http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 01:26:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Dyatlov Pass Incident  (Read 1335 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2008, 05:30:53 PM »

This is a neat read that was in the local paper today.  It's from a mysterious event that occurred in Russia in the 50s and was never properly solved.

Try this link:

http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/morford/

should only work for a day or so and then I'll see if it can be updated.  This is the OG article from sfgate.com where I found the link the the st pete's times article
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 05:36:43 PM by leo8877 » Logged
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 05:33:13 PM »

The link doesn't work... a further part of the coverup!  eek
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 05:36:59 PM »

Updated with a new link to try.  They're on to me!!

EDIT:  Weird the st pete's times article link doesn't work from the sfgate article either.  Mother Russia doesn't want us to know!
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 06:30:38 PM »

More stuff here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_pass_accident

I think they saw/heard something they shouldn't have, and Mother Russia responded with rifle butts and cutlery.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 06:47:56 PM »

Very cool and interesting.  For some reason it reminds me of the awesome Tim Powers novel Declare
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 08:36:47 PM »

That story is fascinating.  One problem, though, is that it was three weeks from when the incident occurred and when anyone discovered them, not to mention a few more months before the damaged bodies were found.  That alone means some evidence was probably lost.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 09:16:27 PM »

Very interesting stuff. Crushed bones with no surface damage? Odd.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 11:57:17 PM »

I like the avalanche theory myself. But that doesn't fully explain the injuries.
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 12:09:43 AM »

Very Cool find & linkage leo - had never heard of this one before.... thnx for sharing!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 12:32:42 AM »

I blame Ike.  I bet he ate her tongue.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 01:20:13 AM »

Quote from: Old Negus on February 27, 2008, 11:57:17 PM

I like the avalanche theory myself. But that doesn't fully explain the injuries.

That's the problem with the investigators getting there so late.  If there was an avalanche, the evidence of it was apparently gone since the official investigation doesn't really seem to have considered that likely.  Also, you would think the closer victims would have as much or more evidence of injury, not the ones found the farthest away.  And yet it's the close ones who were found near the evidence of a fire.

Edit: nor does that theory explain the radiation issue, the governments decision to close the area off for two years, or the military's refusal to take the bodies out by helicopter.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 01:21:55 AM by Sarkus » Logged

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 01:54:48 AM »

I guess it's the fact that the tents were ripped open from the inside in a hurry. Everything else is very strange indeed. I say they should exhume the bodies and do some testin'. There'd probably still be radiation, yeah?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 05:00:15 AM »

Quote from: Old Negus on February 28, 2008, 01:54:48 AM

I guess it's the fact that the tents were ripped open from the inside in a hurry. Everything else is very strange indeed. I say they should exhume the bodies and do some testin'. There'd probably still be radiation, yeah?

they probably walked off on their own after they were buried  ninja

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 03:02:21 PM »

Sounds like an xfiles episode. I remember flipping through the channels on the tv one night and saw part of a show about cattle mutilations in the southwest. Of course, there were the UFO folks who said it was a govt conspiracy and alien research type things. There was one vet that they interviewed that said scavenger animals will eat the tongues and *cringe* the genitals of dead animals first. That may explain the missing tongue on the skier.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 02:55:53 AM »

The people without injuries were the ones who ran off and were coming back when they died of hypothermia.
Meaning they were running from something.  MY guess is it was something like an avalanche.  Which doesnt cover all the bases.  However, it might not have been a huge one, just big enough.  Once they were frozen solid, more damage could have been done via weight.

No one theory will explain it, but you have to account for:

1) Why people would run for the trees, without proper attire.
2) What would cause damage to the people who didnt get out of the campground
3) What could have happened after they all died.

My guess is something bad was coming as such it was either run and possibly die, or stay and die.  What else would be up there thats that dangerous?  Polar bears/UFO's? smile  I assume it was mountain/snow related.
Whatever they ran from did a number on the misfits in camp.  Or something happened after they died, since no one else was nearby.
anyone who run froze to death on the way back to get more clothing/etc.

Orrrrrrrrr.....

Something happened, like a gas cloud of CO2 came through (Or some kinda serious cold front?) that killed people in short order.   The people in the tent ran, holding thier breaths or looking for some kinda solace further down the mountain.... Bah.. I'ma just say the simpsons are to blame, just dont know how yet smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 02:21:20 PM »

Quote from: Semaj on March 03, 2008, 02:55:53 AM

The people without injuries were the ones who ran off and were coming back when they died of hypothermia.
Meaning they were running from something.  MY guess is it was something like an avalanche.  Which doesnt cover all the bases.  However, it might not have been a huge one, just big enough.  Once they were frozen solid, more damage could have been done via weight.

No one theory will explain it, but you have to account for:

1) Why people would run for the trees, without proper attire.
2) What would cause damage to the people who didnt get out of the campground
3) What could have happened after they all died.

My guess is something bad was coming as such it was either run and possibly die, or stay and die.  What else would be up there thats that dangerous?  Polar bears/UFO's? smile  I assume it was mountain/snow related.
Whatever they ran from did a number on the misfits in camp.  Or something happened after they died, since no one else was nearby.
anyone who run froze to death on the way back to get more clothing/etc.

Orrrrrrrrr.....

Something happened, like a gas cloud of CO2 came through (Or some kinda serious cold front?) that killed people in short order.   The people in the tent ran, holding thier breaths or looking for some kinda solace further down the mountain.... Bah.. I'ma just say the simpsons are to blame, just dont know how yet smile

The people that had the injuries did get out of the campsite and actually were found further from the campsite than the uninjured ones according to the article.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 06:20:31 PM »

I thought the people found last... at the campsite, were the only ones injured....

hrm

must...re...read...eventually...

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 06:30:13 PM »

No one was found at the campsite. There are pictures of the tents online, there weren't buried. The uninjured ones were found easily, they had made a fire and died on their way back to camp of hypothermia. They think they may have been blind since they used fresh branches to make a fire while there was dry wood all over the place they could have used. But if it was dark, they wouldn't have seen the wood anyway.

The injured ones were buried in a river bed I believe it was.

Avalanche sounds good, except for the items that were at the camp site that didn't belong to the hikers (don't know what those items are), the radiation, the missing tongue, and that they family said all their hair was gray and they were tanned. Of course the story could be greatly exaggerated too, but why did the government keep everything a big secret for years as if there was nothing to hide.

Interestingly the Wikipedia article is locked (UFO wackos trying to make changes?) and marked for deletion. Seems there must be more to the story here.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 06:37:07 PM »

viral marketing for a new movie?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: