http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 12:24:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Exorcism of Emily's Audience  (Read 1152 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2005, 04:06:23 AM »

So FH and I check out "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" tonight and both really like it. The exorcism sequence itself, I think, actually bests the only true comparison, and that's the final battle itself from "The Exorcist." But if I had a cross and was a holy man myself, I would have turned the Wrath of Godâ„¢ on the audience itself.

Good Lord, what is it about modern audiences doing one or all of the following while at a movie theater? 1) keeping their cell phones on so they can answer and talk on them while in a movie theater surrounded by people who paid to see a movie and not listen to them gab on the phone; 2) people who bring children 10 and younger to a film that is by no means appropriate for them, but the adults want to see it so they drag their kids while telling them "just look away if it gets too scary"; 3) shouting back at the movie screen when something really sudden or very intense or both happens; 4) people laughing immediately after something scary to try and diffuse the tension

Fuck all of you. May you all bleed out and die horribly you ignorant assholes.

In case you've not heard, during the Telluride Film Festival, an ordinance was passed that made movie theaters "sacred places" wherein you could neither talk on your phone, talk out during the film, or basically be an asshole just like all the people FH and I saw the movie with tonight. Apparently, some of the violators of said ordinance were fairly high and mighty celebrities who were offended when ushers were right in their faces demanding that they respect "the sacred place" by shutting the fuck up.

To those celebrities - STFU.

This is an ordinance that needs to be passed in every city in America. If you do not respect it and respect other people who paid to watch the film in the theater, then your ass will be thrown out into the street with no refund. Hollywood wonders why people aren't going to theaters as much as they used to, and tonight I have verification of one reason among many. Laugh when it's funny, cry out if it's scary, but otherwise you need to STFU.

Oh yeah, the movie itself was a solid B+ in my book. The build-up was beyond intense, I liked how they at least tried to look at both sides of it equally, and the exorcism itself was a textbook example of how stereo sound can be used to scare the crap out of the audience. This is one of those moments that sound affeciandos will use in the future to test their home theater systems.

Good movie that I heartily recommend waiting at least two more weeks before checking out. Let the fools thin out, then go see it with someone who enjoys a movie that will make them think and make them jump out of their chair.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 04:53:28 AM »

Yeah, a crowd can really ruin a movie, can't they?  At the same time, they can make the experience better...

I live in a town on the border of Idaho and when I saw "Napoleon Dynamite" in theatres, man, it was quite the experience.  I don't think I've heard so much laughing in my life.  People were quoting it at the beginning - it was a really fun time.

But then once, at a "Kill Bill" showing, the audience was so incredibly rude.  
And I really have to force myself to watch scary movies in theatres for the very reasons you listed.  Talk about a mood-killer when a "Big Pimpin" ringtone goes off during an incredibly tense sense.  ARGH!

TheMissingLink on PSN
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 05:01:43 AM »

Two of the best experiences in a theater ever involved audience participation. The first was in high school when a local (sadly defunct) theater showed all three unaltered Star Wars movies back-to-back-to-back and the audience cheered whenever main characters showed up, laughed loudly at all the jokes, and in general went nuts for it. The sound of applause depended on the character on screen, Vader and Solo, for example, got the loudest applause. The second was at the same theater when a Fireball and I took a former girlfriend of his to a midnight screening of Aliens, sat dead center in the packed theater, and she was the only one who had never seen it in the entire audience. She was freaking out the whole time and the audience was so into the movie it was great. Both times it was a communal experience, i.e. exactly what I want when I go to a theater for a film everyone has seen.

But in both cases people were enjoying the movie and enjoying sharing it with each other, not pretending they were home alone doing other crap while watching the flick. I think that's the difference in attitudes now, that a lot of people seem to think they're entitled to do whatever and say whatever they want in a theater because they paid for it, and they need not respect anyone else in the crowd. Sad, really.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 06:22:03 AM »

I hate people at movies.I mean I really do. I want to go by myself. There is always some incredibly annoying, obnoxious, vile, foul, inconsiderate, disrespectful asshole to ruin it for you, or do just enough to preoccupy you. Usually its many of those types at the same time.

Oh, saw Lord of War tonight. It was abysmal. Embarassing. Deserves its own thread.
karapcik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 09:42:00 AM »

Sorry to hear that the crowd caused a bad time. Although I haven't been to a movie in years (kids) I'd suspect I'd find the same things going on around here.

I almost feel it is sometimes worth it to hit a matinee mid-week. Then you get a hard core audience that is truly interested in the showing (or no audience at all). The only problem is that you don't get an audience reaction.

People also sneak their lunches in for matinees - I still associate "The Crying Game" with the smell of tuna.  Weird, huh?
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 11:58:42 AM »

I wish they would bring back drive in movies.

Ye Olde Farte
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 12:26:47 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"

Might wanna check out this site:

http://www.driveinmovie.com/mainmenu.htm

There are a couple within driving distance of me - haven't actually been to either one though.
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 06:00:42 PM »

Driving from Houston to Dallas last month we saw a couple of Drive-in Screens from the road and freaked.  Don't remember which town it was, but it was fairly close to Big D.

Rhino

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 06:37:57 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
So FH and I check out "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" tonight and both really like it. The exorcism sequence itself, I think, actually bests the only true comparison, and that's the final battle itself from "The Exorcist." But if I had a cross and was a holy man myself, I would have turned the Wrath of Godâ„¢ on the audience itself.

Good Lord, what is it about modern audiences doing one or all of the following while at a movie theater? 1) keeping their cell phones on so they can answer and talk on them while in a movie theater surrounded by people who paid to see a movie and not listen to them gab on the phone; 2) people who bring children 10 and younger to a film that is by no means appropriate for them, but the adults want to see it so they drag their kids while telling them "just look away if it gets too scary"; 3) shouting back at the movie screen when something really sudden or very intense or both happens; 4) people laughing immediately after something scary to try and diffuse the tension

Fuck all of you. May you all bleed out and die horribly you ignorant assholes.

In case you've not heard, during the Telluride Film Festival, an ordinance was passed that made movie theaters "sacred places" wherein you could neither talk on your phone, talk out during the film, or basically be an asshole just like all the people FH and I saw the movie with tonight. Apparently, some of the violators of said ordinance were fairly high and mighty celebrities who were offended when ushers were right in their faces demanding that they respect "the sacred place" by shutting the fuck up.

To those celebrities - STFU.

This is an ordinance that needs to be passed in every city in America. If you do not respect it and respect other people who paid to watch the film in the theater, then your ass will be thrown out into the street with no refund. Hollywood wonders why people aren't going to theaters as much as they used to, and tonight I have verification of one reason among many. Laugh when it's funny, cry out if it's scary, but otherwise you need to STFU.

Oh yeah, the movie itself was a solid B+ in my book. The build-up was beyond intense, I liked how they at least tried to look at both sides of it equally, and the exorcism itself was a textbook example of how stereo sound can be used to scare the crap out of the audience. This is one of those moments that sound affeciandos will use in the future to test their home theater systems.

Good movie that I heartily recommend waiting at least two more weeks before checking out. Let the fools thin out, then go see it with someone who enjoys a movie that will make them think and make them jump out of their chair.

And movie studios are wondering why box office #'s have been going down...

I'll just watch everything on my 56" Widescreen setup, thank you very much.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 09:00:25 PM »

Went and saw Cry_Wolf this weekend.  The movie was meh but let me tell you...the little teenie bitches up front and behind who came in making all sorts of goddamned racket 5 minutes into the movie were really pissing me off.  I finally had enough and went and got a manager who promptly advised them that if they spoke another word it would be time for them to leave.  (give that man a raise) I swear to God...if ever there was a place that I'll go into shellshock and murder everyone in the room, its at a movie theater.  Every time the killer would show up it'd be just like that scene in Scary Movie (don't remember which one). They'd yell "OH hell no!  He's right behind you!! HE'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU! RUUUUN!"  By the second wave of this it was everything I had not to just whip a bag of popcorn into the back of their heads.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 12:30:36 AM »

Quote from: "Rhinohelix"
Driving from Houston to Dallas last month we saw a couple of Drive-in Screens from the road and freaked.  Don't remember which town it was, but it was fairly close to Big D.

Rhino

It's in Ennis.  Keep meaning to propose a road-trip to the gang, but keep forgetting.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 12:38:07 AM »

I don't mind that kind of thing when the movie involved invites it.  What I mean is, a slasher movie is gonna attract teens, and their associated behaviors. That's just the way it is.

What I hate is inappropriate audiences ruining it.  For the last rerelease of The Exorcist, an ENTIRE family was in the theater.   This means from baby on up through toddler then to preschool and elementary school.  The baby cried...alot.  WTF were mom and dad thinking?  I don't know, but I saw them in the lobby after the movie and the term 'slack jawed yokel' might  have been inspired by them.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 01:15:32 AM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"

www.fieldofscenes.biz

This place is about 15 minutes away from where I live.  I went there with my girlfriend to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and part of Batman Beyond.  I was really glad that I went.

We had some bad storms last Tuesday, and part of the fence and the screen was damaged pretty badly.  It's worth checking out the site just to see the damage.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 03:10:58 AM »

I like the last bottom right picture on their page. smile

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 05:08:14 PM »

Saw The Exorcism of Emily Rose on openning day and lucky for me we had the best seats in the theatre(upper level, first row) So we only had people behind us, and they didnt seem to make any noise, or maybe the audio from the movie was so loud I couldnt hear them.

I thought the movie was pretty crappy myself and I wouldnt buy it, or see it again.

There was only two scenes in the entire movie, the court and Emily flipping around going crazy.

I didnt think the movie was very scarrey, visually, but the audio was extremely loud and everytime something happened it rang in my ears for 5 minutes, and that kind of scared me.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: