http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 02:47:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The end of the MIR?  (Read 765 times)
unbreakable
« on: January 28, 2006, 11:13:04 PM »

Best Buy Eliminates Mail-In Rebates On Laptops

Retailer Best Buy said this week that it will electronically process rebates for notebook PCs and PC accessories, eliminating the mail-in rebate.

The two-year process, begin in April 2005, is already in place with some desktop PCs. Since the beginning of 2006, the policy has been categorically extended to all notebook computers sold by Best Buy, and will be extended to computer accessories in early February. For now, however, the electronic rebate program for laptops will apply just to rebates Best Buy itself offers, and not third-party suppliers.

"We realized that mail-in rebates were a source of frustration with consumers, and something worth taking on," said Brian Lucas, a spokesman with the Minneapolis, Minn. retailer. The two-year process has necessitated explaining and working with vendors, and implementing a back-end IT process to handle the flow of rebates, he said.

By the end of the two years, the retailer hopes to eliminate all mail-in rebates within its store, Lucas said.

The headline should actually specify they are working on eliminating them, not that it's a fiat accompli.  But hey, I'm not the copy editor.
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 11:33:05 PM »

This is fantastic. Electronic rebates is the only way this should be done.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 12:09:01 AM »

they should just give us the lowest price period, and not have to worry about rebates at all.  But that's wishful thinking smile
Hapfloyde
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 01:10:13 AM »

Didn't that thing crash a couple years ago... What?  Oh, never mind.

Ha, ha, ha. You have struck Hercules!
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 06:29:21 AM »

I refuse to buy anything with the MIR attached.   thumbsup

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 07:12:07 AM »

Quote from: "Hapfloyde"
Didn't that thing crash a couple years ago... What?  Oh, never mind.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who immediately went there instead of "Mail-in-Rebates."

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 02:02:02 PM »

I'll be happy well Dell gets rid of mail in rebates. Those piss me off. So stupid.
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 08:29:57 PM »

Yeah, I always thought that was pretty dumb too.  They are both the retailer AND the manufacturer.  So why the hell do they need mail in rebates?

I've always considered the MIR to be a short-term loan, one which the lender has to jump through hoops and have the possibility of not being paid back.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 08:39:19 PM »

I really dislike mail-in rebates.  There's been a couple times where I tossed the UPC code or  receipt by mistake to send in and it usually takes so long, I forget what the rebate was for by the time I get the check.

I always figured it was a plan on the part of the rebate giver to make it difficult as possible in hopes some people would just forget or not want to go through all the steps.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: