http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 04:08:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Best is Yet to Come (Day 2, Bar Exam, Complete)  (Read 1753 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2005, 12:37:44 AM »

So, its over. Today was the multi-state bar exam, 200 of the most difficult questions you will ever see over 6 hours. I went into today thinking it would be my strength. After all, I had done probably about 1000 (no joke) practice questions, done my reading, etc, and figured that this was going to be no problem. After I felt very good about the essays yesterday, I felt even better. Well, let me tell you, todays test was twice as hard as any of the practice tests we did, and they told us our tests were harder than the real deal!! So anyways, I am not the type to really be stressed out by school, tests, whatever-in fact normally I couldn't care less (then why Rage, eh?), but I was a tad bit perturbed about this. Either way, everyone is in the same boat and we are done.

The tentative date for scores is November 4, so I have about 3 months plus not to worry about it. Unfortunately for me, in February I will do this all over again in California, facing a 3 day test considered by most to be the hardest in the country with a passage rate of 48%!! Yay me smile

Either way, I appreciate all your support really for the entire time the site has existed. Everyone has been tremendously supportive and encouraging about school and the bar, even those of you I am close to that know that I was bored silly and can't wait to find a job I will actually like!

So now, I get ready to move in about 2.5 weeks (if I can get this damn apartment situation squared away), look for a "real job", think about the future, and oh yeah, play games until my hands bleed!!!

WOOOOTTTTTT!!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 04:51:44 AM »

Grats. Im sure you did great. Me now I could never do anything like that. I cant pay attention long enough for anything. Get to gaming now. You're behind.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 06:18:25 AM »

Guy on my frisbee team is taking the Bar now too. I guess it's logical that everyone takes it at once, huh?

And I once took a 22 hour state-sponsered aptitude test in high school. The test itself was a total joke, but sitting there for that long was excruciating (it was over the course of 4 or 5 days IIRC). A couple people in my class started drawing pictures in the spaces for the essay questions by the end of it.

I also just moved today. Granted it was only about 150 miles, but it was still a total pain in the ass. Have fun!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 01:39:04 PM »

Thanks guys! 22 hours is mindboggling Koz. At the end of the multiple choice yesterday I was jabbing my leg with my pencil to stay awake. It was tiring. I slept about 11 hours yesterday to recover from the test and lack of sleep. Yuck. To think that all this work and for 3 months you have to forget about it until your scores come through. Crazy!

Did you move states? I thought you would be heading back to school aroundish this time.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 03:29:34 PM »

Gratz Rage!

Once you're settled in the new place, you'll need to Christen it with a long, intense gaming ceremony. Something long enough and fun enough to drive the memory of the test away.  biggrin

Can't imagine waiting 3 months for a score though. Yikes! I bet you aced it though.  Cool

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 03:32:21 PM »

Hey Rage,

Teh woman is taking the CA bar right now and also said the multi-state was INSANELY hard.  She's on day 3 right now.

I gotta say, I'm glad I never went to law school.  There's no way I could jump through the hoops they make you lawyers do.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 03:45:39 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"
Hey Rage,

Teh woman is taking the CA bar right now and also said the multi-state was INSANELY hard.  She's on day 3 right now.

I gotta say, I'm glad I never went to law school.  There's no way I could jump through the hoops they make you lawyers do.

gellar

Ugh. I spent half the summer studying for Cali, and then decided I didnt have enough time to prepare so spent three weeks basically doing Maryland, and then in 6 months I get to do that. But I digress. Your poor woman is doing what is called the Performance Exam today. It is two 3 hour problems/memos, where you are given about a 40 or 50 page case packet with a couple of real cases, statute extracts, and a long ass fact pattern and are basically told: Write a memo and tell us what legal position we should take on this and why.

Its long, not particularly hard, boring, and requires a lot of concentration. I feel for her. Plus the California essays (6 1 hour mixed subjects) are normally brutally hard. Yeah. All the best of luck to her gellar. What kind of job is she getting? I am moving to LA hopefully in a few weeks (I know you just moved out frown ), but I dont think I will practice law for at least the first year-I wouldnt mind working with a game dev for a bit while I get settled, but god help me I am getting out of Maryland, and I do love California.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 03:49:48 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Quote from: "gellar"
Hey Rage,

gellar

Ugh. I spent half the summer studying for Cali, and then decided I didnt have enough time to prepare so spent three weeks basically doing Maryland, and then in 6 months I get to do that. But I digress. Your poor woman is doing what is called the Performance Exam today. It is two 3 hour problems/memos, where you are given about a 40 or 50 page case packet with a couple of real cases, statute extracts, and a long ass fact pattern and are basically told: Write a memo and tell us what legal position we should take on this and why.

Its long, not particularly hard, boring, and requires a lot of concentration. I feel for her. Plus the California essays (6 1 hour mixed subjects) are normally brutally hard. Yeah. All the best of luck to her gellar. What kind of job is she getting? I am moving to LA hopefully in a few weeks (I know you just moved out frown ), but I dont think I will practice law for at least the first year-I wouldnt mind working with a game dev for a bit while I get settled, but god help me I am getting out of Maryland, and I do love California.

Actually, today is what she's looking forward to the most.  In her BarBri classes, she always placed best in the Performance Exams part.  She has a lot of training in this sort of thing, pretty much working for law firms exclusively since her freshman year of undergrad.  She's also an excellent writer.  That being said, the passage rate for teh CA bar is still insane.  Thankfully I'm doing well enough to support her if she needs to take it again.

She really wants to get into estate planning, but that field requires more apprenticeship than she can probably find at this point.  With the move to NorCal, she's going to look heavily at corporate/IP law.  She has zero interest in litigation.

And if you're looking to get into the gamedev industry, I have a few contacts I could give a ring.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 04:01:31 PM »

Estate Planning is good business. Good money, not usually long hours, not terribly hard work, etc. I can't imagine doing corporate law, but to each their own. She probably knows this, but a great way to increase your hire-ability as a estate/trusts/etc. attorney is to get that LLM in tax, so maybe something to mention.

How are you liking San Francisco? I know you weren't high on LA, but at least from my visits I really enjoyed it-plus if I dont love it in a year or two I can live closer to my family in San Diego.

As for getting into the industry, man I would love to work at that for a while, whether in a legal capacity or otherwise. I have one position in mind I think I might qualify for, I will shoot you an email and see if you know any of those guys. At the worst perhaps you would have some cover letter advice.

Thanks man.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 04:11:28 PM »

I live in the Silicon Valley and not the City itself, so it's a pretty big difference from LA.  Loving it so far... I've turned a 2 hour a day commute into a 30 minute a day one, so I've reclaimed a lot of my life back just due to that.  The area is much quieter, less crowded, but just as lively.  I like it here a lot more than LA, that's for sure.

As far as the gaming industry goes... I'm not a fan.  It's too political and honestly, doesn't pay enough.  I backed out of it years ago.

gellar
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 06:38:29 PM »

Thanks guys! 22 hours is mindboggling Koz. At the end of the multiple choice yesterday I was jabbing my leg with my pencil to stay awake. It was tiring. I slept about 11 hours yesterday to recover from the test and lack of sleep. Yuck. To think that all this work and for 3 months you have to forget about it until your scores come through. Crazy!

Did you move states? I thought you would be heading back to school aroundish this time.

I be done with school (graduated a couple years) ago. I'm moving from Maine down with the Massholes outside of Boston.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 07:59:01 PM »

Quote from: "Koz"

I be done with school (graduated a couple years) ago. I'm moving from Maine down with the Massholes outside of Boston.

Sorry to take this off of this topic, but...Where about in Maine did you live?
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 09:29:40 PM »

Went to school up in Waterville for four years and then lived in Brunswick and Portland.
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 09:52:28 PM »

Rage, while waiting for your scores, you'll have time to join me and Koz on a  WoW PvP server.  You know you want to.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2005, 02:01:07 AM »

All the cool kids are doing it.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2005, 02:08:12 AM »

Don't do it Rage!

Friends don't let friends do WoW.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2005, 02:50:11 AM »

Quote from: "Koz"
Went to school up in Waterville for four years and then lived in Brunswick and Portland.

I was up in near Portland last year. Great place. Cape Elisabeth(something like that :wink: ). We stayed RIGHT on the ocean. Inn by the sea was the name of the place. GREAT time. We are considering moving up there sometime...I`m definitely up for that.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2005, 03:29:28 AM »

That bar exam sounds like hell.  Egads.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: