  icon_wink). 

and ceeykay...seriously?  blade 3?   eek

i just...i just don't know where I went wrong.  i blame myself.  maybe if i'd paid more attention to you when you were younger...i'm sorry, man. 

<runs crying from thread>
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 03:21:43 AM by hepcat » Logged

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2008, 07:31:09 AM »

I love Blade 2 (Does that make me 15 years old again btw?) - It has all the elements it needs to be just the movie it pretends to be. And the actors (Other than Wesley, whom I think does passable only) are great - The main bad guy is incredible - his body language is the best special effect you can have (As the director himself notes) and the dialogue towards the end reaches an all high for me - almost shakesperian in theme and tone...

About the sunglasses back and now we can kick ass? well, it IS a bit much, but made me laugh...

I'm absolutely sure Del Toro can bring this baby home.

oh oh oh! Little known fact - The guy playing Nomak , is the freaking lead singer of Bros!!! icon_eek

A new one
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2008, 08:21:01 PM »

You appear to have a great deal of knowledge regarding the homo-erotic fantasies of 15 year old boys. 
LOL icon_biggrin

anyway, name any action film that YOU like and i'm sure we could all point to a similar scene within it.

Aliens.  Remember that scene where THE ROCK MUSIC CRANKS UP AND HICKS GRABS HIS SUNGLASSES...Oh yeah, didn't happen.  Did a couple of the Space Marines love their guns a little much? Yep  Did it go over the top? Nope.  Is it realistic to believe that in a platoon of marines, at least a few will be in love with mayhem and their weapons? Yep.  As Joel Mathis once observed, Aliens is arguably the greatest action movie of all time because the people mostly respond to situations in ways that seem to fit realistic portrayals of people in those situations.  In Alien, the Space truckers reacted in horror, and then grim determination when confronted by their predicament.  In Aliens, the Marines had an initial shock to what was happening, then reasserted control over themselves, and fell back on trained behavior.  The ONLY minor concession to style was the bipedal skid loader, but there also is no know reason (that I can think of) that a tracked skid loader would be more believable on a spaceship. 

As I said before hepcat, I CAN watch popcorn flicks as popcorn flicks, but their is a limit of stupidity (for the sake of 'that's kewL!!!') that's acceptable in an action film.  And I sat this, remember, after I just touted the merits of an action film in which you can hear a single piece of rebar bouncing across concrete in the midst of a spaceship smacking into a nuclear reactor.  icon_biggrin

Here's my rule of thumb, which just occurred to me: if your action scene HAS to 'CRANK THE MUSIC!!!!', the film sucks, the director sucks, and they should leave it to people WAAAAAAAAAAAY more qualified than them.  Ronin - no cranked rock music in either car chase scene.  Die Hard 3, Bruce in elevator with 4 bad guys.  Terminator, discoteque...Yep, pay attention, the music dims despite the fact the scene occurs in a freaking club.  Holy crap, I may have just discovered the Holy Grail of knowing good action flicks from bad ones!

(And Hepcat, sorry for ragging on a film you like.  I just hate how Michael Bay/Matrix influence has slowly strangled the life out of good action movies.)

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2008, 08:37:03 PM »

I must agree that action movies has generally sucked since the early 90's (which was just a overflow from the 80's).

But I'm glad there are still moviemakers that exist who knows how to do a action movie correctly. Case in point, Live Forever or Die Hard. That movie was AWESOME. (The only part that's showing the influence from the Michael Bay/Matrix plague is the jet harriet scene towards the end, but even that part's not bad... it just says the moviemaker KNOWS how to do it right, he's just infected, that's all.)

biggrin

Even then, doesn't mean I hate all "modern" action movies - I loved The Matrix (hated the sequels though, so I pretend they don't exist), and actually enjoyed Blade 2 (not as much as Blade - nothing can beat the vampire nightclub scene. NOTHING. And the closure of that scene where Blade crawls out and walks out in the windy street... BAD. ASS.

Ok, the end.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2008, 10:09:15 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on April 27, 2008, 08:21:01 PM

LOL icon_biggrin

anyway, name any action film that YOU like and i'm sure we could all point to a similar scene within it.

Aliens.  Remember that scene where THE ROCK MUSIC CRANKS UP AND HICKS GRABS HIS SUNGLASSES...Oh yeah, didn't happen.  Did a couple of the Space Marines love their guns a little much? Yep  Did it go over the top? Nope.  Is it realistic to believe that in a platoon of marines, at least a few will be in love with mayhem and their weapons? Yep.  As Joel Mathis once observed, Aliens is arguably the greatest action movie of all time because the people mostly respond to situations in ways that seem to fit realistic portrayals of people in those situations.  In Alien, the Space truckers reacted in horror, and then grim determination when confronted by their predicament.  In Aliens, the Marines had an initial shock to what was happening, then reasserted control over themselves, and fell back on trained behavior.  The ONLY minor concession to style was the bipedal skid loader, but there also is no know reason (that I can think of) that a tracked skid loader would be more believable on a spaceship. 

As I said before hepcat, I CAN watch popcorn flicks as popcorn flicks, but their is a limit of stupidity (for the sake of 'that's kewL!!!') that's acceptable in an action film.  And I sat this, remember, after I just touted the merits of an action film in which you can hear a single piece of rebar bouncing across concrete in the midst of a spaceship smacking into a nuclear reactor.  icon_biggrin

Here's my rule of thumb, which just occurred to me: if your action scene HAS to 'CRANK THE MUSIC!!!!', the film sucks, the director sucks, and they should leave it to people WAAAAAAAAAAAY more qualified than them.  Ronin - no cranked rock music in either car chase scene.  Die Hard 3, Bruce in elevator with 4 bad guys.  Terminator, discoteque...Yep, pay attention, the music dims despite the fact the scene occurs in a freaking club.  Holy crap, I may have just discovered the Holy Grail of knowing good action flicks from bad ones!

(And Hepcat, sorry for ragging on a film you like.  I just hate how Michael Bay/Matrix influence has slowly strangled the life out of good action movies.)

so let me get this straight:  a 2 second segment where a hero puts on a pair of sunglasses and they play rock music over it (in a film with a predominantly rock/techno based soundtrack) is grounds for you to dismiss the other 118.58 minutes of the film? 

i gotta say, i actually feel a bit sorry for you. 

as for that scene, it was in blade 2, NOT hellboy.  i prefer hellboy, to be honest because I know that snipes added his own brand of "machismo" to blade 2 whenever he could...and being the star and a producer in that franchise, i'm sure he got final say.  oh, and hellboy received mostly positive reviews from a lot of critics...including Ebert (who gave huge kudos to Aliens).

by the way, i define what you describe as the "let's kick ass!" scene and, as i mentioned earlier, all action films have them.  i don't really see it as being the stuff of teenage homosexual fantasies, as you disturbingly do.  it's just a standard convention in ALL action films.  and Michael Bay (who i think is light years BEHIND del Toro in all things cinematic when it comes to action/horror films) didn't invent it. In your beloved Die Hard, is it realistic to believe our hero would be so brazen as to taunt the bad guys every chance he got?  that he'd take the time to write "Now I've got a machine gun" on a dead criminal's shirt?  those are all designed to get the audience's blood pumping.  yeah, they didn't play rock music over the scene, but it's still a pretty silly scene designed to get the audience riled up.  p.s. i liked die hard, so i'm not complaining.  die hard 3?  that one i might complain about.

and aliens' "Get away from her, you bitch!" line qualifies in my book as one of those scenes, as well.  or do you think ripley's expecting the queen alien to turn around and yell out, "Oh shit, i've been warned...feets don't fail me now!". 

now, with that said, i can see hating such films as Resident Evil 2 and 3 (1 was kind of fun in a goofy, over the top way) and Ultraviolet (a film that couldn't even get decent special effects).  not because they contain moments with "Swelling Music Action Scenes", but because they're just badly written and mostly derivative. 

ah well, in the end i really can't argue with you because you're the type of moviegoer who condemns a director's entire film library because of a 2 second scene you felt made you nephew want to have sex with men. 

Here's my rule of thumb, which just occurred to me: if your action scene HAS to 'CRANK THE MUSIC!!!!', the film sucks, the director sucks, and they should leave it to people WAAAAAAAAAAAY more qualified than them.

so you've seen what?  7 films in your entire lifetime?  cause pal, that's been going on since Birth of a Nation, for god's sake.

here's a thought:  when watching one of these films that dares to play music during an action scene, grab the remote and turn down the sound.   icon_wink
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 10:40:44 PM by hepcat » Logged

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2008, 11:29:57 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 27, 2008, 10:09:15 PM

here's a thought:  when watching one of these films that dares to play music during an action scene, grab the remote and turn down the sound.   icon_wink
I dunno, he's complaining about teenagers and loud music. I'd say it's time for him to hike his pants up to his chest and hit the early bird specials smile.
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2008, 12:04:03 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on April 26, 2008, 03:34:29 AM

I liked Blade 3 alot more than Blade 2.  never saw Pans Labyrinth, and unless they dubbed it never will.

Oh, Hell's No!

(PR goes on to slaps Ceekay 50 times, his head slapping back and forth like a rubber punching bag)

icon_lol
When you're done can I have a turn?

You're cutting yourself off of some great movies if you only watch things in English (and you're ruining the experience of some great movies if you watch them dubbed).

I just saw The Orphanage last night.  Great ghost story.  One of the best horror films I've seen in a while (and I had just watched and enjoyed Cloverfield the night before).  The film shared thematic elements to both The Devils Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth, but this is very much it's own picture.

Should be interesting to see what's done with The Hobbit...

Oh, oh, oh!  And wait a minute!  I just brought up his imdb page as I was replying and I see he'll be working on At the Mountains of Madness around the same time!  I'm even more excited about that one.  Maybe, finally a Lovecraft film that's good?  (excepting of course the silent Call of the Cthulhu, which is great)

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2008, 12:21:47 AM »

Quote from: Tscott on April 28, 2008, 12:04:03 AM

Oh, oh, oh!  And wait a minute!  I just brought up his imdb page as I was replying and I see he'll be working on At the Mountains of Madness around the same time!  I'm even more excited about that one.  Maybe, finally a Lovecraft film that's good?  (excepting of course the silent Call of the Cthulhu, which is great)

Don't plan on seeing "At the Mountains of Madness" for the next five or six years- it won't be done until he's done with The Hobbit. 
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2008, 01:25:10 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 28, 2008, 12:21:47 AM

Don't plan on seeing "At the Mountains of Madness" for the next five or six years- it won't be done until he's done with The Hobbit. 

I heard the studio he was going to do it with might have the rights to go ahead with a different director.  I hope they don't, if that's the case.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2008, 01:37:00 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on April 28, 2008, 01:25:10 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 28, 2008, 12:21:47 AM

I heard the studio he was going to do it with might have the rights to go ahead with a different director.  I hope they don't, if that's the case.

I hear Uwe Boll is available  icon_twisted

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2008, 02:17:08 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 28, 2008, 01:37:00 AM

and if there is a god in heaven, he'll remain that way...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2008, 03:25:08 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 28, 2008, 02:17:08 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 28, 2008, 01:37:00 AM

and if there is a god in heaven, he'll remain that way...

actually, if there was a god in heaven, he'd send down a rocky bit of said heaven to collide with Uwe.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: