http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 01:18:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Hobbit finds a director  (Read 32911 times)
Sarkus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 15, 2011, 06:32:37 AM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on February 15, 2011, 03:37:02 AM

Quote from: Sarkus on February 14, 2011, 11:27:07 PM

Quote from: TiLT on February 14, 2011, 10:28:57 PM

He really does look old in that video, and it makes me worried about his appearance in The Hobbit. Hopefully they'll make it work somehow.

Yeah, that's not looking like something he's going to be able to pull off.  I guess it's inevitable given how long it's taken for them to get The Hobbit going, but sad.

Why does he need to be in the hobbit? Damn it, I need to re-read the books. I don't remember him making any appearances.

Because they are padding the story by exploring what Gandalf was up to when he was gone during Bilbo's adventures.  That includes Gandalf and the White Council (which is lead by Saruman) leading an attack against Sauron.  So the assumption is that Saruman played an active role in that, something that Lee doesn't seem like he will be quite up to.

While Lee is officially supposed to play Saruman, earlier even he said he wasn't sure he wanted to reprise the role due to the need to travel to New Zealand, though he was interested in doing Smaug's voice.  From what I've read elsewhere it sounds like Lee may not be required to go to New Zealand at all, which is probably a concession to his age and health.  The question is whether they do some body double stuff or if they just make his role smaller.  But it's going to be odd if they portray Gandalf and others fighting Sauron while Saruman isn't around. 

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: February 15, 2011, 10:04:19 AM »

His voice still sounds right, so they could probably use a body double with him doing voiceovers.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 18, 2011, 10:36:34 PM »

i dunno,he was in Star Wars II+III and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory(the films i have seen anyway)since LOTR,and he hadn't looked much different really,although that was 2005

I started to read The Hobbit again last night,remembered about 'Bilbo's Trolls' that you first hear Bilbo talking about to the Hobbit children at his party in 'Fellowship' and then see the actual trolls still petrified* when Frodo has been stabbed by the Mordor blade,so it will be good seeing that and seeing the connection when watching all 5 films together icon_biggrin

*do they use the word petrified in LOTR universe for something being turned to stone,or have i been playing to much Final Fantasy?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2011, 04:37:34 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 18, 2011, 10:36:34 PM

*do they use the word petrified in LOTR universe for something being turned to stone,or have i been playing to much Final Fantasy?

Any Final Fantasy is too much  Tongue icon_wink
And I can't recall 'petrified' ever being used in anything Tolkien related. Think Tolkien always just wrote "turned to stone".

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2011, 04:12:49 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on February 15, 2011, 06:32:37 AM

That includes Gandalf and the White Council (which is lead by Saruman) leading an attack against Sauron. 

Er, is this true to Tolkien? Not that I care much about Tolkien, really, but wasn't Sauron during The Hobbit just kinda lazing around, maybe just starting to build the army?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on February 19, 2011, 04:12:49 PM

That includes Gandalf and the White Council (which is lead by Saruman) leading an attack against Sauron. 

Er, is this true to Tolkien? Not that I care much about Tolkien, really, but wasn't Sauron during The Hobbit just kinda lazing around, maybe just starting to build the army?

according to Wiki:

Sauron finally resurfaced with increased strength in 2460. About the same time, the long-lost Ruling Ring was finally recovered from the River Anduin, found by a hobbit[38] named Déagol. His relative[39] Sméagol killed him for the Ring, and was eventually corrupted into the creature Gollum. Banished by his family, he took the Ring, which he called his "Precious," and hid in the Misty Mountains.

In 2850, Gandalf made a second attempt to spy out Dol Guldur. Stealing into the stronghold, he was finally able to confirm the identity of its lord, later reporting to the White Council of Elves and Wizards that Sauron had returned. Saruman, hoping thereby to acquire the One Ring for himself, dissuaded the Council from acting against him.

Eventually, the Wizards and chief Elves combined to put forth their might, and drove Sauron out of Mirkwood in 2941. During the White Council's delay he had, however, prepared his next move, and was willing to abandon Dol Guldur.

Just before Sauron fled Dol Guldur, the Hobbit Bilbo Baggins, on an improbable adventure with a party of Dwarves, stumbled across the Ring deep within the Misty Mountains. After his quest was over, Bilbo brought the Ring back to Hobbiton in the Shire. Decades later, he passed it on to his heir, Frodo.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 25, 2011, 03:59:20 PM »

I know this isn't the nicest thing to say,seen as though over 100 people are dead,but i wonder if the recent Earthquake in New Zealand has put this production start back again..i am guessing that it has icon_confused...maybe depending on which Island they were to be filming on i guess

Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 25, 2011, 05:38:21 PM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on February 15, 2011, 03:37:02 AM

Quote from: Sarkus on February 14, 2011, 11:27:07 PM

Quote from: TiLT on February 14, 2011, 10:28:57 PM

He really does look old in that video, and it makes me worried about his appearance in The Hobbit. Hopefully they'll make it work somehow.

Yeah, that's not looking like something he's going to be able to pull off.  I guess it's inevitable given how long it's taken for them to get The Hobbit going, but sad.

Why does he need to be in the hobbit? Damn it, I need to re-read the books. I don't remember him making any appearances.

Because they are padding the story by exploring what Gandalf was up to when he was gone during Bilbo's adventures.  That includes Gandalf and the White Council (which is lead by Saruman) leading an attack against Sauron.  So the assumption is that Saruman played an active role in that, something that Lee doesn't seem like he will be quite up to.

While Lee is officially supposed to play Saruman, earlier even he said he wasn't sure he wanted to reprise the role due to the need to travel to New Zealand, though he was interested in doing Smaug's voice.  From what I've read elsewhere it sounds like Lee may not be required to go to New Zealand at all, which is probably a concession to his age and health.  The question is whether they do some body double stuff or if they just make his role smaller.  But it's going to be odd if they portray Gandalf and others fighting Sauron while Saruman isn't around. 

I wasn't sure if they'd touch much on the white council stuff. They've left considerable amounts of content out of the three movies - I could see them leaving that bit out as it's backstory and not 100% crucial to the main telling of the hobbit.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 25, 2011, 05:39:58 PM »

Maybe they'll add in Tom Bombadil with a scene shown after the credits of the second movie are done rolling.

Because I can,
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 25, 2011, 05:44:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 25, 2011, 05:39:58 PM

Maybe they'll add in Tom Bombadil with a scene shown after the credits of the second movie are done rolling.

That'd fit in LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring. He doesn't do anything in The Hobbit!

Also, this was one of the most disappointing omissions for me. Bombadil is one of my favorite characters from Tolkiens library.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 25, 2011, 05:50:58 PM »

At least I didn't add he'd be casting fireballs at goblins  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 25, 2011, 08:04:14 PM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on February 25, 2011, 05:44:50 PM

That'd fit in LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring. He doesn't do anything in The Hobbit!

Also, this was one of the most disappointing omissions for me. Bombadil is one of my favorite characters from Tolkiens library.

I wasn't that fussed about Bombadil,but his wife sounded as though i would of liked to of seen her icon_wink...oh and i would of liked to of seen the Barrow-Wrights...but the 'Burning of the Shire' is still the most disappointing omissions for me,what a great end to the book and a great mini comeback for Saruman..the film ending was limp to say the least

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 25, 2011, 08:10:17 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 25, 2011, 03:59:20 PM

I know this isn't the nicest thing to say,seen as though over 100 people are dead,but i wonder if the recent Earthquake in New Zealand has put this production start back again..i am guessing that it has icon_confused...maybe depending on which Island they were to be filming on i guess

I don't think they've said anything, but another delay would be expensive as many or most of the actors are already in New Zealand.  Wellington, which is where Jackson's main studios are at, was not affected nor was the Hobbiton set area.  They probably plan on doing some filming on the South Island, which is where Christchurch is located, but I don't think they did anything in the immediate area in the first film.  The bigger impact would probably be on behind the scenes stuff, as they used the New Zealand army (and they are obviously busy at the moment) and whatever other services they would have hired from the south island's biggest city.

- American Dad
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: February 25, 2011, 08:18:59 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 25, 2011, 08:04:14 PM

I wasn't that fussed about Bombadil,but his wife sounded as though i would of liked to of seen her icon_wink...oh and i would of liked to of seen the Barrow-Wrights...but the 'Burning of the Shire' is still the most disappointing omissions for me,what a great end to the book and a great mini comeback for Saruman..the film ending was limp to say the least

Meh, I never felt like the Scouring worked very well. The main plot in the story is already over and done with at that point, so these extra two chapters just end up diminishing the climax at Mount Doom. It wasn't even a significant part of the book, just a very small detour at the end, yet I've seen tons of people complain that it was "half of Return of the King", which is nonsense. I realize why Tolkien wrote this part, but I just don't feel like it works very well.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 25, 2011, 09:05:08 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 25, 2011, 08:18:59 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 25, 2011, 08:04:14 PM

Meh, I never felt like the Scouring worked very well. The main plot in the story is already over and done with at that point, so these extra two chapters just end up diminishing the climax at Mount Doom. It wasn't even a significant part of the book, just a very small detour at the end, yet I've seen tons of people complain that it was "half of Return of the King", which is nonsense. I realize why Tolkien wrote this part, but I just don't feel like it works very well.

I missed that part not being in the movie but it is easy to understand why it was not included, especially considering the length of the movie.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 25, 2011, 09:43:05 PM »

They had to make room for the 27 endings somehow.

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 26, 2011, 08:24:49 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 25, 2011, 09:43:05 PM

They had to make room for the 27 endings somehow.

I get why those who'd never read the books might be annoyed by the endless endings, but compared to the book the thing ends comparatively quickly.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 04, 2011, 02:28:18 AM »

OneRing.net has possible titles for the films:

The Hobbit: There and Back Again

The Hobbit: An/The Unexpected Journey

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 04, 2011, 02:51:04 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 04, 2011, 02:28:18 AM

OneRing.net has possible titles for the films:

The Hobbit: There and Back Again

The Hobbit: An/The Unexpected Journey

I approve thumbsup

'An Unexpected Journey' please

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: March 04, 2011, 06:39:39 AM »

If they use those two titles (which I approve of), I'd hope they use them in the opposite order from what you listed, CeeKay.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey followed by The Hobbit: There and Back Again.

The titles make more sense that way.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 04, 2011, 09:05:56 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 04, 2011, 06:39:39 AM

If they use those two titles (which I approve of), I'd hope they use them in the opposite order from what you listed, CeeKay.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey followed by The Hobbit: There and Back Again.

The titles make more sense that way.

yeah, I just cut and pasted them from the link.  they definitely make more sense reversed.

Because I can,
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 21, 2011, 01:48:24 PM »

Filming begins.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 21, 2011, 02:11:27 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on March 21, 2011, 01:48:24 PM

Filming begins.

Cabbage Patch  Headbanging! Juggling! High five! The drink that never ends. The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. dude

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 21, 2011, 04:01:39 PM »

the cast do some posing,it's funny seeing Aiden Turner(Being Human UK) in bottom left with a beard

looking at the cast it's a Who's Who for British TV fans(which i am not really one of..a fan that is)
really depressed to see that James Nesbitt is in it,you guys probably haven't heard of him but he is always in some shitty ITV drama mini series here in the UK,who is very annoying but most British housewives love him Roll Eyes

and as Sarkus said a few pages ago Sylvester McCoy IS playing Radagast the Brown

get this >>>Smaug is rumoured to be voiced by Leonard Nimoy,who i think would be perfect!!!..or maybe he will re-release The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins

Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 21, 2011, 04:49:06 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 21, 2011, 04:01:39 PM

the cast do some posing,it's funny seeing Aiden Turner(Being Human UK) in bottom left with a beard

looking at the cast it's a Who's Who for British TV fans(which i am not really one of..a fan that is)
really depressed to see that James Nesbitt is in it,you guys probably haven't heard of him but he is always in some shitty ITV drama mini series here in the UK,who is very annoying but most British housewives love him Roll Eyes

and as Sarkus said a few pages ago Sylvester McCoy IS playing Radagast the Brown

get this >>>Smaug is rumoured to be voiced by Leonard Nimoy,who i think would be perfect!!!..or maybe he will re-release The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins

Radagast has a really small role in the story, so no huge news there I guess. I like the idea of Leonard Nimoy as Smaug though, I think the voice would fit well.

X360 - Nonnahob

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: March 21, 2011, 05:11:37 PM »

If you dare to visit Facebook, couple small pix of Jackson on the set...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Peter-Jackson/141884481557

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 21, 2011, 06:02:32 PM »

I think the guy playing Bilbo is perfect. I think he will be able to pull the role off nicely. Also Nemoy would be great as Smaug.

I just wonder how they are going to work Frodo into this movie and however they do it I hope they don't destroy the lore. I can see Legolas fitting into the story during the wood elf section, but Frodo seems like a stretch. Unless the movie starts with Bilbo back in the shire telling his story to Frodo.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: March 21, 2011, 06:09:02 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 21, 2011, 06:02:32 PM

I think the guy playing Bilbo is perfect. I think he will be able to pull the role off nicely. Also Nemoy would be great as Smaug.

I just wonder how they are going to work Frodo into this movie and however they do it I hope they don't destroy the lore. I can see Legolas fitting into the story during the wood elf section, but Frodo seems like a stretch. Unless the movie starts with Bilbo back in the shire telling his story to Frodo.

I've said it before, but I can't imagine them doing it any other way than having Frodo be the narrator for the story, reading from Bilbo's memoirs. Perhaps he's entertaining an audience, perhaps not.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 21, 2011, 06:44:48 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 21, 2011, 06:09:02 PM

Quote from: Scraper on March 21, 2011, 06:02:32 PM

I've said it before, but I can't imagine them doing it any other way than having Frodo be the narrator for the story, reading from Bilbo's memoirs. Perhaps he's entertaining an audience, perhaps not.

Spoiler for Hiden:
That's exactly how it's being done.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 22, 2011, 01:14:23 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 21, 2011, 05:11:37 PM

If you dare to visit Facebook, couple small pix of Jackson on the set...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Peter-Jackson/141884481557

OMG, they shrunk Pete!

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: April 15, 2011, 02:26:38 AM »

The first behind the scenes video blog leading up to the first day of filming.  All I can say is that my excitement level is  icon_biggrin icon_surprised icon_biggrin  biggrin

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 15, 2011, 02:28:50 AM »

just about to post this,Bag End and Rivendell look exactly the same,i can't wait for this

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 23, 2011, 02:23:39 PM »

It looks like Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays Sherlock on Sherlock will be joining his Watson in The Hobbit, according to AICN.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 23, 2011, 03:11:09 PM »

I just read The Hobbit last month(i am now half way through The Two Towers),and i am trying to think who he could play,maybe as Bard
Spoiler for Hiden:
the Bowman who killed Samug
...doubtful,but who knows,the character isn't listed on IMDb

looking on IMDb,i have noticed that Stephen Fry is the master of Laketown and Drogo Baggins character is listed(which i think we may of discussed already can't remember)

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 23, 2011, 07:37:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 22, 2011, 01:14:23 AM

OMG, they shrunk Pete!

This recent picture of Jackson is interesting in comparison.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 23, 2011, 09:15:04 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on May 23, 2011, 07:37:37 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 22, 2011, 01:14:23 AM

OMG, they shrunk Pete!

This recent picture of Jackson is interesting in comparison.

OMG, they really did shrink Pete!  icon_lol Tongue

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 28, 2011, 11:35:37 PM »

From Peter Jackson's facebook page:

Ten years ago, Orlando Bloom created an iconic character with his portrayal of Legolas. I'm excited to announce today that we'll be revisiting Middle Earth with him once more. I’m thrilled to be working with Orlando again. Funny thing is, I look older—and he doesn’t! I guess that's why he makes such a wonderful elf.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 29, 2011, 10:18:04 PM »

Peter Jackson has started doing 20 questions on his Facebook page

here is Question 1

he also has a picture up of the White Council attacking Dol Guldor,which PJ describes  
For the first image of Gandalf, Elrond and Galadriel brandishing an array of fearsome Elvish weapons
Spoiler for Hiden:

Tongue

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 23, 2011, 04:12:13 PM »

First pic of Freeman as Bilbo:

Click for link.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 23, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »

nice,you can see how Frodo was related

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: