http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 04:27:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Golden Compass  (Read 1982 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2007, 08:06:24 AM »

so, anyone else see the movie yet?  I got bored Saturday afternoon and went to see it, and I can't decide if I liked it or didn't like it- I feel strangely neutral about it.  It looks like the series has potential, but the pacing seemed off and I also have a feeling I'd appreciate it better if I read the book.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 02:06:13 PM »

Haven't seen the movie though I want to.  I did try to read the first book and just couldn't get into it.  I think I read about 75 pages or so.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 08:21:10 PM »

We saw it Friday night, my wife had read all the books and was pretty excited to check it out. The pacing was definitely a bit off in parts and to me (I haven't read the books) it seemed like it drew elements from just about every other fantasy tale ever told. My wife said that they didn't develop the characters hardly, changed the order of some events, and left off the last couple of chapters of the book. The movie was just under 2 hours long and probably could have used another twenty minutes or so to flesh some things out. Overall though we we did enjoy it for what it was, especially the effects and all the animals.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 10:18:43 PM »

According to the CNN review they filmed the last few chapters but plan to use them later. I am guessing that means on the DVD.

How are the books for an adult? I have a plane ride coming up and need something to read.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 10:40:48 PM »

Apparently this movie bombed so badly that it is going to put New Line back for a bit. 200 million plus marketing that made around 25 million. I wouldn't expect a sequel.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 11:20:12 PM »

Quote from: Lee on December 09, 2007, 10:18:43 PM

According to the CNN review they filmed the last few chapters but plan to use them later. I am guessing that means on the DVD.

How are the books for an adult? I have a plane ride coming up and need something to read.

*If* it gets a sequel then the chopped parts will likely show up there.  It's essential material but was deemed too dark and depressing by New Line- they wanted to end the film on a positive.  Since a sequel is doubtful then it's a possibility to show up on DVD.

The books are excellent for adult reading. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 11:41:29 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 09, 2007, 10:40:48 PM

Apparently this movie bombed so badly that it is going to put New Line back for a bit. 200 million plus marketing that made around 25 million. I wouldn't expect a sequel.

It's only been out a couple days, right?  I know that movies generally make the majority in the first week, but coming up on the Christmas break for kids I would expect higher numbers in a couple weeks.  Not to mention the international crowd, DVDs, etc. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 12:01:06 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 09, 2007, 11:20:12 PM

*If* it gets a sequel then the chopped parts will likely show up there.  It's essential material but was deemed too dark and depressing by New Line- they wanted to end the film on a positive. 

I had heard they chopped off the ending but I didn't read anywhere that that was the reason. It wouldn't surprise me though.  This movie really shouldn't have been made - it sounds like they really did disrespect to the material in the name of money.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 02:56:14 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 09, 2007, 11:41:29 PM

It's only been out a couple days, right?  I know that movies generally make the majority in the first week, but coming up on the Christmas break for kids I would expect higher numbers in a couple weeks.  Not to mention the international crowd, DVDs, etc. 

yeah, I wouldn't call it a bomb until the international numbers are tallied up- they usually eat this stuff up.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 03:46:41 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 10, 2007, 02:56:14 AM

yeah, I wouldn't call it a bomb until the international numbers are tallied up- they usually eat this stuff up.

New Line financed most of the budget by selling off international rights.  They won't see much money at all from its performance overseas. 
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 03:52:31 PM »

I'm going to see this, if for no other reason to piss off all the atheist-haters.  I'm not an atheist, but I just hate those kind of people.

The fact that it is, from what I hear, a really good movie, is a bonus.  I just saw it was the top movie this weekend.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 04:08:01 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 10, 2007, 03:46:41 AM

New Line financed most of the budget by selling off international rights.  They won't see much money at all from its performance overseas. 

wow, that was a fairly rsky (and looking right now like a dumb) move.  $180 million on a relatively unknown property* is kind of ridiculous.

*as compared to Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Narnia.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 04:12:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 10, 2007, 04:08:01 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 10, 2007, 03:46:41 AM

wow, that was a fairly rsky (and looking right now like a dumb) move.  $180 million on a relatively unknown property* is kind of ridiculous.

*as compared to Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Narnia.

Supposedly costs ballooned closer to $250 million, though that may include marketing.

If it does really well internationally then a sequel would still be possible, just with New Line probably not so quick to sell of those rights. 
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 04:40:52 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 10, 2007, 03:52:31 PM

I'm going to see this, if for no other reason to piss off all the atheist-haters.  I'm not an atheist, but I just hate those kind of people.

Yeah!  You show 'em!

*shakes fist in the air*
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 06:29:47 PM »

Glad to hear it. Hope it sucks them into chapter 11. I won't go any farther with my opinion because it will start a religion debate and we know how productive those threads are.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 07:25:40 PM »

I've read about 1/3 of the first book before seeing the movie, and the movie felt very rushed.  It wasn't bad, it just felt rushed.
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 08:19:33 PM »

It's funny, while taking the bus to work I overheard some school kids talking about this movie.  They honestly believed that just by viewing the movie it would magically turn them into atheists.

It's really sad the way adults abuse their relationships with kids and make them believe stupidity like that.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 10:33:53 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 14, 2007, 08:19:33 PM

It's funny, while taking the bus to work I overheard some school kids talking about this movie.  They honestly believed that just by viewing the movie it would magically turn them into atheists.

you should have told them just talking about the movie makes them an Atheist  icon_twisted

Because I can,
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 12:40:57 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 14, 2007, 10:33:53 PM

you should have told them just talking about the movie makes them an Atheist  icon_twisted

You bad person!  saywhat

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007, 12:41:57 AM »

Quote from: PaulBot on December 15, 2007, 12:40:57 AM

You bad person!  saywhat

what can I say?  I got nothing for ya.   Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

Because I can,
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2007, 12:43:34 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 15, 2007, 12:41:57 AM

Quote from: PaulBot on December 15, 2007, 12:40:57 AM

You bad person!  saywhat

what can I say?  I got nothing for ya.   Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

ROFL!!!

unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 03:31:36 AM »

I think the thing which will really piss off the haters is how this movie is going to be a hugely successful Christmas movie.

The first week it was out, it was the #1 movie.  Sure it didn't make as much as Narnia, but everyone's heard of Narnia.  It's had it's own cartoon as well.  But as far as a new property goes, it did really good, and it's pretty much the top "kid movie" at the theatres this season.

If nobody knew the author was an atheist, they would have never made a beef about it.  I never saw them protest the millions of other fictitious fantasy stories which have evil religions as the "bad guys".  But OMG, if the author is an atheist, all of a sudden they have to start accusing the books of being an "attack".

I don't think the crusaders are going to be any more successful in this "battle" than they have in any other.  Like their "war on Harry Potter", for example.  It's too bad they can't be bothered to try ending something meaningful, like a "war on poverty", "war on pollution", or a "war on war".

Oh well.  Whatevs.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007, 06:53:07 AM »

Yes it's number one now, but can it withstand the might of Alvin and the Chipmunks?

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007, 07:36:30 AM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on December 15, 2007, 06:53:07 AM

Yes it's number one now, but can it withstand the might of Alvin and the Chipmunks?

NEVER

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 03:13:07 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on December 15, 2007, 06:53:07 AM

Hmmm... blatant atheist propaganda or bastardization of childhood memories.  Tough call there.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 04:36:35 PM »

I had never heard of The Golden Compass prior to seeing the first trailer for it.  When I look at it, I see a fantasy romp in a world of ancient sailing ships and polar bears wearing armor.  I'm often surprised by the things that highly religious people find terrifying (psychics, Teletubbies, the phrase "Happy Holidays," etc), but this one seems particularly obtuse.

Can someone give me a Cliff's Notes version of how this movie constitutes "blatant atheist propaganda," or is it worth reading for myself?

-Autistic Angel
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2007, 04:50:16 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on December 15, 2007, 04:36:35 PM

I had never heard of The Golden Compass prior to seeing the first trailer for it.  When I look at it, I see a fantasy romp in a world of ancient sailing ships and polar bears wearing armor.  I'm often surprised by the things that highly religious people find terrifying (psychics, Teletubbies, the phrase "Happy Holidays," etc), but this one seems particularly obtuse.

Can someone give me a Cliff's Notes version of how this movie constitutes "blatant atheist propaganda," or is it worth reading for myself?

-Autistic Angel

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2007, 05:19:40 PM »

Quote from: Paulbot

Thanks.  I still don't understand how incidental exposure to alternative viewpoints represents such a critical threat to the beliefs of people who consider themselves the most devout, but at least now I understand how The Golden Compass qualifies as an alternate viewpoint.  If the author himself is indicating there's an anti-religious tack in his writing, it would be pretty hard to argue otherwise! Tongue

Maybe I'll pick this series up so I can make my own judgment after I finish the Harry Potter books.

-Autistic Angel
unbreakable
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2007, 05:53:01 PM »

It's the exact same reasoning which causes religious people to fear "teh ghaez".  Their (sexual identity)/(religious beliefs)/(whatever) cannot survive any kind of confrontation, thus they need to demonize it, lest they... gasp!... give in to "teh temptation".

IMO, atheism wins just because you can sit around all day on Sunday and play Guitar Hero or World of Warcraft.  Or both, if you are all into hedonism.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2007, 10:09:30 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 15, 2007, 03:31:36 AM

The first week it was out, it was the #1 movie.  Sure it didn't make as much as Narnia, but everyone's heard of Narnia.  It's had it's own cartoon as well.  But as far as a new property goes, it did really good, and it's pretty much the top "kid movie" at the theatres this season.

Actually it hasn't done well at all.  The movie cost over $200 million to make (both Sam Elliot and Chris Weitz evidently confirmed final budget of about $250 million), so a sub $30 million opening weekend isn't good.  However the worse news is that it plummeted a catostrophic 70% firiday over friday and probably won't even clear $100 million domestic.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2007, 10:34:55 PM »

I still don't understand how incidental exposure to alternative viewpoints represents such a critical threat to the beliefs of people who consider themselves the most devout
It's not a threat to people mature enough who have already developed their beliefs. 

But children (yes, yes, "won't somebody think of the children") are highly impressionable, and it's very difficult for even the best parents to complete with the glitz and appeal of the multi-billion dollar marketing machine behind movies such as The Golden Compass.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2007, 10:49:18 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 15, 2007, 10:09:30 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on December 15, 2007, 03:31:36 AM

Actually it hasn't done well at all.  The movie cost over $200 million to make (both Sam Elliot and Chris Weitz evidently confirmed final budget of about $250 million), so a sub $30 million opening weekend isn't good.  However the worse news is that it plummeted a catostrophic 70% firiday over friday and probably won't even clear $100 million domestic.
3.9 million Friday. Complete and utter bomb confirmed. Even good overseas opening is only around 51 million total. Its a complete and utter failure of tremendous proportions.
unbreakable
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2007, 11:15:19 PM »

Yeah, and last time they were knocking it's opening day, and it made $100 Million.

If a movie can break even at the box office, it can make profit in DVD sales.  Now of course it's nice to make a huge box, but not 100% necessary.  Heck, Ben Affleck can't even make a successful film, and they keep hiring him.

I think it's pretty hard to judge any film's showing in the box office until after the holiday season.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2007, 11:44:21 PM »

Quote from: Laner on December 15, 2007, 10:34:55 PM

I still don't understand how incidental exposure to alternative viewpoints represents such a critical threat to the beliefs of people who consider themselves the most devout
It's not a threat to people mature enough who have already developed their beliefs. 

But children (yes, yes, "won't somebody think of the children") are highly impressionable, and it's very difficult for even the best parents to complete with the glitz and appeal of the multi-billion dollar marketing machine behind movies such as The Golden Compass.

Riiiight, unlike Narnia, church, Sunday School and Christmas and every other attempt to brainwash those little "highly impressionable" minds.  I would much rather impress upon children to just treat people fairly and use their minds to examine the world at large instead of trying to indoctrinate them into some narrow view based on morality tales and tell them it's absolute truth. 

I'm not saying that Christianity doesn't preach some good values, but I think that organized religion as a whole is pretty much a joke and very few of the so-called "Christians" live as they preach.  Just because you go to church on Sunday and recite the same crap by rote memory that doesn't make you a good person or better than others.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
unbreakable
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2007, 12:02:47 AM »

Here's kind of why I say looking at the amount of money it took in can be misleading:

Box Office Totals for the Weekend of

December 7th, 2007

#1 The Golden Compass
Gross $26.125 M

#2 Enchanted
Gross $10.706 M

#3 This Christmas
Gross $5.000 M

#4 Fred Claus
Gross $4.660 M

#5 Beowulf
Gross $4.400 M

So as you can see, Golden Compass was not only #1, but they were #1 by a very wide margin.  But the problem wasn't that people are avoiding the movie (as it's critics are claiming), but rather that it's a weak week for movie sales in general.  As far as a piece of the pie(chart) goes, Golden Compass made more than the rest of the top five, combined!  That doesn't look like failure to me.

And maybe that's to be expected?  Most families are busy Christmas shopping, kids are finishing up school for the semester, they have to plan for their holiday party, parents may have extra work for end-of-the-year stuff, etc.  So it just doesn't seem like a good time overall to go see a movie.  It really seems like they released when they did just so it was out there, people would know about it, and plan to go see it when they have time (like long holiday weekend).
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2007, 01:49:22 AM »

Unbreakable do you regularly follow the box office?  Because I do and it really isn't doing well at all.  Yes, before I Am Legend's record debut yesterday the BO was in a slump.  However the fact that there was a slump doesn't magically make Golden Compass's quarter billion dollar budget less.  Grossing $15 million more than Enchanted isn't impressive considering that it was Enchanted's third week of release. The rest of the movies in the top five had been out for just as long or longer. Movie studios only get back approximately fifty percent of the box office revenue so even if it makes it to $100 million, that only puts $50 million in New Line's bank.  Further legs can generally be determined by it's second weekend totals.  "Good" legs is generally indicated by a Friday to Friday drop of no more than 30-40%.  70% is a catostrophic drop and is indicative of poor word of mouth.

Could things stabilize a little bit over the Christmas break?  Of course and the movie may limp to a $120 million if it's enormously lucky but that still only gives New Line a $60 million return.  International may be much better but New Line is getting zero back from most territories because they sold most of the international rights away to help with the budget before it went way over-budget.

Take a look at almost any source that follows the movie industry- Golden Compass is definitely a big disappointment. 

I've got nothing against the movie- I haven't seen it but I'm a big fan of the books so I would like for GC to do well so that we could get the sequels which Weitz had stated would be a little bit truer to the the source material. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2007, 02:21:47 AM »

According to the estimates GC did 2.63 million on Friday- Alvin and Legend blew it away big time.

Because I can,
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2007, 03:17:49 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 15, 2007, 11:44:21 PM

Quote from: Laner on December 15, 2007, 10:34:55 PM

Riiiight, unlike Narnia, church, Sunday School and Christmas and every other attempt to brainwash those little "highly impressionable" minds.  I would much rather impress upon children to just treat people fairly and use their minds to examine the world at large instead of trying to indoctrinate them into some narrow view based on morality tales and tell them it's absolute truth. 

I'm not saying that Christianity doesn't preach some good values, but I think that organized religion as a whole is pretty much a joke and very few of the so-called "Christians" live as they preach.  Just because you go to church on Sunday and recite the same crap by rote memory that doesn't make you a good person or better than others.
Wow.. stereotype much?

But your bitterness towards organized religion aside, the *point* is, the author of The Golden Compass has said, numerous times that he wants to be the anti-Lewis, that he wants to kill Christianity, etc. 

I see absolutely no problem with people who disagree with his viewpoints to let others know what his fairly obvious agenda is (particularly with the third book in the series) - which is pretty much what I have observed.  No one is throwing a hissy fit or calling for Thomas whatshisname's head - even Focus on the Family is simply saying "here are the facts, if you're concerned with this, don't go see it".

If you don't like Narnia or whatever, don't go see it, and feel free to tell others that C.S. Lewis was a Christian and that Aslan is more or less Jesus, etc.  I doubt anyone will complain.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 03:27:22 AM by Laner » Logged
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2007, 06:28:49 PM »

I saw the film the other day and didn't think they did the books much justice. The pacing was way too fast in some areas and they seemed to leave out a lot of the dialogue that built the characters in favor of action/special effects. I didn't quite see where the $200m went in to the film. There were a lot of special effects but I've seen other movies with about the same amount that cost far less.

I do have to say they did a good job with the polar bear fight. Usually CG creature battles are pretty lame but they got enough through that you actually cared about the outcome.

I'm mixed on if I want them to continue making the movies. The second book was my favorite and I could hardly put it down. But after the lackluster first movie I'd hate to see them water that one down too in favor of action/special effects.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2007, 06:33:14 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on December 16, 2007, 06:28:49 PM

I do have to say they did a good job with the polar bear fight. Usually CG creature battles are pretty lame but they got enough through that you actually cared about the outcome.

the end of that fight sure was jaw dropping  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: