http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 08:33:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Blackest of Fridays 07 - Post Your Loot!  (Read 2243 times)
spigot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2007, 08:36:50 PM »

Anyone braving the masses of rabid shoppers again this year in search for those sweet door-busters deals? Every year I swear not to get sucked into the madness, and it seems every year I manage to drag my ass out of the house at 4 in the morning.

This year, I'm definitely not doing it anymore. The stress, the craziness, the ugliness of people willing to kill each other for a deal - it's just not worth it. Add to that the fact that I haven't really seen ANYTHING in the papers worthwhile means I'll be sleeping in my warm bed snug and tight.

Edit: Post your loot! Who did you have to kill to get your goodies?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 03:27:52 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 08:47:08 PM »

My wife and her brother go every year, I just give them a list smile They enjoy it well enough so I don't have to bother.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 08:50:26 PM by Goldchamp » Logged
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 09:21:02 PM »

Apparently Kohl's is opening this year at 4am. Absolute insanity.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 09:24:57 PM »

My wife her mother and my sister go out on black fridays and also the day after christmas it's like a tradition with them me no thanks.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 09:26:12 PM »

Is it me or do the deal seem to get worse and worse every year?

I've not bothered to go out on BF in probably 3-4 years.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 09:36:01 PM »

They do have seemed to have gotten worse over the years even though I don't go out I enjoy looking thru the ads with the wife.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 10:35:54 PM »

I go every year, this year is no different.  And while I have no money, my g/f does, so she may be nice enough to buy some socks for me Tongue

TheMissingLink on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 11:43:29 PM »

I'm gonna be doing the exact same thing I do every year when Black Friday comes along:

Sleeping.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 01:28:08 AM »

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,23601.0.html

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 02:10:22 AM »

Zune.  ZUUUUUUUUUUUNE!
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 02:18:08 AM »

Things seems to start earlier each year. This year Best Buy is handing out claims to entitle people to buy their Doorbuster specials at 3AM!!! Sheesh.

Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 02:42:04 AM »

I hate crowds as it is so no way I ever go out.

Wife decided she wanted to go out this year for some crazy reason.

I'll just stay home playing with my son. Much more fun than shopping.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 04:17:30 AM »

level of annoyance with the herd > any possible savings.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 04:23:58 AM »

Had a decent experience last year and got a great deal on a TV, but overall the deals look worse this year and I am not interested enough in having anything to go out at 3am.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 05:28:05 AM »

Quote from: PaulBot on November 23, 2007, 02:18:08 AM

Things seems to start earlier each year. This year Best Buy is handing out claims to entitle people to buy their Doorbuster specials at 3AM!!! Sheesh.

Best buy could start at midnight if they wanted to.  I went last year and there were nearly 100 people in line already. (yes I was one of them to get my HD TV) I won't be going out as I have to be at work in less than 4 hours.  Yet I am still awake....

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 06:12:17 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on November 23, 2007, 05:28:05 AM

Best buy could start at midnight if they wanted to.  I went last year and there were nearly 100 people in line already. (yes I was one of them to get my HD TV) I won't be going out as I have to be at work in less than 4 hours.  Yet I am still awake....

i came home at about 6:30 this evening and there was already a line of at least 50 people standing outside the Best Buy near my apartment.  i haven't really looked at the deals they're offering because there's no way i'll be there anyway, but my money is on a large majority of them lining up for a Wii.  the store has had signs up on the doors all week saying that they would have a bunch available when the store opens on friday.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 07:25:22 AM »

Quote from: disarm on November 23, 2007, 06:12:17 AM

Quote from: papasmurff on November 23, 2007, 05:28:05 AM

i came home at about 6:30 this evening and there was already a line of at least 50 people standing outside the Best Buy near my apartment.  i haven't really looked at the deals they're offering because there's no way i'll be there anyway, but my money is on a large majority of them lining up for a Wii.  the store has had signs up on the doors all week saying that they would have a bunch available when the store opens on friday.

I would be shocked if thats true-they aren't on sale, and I simply don't think they are THAT popular yet. Last year the lines started later, more like around midnight on Thanksgiving, and were pretty crazy, but pretty much everyone was there for the doorbusters-the TVs and the laptops primarily-Best Buy has a few cheapies of both-and I would bet a large amount of money people are there for that-whether to turn them on EBay or for themselves, or whatever. I don't see people lining up 24 hours in advance for a Wii on the worst shopping day of the year. I don't think its hit that level of awareness yet.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2007, 03:27:18 PM »

wow, the only sale that caught my eye is the PS2 w/ 30 buck gift card at Gamestop, and I can get that all weekend.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 03:32:30 PM »

My mom picked up a pair of Tom Tom GPS units for 99 bucks each.  Hard to pass that up.  Saves me the pain of setting up my PDA to handle my GPS.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2007, 04:13:50 PM »

No Zune here, although I'm working through someone on HardForum to get one of the refurbs from Woot for $100.

What I /did/ get though:

Shrek 3: $12
Fast and the Furious:  $3
2 Fast 2 Furious:  $3
The Pursuit of Happyness:  $6
300:  $6
A Beautiful Mind:  $5

Coffee pot for sister:  $4
Beautiful antique-style phonograph/3 CD changer/AM FM stereo/ cassette player:  $100 (Normally $180)
Large George Forman Grill for mother:  $30

Blank DVDs for self:  $8
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 04:21:45 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on November 23, 2007, 04:13:50 PM

No Zune here, although I'm working through someone on HardForum to get one of the refurbs from Woot for $100.

Buy.com has refurbed Zune's for $95 today.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Microsoft-Zune-30GB-Digital-Multimedia-Device-Audio-Player-Video/q/loc/58207/206531581.html

gellar
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2007, 06:01:13 PM »

Hit a few stores, Guitar Hero and Wii games were FLYING off the shelves.

I got some yarn at Craft Warehouse, some new slippers, and socks.

TheMissingLink on PSN
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2007, 06:04:41 PM »

BestBuy had Ghost Recon 2 and Stuntman Ignition for $19.99 and not that many were even looking at em. 

I had Stuntman in my hand, but remembering how trial and error the demo was scared me off even at that price. 

Nothing for me.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2007, 08:01:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 23, 2007, 04:17:30 AM

level of annoyance with the herd > any possible savings.

As well as the ". 5 available at this price" bullshit

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2007, 08:32:28 PM »

I picked up this at Bestbuyonline.com http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1177112903079&type=product&skuId=8358813&productCategoryId=abcat0507002&_requestid=174142  My card went kaput on Wednesday, thankfully they were in stock and at a great price.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2007, 04:24:02 AM »

Got up and left the house at 4:45.
Went to BB just as the doors were opening.
About 100 or so in line. Stood in line for about 15 minutes. It was actually quite orderly, except for the few inevitable people trying to cut, which were quickly shot down.
Got in, grabbed what I came for, most notably this 22" WS monitor http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8593934&type=product&id=1190678793400, which is fantastic, and 100 pack of blank dvds and was back home in bed at 5:30.

Not at all bad. I think BB did an admirable job keeping things moving and organized.

Oh, and as I walked into BB I headed over to find the dvd spindle that was onsale, but couldnt find them.
As I was walking away from the section, I saw a guy with a cart full of them. Must have been 10 in there.
I asked him where he got them and he said he had no idea, as he was watching the cart for his buddy.
As I was walking away, he said "Yo, buddy" and as I turned, he picked 1 up and handed it to me and said "Merry Christmas".
I thought that was way cool.
The spirit is still alive.
I will remember to PIF.
unbreakable
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2007, 05:09:24 AM »

Got called in to work.  All day.

I got nothin.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2007, 06:56:58 AM »

Circuit City near me was a mess. There was a line of about 200 people outside thirty minutes after the store opened. Apparently they had problems with a fire marshal last year so they were limiting entry into the store. The parking lot was overfull, and we parked in an office building lot across the street, which was also half full. We waited 25 minutes to get in the store, and got in about 5:45.

Once inside, it was easy to see why the store was full. Stuff was randomly placed all over the store: bins of games were mixed in with bins of movies, which were brilliantly placed far away from the items' usual locations. Finding a product was pretty much hit or miss, and everyone was walking back and forth trying to find stuff.

I'm not sure what other Circuit City stores are like, but this one has single registers scattered on the main floor, which means that navigating the store was even more difficult with the lines of customers snaking through the displays and blocking the merchandise. To further complicate the stupidity, you apparently were supposed to take certain purchases only to certain registers. I was waiting in line with a computer monitor for five minutes before being approached by a clerk who told me that I was in a line at a register for mp3 player purchases and that it couldn't take my monitor purchase. He pointed me to a line in the--get this--audio section--for the monitor. I have no idea what I was supposed to have done if we had both an mp3 player and a monitor. We waited another 25 minutes before making our purchase.

The coup de grace came when the teller didn't have an unlocking device at his register to remove the security cases on two Wii games that I bought. When we got to the door to leave, I showed the cases to a clerk who was checking departing customers, and he asked us to wait in a customer service line to have the cases removed. I politely told him that I was not waiting again, and was able to put enough firmness in the voice that he took them over and did it himself.

The whole experience was about an hour, and despite the chaos, it was a thoroughly entertaining experience, mostly from the incredible lack of organization and thought to the operation.

From there we went to Best Buy, which was a totally different experience. We got there about 6:45, and parked about 20 feet from the front entrance. Inside, they had the store cordoned with inventory so that people flowed in a counterclockwise circle through the store. Each section had staff that knew exactly what was in each section. We'd drop into a section, and immediately get asked if we needed any help. On each occasion, the staff knew exactly what we were looking for and pulled the item right off the shelf for us. They had a controller at the registers pointing customers to open registers and controlling the flow. We waited about a minute to get through the short line.

The whole experience took about 15 minutes, and we bought and found more stuff at Best Buy than we did at Circuit City in an hour and fifteen minutes.

We followed that with short runs to Target (well organized) and Toys 'R Us (sloppy, chaotic).

It was my first time doing the Black Friday sales that early, and despite the Circuit City hilarity, I had a blast. From an economic perspective, it was a case study in customer service to see the way that Best Buy schooled Circuit City in the efficiency of their operation (and I generally prefer Circuit City for occasional shopping). Everyone we talked with was friendly, we ran into a few friends, and a good time was had by all. I also got a great monitor, some great deals on toys/games/movies, a solid deal on a new router for our home network.

Quote from: stimpy on November 24, 2007, 04:24:02 AM

Got in, grabbed what I came for, most notably this 22" WS monitor http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8593934&type=product&id=1190678793400, which is fantastic, and 100 pack of blank dvds and was back home in bed at 5:30.

Not at all bad. I think BB did an admirable job keeping things moving and organized.

Not to poop on your party, but I bought that same Envision Best Buy monitor today on a whim, but when I got home I read online that it doesn't have a DVI port. I think I'm taking it back. Not sure if the DVI port is important to you, but I thought I'd mention it. I got an ACER monitor as well, in the madness at Circuit City, and will end up keeping that one. I hooked it up today and it looks freaking awesome.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 09:15:23 PM by Godzilla Blitz » Logged

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2007, 05:16:35 PM »

Yeah, it seemed like Best Buy was the store best prepared for the crowds. The first Circuit City I went to was a total mess. I made my way to the registers where there were a few lines. I was stopped before I could get there and told the line started in middle isle of the store. So I went to the middle isle and decided to walk out of the store. There were what looked to be three huge lines snaked off of the main isle with no one directing. One went down one of the DVD isles where no one could get by. Another was snaked around the back of the store ending up god knows where. The other one was straight down the middle of the isle. No orginization at all.

So I put back what I had (2 games) and went to another Circuit City near a Target I wanted to hit and there was no wait at that one.

Made out with the following loot:

Circuit City:
Super Mario Galaxy Wii $34.99
Halo 3 XB360 $59.99 (w/ $10 giftcard, which they just took off the game)

Target:

Gears of War XB360 - $38
Call of Duty 4 - $48

Best Buy:

LOTR Online x2 - $9.99
Panasonic 5.8GHz Digital Cordless Phone Set w/ 2 Handsets - $59.99

Gamecrazy:

Dead Rising - $19.99
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2007, 07:59:22 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on November 24, 2007, 06:56:58 AM

Not to poop on your party, but I bought that same Envision Best Buy monitor today on a whim, but when I got home I read online that it doesn't have a DVI port. I think I'm taking it back. Not sure if the DVI port is important to you, but I thought I'd mention it. I got an ACER monitor as well, in the madness at Circuit City, and will end up keeping that one. I hooked it up today and it looks freaking awesome.

Well, it wasnt important to me till you mentioned it. icon_wink
But honestly, how noticeable would the difference be in the quality be when it comes to gaming?
Isnt DVI more important if you want to watch HD video on the monitor?
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2007, 09:10:51 PM »

Quote from: stimpy on November 24, 2007, 07:59:22 PM

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on November 24, 2007, 06:56:58 AM

Well, it wasnt important to me till you mentioned it. icon_wink
But honestly, how noticeable would the difference be in the quality be when it comes to gaming?
Isnt DVI more important if you want to watch HD video on the monitor?

Yeah, it wasn't important to me either, until I read "BEWARE: This monitor doesn't have a DVI input." on that forum. I was happy until then.

To be honest, I don't know how important a DVI input is. That poster sure made it sound important, though. I might actually see if I can find the answer, because my dual monitor set up now has one flat panel monitor and one old CRT monitor. I feel Amish with the CRT monitor, and would love to replace it with the Envision flat panel. If the DVI input isn't that important, I might end up keeping that one as well.

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2007, 10:33:36 PM »

You can do an HDMI to DVI converter I believe that works okay.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2007, 10:37:15 PM »

Quote from: stimpy on November 24, 2007, 04:24:02 AM

..."Yo, buddy" and as I turned, he picked 1 up and handed it to me and said "Merry Christmas".
I thought that was way cool.
The spirit is still alive.
I will remember to PIF.

That's just too cool. I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it.  crybaby

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2007, 11:17:57 PM »

i didn't go and i didn't follow the ads either.  one of my friends went to fry's and was able to grab a 750gb hard drive for ~80 and a network equipped external housing for 50.  and then he went to find the end of the line. 

this was the store he went to were employees were selling spots in line for $100. 

the line snaked around the store and up and down the main aisles multiple times.  an employee was at the end with a bunch of balloons to mark the spot.  he saw the flow and just put his stuff back and left.  as he put it, not worth the savings for an hour's worth of waiting.

the whole parking lot was full to the point of waiting in a line of cars the entire length of the aisle for a spot.  getting out took some effort too as you were boxed in by the cars waiting behind you.  i can't imagine bothering with the effort when it gets like that.  of course, he's always been willing to go that far for a deal as he's done that before.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2007, 11:28:40 PM »

I didn't get anything, but I helped my father-in-law buy my nephew his first electric guitar... a sweet Schecter C1 Elite for $329 (retails for $899).  Kicks the crap out of my first guitar, fo' sho', and a great deal to boot.
Kratz
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2007, 11:35:30 PM »

I don't think we technically went... we were in Colorado and hit American Furniture Warehouse on our way home... we bought a leather recliner.

Whoo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: