http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 11:32:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Dark Tower (may contain spoilers)  (Read 6319 times)
Smoove_B
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2004, 11:46:35 PM »

I just finished book 7 about 10 minutes ago.

Between finally understanding what the series was about and the demise of Gone Gold...I think I might need to start therapy.

Has anyone else read the series to completion yet?
Ascendent
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 12:03:23 AM »

*Major Spoilers*

*Major Spoilers*

*Major Spoilers*

Its funny I read the The Gunslinger so many years ago. It grabbed me like no book ever has, it became alive in my mind. The characters so overwhelmed the quest so grand. I thought to myself in the begining there is no way Roland can succeed, but still wanting so badly to find out what happened.

As for the final book itself well I believe it to be his most powerful book. The language he used in it was beautiful and powerful. Not all parts mind you but for example when Roland he buried Jake, and when he approached the Tower and he called out the names of loved ones fallen and alive as he approached, it gave me goosebumps, still does even now.

Have to say even now I'm still distraught over the ending. He sacrificed so much and he remained true to the tower through out all and to have it end as such was just...tragic.  Really just messed me up when he got to the top and saw the door and said no and tried to back away. It broke my heart, he had given everything only to have to do it all over again, and again. He deserved better then that. He deserved peace if not happiness then at least that.  

Anyways I apologise for any grammatical and spelling errors or if I spoiled this for anyone.

Ascendent
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 01:00:53 AM »

Whoa.  I haven't read past the Wasteland.  Please explain the end in a *little* more detail, or I am going to have to drive to B&N RIGHT NOW. slywink

Rhino

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
Smoove_B
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 05:27:38 AM »

Quote from: "Rhinohelix"
Whoa.  I haven't read past the Wasteland.  Please explain the end in a *little* more detail, or I am going to have to drive to B&N RIGHT NOW. slywink

Rhino

Wowzers. I woould love to tell you how it ends...but I don't really think the story is about the end - the Tower is a MacGuffin of sorts.

It really is all about the journey.

I'd say get back into it - there's never been a better time. And Book #4 is easiliy one of his greatest stories ever written.
Smoove_B
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 03:49:41 AM »

Also - if anyone cares - I found a book that apparently just came out called:

The Road to the Dark Tower: Exploring Stephen King's Magnum Opus

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0451213041/103-2361595-8545416?v=glance&s=books

From the publisher:

"With the full cooperation of Stephen King himself, The Road to the Dark Tower examines the epic journey of the author to complete a story that threatened to overwhelm him. In this indispensable companion, Bev Vincent presents a book-by-book analysis of each volume in the series, tracing the Dark Tower's connections to King's other novels including The Stand, Insomnia, and Hearts in Atlantis, and offering insights from the author about the creative process involved in crafting his lifelong work-a work that has consumed not only Stephen King, but his legion of devoted readers. This is essential reading for any Dark Tower-or Stephen King-fan. "
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 04:16:51 AM »

I tried reading Book 5 when it came out, and the story was so fragmented and faded in my head, I gave up. I decided that with the impending release of books 6 & 7, I owed it to one of my favorite authors to give it a more heroic try, so I started re-reading the books, starting with the updated book 1 - so far, it's been an incredible journey, especially as I am reminded of how good books 1-4 truly are, and book 5 is really engrossing to me now, as well.

I couldn't help myself by reading some spoilers I saw on GG, but I'm still determined to finish the journey I've started. I've been reading about these characters for a long time. I remember being violently pissed off at the end of book 3, and just throwing that heavy trade paperback across the living room when I finished it (if you read, you know what I'm talking about <G>), and how pissed off my wife got at me for waking her up over a "stupid story" smile
Smoove_B
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 04:19:14 AM »

While I cannot promise you'll love the ending of the entire story, you'll at least have closure.
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 12:57:09 PM »

Closure would be all I could hope to ask for from King any way I think about it. That, in itself, would be a tremendous accomplishment considering how far reaching the Dark Tower has been in King's work.
Smoove_B
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 09:14:09 PM »

Believe it or not, the ending to the series is actually hinted at within the first 50 pages of The Gunslinger (IIRC). It's definately in the book (not positive on the page number).

Pretty amazing considering it took King 34 some-odd years to meander there.  smile
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 04:53:58 AM »

I remember reading an interview with King somewhere and he said when he wrote a book, it was sort of like an intercontinental missle launch because he had a rough idea where he was going, but he could never quite pinpoint the ending with any real degree of certainty and he said he was sometimes as surprised as Constant Reader would be at how things turned out.

I'm almost done with book 5 now, so hopefully I can grind through and if you're up for it, maybe we can discuss the series a little more openly then smile
Smoove_B
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 09:04:18 PM »

I'm about a 1/3 of the way through the "Road to the Dark Tower" book and am amazed at what a good job the author did in summarizing each book, cross referencing King's other work.

It's pretty detailed and a great way to come down off the Dark Tower.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 03:37:02 AM »

I agree it was defintely one of the best of the series...and after reading the end I also realize it couldn't end any other way.  But damnit.  I think I actually shed a tear when Jake died.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 03:54:31 PM »

MAJOR SPOILERS !!!

This book was so hard on me.  Thats not to say i did not love it, but man did it hurt.  I cried when Eddie took one to the head.  I cried when Jake was crushed by the van, i cried when Suzanna/deta left.  i cried when oy was killed, and i cried when roland named all he had sacrificed right before going into the tower.  All in all, this may be the hardest book ive ever made my self read.

How many of you almost stopped before the ending?  When king took time out to tell us it was about the journey i almost put it down.   .... almost.

In anycase, i cant say i liked the ending.  I can say i understood it tho.

Roland was never true to the tower.  Roland was true to his own quest and thats it.  The tower is the binding force that holds the beams together and supports the multiverse thats its purpose.  its ka if you will.  I Think for Roland to be true to to the tower he would have to be true to its purpose.  Roland Saved the Beams thats true.  However did roland do it because he did not want the multiverse to end, or becase he wanted it to be around long enough for him to get to the tower and see what was at the top?  I think that may well be why roland is a doomed soul.   To put it one way roland was too greedy.  With that being said, i think Suz put him on the right track.  Suz and the rest of the Ka-tet showed roland that there was more than his quest for the tower.  they showed him how to love, laugh and indeed live.  They showed him that it was a noble thing to sacrifice for something other than his own need.  I think roland was begining to grasp that.  I also think that the lessons of the Ka-tet will grow roland into a whole person.   When and if that ever happens roland will be able to actualy be able to finish his quest, if its sill important to him that is.  

Man this was a such a good series.  Its sad tho, becasue to me it feels like the end of an error, and the loss of something important to me.  i doubt we will ever see any more substantial work from King, and to me at least that is the saddest loss of all.

AttA
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 04:56:35 PM »

Well said Atta... well except for "end of an error" smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Smoove_B
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 09:24:01 PM »

I knew there would be deaths. I just didn't know when. Even as I could sense them coming closer, I still felt like someone punched me in the gut when they happened. Even when it happened to Oy - a character I never really cared for - I was really choked up.

I would tend to agree with Atta - Roland Book 7 is a different character than Roland Book 1. Hell, he changes drastically from book 1 to book 2.

And that's what this is really all about. Not the tower. It's Roland's journey there.

At first I was a bit confused and didn't like that King included himself in the book(s). After finishing it, I understand WHY he did it - and think it was a great idea.
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2004, 10:10:36 PM »

*Spoilers* but if you've read this far into the thread you already know that...

I already gave my thoughts on DTVII at GG, but... anyway, one thing I (and others as well) thought of with the ending was that the answer to 19 was that this was Roland's 19th trip.  I tried rereading the last section with this in mind to see if there was anything to support this (other than the trees leading to the tower and the number of steps) but all I could find was "How many times has he..." repeated a few times as he learns his fate.  I was kind of hoping to see a reference to 20 on the last couple pages, as further support, but didn't.

Another thought that occurred to me (and this one may be kind of out there) was that Roland and the Tower are like two personifications of a meta-beam- like the rose and "the writer" were in the "keyworld" of the story.  In other words there's a world of universes that houses the Tower/Roland set of universes and there's 'beams' and 'towers' holding that one up and as long as Roland and the Tower are seeking each other that "beam" and its set of worlds is safe- like as long as the rose stand the keyworld and its beam are safe.  This is sort of supported by what Walter tells him at the end of the gunslinger with the purple grass universe, etc. speech.

As for the book itself other than the disappointment that there was no epic fight with Walter (they never even saw each other again) or the Crimson King (it was more of an avoidance than a fight) it was very enjoyable, and as King says it's all about the journey anyway...

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
derek_hutch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2004, 01:24:40 AM »

*Spoilers*

I just finished it.  5 minutes ago. I wish only that we knew more about the Crimson King. He seems so important to the development of Roland's world, but we only learn that he's "mad".

I cried when each person died. I had always believed since the end of book number three that Roland was going to die and Eddie would be the one to make it to the tower. When Eddie got shot I dropped the book and couldn't read it for the rest of the night. When Jake died I almost cried.

This book (not as good as the fourth, that book is simultaniously the best romance and western that I have ever read/seen/heard) is one of the best I have ever read.

Quick question, was Dandelo supposed to be Pennywise the Clown from It? Or at least the same type of creature it seems.
Smoove_B
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2004, 02:43:47 PM »

Quote from: "derek_hutch"
*Spoilers*

Quick question, was Dandelo supposed to be Pennywise the Clown from It? Or at least the same type of creature it seems.

I don't think so. In the "Road to the Dark Tower" book I'm reading now, the author points out that both IT and the creature in The Regulators live in todash - the spaces between worlds. He likens them to rats crawling around in the walls of a house.

Dandelo has similar powers at Pennywise, but I think Dandelo is just a special type of vampire.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2004, 12:49:17 PM »

Spoilers ahead, blah blah blah...

I agree with what everyone has said. This was easily King's most powerful Dark Tower book, in that it really moved me. Watching these characters I had practically grown up with over the years die really shook me up a bit in a way I've rarely been moved by a book. Of course Eddie and Jake sort of live on in another universe (along with Susannah), but it was almost even more tragic that they did not remember their ka-tet, and Susannah's memories of it were fading.

King putting himself in the book did bother me a bit, but seeing the big picture I understand it. The Dark Tower has been a constant thread through his life's work, and as a writer I think he felt he needed an explanation for that. I thought the way he incorporated his van accident was well done. That accident was obviously a major impact (no pun intended) on his life, and I'm sure it was a kind of therapy to turn it into a plot device.

I really liked the ending. Yes, it was horribly tragic, but what about Roland hasn't been? It just "fit" to me. At first I thought King was going to end the story before Roland even saw the top of the tower, and that would have been OK too.

Minor complaints - I also wish some of the characters had been fleshed out a bit more. I don't feel we really saw enough of Mordred or the Crimson King. Patrick Danville was a fascinating character, but I hated how he seemed to be brought in at the last minute to save everything. This was tempered by the fact that even King poked fun at himself for doing it with his "Here comes the deus ex machina" clue at the house of Dandelo.

Great book, great series, sad to see it go. I really hope King pulls a Michael Jordan and keeps coming out of retirement every time he feels like telling another story.
Smoove_B
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2004, 12:44:58 AM »

As a point of clarification - King has said he's done *publishing* for a while. He has maintained that he will continue to write. In fact, he's gone so far as to say he needs to write.
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2004, 01:25:20 AM »

Speaking strictly from experience, publishing and writing are two separate beasts smile If you're a writer, you write, whether you ever intend for the work to see the light of day or not. King's not going to ever stop writing, but he may indeed not bother to let the rest of us read it, which would be a major bummer.
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2004, 09:45:48 AM »

Just finished this book.

The ending will haunt me for a long time. I've been on this journey with him for 20 years. I own the signed, limited edition copies of each book even.

I can't fully express how bitterly disappointed I am that he didn't end the book after Roland went into the tower.

I've probably read the first 3 books 8-9 times, book 4 4-5 times, book 5 and 6 twice. I'll never read these books again.

King can castigate me in his afterward about it being all about the journey. Blah blah bloo. But knowing that it was all meaningless, that it was all for nothing... no. Absolutely not. Screw you Mr. King. Those final ten pages have destroyed the previous 7000 for me.

It doesn't help that the eternal time-loop of pain is also my own private vision of hell.
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2004, 06:39:00 PM »

After sleeping on it, I woke up today with the thoughts that what really pissed me off about the ending was that it was lazy. Lazy and a copout. I didn't feel this huge surprise, instead it was just another non-sensical crappy King ending. I completely disagree with whomever said the ending was forshadowed in book 1. King almost never has any idea how his books will end, especially not that far in advance. Lazy, stupid garbage ending.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2004, 08:14:36 PM »

ive made it back through the first 3 books, and i can tell you that king had been telling us this ending would happen since book one.  in each and every book is ample forshadowing of what was gonna happen.  The very idea that Ka is a wheel is its self forshadowing on the ending.  Think about it its was Rolands Ka to seek the tower.  Ka is a wheel so roland will seek the tower again...and again...and again.   I dont know man i did not feel like i was cheated at all.  I thought it fit the book exactaly like it should have.  That does not mean i was happy about it, but you where not supposed to be happy about it.  The series is a tragedy mabey one  of the the greatest tragedys our or time.  I dont see how you did not see that coming.

AttA
Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2004, 08:16:13 PM »

I don't have the same perspective as you since I didn't start reading any of them until September of this year, then burned through all in about 8 weeks.  I think the ending was proper.  IMO, Roland is like the rose or King or anything else that defends/creates the beams and the tower.  He must continue his quest perpetually, because if he did not the tower would fall.  He's one of the mechanisms that allows creation to continue to exist.  Unfortunately, he must suffer in a Christ-like way in order for others to go on.  Sucks to be him slywink

There are a lot of things I didn't like about the series but I was still sad when I was done.  I HATED the references to other fiction (Harry Potter model Sneetches, lightsabers, wtf).  I think it was Wolves that started that, I put it down with disgust when I got to those parts.  I also believe King got way too cutesy with including himself in the story, and the wink-wink "here's the deus ex machina" part at the end of 7.  Overall my favorite book was Wizard & Glass.

I'm reading some of the other books that are Tower-related.  I started w/Salem's Lot and am now reading Insomnia.  I hope it picks up, it's having the opposite effect on me from its title.  Sooo dull, at least for the first 150 pages.

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2004, 04:22:50 AM »

Quote from: "AttAdude"
The series is a tragedy of the the greatest tragedy our or time.  I dont see how you did not see that coming.

I didn't see it coming because King didn't foreshadow it. It's crap justification you're using because you disagree with my opinion. Stephen King has said in every interview I've read that he had no idea how he this series was going to end until he started pushing through the last 3 books.
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2004, 06:48:57 AM »

I've been slowly working my way through listening to the unabridged audio book version.  I'm scared to read any of the posts here, so as far as I know, it could start to suck in later books.

But god damn, is the first book good.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2004, 04:05:42 PM »

Quote from: "malichai11"
Quote from: "AttAdude"
The series is a tragedy of the the greatest tragedy our or time.  I dont see how you did not see that coming.

I didn't see it coming because King didn't foreshadow it. It's crap justification you're using because you disagree with my opinion. Stephen King has said in every interview I've read that he had no idea how he this series was going to end until he started pushing through the last 3 books.

So you dont see the whole Ka as a wheel thing as forshadowing for a never ending cycle?  If not man, i think you might want to investigate the idea of forshadowing as a literary device.  Mabey you expected king to just come out some where around book 2 and say ohh by the way roland did you know you have done this before and will do it again.  Thats not the way it works, forshadowing is "supposed"  to be subtle hints about what will happen in the future.  When done right its not the kind of thing you notice untill after the forshadowed event is over and done with.  its like a prophecy you never understand it untill its over and then you smack your self on the forhead and wonder how you could have missed it.

All that aside tho, i still fail to see how you did not expect the ending to be tragic.  i personaly expected a sad ending (not this specific one but a very sad one) Since book two.

AttA
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2004, 04:06:12 AM »

I'm sorry, perhaps I was a bit out of line because of how freakishly disappointed I was. We're all entitled to our opinions, and for me to assume that you are taking yours simply because of how I took mine is egotistical. For me to not respond until now was cowardly. I'm sorry.

Again, a wheel or not, it's paradoxical and idiotic in my opinion. Stephen King's weakness as a writer has always been his piss poor endings. Why the Dark Tower series was so good was because he wrote 7 books and only 1 ending. I should've known he'd fuck up the ending since he's screwed up so many before. Roland saves the universe, but has to do it all over again because he forget his horn? Pshaw. Stupid. I hope the next time he doesn't save the universe and it all ends. Screw you Gan.

Ka as a circle? So no one is allowed to change or grow? Instead they must be stuck in a cycle forever? I don't agree with that whatsoever. Again, I feel it's a lazy writer's way to get out of having to find an ending for an epic. I look for Robert Jordan to do the same thing, and for George Martin to find a way to complete his.

His endings all suffer from the same problem. They are too quick, easy, and seem to be wrapped up from an author who had no idea how to end his books. The Stand's ending was absolutely moronic. Insomnia, The Shining, Cujo, the Green Mile. He always takes the easiest way out.

And so it was in the Dark Tower. The easiest way out. I'm not eloquent nor a good writer, so I can't fully express myself on this issue, so this will be my last post in this thread.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2004, 09:01:00 PM »

You got it all backwards.

He's not repeating it because he forgot the horn, the horn is there to give us hope that one day Roland will actually find a way to NOT climb the tower, or in some other way not complete the cycle.

You seem so dissapointed, but was there really any other logical or satisfactory ending to this epic masterpiece? Would you rather have Roland ride into the sunset after discovering the secret of life at the top of the tower?

It is a perfect end to a sad yet beautiful tale.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2004, 10:22:32 PM »

Quote from: "malichai11"
I'm sorry, perhaps I was a bit out of line because of how freakishly disappointed I was. We're all entitled to our opinions, and for me to assume that you are taking yours simply because of how I took mine is egotistical. For me to not respond until now was cowardly. I'm sorry.

Again, a wheel or not, it's paradoxical and idiotic in my opinion. Stephen King's weakness as a writer has always been his piss poor endings. Why the Dark Tower series was so good was because he wrote 7 books and only 1 ending. I should've known he'd fuck up the ending since he's screwed up so many before. Roland saves the universe, but has to do it all over again because he forget his horn? Pshaw. Stupid. I hope the next time he doesn't save the universe and it all ends. Screw you Gan.

Ka as a circle? So no one is allowed to change or grow? Instead they must be stuck in a cycle forever? I don't agree with that whatsoever. Again, I feel it's a lazy writer's way to get out of having to find an ending for an epic. I look for Robert Jordan to do the same thing, and for George Martin to find a way to complete his.

His endings all suffer from the same problem. They are too quick, easy, and seem to be wrapped up from an author who had no idea how to end his books. The Stand's ending was absolutely moronic. Insomnia, The Shining, Cujo, the Green Mile. He always takes the easiest way out.

And so it was in the Dark Tower. The easiest way out. I'm not eloquent nor a good writer, so I can't fully express myself on this issue, so this will be my last post in this thread.

Hey man no big deal, i uderstand being passionate, and some tiems that makes people a little rude right?  Anyway no offence take, but i would like to make a few comments on your post here and my take on the ending.  If you dont mind, if ya do feel free to ignore my rambleings.

Like the above poster said the horn was there to give you hope for rolands eventual salvation.  You see the horn was not there in his previous 19 (?) trips to the darktower.  The addition to that at the end of the story means he did something right, and that by doing so there is hope that his ka will change and therefor the cycle of the darktower.   Forgetting the horn was not what kept him going to the darktower.  In my opinion and its definatly an opinion, roland is doomed to this cycle because he has never been true to the darktower and its purpose as the pillar that holds up creation.  Examples of this are the fact that roland was following the quest because he thought it was his destiny not because he wanted to serve the tower or its purpose.  Roland was all about the quest.  Another example is rolands willingness to sacrifice anything at all in creation to get to the dark tower things like letting jake fall in book one because he thought it would bring him closer to the tower.  One more example, in book 7 roland had to save a beam lest the support system of creation be destroyed effectivly ending his search for the tower.  Ask your self this question.  Do you think roland did it to save creation?  or did roland do it to make sure he could finish his damned quest?  I think he did it for the quest flying directly into the face of the towers Ka and dooming him to the cycle again.   However i do belive that roland had a chance to escape the cycle and this is shown by the horn as i said.  I think it was his genuine love for jake that did it.  it was the fact that in the end roland was not ready to sacrifice jake again.  Granted jake still ate the grill of that van and died, but it was his choice not rolands, and you can see that by the fact that roland not only tried to save him, but tried to save him knowing full well it would both kill him and end the all important quest.  There are other examples for all of the characters even oy.    

Anyway man, dont be upset, and pls keep posting for godssake i need some one to talk to about it, because i dont know anyone thats read the series.  all my friends are just now picking up book 1 lol.

AttA
Havoc
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2004, 04:59:50 PM »

I agree that the horn is a symbol to show Roland has progressed closer to breaking the cycle. While I think that the love he showed for Jake is the reason he was rewarded, I also think that Jake is the key for Roland breaking the cycle. That is the reason for Roland starting back at the beginning of the series, right before he meets Jake the first time. It is the passage under the mountain, where Jake falls that needs to be corrected. That is the only instance in the series, which I remember, where Roland does not do what he can to protect the ka-tet.

If Roland lets the man in black go and rescues Jake, then the conversation where Roland is shown a piece of the universe and tower (I think, my memory is fuzzy) does not occur. The doors on the beach still appear because Ka placed them there and not the man in black. Eddie and Susannah are still pulled and join the group. This also eliminates the need to pull Jake in the third book, which would result in Mordred (sp?) not being born. Now everything would continue the same, the Ka-tet is together. From here, Oy does not die because of Mordred. Susannah does not run off because of Mia, so the group does not have to go in two different directions after the batlle in the Calla. Instead they all go and see Stephen King, which still ensures the creation of the Tet corporation. From there the group saves the beams once again in their battle. Here is the tricky part, maybe as another reward to Roland then Eddie is not shot. Or since Fr. Callahan did not die in the Dixie Pig, and isn't a true part of the ka-tet, he takes the bullet instead of Eddie. After that with the group still in tact, they find a way to save Stepehn King without sacrificing Jake or another member. They all (or most) then make it to the Tower. I think Roland would still take out (with Patrick Danville's help) the Crimson King. Roland then comes to the tower, yells out the names of his fallen comrades and blows the horn but he then turns away. I think he is able to turn away at this point because he rescued Jake under the mountain and did not have that conversation with the man in black. So he did not get a true taste of the universe and the tower, which gives him enough strength along with his love for the Ka-tet (and their love) to walk away for good.

This is why I love the way King wrote this series. He could have made the story Roland's last turn through the cycle but then you would not have seen all of Roland. In this cycle you see his faults and his growth as person that starts to care for the people around him.

Well that's my two cents.

-Havoc
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2004, 05:54:19 PM »

Whoot some one to talk to about the DT =)

Let me ask you this:  Why is it you think Jake and the rest of the tet are part of the cycle.  This is the big sticking point for me.  Are the others doomed to repet this quest over and over.  Has jake and the rest been through this all 19 times(?).  You see this is a sticky wicket for me, because i dont like the idea that rolands Ka is interfearing with people that where at least before the drawing of the 3 not involved in the search for the tower.   I dont like the idea that his short commings are dooming other people to what could be a never ending cycle.  Could it be that each member of the tet has some soft of personal problem like Rolands they too must overcome?  I mean we have dette and sue (solved by making detta an integral part of her person), eddie has his dope (solved by kicking the habit as shown by the fact he did not over take painkillers when he could have in book six), and jake has his problem with his family specificly a problem with his father, and we all know fathers are important in this world (solved by adopting roland as a father).  However to me i cant think of a reason why they did not overcome those problems.   Like you talked about roland's key was jake, and i think more importantly his personal growth lead to his ability to care for something besides the tower.  However roland had his own problems even after that, like my example of him saving the beam for the quest and no the tower.  I have trouble nailing down something like that for the rest of the tet, especialy for Oy, he did have his problems too tho, being an outcast amoung his own kind and what not, but he overcame that by becoming part of the tet.   So i ask, why is it that the rest of the tet is doomed to the cycle as well?

AttA
Havoc
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2004, 09:50:02 PM »

I do not think that the other members, outside of Roland, have specific Ka goals to meet. Their task being gunslingers and from the line of Eld (are they really? Or do they just call themselves as such?) is to protect the beams and the tower. Roland is being punished for forgetting that his duty is to protect the tower not to claim it. Are the other members having to repeat the quest also? Yes, I think so but because they are gunslingers and their job is to defend the tower when called upon. Sounds like a sucky life when you have one gunslinger screwing up the whole thing, making you start over again.  smile
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2006, 01:03:09 PM »

OK I know I'm way behind in my reading, but I finally finished book 7 last night, about 15 years after reading book 1.

It's kind of good to see that dissapointment in the ending is pretty universal.  Like many others, I hated when Eddie, Jake and Oy died the pointless deaths.  I hated that the book seemed to end with Roland entering the tower; yet it actually would have been a better ending with the epilogue than what we got.  Yet I find I cannot be too angry; King warned us at the start of the Coda...

But 7 books, and the point of the journey is Groundhog Day?  It feels so unsatisfying.  I hope Roland and the ka tet make it through this time and have a happier ending.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2006, 01:47:05 PM »

Some threadnomancy here, didn't expect to see this topic up again.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2006, 01:59:15 PM »

I was just a bit frustrated by the ending, but felt wrong starting up a new thread about a book that's been out for a year and a half...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2006, 02:06:40 PM »

Ahh I gotcha yeah a lot of people were disapointed in the ending. At least you finished it, I take solace in that at least it was finished.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2006, 02:58:51 PM »

I should read through this whole thread. I'm a huge Dark Tower fan and finished the books a few months back.

I was disappointed by the last book, not because of the "Groundhog Day" ending - which I actually find ironic and fitting with Roland's character - but because of the weak final conflict with the Crimson King. The CK is supposed to be one of King's greatest villains, but the battle between him and Roland just wasn't as epic as I would have liked. That's what I found underwhealming.

So funny that this thread popped up again though, seeing as how I just ordered King's re-edit of the first book.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2006, 04:55:27 PM »

I have never liked his books, but this series intrigues me.  I may have to at least try the first and see if it grabs.  Thanks for reminding me about it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: