http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 04:41:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Hangover  (Read 1572 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2009, 03:48:18 AM »

Trailer.  They showed this before Watchmen and the whole theater was rolling.  Maybe this will be one time where all the funny parts are not included in the trailer.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 03:57:03 AM »

Very Bad Things it isn't.  It's going to take more than that trailer to pique my interest.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 04:09:46 AM »

Good to see that Tyson can still get working beating people up.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 05:16:19 AM »

That looks awful.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 04:48:28 PM »

The only part our theater found funny was the scene with Tyson and "In The Air Tonight" playing in the background.  No one was laughing at all during the trailer, until Tyson said, "Wait, this is my favorite part," and he started playing air-drums to the point in the song when its intensity kicks up, and he finished his air-drumming with a right hook right at the cymbal crash taking out one of the hangover victims.  I have to admit that for some reason I found that really funny.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 05:01:17 PM »

man, tough crowd here!  them waking up to the various animals (like the tiger in the bathroom), the 'here's you car officer', the baby getting hit with the car door, 'She's a nice lady!', the trunk ninja capped off by Tyson- how could you go wrong?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 05:46:21 PM »

This looks terrible.  retard
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 06:25:36 PM »

Looks good to me.

LiveTAG: happydog
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 05:51:22 PM »

Initially I thought this movie looked awful but I went and saw it over the weekend and I must say I was pleasantly surprised!  This is honestly one of the funniest movies I have seen in a long time.  I feared the trailer probably showed all the funny parts, I was very wrong.  It's non-stop laughs and I would probably see it again to be honest.  Ed Helms, who plays Andy on The Office, was hilarious as were the other main characters.  It's worth seeing.

Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 05:54:19 PM »

Reviews at RT are pretty much positive (77% at time of post).

Not bad for a comedy.

16-bit and loving it!
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 08:00:16 PM »

Agree completely with Gator above - hilarious movie.  Maybe a bit over the top in parts, but definitely funny as hell from start to finish.  That Zack G guy ("Fat Jesus") is amazing, and the Asian guy really cracked me up.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 08:11:29 PM »

I've seen three positive professional reviews so far, one calling it the sleeper comedy of the summer. Good enough to make my netflix list, anyway. I like buddy movies.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 08:26:38 PM »

How gross is the humor in this one? I don't mind some, but the Apatow movies tend to be a bit beyond my preference and it makes them less enjoyable for me.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 09:14:41 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on June 08, 2009, 08:26:38 PM

How gross is the humor in this one? I don't mind some, but the Apatow movies tend to be a bit beyond my preference and it makes them less enjoyable for me.

If you are grossed out by the Apatow movies then I think you would do well to stay away from this one. I say that only because I have found the Apatow movies to be fairly tame. This one goes up to the edge, teeters a bit, but manages to hold on until the credits (which were probably funnier than the actual movie).

I loved this movie. The more I saw the trailer the more I wanted to see it, and I laughed almost non-stop throughout the entire thing. I couldn't even drink the water I had because I almost spit out the first sip I took from laughing so hard.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 09:46:26 PM »

Hmm, maybe I'll netflix it. I thought the previews looked hillarious, but they seemed pretty tame and I was pretty sure the movie goes a lot further. Plenty of other movies coming out soon for me.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 09:48:41 PM »

If you like these types of movies then I highly recommend it.  Stay for the credits   thumbsup

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 10:03:53 PM »

This movie ruled.

I might go again tonight.

Easily the best comedy of the year so far.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 11:48:30 PM »

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen, absolutely loved it.  I'd say the final third was a little weak, but wrapped things up nicely and was saved by the final credits.

But yes, definitely crude and rude and very nasty, so if you aren't into that kind of humor, you should probably stay away.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 01:38:09 AM »

Loved it.

gellar
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 05:41:57 AM »

I was bored, so I just went again.

Laughed just as hard.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 03:08:44 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 08, 2009, 11:48:30 PM

But yes, definitely crude and rude and very nasty, so if you aren't into that kind of humor, you should probably stay away.

Thanks for the heads up. We loved the trailer, but if it's in the same category as "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" (which may have been the worst 40 minutes of movie I've ever seen), we'll give this a pass.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 05:21:50 PM »

What do tigers dream of?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpOdCWaTsIk
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 06:04:56 PM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on June 09, 2009, 03:08:44 PM

Thanks for the heads up. We loved the trailer, but if it's in the same category as "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" (which may have been the worst 40 minutes of movie I've ever seen), we'll give this a pass.

I think it was actually a lot cruder and ruder than Sarah Marshall actually  icon_cool  However, it was far far funnier, so I don't know if that helps or hurts.  I thought FSS was an OK movie, but it really wasn't very funny.  It was like it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a straight up romcom or a pure comedy.  Knocked Up straddled the line much better IMHO, and ended up being both funnier and sweeter than FSS. 

Side note: that crazy Asian doctor from Knocked up almost steals the show in Hangover.  I read the guy is actually a real medical doctor and was doing standup on the side before he got the break in Knocked Up.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »

How does it compare to Very Bad Things?

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 06:44:23 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 11, 2009, 06:18:04 PM

How does it compare to Very Bad Things?

Bachelor party in Vegas...and that's about it.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 06:55:57 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 11, 2009, 06:04:56 PM

I think it was actually a lot cruder and ruder than Sarah Marshall actually  icon_cool  However, it was far far funnier, so I don't know if that helps or hurts.  I thought FSS was an OK movie, but it really wasn't very funny.  It was like it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a straight up romcom or a pure comedy.  Knocked Up straddled the line much better IMHO, and ended up being both funnier and sweeter than FSS. 

Side note: that crazy Asian doctor from Knocked up almost steals the show in Hangover.  I read the guy is actually a real medical doctor and was doing standup on the side before he got the break in Knocked Up.

Oh, I think Forgetting Sarah Marshall was firmly in the comedy camp, and one of the best movies from last year.

Also, the Asian doctor guy from Knocked Up really doesn't work for me... in anything. He's mildly funny sometimes, but usually he's just overacting really badly.  He was easily the lowpoint of the Hangover.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 08:47:22 PM »

Quote from: kratz on June 11, 2009, 06:55:57 PM

Quote from: rittchard on June 11, 2009, 06:04:56 PM

Oh, I think Forgetting Sarah Marshall was firmly in the comedy camp, and one of the best movies from last year.

Also, the Asian doctor guy from Knocked Up really doesn't work for me... in anything. He's mildly funny sometimes, but usually he's just overacting really badly.  He was easily the lowpoint of the Hangover.

I agree completely. Forgetting Sarah Marshall quickly became one of my favorite movies, and the Asian doctor was too over the top in this film. Not necessarily his role, but his accent. I couldn't take it after awhile, and it started to really bother me. His first appearance in the film though was absolutely hilarious and one of the high points of the film. I just wish they would have ended his role at that, and not let it play out the way it did.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2011, 03:53:46 AM »

Well, I just finished watching it off HBO.  I am ... disappointed.  I expected great things from it with all the love that it gets.  It just failed to live up.  It just seemed like the setups for all the hijinks had a lot of potential and they were just squandered.  It didn't help that I don't find Galifianakis funny in the least.  Ed Helms was pretty good, better than I expected from an Office actor. 

But I have to say that this movie pales in comparison to Very Bad Things.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2011, 04:20:23 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 10, 2011, 03:53:46 AM

Well, I just finished watching it off HBO.  I am ... disappointed.  I expected great things from it with all the love that it gets.  It just failed to live up.  It just seemed like the setups for all the hijinks had a lot of potential and they were just squandered.  It didn't help that I don't find Galifianakis funny in the least.  Ed Helms was pretty good, better than I expected from an Office actor. 

But I have to say that this movie pales in comparison to Very Bad Things.

Very Bad Things wasn't a 'buddy guy comedy' though slywink  I liked it better, but other than crazy things in vegas, I don't think they can even be compared.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: