http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 11:52:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Apple iPad  (Read 49976 times)
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1200 on: October 22, 2013, 11:26:06 PM »

Posted on my iPad 1 with iOS 5.

That is all.
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: October 23, 2013, 12:10:36 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 22, 2013, 10:06:55 PM

Quote from: Lee on October 22, 2013, 10:00:14 PM

Anyone interested in buying a white iPad 3 64 gig?  icon_smile

FWIW, I have a black iPad 3 64 gig and some searching just now showed a trade-in value of $241 through Apple or ~$300 at Glyde.

Wow, if I can get that much for it, I will just trade it in. Thanks Wonderpug.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1202 on: October 23, 2013, 12:32:55 AM »

Wow. It was like Christmas for Apple fans. I'm downloading Mavericks to my Macbook now. I already got about 6 hours of battery life. If the claim of an additional hour is true I'm going to be ecstatic.

Ipad air on Nov 1? Just take my money now, Apple.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: October 23, 2013, 12:41:55 AM »

Quote from: Lee on October 23, 2013, 12:10:36 AM

FWIW, I have a black iPad 3 64 gig and some searching just now showed a trade-in value of $241 through Apple or ~$300 at Glyde.

lol, and my reaction was "if that's all I'll get, I may as well hold onto this iPad a few more years." smile
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: October 23, 2013, 12:48:16 AM »

I am curious to see how the iPad Air feels.  I thought for sure I'd go for the retina mini, but now I'm not sure.  I hope the retail stores get them in before release so I can get my hands on one.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: October 23, 2013, 02:23:46 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 23, 2013, 12:48:16 AM

I am curious to see how the iPad Air feels.  I thought for sure I'd go for the retina mini, but now I'm not sure.  I hope the retail stores get them in before release so I can get my hands on one.

Yeah, I'm also not sure which one I want to pine after. The mini feels perfect, but I don't know how much of that is due to the size and how much due to the weight.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: October 23, 2013, 02:46:45 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 23, 2013, 02:23:46 AM

Yeah, I'm also not sure which one I want to pine after. The mini feels perfect, but I don't know how much of that is due to the size and how much due to the weight.

I too am wondering the same thing.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: October 23, 2013, 03:08:09 AM »

The iPad Air looks great and all, but I'm sticking with the red-headed stepchild (AKA iPad 3) for a bit longer yet. My plan is to upgrade when it no longer supports the latest iOS.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: October 23, 2013, 03:11:17 AM »

Quote from: gellar on October 23, 2013, 02:46:45 AM

ipad mini is still much lighter than the ipad air.
the new ipad mini with retina is about 6% lighter than the old ipad mini and 30% lighter than the ipad air.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1209 on: October 23, 2013, 05:39:08 AM »

So the new mini is identical to the ipad air except for size?  Hmm.  Tough choice.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: October 23, 2013, 06:48:40 AM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on October 23, 2013, 05:39:08 AM

So the new mini is identical to the ipad air except for size?  Hmm.  Tough choice.

Yep
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: October 23, 2013, 07:03:51 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 23, 2013, 12:41:55 AM

Quote from: Lee on October 23, 2013, 12:10:36 AM

lol, and my reaction was "if that's all I'll get, I may as well hold onto this iPad a few more years." smile

Yeah, for ever reason I was thinking I paid $500 for the thing, not $800. How much are they going for on eBay? I dread the thought of dealing with eBay or Craigslist.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: October 24, 2013, 06:20:52 AM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on October 23, 2013, 03:11:17 AM

Quote from: gellar on October 23, 2013, 02:46:45 AM

ipad mini is still much lighter than the ipad air.
the new ipad mini with retina is about 6% lighter than the old ipad mini and 30% lighter than the ipad air.

I'll probably end up with both at some point but it's definitely a tough call.  Throughout the iPad years I always insisted that "about one pound" should be the perfect weight, but then along came iPad mini and kind of shifted my perspective.  While I still love the larger original size screen, the truth is I use the mini far more.  It's really a great size as it works well in one hand and for gaming I can pretty much hold it in landscape and have both thumbs cover the whole screen which is very nice.  While it's heavier than a Kindle, it is already light enough that it doesn't really matter.  I really enjoy the overall feel of it and the retina screen should only make it better.

But at one pound, the iPad Air could really change the game again.  The recent version feels really close to being "light enough" to me, so bringing the weight down again could very well take it over the top.  For me I really like the option of holding the unit in one hand and using the second to interact with the device.  The longer and more comfortable that can be maintained, the better. 
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: November 01, 2013, 07:16:22 AM »

That was an easier buying experience than it was for the iPad 3 when apple.com was getting hammered and couldn't keep up. Just used the iPhone app at 0301 and now have A Space Gray 64 GB wifi with green Smart Cover to pick up in Orlando later today. Hopefully the pick up proves to be as easy.

I am tempted to just skip work today and head out to pick it up but it's my last day at work. I wouldn't be missed, but I still should probably make an appearance. I guess.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: November 01, 2013, 12:49:09 PM »

I ordered an iPad Air for in-store pickup today. I'll probably pick it up after work. My 32GB iPad 3rd gen has been annoying me capacity-wise. Even now I can't get it to fully synch stuff, just not enough room.

My computer happened to crash during the Act 3 end boss sequence in Path of Exile in a full co-op game, about 3:05 a.m. EST, so it seemed like some sort of Sign to order.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1215 on: November 01, 2013, 04:20:29 PM »

I slept through my alarm. Gah! Woke up around 7, grabbed my iPhone and ordered an iPad air for store pickup today. This beats the hell out of past launches!

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: November 01, 2013, 04:52:15 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on November 01, 2013, 04:20:29 PM

I slept through my alarm. Gah! Woke up around 7, grabbed my iPhone and ordered an iPad air for store pickup today. This beats the hell out of past launches!

This no pre-order thing may be a-ok!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: November 01, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »

Mentioned elsewhere -- was on an epic Path of Exile game after taking a little nap last night. All but one of us had an epic game crash but it was almost exactly 3 a.m. EST so I decided to place my order and let the PoE end boss wait.  icon_smile Will have to wait until after work. I got dark space grey whatever and a similar color Smart Cover.

I really love the ZeroChroma theater stand/back case for my 3rd gen (http://www.zerochroma.com/product/vario-sc-ipad-2-3rd-gen), and I hope they're working on a thinner one for iPad Air. Although they haven't announced anything yet though, their blog has played up Air so I assume it's at least on their radar screen.

Playing
PC
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: November 01, 2013, 05:52:32 PM »

I put my order in at 12:01am PST (that's just around bedtime for me anyway) for in-store pickup.  Got to the mall around 9ish, walked in to the store, showed them my pickup email and was out in like 5 minutes.  I have never had an easier experience with any iProduct launch dating back to the original iPhone.  Maybe just lucky this time, but it was pretty nice.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: November 01, 2013, 05:58:09 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 01, 2013, 05:52:32 PM

I put my order in at 12:01am PST (that's just around bedtime for me anyway) for in-store pickup.  Got to the mall around 9ish, walked in to the store, showed them my pickup email and was out in like 5 minutes.  I have never had an easier experience with any iProduct launch dating back to the original iPhone.  Maybe just lucky this time, but it was pretty nice.

Well how is it???  Do we wait for retina mini or is this the sweet spot?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: November 01, 2013, 09:31:29 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 01, 2013, 05:58:09 PM

Quote from: rittchard on November 01, 2013, 05:52:32 PM

Well how is it???  Do we wait for retina mini or is this the sweet spot?

Still at work so I haven't really played with it.  I picked it up and while clearly lighter, it still has some heft to it in a way the mini does not. 

I have a feeling the retina mini will still be the preferred choice for gaming, but I should have a better idea after getting some time on it this weekend.
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1221 on: November 01, 2013, 09:35:46 PM »

The iPad Air is something else. I went in to pick up my black 16 gig AT&T and stopped at the display to see how they felt. It's a bit of a shock when you pick one up because they are so light now. It really is an iPad mini with bigger screen. After handling the device I decided that I liked the white better. They were really cool about it and said they had plenty in stock so I was able to return my preorder and get a white one. When have you ever heard of an apple store saying they had plenty in stock on a launch day?

Anyway. I'm pretty blown away by the new size and weight. I think they have stuck the perfect balance between what a tablet should be while maintaining great battery life and a lot of power. The bezel is so small that when you hold the iPad and read you kind of forget you're on a tablet. Not sure if that makes sense ...

I think this might be a perfect 10" tablet for gaming. My iPad 4 was great but the weight made me want to avoid dual stick style games. They are great for the first fifteen minutes but then the iPad gets heavy.

I'm off download X-COM and KOTOR to give it a work out.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: November 01, 2013, 09:43:49 PM »

Great upgrade. So light you can easily hold it with one hand and not get tired. All my complaints about performance on iOS 7 are gone. Very zippy. Very impressed. Only negative is there is a bit of darkness on the long edges on a white screen, but that is nitpicking.

New Smart Cover feels very cheap. I had a leather cover on my 3, and the plastic one looks and feels very cheap. It does attach ok, but bubbles up in the middle just a bit. Not a big deal, just wish I could use my old leather cover.
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1223 on: November 02, 2013, 01:05:51 AM »

Quote from: Lee on November 01, 2013, 09:43:49 PM

New Smart Cover feels very cheap. I had a leather cover on my 3, and the plastic one looks and feels very cheap. It does attach ok, but bubbles up in the middle just a bit. Not a big deal, just wish I could use my old leather cover.

I'm surprised they weren't offering a leather case this time around. I got a red cover and it also bubbles up a bit in the middle. I think this happened on my mini as well but not any more.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: November 02, 2013, 01:46:43 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on November 02, 2013, 01:05:51 AM

Quote from: Lee on November 01, 2013, 09:43:49 PM

I'm surprised they weren't offering a leather case this time around. I got a red cover and it also bubbles up a bit in the middle. I think this happened on my mini as well but not any more.
All the "smart cases" are leather, just not the "smart covers," afik:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MF052LL/A/ipad-air-smart-case-product-red

I'm holding out for ZeroChroma to do a thinner version of its infinitely adjustable theater type stands which I loved on my 3rd gen model.

So I decided I'm sick of passing on apps cause I don't have room. It shouldn't be a problem now.  icon_smile

It really is insanely light and thin now. But I don't feel like I do with my iPhone 5 where my large hands just don't feel safe clutching something so thin. The Air still (esp. with Smart Cover folded back) has enough to grasp on that I don't feel worried about dropping it. So far.  icon_smile And while I think the Mini's still a better bet for wanting to grasp it in one hand I can grasp it  now that's narrow (per blurry photo here).

The store I went to set up lines outside the store for "in store pick up orders" and those hoping to get it opening day. It really didn't take much of a wait and it seemed to reduce chaos in the store.

Playing
PC
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: November 02, 2013, 11:19:59 AM »

I saw that about the cases, thanks Blackjack. My iPad almost never leaves my house so I didn't want a case that would just bulk it up. The more I look at/use the my new green smart cover the more I dislike it. I already knew I didn't like any of the colors, but I wanted something a bit more colorful than black so got a green one. A dark green would have looked so much better than this pastel green. I have a feeling this thing is going to pick up dirt easily too and will look even worse after awhile.

Even though the Air is incredibly light, I still want a mini for a reader. I briefly had a Nexus 7 and Kindle HDX 7" (returned both, Nexus was defecting, didn't like blue fringe of HDX) and really like the size/weight for an in bed reading/browsing. Apple really is missing the bus on their price structure. I would probably pick up a 16gb mini if it was $300 or less, but I can't justify $400 for it.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: November 03, 2013, 03:00:48 PM »

I grabbed a 32G iPad Air Friday night.  I had been on the fence between getting a Mini and iPad4 for months and months, and this feels almost like the best of both worlds.  I also got a blue smart cover, which feels fine to me.  I may add some sort of rear shell in conjunction with the smart cover when those start rolling out from the third-party manufacturers.  I just don't want to add too much weight.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: November 03, 2013, 03:20:53 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on November 03, 2013, 03:00:48 PM

I grabbed a 32G iPad Air Friday night.  I had been on the fence between getting a Mini and iPad4 for months and months, and this feels almost like the best of both worlds.  I also got a blue smart cover, which feels fine to me.  I may add some sort of rear shell in conjunction with the smart cover when those start rolling out from the third-party manufacturers.  I just don't want to add too much weight.

Did you see the smart cases? Back shell with a Smart Cover attached.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: November 03, 2013, 04:31:39 PM »

Quote from: Lee on November 03, 2013, 03:20:53 PM

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on November 03, 2013, 03:00:48 PM

I grabbed a 32G iPad Air Friday night.  I had been on the fence between getting a Mini and iPad4 for months and months, and this feels almost like the best of both worlds.  I also got a blue smart cover, which feels fine to me.  I may add some sort of rear shell in conjunction with the smart cover when those start rolling out from the third-party manufacturers.  I just don't want to add too much weight.

Did you see the smart cases? Back shell with a Smart Cover attached.

I did, but at least at this point I don't think I want a full one-piece case like that.  I'd like to be able to easily take the cover off for extended handheld use, though it looks like some of the rear shells are designed to keep the Smart Cover anchored.  If I cannot easily remove the cover when desired, I might consider something that has a small magnet on the rear that will keep the smart cover open and flat against the back of the case.  The wirecutter recommended the Joy Factory Smart Suit for previous iPads, so we'll see how those get reviewed once the Air versions are out.  I think I'd still rather just be able to remove the cover, but I'll have to use the tablet for a few weeks to see what would fit my usage best.  Other than my phone, I have a basic Kindle, and I just use a sleeve case for that so I can read unencumbered.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 04:35:18 PM by Freezer-TPF- » Logged

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: November 03, 2013, 04:37:36 PM »

Quote from: Lee on November 02, 2013, 11:19:59 AM

I saw that about the cases, thanks Blackjack. My iPad almost never leaves my house so I didn't want a case that would just bulk it up. The more I look at/use the my new green smart cover the more I dislike it. I already knew I didn't like any of the colors, but I wanted something a bit more colorful than black so got a green one. A dark green would have looked so much better than this pastel green. I have a feeling this thing is going to pick up dirt easily too and will look even worse after awhile.

Even though the Air is incredibly light, I still want a mini for a reader. I briefly had a Nexus 7 and Kindle HDX 7" (returned both, Nexus was defecting, didn't like blue fringe of HDX) and really like the size/weight for an in bed reading/browsing. Apple really is missing the bus on their price structure. I would probably pick up a 16gb mini if it was $300 or less, but I can't justify $400 for it.
I empathize on color, you can always exchange it for a different color if you have the receipt.  icon_smile

On my iPad 3rd gen, I got a light grey Smart Cover thinking it would go well with a white iPad. But that color cover was a horrific finger-print attractor and every smudge showed up as a blot and was hard to clean. I kinda waited too long to figure that out so eventually bought a black one for that, and also a black one for the Air and it's fine. Nowadays I worry less about color style then if the cover's gonna look all dingy in a few days time. icon_smile

If Zerochroma doesn't do an ultralight theater stand back-case for Air then I might just get another Belkin back lid (http://www.belkin.com/us/F7N083-Belkin/p/P-F7N083/ - Amazon and stores'll likely sell it closer to $20). I had one for my 3rd gen ipad and it was fine though the plastic seemed to get sort of "cloudy" over time.
====================

If you want to take all "mystery" out of iPad Air, iFixit has an interesting "teardown":
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+Air+Teardown/18907
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 04:44:12 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: November 04, 2013, 03:57:33 PM »

Handy Apple store availability tracker (though, you can find iPad Air at Walmart, Target, Best Buy etc. etc. etc. too):
http://www.apple-tracker.com/

*Despite the premium price, the 128GB model seems really popular though perhaps they just manufactured fewer of them.

Playing
PC
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1231 on: November 04, 2013, 03:57:38 PM »

Looks like I got about 12 hours on my first full iPad Air charge. Sheesh.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: November 04, 2013, 04:10:10 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 04, 2013, 03:57:33 PM

Handy Apple store availability tracker (though, you can find iPad Air at Walmart, Target, Best Buy etc. etc. etc. too):
http://www.apple-tracker.com/

*Despite the premium price, the 128GB model seems really popular though perhaps they just manufactured fewer of them.

I'm thinking they manufactured much less of the high end capacity models.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: November 05, 2013, 12:46:48 PM »

I'm really torn on the Air versus the new Mini. On the one hand, I really like my iPad 2 (which is going to my grandmother as a Skype machine when I get a new one) - on the other hand, everyone I know that has a Mini raves about how the form factor is nicer/better/more usable.

Those with the Air - does the reduced weight make it noticeably easier to do reading/browsing/etc for a while?

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: November 05, 2013, 01:41:43 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on November 05, 2013, 12:46:48 PM

I'm really torn on the Air versus the new Mini. On the one hand, I really like my iPad 2 (which is going to my grandmother as a Skype machine when I get a new one) - on the other hand, everyone I know that has a Mini raves about how the form factor is nicer/better/more usable.

Those with the Air - does the reduced weight make it noticeably easier to do reading/browsing/etc for a while?
The ipad 2 weighed 1.33-1.35 lbs, so you'll definitely notice the .33-.35 lb difference. Air is also .7" narrower:
http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

And definitely I can hold Air by one hand without stress, and if it's in one's lap you won't notice it's there. Wait, that sounds wrong  icon_lol You know what I mean.

Imho, a Mini makes sense if taking it everywhere and sheer portability is a consideration, maybe if you travel frequently. But the Air has the same thickness now. It comes down to if a 1.3-1.6" difference in the other dimensions and .27 lb diff) really, uh, makes a difference  icon_smile

I might get a cheap (19.99) case back from Kensington:
http://www.kensington.com/kensington/us/us/v/3361/1506/cornercase™-corner-back-protection-for-ipad®-air-.aspx
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:44:23 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: November 05, 2013, 05:45:32 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on November 05, 2013, 12:46:48 PM

Yes - it is noticeably easier compared to any of the previous versions.  It's fast, the screen is just as fantastic as before, the graphics with the new chip are amazing.  For internet browsing, I don't think there is a better device.  Also I don't know if I'm imagining things but somehow the sound out of the speakers seems better/louder as well, which is odd considering the super thin form factor.

That said, after playing with it over the weekend, I still believe the Mini is the better overall form factor for prolonged use (gaming and reading).  I can hold the Air in one hand for quite a while, but I still find myself ultimately balancing one of the edges on something for relief.  The Mini is also easier to type on.  The Air in portrait mode is sized right to allow fast thumb typing, but because the keyboard is on the bottom the balance is still off.  With the Mini you just don't have any of these issues.

If comfort for extended periods of use is your bigger concern, I'd go with the Mini.  If you want the larger screen, which again is excellent for browsing, gaming and video viewing, go with the Air.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: November 05, 2013, 07:21:40 PM »

I just got my fiancé an Air on release day, and it is a really slick device...significantly lighter and easier to hold than the previous iPad, and very quick to load apps.

I was a little surprised to compare it to my almost two year old Asus Transformer Prime,however, and realize that they're pretty much the same thickness, feel like the same weight, and only differ in their longest dimension because the Prime has a 10-inch 16:9 screen. Apple talks up the Air like it's a marvel of engineering, and it is a good step from previous iPads, but they're not breaking new ground this time. I still think it's a pretty impressive device though.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: November 05, 2013, 07:25:31 PM »

Quote from: disarm on November 05, 2013, 07:21:40 PM

I just got my fiancé an Air on release day, and it is a really slick device...significantly lighter and easier to hold than the previous iPad, and very quick to load apps.

I was a little surprised to compare it to my almost two year old Asus Transformer Prime,however, and realize that they're pretty much the same thickness, feel like the same weight, and only differ in their longest dimension because the Prime has a 10-inch 16:9 screen. Apple talks up the Air like it's a marvel of engineering, and it is a good step from previous iPads, but they're not breaking new ground this time. I still think it's a pretty impressive device though.

Does the Asus have the same CPU/GPU performance and battery life as the Air?  I would think that it's* much further ahead (aside from the 2 year gap in tech). *the Air
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:28:07 PM by leo8877 » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: November 05, 2013, 08:37:36 PM »

This amusing video might be good motivation for getting a hard case for one's iPad Air.  icon_smile

iPad Air vs Airsoft MP7 (also includes slow-mo drop tests on hard surfaces, dunk tests etc.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JNTx4zy19w
*Needless to say, given now thin it is now, and how it's mostly put together with great gobs of industrial glue, it doesn't hold up well.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:39:34 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: November 05, 2013, 09:30:51 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 05, 2013, 07:25:31 PM

Quote from: disarm on November 05, 2013, 07:21:40 PM

Does the Asus have the same CPU/GPU performance and battery life as the Air?  I would think that it's* much further ahead (aside from the 2 year gap in tech). *the Air

I think he was getting at the thinness/weight is really not that much better than what has been put out from other companies in the past.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: