http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 08:37:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Best player who has ever played football retires this Sunday  (Read 1498 times)
naednek
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2006, 10:02:30 PM »

This Sunday Jerry Rice #80 retires as a 49er this Sunday.  Ironically the 49ers' opponent is Rice's former team, the Seattle Seahawks.

Saturday he will sign with the 49ers only to retire the next day when they play. 

Rice has been a hero to me as a kid, and is the true meaning of an athelete.   

http://www.sf49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=2550&section=PR%20News

The hallmark of Rice’s career was his unparalleled work ethic and demanding off-season training program. His grueling workouts began at Roger Craig’s infamous 2.5 mile hill, carried on to the track for speed running, and then to the football field for route precision before concluding with weights at the gym. Sweat was poured, skills were refined, and that fourth quarter stamina took root.

“I put the work in and it paid off because it took my conditioning to a whole different level,” said Rice. “When everyone else was tired, the opposing team, I was at my best. I was fresh and now I could just go to work and do whatever I had to do to put my team in a position to play.”

Rice set the gold standard for how to train, and how hard one must work to be a superstar. Yet, upon Rice’s initial retirement press conference in Denver in 2005, the Crawford, Mississippi native claimed that all the work he’d put in on and off the grid-iron still didn’t amount to how hard his father worked as a bricklayer.

Jerry Rice's Career Accomplishments

- Three Time Super Bowl Champion - XXIII, XXIV, & XXIX
- Super Bowl XXIII MVP
- Ten-Time Probowl Selection

NFL Records
- Receiving Yards - 22,895
- Receptions 1,549
- Touchdown Receptions 197
- Touchdown Receptions in a singe season 22
- Receiving Yards gained in a single season 1,848
- Consecutive games with at least one reception 274
------------

I'm hoping they put out for one passing play, that would be great.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 10:11:34 PM by naednek » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 10:12:11 PM »

He is the greatest football player of all time, and he will be missed. What I would give for him to suit up with the 49ers for that one game and play just one last time. I can't believe they didnt offer him that much frown

Jerry, thanks!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 10:16:35 PM »

I will be there.

gellar
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 10:27:26 PM »

It is about time he retires.  He's been a disgrace playing the past few years, and extending his playing career the way he has.  Athletes need to release when there career is over, and at least retire somewhat close to what they were.  Rice was horrible at the end.  A real shame that many people will remember him for how poor a player he became, and not for what he once was.  My memories of him will be that he couldn't catch on with the Broncos at the end of his career.  To bad.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 10:35:34 PM »

Quote from: Scott on November 17, 2006, 10:27:26 PM

It is about time he retires.  He's been a disgrace playing the past few years, and extending his playing career the way he has.  Athletes need to release when there career is over, and at least retire somewhat close to what they were.  Rice was horrible at the end.  A real shame that many people will remember him for how poor a player he became, and not for what he once was.  My memories of him will be that he couldn't catch on with the Broncos at the end of his career.  To bad.

Drew Bledsoe Sucks, he's the most over-rated QB in history of the NFL...
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 10:41:35 PM »

Quote from: naednek on November 17, 2006, 10:35:34 PM

But he has a blog!

http://tonyhomo.blogspot.com

gellar
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 11:14:40 PM »

Maybe not the most overrated, but no doubt he sucks!  (His blog is pretty amusing as well). 

I just think its a shame that Rice humiliated himself as a player for the last few years of his career, instead of going out on top.  He wasn't even that bad as a Raider for a bit, but then it got really bad.

---
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 11:37:06 PM »

Jerry Rice is a horrible dancer!  I mean did you see him on Dancing with the Stars!!!

Emmitt was sooooo much better... errr ummm....

ninja
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 12:12:54 AM »

Bledsoe might be the dumbest as well........talking about trivia with his son at school

"We started with a fun little jeopardy style trivia game, in which each father/son pairing was pinned up against the other. Stuart and I didn't get any questions correctly, though you could hardly blame us, because those questions were damn near impossible. One of them asked "What is the currency used in Japan?" I guessed incorrectly and the entire class laughed at me. Like they knew what it was! (Though in retrospect it was pretty dumb of me to guess Canadian Dollar. It's just the only non-american currency I know!)

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 07:15:50 AM »

Quote from: naednek on November 17, 2006, 10:35:34 PM

True that

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 02:28:33 PM »

The thread title threw me off. I was like, Bruce Smith is retiring again?

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 03:52:22 PM »

NOW my jaw is hitting the floor.  Bruce Smith?! ATB, put down the crack pipe.  He's not even the best DE.  Good Lord, he's not even the best DE of his era.

Now this fellow on the other hand...

Sorry ken, but Rice isn't in sole custody of the title 'greatest football player ever'.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 07:44:21 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on November 18, 2006, 03:52:22 PM

NOW my jaw is hitting the floor.  Bruce Smith?! ATB, put down the crack pipe.  He's not even the best DE.  Good Lord, he's not even the best DE of his era.

Now this fellow on the other hand...

Sorry ken, but Rice isn't in sole custody of the title 'greatest football player ever'.
No no no, he really is. Go read deeper into the record books, look at the rings, the performances in big games, the performances for 19 years, then again go LOOK AT THE STATS. They are eye opening, jaw dropping, most likely never matched stats. He is the greatest.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 09:15:49 PM »

I can think of at least two better running backs than walter alone

1)

2)

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 06:18:30 PM »

I was able to go to the game thanks to the generosity of Pyperkub (from OO, not sure he visits here).  I got to see the niners claim 2nd place, stuff the seahawks, and more importantly see Jerry retire.  I was there on his last game as a niner, and that was emotional, but this day took the cake.  It had meaning.  Not only did he retire as a niner, the niners beat the division champion and is now back in the playoff hunt. 

During Jerry's introduction, he was introduced as the Greatest Player Ever, so, i'm not the only one who thinks so (but I do admit, the announcer is biased, plus he'd probably lose his job Tongue)  But no other player can compare to Jerry, and I'm not just referring to stats.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 06:31:44 PM »

Definitely a good time at the game... really sorry I didn't get to meet up with you and Pyp, Ken.  For some reason my phone didn't sync with my laptop when I entered Pyp's # in and I didn't notice until I got to the stadium.

Hope you guys had fun... I sure did.

gellar
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 07:14:29 PM »

Didn't Rice have a candy business on the side, or sell jellybeans or something?  Thought he was on 60 Minutes one time and it showed that.

---
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 11:28:55 PM »

Actually, Jackie Parker, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Parker, the best football player who's ever lived, died on November 7, 2006.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 02:57:38 AM »

A couple comments:
I love Barrry, and will shout down any idiot who thinks Emmitt Smith is the best rb of the 90's.  That said, Walter was a more complete all around back than Barry  (look at their involvement in the respective passing games).  There is no evidence Barry wouldn't have suffered the breakdown that Walter had in his 12th year, so while I would *like* to believe it, there's no hard proof that Barry would have broken the rushing reconrd.  And let me emphasize: Barry Sanders is my FAVORITE RB OF ALL TIME.  Hell, I think he's the most electrifying player of all time.  I just don't think  most football pundits consider him as important as Walter was.

Now, as for Rice, and the 'LOOK AT THE STATS' (caps emphasized) comment, I present you the following:
Jerry Rice (1st 8 years) - 610 rec, 10273 yds, 16.84 ypc, 103 TDS
Randy Moss (1st 8 years) - 634,10147,16.00 ypc, 98 TDs

Those number are almost FREAKING identical.  (And Moss has NEVER had Montana throwing to him.)  These numbers include Moss tanking a year and being injured another.  I'll agree with the statement "Rice is the greatest football player of all time' with a few reservations, but what makes him the best aren't his stats, it's his play.  His stats have been equalled in recent years by the new passing games many teams are playing, but few (IF any) top-flight receiving wr's commit themselves to the other aspects (ie downfield blocking) as Jerry did. 

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 05:35:56 AM »

Quote from: Big Jake on November 21, 2006, 02:57:38 AM

A couple comments:
I love Barrry, and will shout down any idiot who thinks Emmitt Smith is the best rb of the 90's.  That said, Walter was a more complete all around back than Barry  (look at their involvement in the respective passing games).  There is no evidence Barry wouldn't have suffered the breakdown that Walter had in his 12th year, so while I would *like* to believe it, there's no hard proof that Barry would have broken the rushing reconrd.  And let me emphasize: Barry Sanders is my FAVORITE RB OF ALL TIME.  Hell, I think he's the most electrifying player of all time.  I just don't think  most football pundits consider him as important as Walter was.

Now, as for Rice, and the 'LOOK AT THE STATS' (caps emphasized) comment, I present you the following:
Jerry Rice (1st 8 years) - 610 rec, 10273 yds, 16.84 ypc, 103 TDS
Randy Moss (1st 8 years) - 634,10147,16.00 ypc, 98 TDs

Those number are almost FREAKING identical.  (And Moss has NEVER had Montana throwing to him.)  These numbers include Moss tanking a year and being injured another.  I'll agree with the statement "Rice is the greatest football player of all time' with a few reservations, but what makes him the best aren't his stats, it's his play.  His stats have been equalled in recent years by the new passing games many teams are playing, but few (IF any) top-flight receiving wr's commit themselves to the other aspects (ie downfield blocking) as Jerry did. 

I think these stats show more than enough that LOOK AT HIS STATS is equally sufficient to prove his greatness as LOOK AT HIM PLAY-of which I have done both.

NFL records

* Total Touchdowns: 203
    * Receiving Touchdowns:  192
    * Receptions: 1,456
    * Receiving Yards: 21,598
    * Total Yards: 22,146
    * 1,000 Yard Receiving Seasons: 14
    * Consecutive games with an NFL reception: 257
    * Receiving yards in a season: 1,848 in 1995
    * Receiving TDs in a season: 22 in just 12 games played in 1987
    * Games with 100+ receiving yards: 73
    * Games with multiple TDs: 41
    * Consecutive NFL games with a touchdown: 13
    * Consecutive 50-Catch Seasons: 12

Postseason Records

* Receptions: 151
    * Receiving yards: 2,283
    * Receiving touchdowns: 22
    * 100+ receiving yard games:  8
    * Consecutive games with a reception: 28
    * Consecutive 100+ yard games: 3
    * Total touchdowns: 22
    * Total postseason yards: 2,288

Super Bowl Records

* Career Receptions: 33
    * Career Receiving yards: 589
    * Career Receiving TDs: 8
    * Career Touchdowns: 8
    * Most receptions in a game: 11 (SB XXIII)
    * Most receiving yards in a game: 215 (SB XXIII)
    * Most receiving touchdowns in a game: 3 (SB XXIV and SB XXIX)
    * Most touchdowns in a game: 3 (SB XXIV and SB XXIX)
    * Most points: 48
    * Most points in a game: 18
    * Fastest TD scored in a game: 1 minute, 24 seconds (SB XXIV)

Pro Bowl Records

* Career receptions: 37
    * Career receiving yards: 504

Awards

* NFL Rookie of the Year (1985)
    * Sports Illustrated's NFL Player of the Year (1986, 1987, 1990, 1993)
    * 1987 NFL MVP (first receiver to win award since 1951)
    * Len Eshmont Award (1987, 1993--selected by 49er players only)
    * Super Bowl XXIII MVP (1988)
    * 1994 NFC MVP (selected by NFL Players Association)
    * 1995 Pro Bowl MVP

Game Career Highs

* 5 Touchdowns at Atlanta Falcons in 1990 (49er record, tied for 2nd all time)
    * 16 Receptions vs. Los Angleles Rams in 1994
    * 289 Receiving Yards vs. Minnesota Vikings in 1995 (49er record)
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 01:14:52 AM »

*Sigh* There's always someone who DELIBERATELY misses the point.

Hey Cal, maybe you missed the point that almost all of those Rice records are CAREER records.  I was using a current player, and demonstrated that his numbers *through current* are identical to Rice's.  Career stats aren't applicable to someone who hasn't even hit 30 yet.  If an alien came down to earth, landed, and it looked at those stats, it would conclude that those two are roughly equivalent receivers, and it would have no indication that Moss won't play as long as Rice, so it would assume his career numbers would end up roughly the same.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 03:26:13 AM »

Quote from: Big Jake on November 22, 2006, 01:14:52 AM

Hey Cal, maybe you missed the point that almost all of those Rice records are CAREER records.  I was using a current player, and demonstrated that his numbers *through current* are identical to Rice's.  Career stats aren't applicable to someone who hasn't even hit 30 yet.  If an alien came down to earth, landed, and it looked at those stats, it would conclude that those two are roughly equivalent receivers, and it would have no indication that Moss won't play as long as Rice, so it would assume his career numbers would end up roughly the same.

You're the one missing the point.  The career is the point, sunshine.  Until someone meets those criteria, they aren't even worth mentioning.

gellar
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2006, 04:35:31 AM »

Quote from: gellar on November 22, 2006, 03:26:13 AM

Quote from: Big Jake on November 22, 2006, 01:14:52 AM

You're the one missing the point.  The career is the point, sunshine.  Until someone meets those criteria, they aren't even worth mentioning.

gellar

And to even compare Moss to Rice is ludicrous, sure his stats maybe comparable, but overall he's nowhere near Rice in terms of the complete package. 
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 12:53:06 PM »

Nice to see Rice getting something 'official'.

Also nice to see you guys jumping on the "Bledsoe Sucks" bandwagon, 8 years late, but there's still room!  icon_smile

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 02:50:35 PM »

Quote from: Devil on November 22, 2006, 12:53:06 PM

Nice to see Rice getting something 'official'.

Also nice to see you guys jumping on the "Bledsoe Sucks" bandwagon, 8 years late, but there's still room!  icon_smile

Ugh, obviously you missed the sports thread back on GG, I've always said he sucked and is the worlds biggest choker.  Ask Runningman and Scott.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2006, 03:29:41 PM »

Oh, I know you were with me - Just pointing it out to the other clowns!  icon_smile

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2006, 04:16:59 PM »

For god's sake ken, invest in reading 101.  If you scroll back up 8 posts, you might actually notice that I SAID Rice is the best player of all time, and that my sole argument was that STATS ALONE don't prove how much better he is than other receivers, a point you conceeded in your own post.  I never once compared Moss to Rice, ONLY THEIR STATS.

And Gellar, I want to live in your world where 8 = 16 (as in years played).  This just in everyone, Ottis Anderson was a better Rb than Ladainian Tomlinson.  He put up more yards than did Tomlinson, and you know, career output (at the moment where we chose to post) is all that matters, so you know, he's better. I mean, Hey, he won two super bowls! smoke

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2006, 04:19:45 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on November 22, 2006, 04:16:59 PM

And Gellar, I want to live in your world where 8 = 16 (as in years played).  This just in everyone, Ottis Anderson was a better Rb than Ladainian Tomlinson.  He put up more yards than did Tomlinson, and you know, career output (at the moment where we chose to post) is all that matters, so you know, he's better. I mean, Hey, he won two super bowls! smoke

I think we both missed each other's point and were actually agreeing with each other.

We apparently just suck at it.  Lack of practice, and whatnot.

gellar
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2006, 04:32:36 PM »

Yeah, sorry if I was posting like an ass in the meantime. icon_smile 

And I will state the obvious: I expect 5 years from now that Randy will be out of the league (even though he will only be 33, and still physically able to play), and at that time, Rice's career numbers will be a completely valid argument that he is miles away better than Moss.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2006, 04:36:30 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on November 22, 2006, 04:32:36 PM

And I will state the obvious: I expect 5 years from now that Randy will be out of the league (even though he will only be 33, and still physically able to play), and at that time, Rice's career numbers will be a completely valid argument that he is miles away better than Moss.

Five years?  I give him 3, tops.

gellar
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2006, 04:47:13 PM »

I was trying to be generous to the youg man. icon_biggrin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: