http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 02:43:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Apple iPad  (Read 50085 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: November 05, 2013, 10:19:32 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on November 05, 2013, 09:30:51 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 05, 2013, 07:25:31 PM

Quote from: disarm on November 05, 2013, 07:21:40 PM

I just got my fiancÚ an Air on release day, and it is a really slick device...significantly lighter and easier to hold than the previous iPad, and very quick to load apps.

I was a little surprised to compare it to my almost two year old Asus Transformer Prime,however, and realize that they're pretty much the same thickness, feel like the same weight, and only differ in their longest dimension because the Prime has a 10-inch 16:9 screen. Apple talks up the Air like it's a marvel of engineering, and it is a good step from previous iPads, but they're not breaking new ground this time. I still think it's a pretty impressive device though.

Does the Asus have the same CPU/GPU performance and battery life as the Air?  I would think that it's* much further ahead (aside from the 2 year gap in tech). *the Air

I think he was getting at the thinness/weight is really not that much better than what has been put out from other companies in the past.

I understand, but if it's thin and light because there's nothing inside and the battery lasts 3 hours because it's tiny (I don't know the details of the asus), then what does it matter?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: November 05, 2013, 11:16:05 PM »

Penny Arcade Report was noting that Target stores are giving $200 Target gift cards for ANY functional iPad, regardless of model or condition [ONLY Nov. 3-9]. So if you have a crappy old 1st gen or iPad 2 that still works, it seems like a good deal. On more recent models, can probably get better from Gazelle and the zillion other trade-in companies (or eBay etc.). I might to do it with my 3rd gen for simplicity's sake (most trade-ins I've checked on it are about $210 range).

Here's Target's info link:
http://www.targettradeinprogram.com/
Between November 3rd thru 9th visit your local Target Mobility store and trade in any iPad for at least $200 to use towards the purchase of a new iPad *. To take advantage of this offer simply follow the below steps:

Step 1: Find your local Target mobility store by clicking here and selecting "Target Mobile" under store services.
Step 2: Your device will be appraised in-store at the mobility kiosk.
Step 3: $200 minimum promotional credit will be issued on a Target Trade-In Gift Card and is redeemable in any Target store.
As far as the iPad's history, you all should go back to the first page of this thread and read all the complaints and skepticism when it launched in 2010 (how's it better than a netbook? No multitasking? No Flash Support? What do I do with it? What a useless product. Who's gonna buy it?). Lots of folks slammed it as a heavy (1.5lbs), overpriced, overhyped piece of junk in 2010. Now they slam it as a light, overpriced, over hyped produced out-innovated by other products. Things never really changed.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:21:43 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: November 06, 2013, 01:44:04 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 05, 2013, 10:19:32 PM

Quote from: SkyLander on November 05, 2013, 09:30:51 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 05, 2013, 07:25:31 PM

Quote from: disarm on November 05, 2013, 07:21:40 PM

I just got my fiancÚ an Air on release day, and it is a really slick device...significantly lighter and easier to hold than the previous iPad, and very quick to load apps.

I was a little surprised to compare it to my almost two year old Asus Transformer Prime,however, and realize that they're pretty much the same thickness, feel like the same weight, and only differ in their longest dimension because the Prime has a 10-inch 16:9 screen. Apple talks up the Air like it's a marvel of engineering, and it is a good step from previous iPads, but they're not breaking new ground this time. I still think it's a pretty impressive device though.

Does the Asus have the same CPU/GPU performance and battery life as the Air?  I would think that it's* much further ahead (aside from the 2 year gap in tech). *the Air

I think he was getting at the thinness/weight is really not that much better than what has been put out from other companies in the past.

I understand, but if it's thin and light because there's nothing inside and the battery lasts 3 hours because it's tiny (I don't know the details of the asus), then what does it matter?

My point was mainly in regard to the form factor of the device (dimensions and weight)...the major difference that Apple is touting between the Air, the iPad4, and other competing devices. Processing speed is obviously improved two years further down the road, but it's the size and weight that it seems most people are really talking about. My point was that Apple's latest isn't really that much more compact or lighter than options that came well before it and were top of the line compared to the competition of the time.

To clarify a little bit, the Asus Transformer Prime was the top-of-the-line tablet when it was released in early 2012. It was the first to use nVidia's Tegra3 processor (making it the first quad-core tablet), has a 10-inch 16:9 display, 32GB of storage, a microSD slot, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, microHDMI output, and is good for about 10 hours of battery life. While it may not be as fast as the iPad Air, it packed an impressive amount of power and features in a similarly compact package, and it did it two years ago.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: November 06, 2013, 01:54:32 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 05, 2013, 11:16:05 PM

Penny Arcade Report was noting that Target stores are giving $200 Target gift cards for ANY functional iPad, regardless of model or condition [ONLY Nov. 3-9]. So if you have a crappy old 1st gen or iPad 2 that still works, it seems like a good deal. On more recent models, can probably get better from Gazelle and the zillion other trade-in companies (or eBay etc.). I might to do it with my 3rd gen for simplicity's sake (most trade-ins I've checked on it are about $210 range).

Thanks for highlighting this deal... I just took advantage of it to unload my clunky 1st gen iPad. Unfortunately, they were all out of iPad Airs (this despite their online site saying the store had it online), so I'm now the proud owner of a $200 target gift card but no iPad.

My kid is gonna freak when there's no iPad in the house when he wakes up tomorrow.  icon_biggrin
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: November 06, 2013, 07:28:08 PM »

Quote from: disarm on November 06, 2013, 01:44:04 AM

To clarify a little bit, the Asus Transformer Prime was the top-of-the-line tablet when it was released in early 2012. It was the first to use nVidia's Tegra3 processor (making it the first quad-core tablet), has a 10-inch 16:9 display, 32GB of storage, a microSD slot, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, microHDMI output, and is good for about 10 hours of battery life. While it may not be as fast as the iPad Air, it packed an impressive amount of power and features in a similarly compact package, and it did it two years ago.

Just for interest's sake:

Transformer Prime weighs 586g, approx 1.3 pounds

iPad 2 is 601-613g (depending on model), or 1.3+ pounds

iPad 4 was 650-660g (depending on model), 1.44-1.46 pounds

iPad Air is 469-478g (depending on model), just about exactly 1 pound

It's all relative, as these are ALL "similarly compact" packages if you aren't being picky.  But in terms of percentages, the Air is 20% lighter than  the Prime and about 30% lighter than the 4 while gaining performance, which is no small engineering feat depending on your perspective.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: November 07, 2013, 04:28:32 AM »

Just a quick update: I got a 16GB Air today... and my goodness, the upgrade from my old 1st gen model is enormous! Everything is so snappy. Even my kid's dinky little toddler games look completely new with the higher resolution and increased animation and responsiveness. Though I couldn't have predicted that his favorite thing from the upgrade is Siri. He keeps saying, "show me Mars!" and loves how a google image of it pops up. Ah, to be two again...

Thanks again, Blackjack, for highlighting the Target deal for me, otherwise I never would have pulled the trigger. I can't believe they gave me $200 for my old one.
Ănima
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: November 09, 2013, 06:35:22 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on November 06, 2013, 01:54:32 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on November 05, 2013, 11:16:05 PM

Thanks for highlighting this deal... I just took advantage of it to unload my clunky 1st gen iPad. Unfortunately, they were all out of iPad Airs (this despite their online site saying the store had it online), so I'm now the proud owner of a $200 target gift card but no iPad.

My kid is gonna freak when there's no iPad in the house when he wakes up tomorrow.  icon_biggrin

Yes, thanks for letting us know! I did the same thing as Captain Caveman. In completely unrelated news, I have a $200 gift card for sale...  paranoid ninja icon_biggrin

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: November 12, 2013, 11:00:54 AM »

The mini with retina display is available for sale on the online store now FYI.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: November 14, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »

Picked up a mini with retina and I love it.  Perfect combination of size and power, especially now that it's the same guts as the Air (although slower clocked processor - same as the 5s).  Been envious of my wife's mini, but hated the non-retina screen. 
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: November 14, 2013, 10:42:34 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 14, 2013, 06:08:49 PM

Picked up a mini with retina and I love it.  Perfect combination of size and power, especially now that it's the same guts as the Air (although slower clocked processor - same as the 5s).  Been envious of my wife's mini, but hated the non-retina screen. 

I wasn't as impressed with the rMini as I thought I would be, but ultimately I still prefer the form factor for gaming so it's my #1 goto guy at home.  Also glad to have the 128GB of memory. In the mean time, I've decided to re-purpose my Air primarily as a work tablet (still kind of experimental).
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: November 16, 2013, 11:59:38 PM »

My battery life is off the charts

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: