http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:39:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Future of GameStop  (Read 847 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2010, 06:46:02 PM »

Dallas Morning News

The most striking new element is the digital kiosk.  GameStop president Tony Bartel walked me through the touchscreen device, which will basically make sure shoppers are aware of every single piece of additional downloadable content available for games they want to buy.  The kiosks are now in about 1,700 stores, and will eventually be rolled out to all 4,400-plus stores in the U.S.

So if you scan the bar code on a Modern Warfare 2 box, for example, in addition to a description and video trailer, you'll also see a menu of the various downloadable map packs, etc., that are sold separately as digital downloads.  You can then either pick up a card hanging on a rack next to the kiosk for that specific piece of DLC or, when you get to the register with your boxed copy of the main game, the cashier will ask if you want to go ahead and buy the DLC.

One of the advantages of purchasing in-store as opposed to through Xbox Live is that you can just spend the exact amount required for the DLC, whereas Microsoft requires you to buy blocks of points that often don't match up with the price of the content you want. So a lot of times you're forced to buy more points than you really need. But in a GameStop, if the DLC costs $9.99, you can pay $9.99.  If you do buy the DLC in a store, you're given a specific code you can input into your console when you get home. That way you don't have hunt through the in-game menus or the Xbox Live marketplace for the DLC. Just enter your code and the download begins.
I also got a look at the new PowerUp Rewards loyalty card and program that GameStop is rolling out (it should be going live in the Dallas area on September 22).  The cards will also be scannable at the kiosks, and will not only give you access to in-store discounts, but let you make DLC purchases, track your buying and trading activity, and basically create sort of a crude social networking tool.

Having a ringside seat for Blockbuster and GameStop certainly makes for some interesting local news articles.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:09:08 PM »

I have to pay tax on the DLC when I buy it at Gamestop. I don't have to when I buy it on xbox live. Therefore gamestop fails.

But in a GameStop, if the DLC costs $9.99, you can pay $9.99.

But in xbox, if the DLC costs $9.99 I can pay $9.99 get 800 points and then buy the DLC and have a leftover of 0 points. And not pay tax.

I really hate how this is basically a gamestop advertisement marketed as a news article.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 07:10:54 PM by DragonFyre » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:10:05 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on September 23, 2010, 07:09:08 PM

I have to pay tax on the DLC when I buy it at Gamestop. I don't have to when I buy it on xbox live. Therefore gamestop fails.

But in xbox, if the DLC costs $9.99 I can pay $9.99 get 800 points and then buy the DLC and have a leftover of 0 points. And not pay tax.

you really need to be in the terabyte range to comfortably store more than a dozen or so games.

12 games at 5gb each = 60gb.

I could have sworn MS charges tax for purchases.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 07:12:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 23, 2010, 07:10:05 PM

Quote from: DragonFyre on September 23, 2010, 07:09:08 PM

you really need to be in the terabyte range to comfortably store more than a dozen or so games.

12 games at 5gb each = 60gb.

I could have sworn MS charges tax for purchases.

I don't believe I'm charged tax on xbox points purchases in missouri. I could be way wrong.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 07:13:50 PM »

Except now that I go back I see that I am charged tax.

I = fail.  icon_eek
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 07:14:27 PM »

It's still an advertisement parading as a news article for gamestop.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 07:19:31 PM »

IF I can go to gamestop and sidestep MS points I will.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 07:28:19 PM »

GameStop is based out of Dallas, as is Blockbuster.  There are plenty of stories that are devoted to one company in any number of cities.  The story is covering a pioneering new way to do business that also touches on XBox functionality.  I fail to see how this article is any more an advertisement for the company than articles from TechCrunch or cnet about emerging technologies in the marketplace.

Here's the reporter's blog feed so you can take a look at what else he's covering, including the Blockbuster bankruptcy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 07:30:00 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 07:36:43 PM »

Yet another thing for them to pressure me about.  Great.

I have seen the digital kiosks, and they're pretty slick.  I didn't know it would tell you about DLC, though.

Looks like they're setting up for the inevitable fall of disc-based games.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 07:37:05 PM »

I just want to thank all the gamers out there who buy DLC.  Thank you for not taking a stand and saying, I already paid full price for a game, I shouldn't have to buy minor updates/items/map packs to get the full experience of the game.  Thank you all for legitimizing this business.  In the near future, we'll be paying full price for a 40% of the game, and will have to spend even more money to get the rest of it. 

I
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 07:39:55 PM »

Quote from: naednek
I

....?

Oh my god.  They got him!  The got Kenny!

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 07:43:10 PM »

You glorious bastards!

Because I can,
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 08:16:22 PM »

Quote from: naednek on September 23, 2010, 07:37:05 PM

I just want to thank all the gamers out there who buy DLC.  Thank you for not taking a stand and saying, I already paid full price for a game, I shouldn't have to buy minor updates/items/map packs to get the full experience of the game.  Thank you all for legitimizing this business.  In the near future, we'll be paying full price for a 40% of the game, and will have to spend even more money to get the rest of it. 

This seems like a funny thing to thank people for.   icon_confused

Personally, I've never bought any DLC for games that I didn't already have the "full experience of".  For example, I enjoyed Bioshock 2 a great deal and certainly don't feel ripped off because Minerva's Den wasn't part of the original release.  I'm excited to spend some points and have some more BS2 to play.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 08:54:03 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on September 23, 2010, 08:16:22 PM

Personally, I've never bought any DLC for games that I didn't already have the "full experience of".  For example, I enjoyed Bioshock 2 a great deal and certainly don't feel ripped off because Minerva's Den wasn't part of the original release.  I'm excited to spend some points and have some more BS2 to play.

Sarcasm detector fail.  smile
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 08:54:49 PM »

I

Just like starcraft 2!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 09:18:03 PM »

Quote from: theohall on September 23, 2010, 08:54:03 PM

Quote from: Mithridates on September 23, 2010, 08:16:22 PM

Sarcasm detector fail.  smile

I didn't read any sarcasm there either, just bitterness and stubborness slywink
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 09:59:54 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 23, 2010, 06:46:02 PM

One of the advantages of purchasing in-store as opposed to through Xbox Live is that you can just spend the exact amount required for the DLC, whereas Microsoft requires you to buy blocks of points that often don't match up with the price of the content you want.

Hala-freaking-luja.  I hate spending for extra points.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 10:26:48 PM »

Oh Hallelujah for the day we're all standing in multiple lines at digital kiosks for every freaking consumer purchase. What a glorious day that shall be!  *Fist Shaking*

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 10:28:12 PM »

aaaaah me starts to smell the reason i can no longer buy arcade games on that one particular shopping site, perhaps?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 10:30:30 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 23, 2010, 10:26:48 PM

Oh Hallelujah for the day we're all standing in multiple lines at digital kiosks for every freaking consumer purchase. What a glorious day that shall be!  *Fist Shaking*

They're already doing exactly that at my local Jack in the Box.  The first time, I got two free tacos out of the deal.  As that is no longer an incentive for me to stand there punching buttons, I will be making the low-paid counter jockey punch his buttons for me.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 11:27:29 PM »

Bitter? yes, stubbornness? Not sure what you mean by it.  I just hate the idea of it.  It's just a new way to make money for something they paid for. Why not just make a bigger effort and either include it the game or make a decent expansion pack, instead of nickel and dimeing us. 

Starcraft 2 is a different beast.  It would have been different it was some short badly presented game, but that wasn't the case.  It just as big as the original with just one race shown, and just as big as their competion if not bigger.  I'd rather have a focused 25 mission game than a lousy thrown together 75 mission game.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 11:58:42 PM »

People still shop at Gamestop? 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 03:26:28 AM »

Quote from: naednek on September 23, 2010, 11:27:29 PM

Bitter? yes, stubbornness? Not sure what you mean by it.  I just hate the idea of it.  It's just a new way to make money for something they paid for. Why not just make a bigger effort and either include it the game or make a decent expansion pack, instead of nickel and dimeing us.  

Starcraft 2 is a different beast.  It would have been different it was some short badly presented game, but that wasn't the case.  It just as big as the original with just one race shown, and just as big as their competion if not bigger.  I'd rather have a focused 25 mission game than a lousy thrown together 75 mission game.

But wasn't Bioshock 2 a complete game?  I haven't played Minerva's Den yet, but I hear it's very good.  It's currently @ $10.  Would you rather they have padded it with filler and asked you to pay $40 for it on disc?

I get where you're coming from, of course.  There are plenty who abuse the system.  But it's not all bad.  You're throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

And you're welcome.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 04:15:38 AM »

You can thank all the people who whined about the horsearmor then bought it anyway. Instantly justified it to the entire industry. I loved Mafia II top to bottom and really want the experience to continue, but I'm not paying north of $80 for the game ($60+all the money for all the DLC). I bought the game once. I'm not buying miniupdates, kthxbye.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 07:04:11 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 23, 2010, 11:58:42 PM

People still shop at Gamestop? 

occasionally.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 07:15:57 AM »

Quote from: naednek on September 23, 2010, 11:27:29 PM

Bitter? yes, stubbornness? Not sure what you mean by it.  I just hate the idea of it.  It's just a new way to make money for something they paid for. Why not just make a bigger effort and either include it the game or make a decent expansion pack, instead of nickel and dimeing us. 

Starcraft 2 is a different beast.  It would have been different it was some short badly presented game, but that wasn't the case.  It just as big as the original with just one race shown, and just as big as their competion if not bigger.  I'd rather have a focused 25 mission game than a lousy thrown together 75 mission game.

I dont agree with you on the whole DLC thing. I've bought DLC for a few games, games that I already felt were more than finished. Games like Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption and Dragon Age were more than finished games.

In thier cases, DLC is a means to keep making content for the world people enjoy to spend time in, without having to make a sequel and the expected new engine and all that comes with that.

I

A new one
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 12:32:11 PM »

I think we can all thank Rock Band for legitimizing DLC as a business model.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 02:08:49 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on September 24, 2010, 12:32:11 PM

I think we can all thank Rock Band for legitimizing DLC as a business model.

thank you Chaz!  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: