http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 03:11:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Apple iPad  (Read 51353 times)
ydejin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: August 20, 2011, 06:39:37 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on August 20, 2011, 04:18:26 PM

Quote from: ydejin on August 20, 2011, 08:06:18 AM

Maybe Apple could focus on making a really great platform that has lots of cool stuff on it, and selling lots and lots of iPads.

In the most recent quarter that ended in late June, they sold over 3 million a month. I think that qualifies.

Charging 30% surcharge for all in-app purchases is going to reduce the "lots of cool stuff on it" part which ultimately may reduce the number of iPads sold.  Their current strategy of excessive charging increases returns in the short term, but potentially reduces them in the long-term as content providers decide to reduce their presence on the platform.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: August 20, 2011, 07:29:36 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on August 20, 2011, 06:39:37 PM

Quote from: Misguided on August 20, 2011, 04:18:26 PM

Quote from: ydejin on August 20, 2011, 08:06:18 AM

Maybe Apple could focus on making a really great platform that has lots of cool stuff on it, and selling lots and lots of iPads.

In the most recent quarter that ended in late June, they sold over 3 million a month. I think that qualifies.

Charging 30% surcharge for all in-app purchases is going to reduce the "lots of cool stuff on it" part which ultimately may reduce the number of iPads sold.  Their current strategy of excessive charging increases returns in the short term, but potentially reduces them in the long-term as content providers decide to reduce their presence on the platform.

70% of a large pie is better than 100% of a teeny tiny pie.  Developers are going to develop for iOS because it's the big boy.  Apple can charge 50% and people would still develop for that platform.

Microsoft charges a lot more for their XBLA royalties and you still get more XBLA games than you do PSN games (it seems, anyway).

Apple is just doing what every company does - makes as much money as they possibly can.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: August 20, 2011, 11:33:19 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on August 20, 2011, 06:27:09 PM

One of the things I love about my i-pad2 and i-phone4 is I can use the i-phone4 that is 3g, as my tether point and join with my i-pad2, which is only wi-fi.
Granted it uses my data allotment from the i-phone, but I don't use the i-phone for much more than texting-calls now anyway.

Why have two devices with 3G if you only need one?  nod

I thought you had to pay some kind of moronic tethering fee to be able to do that? Which carrier do you have?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: August 21, 2011, 02:24:52 AM »

Im with Telus up here in Canada.....No extra cost, just the usage of your data.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: August 21, 2011, 03:22:48 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on August 21, 2011, 02:24:52 AM

Im with Telus up here in Canada.....No extra cost, just the usage of your data.

Sweet. Wish it were like that here.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: January 18, 2012, 07:42:58 PM »

Hmmm, apparently there's some stealth marketing going on for the new "iClay" at some Best Buy and Future Shop stores in Vancouver.  smirk

Stores mistakenly sell clay iPad 2s
http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/video/crime/2012/01/17/dnt-clay-ipad-2.ctv-news
Future Shop and Best Buy launched an investigation after fake iPad 2s were sold at their Vancouver stores. CTV reports.
Reminds me of the time I bought a CD from a Tower Records store, and when I finally opened the jewel box case days later, all there was, was a transparent plastic "filler" disc. And the case was shrink-wrapped even.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1166 on: January 18, 2012, 10:33:46 PM »

How lame. For xmas my 10 year old nephew got a Nintendo 3DS, something he has wanted all year. When he tore the box open he was shocked to find a ziplock bag filled with aquarium gravel. Well, we were all shocked. As you can imagine, Fred Meyer said that wasn't possible since they inspect items that come back and would not exchange it.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
KC

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: January 19, 2012, 03:29:19 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on January 18, 2012, 10:33:46 PM

How lame. For xmas my 10 year old nephew got a Nintendo 3DS, something he has wanted all year. When he tore the box open he was shocked to find a ziplock bag filled with aquarium gravel. Well, we were all shocked. As you can imagine, Fred Meyer said that wasn't possible since they inspect items that come back and would not exchange it.

If you paid with a credit card, you can dispute the charge.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: April 14, 2012, 02:44:46 PM »

Pretty cool video at YouTube directly from the Foxxcon facilities... (done with permission, so this isn't like an expose)

Inside Foxconn: Exclusive look at how an iPad is made (By American Public Media)
*Hmmm, I'd have to say much of the video is not of the iPad getting made (after the 1:41 mark, it's just stuff from around and outside the factory). But there is a minute or so (from :30, to 1:41) from the factory assembly line that's kind of interesting.

I would've thought more of it would involve robotics, and there is some of that. But I guess due to the precision work required, a lot of it seems to boil down to someone using a glorified soldering iron and screwdriver.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 02:50:25 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: April 15, 2012, 02:31:33 AM »

More like given how cheap and plentiful labor is in china, it's way easier to find a human who can do what you need than to design and program a robot to do it. 

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: April 15, 2012, 04:58:30 AM »

This really happened???
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: April 15, 2012, 01:03:57 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on April 15, 2012, 04:58:30 AM

This really happened???

In the late 90s, I bought a Soundblaster card and opened the box to find some crappy sound card in there.  I guess the person bought it, took it, put their old one in there, and returned it.  Luckily, the place believed me and gave me a new box with an actual Soundblaster card in it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: April 20, 2012, 06:23:26 PM »

I thought I asked you guys earlier, maybe it was a different thread; if you own the NewTM iPad, are you guys having any concerns about the increased heat, or with too many programs not supporting the Retina screen and thus being pixelicious? My bday's approaching and I'm close to finally getting one. I just haven't decided whether to get a new one or get one of the now heavily discounted iPad 2s.

Certainly I've read many reviews, but I often find first hand observations more useful.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: April 20, 2012, 06:45:36 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 20, 2012, 06:23:26 PM

I thought I asked you guys earlier, maybe it was a different thread; if you own the NewTM iPad, are you guys having any concerns about the increased heat, or with too many programs not supporting the Retina screen and thus being pixelicious? My bday's approaching and I'm close to finally getting one. I just haven't decided whether to get a new one or get one of the now heavily discounted iPad 2s.

Certainly I've read many reviews, but I often find first hand observations more useful.

I haven't noticed any issues with heat and the retina display is everything that Apple says it is. If its in your budget, just pony up the extra cash. Keep in mind that newer apps will be released to take advantage of the new processor and display which will be taxiing on the older iPad.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 20, 2012, 08:17:55 PM »

I took advantage of the heavy discounts and just picked up an ipad 2.  A buddy at work won one of the new ones in a company contest which was an upgrade to his old ipad 2. 

We both agree that the screen on the new one is indeed really really pretty.  We both also agreed that the screen on the old one is still pretty, and neither of us necessarily thought that the new one was $150 prettier than the old one.

The other thing that pushed me to getting the old one is that most of the anecdotal evidence is that the new one doesn't necessarily feel much (if any) "faster" than the old one.  If most of the extra performance on the new one is going to pushing all those pixels, then the old one might not start feeling slower for a while yet.  At least, that's what I'm banking on.

Anyone have a lead on a really slim case that covers both the back and the front, doesn't cover the bezel, and isn't very expensive? Ideally under $30.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1175 on: April 20, 2012, 08:25:41 PM »

Spoiler for this plus scissors:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: April 20, 2012, 08:43:35 PM »

icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: April 20, 2012, 09:33:13 PM »

That's what I use to read my kindle in the rain!  biggrin

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: April 20, 2012, 09:53:15 PM »

Are you all saying the iPad 2 is now $350? If so, where?

My wife has an iPad 2. We held an iPad 2 and a "new" iPad next to each other in a store. Yes, the new screen is pretty, but I would take the lighter form factor and quicker charge time over the new screen for a $100 less - and it's a no brainer if the delta is really $150.

(Gives his Acer Iconia A500 a glare. Oh, how I wish this thing would just die already.)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: April 20, 2012, 09:55:04 PM »

Quote from: JCC on April 20, 2012, 09:53:15 PM

Are you all saying the iPad 2 is now $350? If so, where?

My wife has an iPad 2. We held an iPad 2 and a "new" iPad next to each other in a store. Yes, the new screen is pretty, but I would take the lighter form factor and quicker charge time over the new screen for a $100 less - and it's a no brainer if the delta is really $150.

(Gives his Acer Iconia A500 a glare. Oh, how I wish this thing would just die already.)

I'm guessing Apple refurbished from their online store.  If they have the 16Gb wifi in stock it's only $349.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC769LL/A
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: April 20, 2012, 11:03:56 PM »

Yeah, refurb 16gb, though I actually got a new one for $360 at Microcenter.

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: April 20, 2012, 11:20:16 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 20, 2012, 06:23:26 PM

I haven't had any heat problems.  OTOH I haven't really been running any 3d games on it.  I use it for very long periods of time and will play videos for hours at a time or boardgame-type games on it, in addition to a lot of web surfing, some comic book reading, and other random apps.  It does run hotter than my iPad1, but for the applications I've used it for, it's never gotten past the slightly luke warm stage.

The only place I've had issues with not supporting Retina is on some magazine apps, it's very noticeable.  Other than magazine apps, it's been a non-issue for me.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: May 07, 2012, 07:33:32 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 20, 2012, 11:03:56 PM

Yeah, refurb 16gb, though I actually got a new one for $360 at Microcenter.

Apple lowered the prices on their refurbs today.  16 Gb wifi iPad 2 is now only $319

http://9to5mac.com/2012/05/07/you-can-now-buy-an-ipad-from-the-apple-store-for-279-and-an-ipad-2-for-319/
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: May 07, 2012, 08:57:06 PM »

Well, shit.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1184 on: May 08, 2012, 02:54:28 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 07, 2012, 08:57:06 PM

Well, shit.

They have an app for that.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: May 08, 2012, 03:04:06 AM »

Well, shit.

do they have any kind of pricing guarantee?  something like 'if you see it cheaper within 30 days we'll match it'?

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: May 08, 2012, 03:30:21 AM »

Problem is I bought a new one from Microcenter for $360. Doubt they'd price match that.  icon_cry

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: May 10, 2012, 03:34:25 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 08, 2012, 03:04:06 AM

Well, shit.
r
do they have any kind of pricing guarantee?  something like 'if you see it cheaper within 30 days we'll match it'?
I knew a store once that ballyhooed that policy. It was called... Circuit City.  crybaby

I like Micro Center but they don't price match, and a lot of first time visitors just whine that 'everything's cheaper at Amazon' as if a storefront biz is going to be able to match an Amazon.com on price.

I'm gradually getting carried away with comics and a magazine or two.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:47:55 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: May 10, 2012, 03:42:34 AM »

I may be the last person to figure this out, but you can 'split' or undock the onscreen keyboard. You either use your fingers to 'spread' the keyboard to split it, or you press and hold the keyboard symbol for a menu with Split and Undock options.

It's a shame you can't seem to adjust the 'gap size' between the split keyboards. They're just too tiny to be useful, IMHO. Undocking seems a bit useful, especially if using on my lap.

And here's a neat article about iPad leading us toward Planet if the Apes  icon_smile
The iPad Is A Big Hit With Orangutans At Jungle Island Zoo In Miami
http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/05/the-ipad-is-a-big-hit-with-orangutans-at-jungle-island-zoo-in-miami

(Sent from Flipboard)

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: May 11, 2012, 02:32:45 PM »

When I was flipping through Flipboard the other day, saw an interesting Kickstarter for an iPad case that's designed to make it easier to carry along Apple's wireless keyboard with it. It's actually kind of local to me (guy's in DC), and he has gotten prototypes made:

Touchtype: A Case for iPad and Apple Wireless Keyboard
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sajidcreative/touchtype-a-case-for-ipad-and-apple-wireless-keybo?ref=search
The Touchtype case is an iPad case that can also hold the Apple Wireless Keyboard.

Hide-away, Slide-away Storage.
The Touchtype case stores the Apple Wireless Keyboard underneath the iPad not on top (like most other keyboard cases). This means you have direct access to your iPad as soon as you open the cover. To use the keyboard, just move aside the elastic restraining loops and slide it out from the pocket. There when you need it, gone when you don't.

It's a Stand, Too.
The Touchtype case doubles as an iPad stand. Simply fold the cover back and slide it into the tab on the back (similar to Apple's iPad 1 Case) and enjoy your perfect typing angle. Works with the keyboard in or out.

Fit one, Fit All.

The Touchtype case uses tense elastic to keep the iPad firmly in place. This allows it to easily adjust itself to any iPad (including the iPad 3 / new iPad). Since all the straps are symmetrically placed, you can put in your iPad with the Home button on the left or the right. The Touchtype case even has built-in magnets on either side to wake and sleep your iPad in whatever orientation you choose. There's no such thing as wrong way round or upside down.

The Portrait Trick.
Some people really like to orient the iPad in portrait mode when they want to do some heavy typing. If you're one of those people, then the Touchtype case has a trick to show you. Laying flat, hidden underneath the iPad lies a second set of elastic straps. Simply rotate the iPad and slide it into these straps and revel in your vertical typing bliss.

Thin Will Always Be In.
Why should Apple struggle to make the iPad thinner only to have it imprisoned in chunky keyboard cases? The Touchtype case understands the iPad's pain. Every design decision when making the case was in pursuit of thinness.

Now the Hard Part.
The Touchtype case comes in either a smooth gray polyurethane, a "wild espresso" leather, or a luxurious black leather. And the leather is not the tough, plasticky, "just so we can say it's leather" type of leather. It's the real deal made from top layer buffalo hide, with characteristic natural grains and that unmistakeable genuine leather smell. Regardless of which one you choose, you're sure to love it.
It seems appealing if you really want to drag that keyboard around, though I question a bit how sturdy the little straps would be, in terms of secure-ness. For now I'm purposely trying to get as comfortable with the onscreen keyboard as I can, before I consider any keyboards or keyboard/case combos.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: May 29, 2012, 01:56:44 PM »

For the flying folk, a case that is actually pretty useful:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/501583891/arctic-flight-ipad-stand-cover-fits-airline-tray-t?play=1&ref=search

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: May 29, 2012, 03:34:23 PM »

the Arctic Flight looks awesome! Count me in.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: May 29, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »

That does look pretty cool!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: October 22, 2013, 06:59:36 PM »

couple of new iPads announced today.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: October 22, 2013, 07:45:34 PM »

IN!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: October 22, 2013, 08:05:12 PM »

I have to admit I can't resist getting some iPad envy over these new models even though my v3 iPad is still working great.

"You weigh .4 pounds more than the new iPads?!

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

What good are you?!"
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: October 22, 2013, 08:59:04 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 22, 2013, 08:05:12 PM

I have to admit I can't resist getting some iPad envy over these new models even though my v3 iPad is still working great.

"You weigh .4 pounds more than the new iPads?!

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

What good are you?!"

I felt like my v3 iPad has been awful since putting iOS7 on it.  Need more POWAH!
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: October 22, 2013, 09:19:59 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 22, 2013, 08:59:04 PM

I felt like my v3 iPad has been awful since putting iOS7 on it.  Need more POWAH!

Still using iOS6 on my iPad3.  So far I still don't have a compelling reason to upgrade - I don't need the newer iOS or more processing power to read my RSS feed or the Kindle app. 
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: October 22, 2013, 10:00:14 PM »

Day 1. My 3 is slow with iOS7, not bad, but not as fast it used to be. Can't wait for something with a bit more kick.

Anyone interested in buying a white iPad 3 64 gig?  icon_smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: October 22, 2013, 10:06:55 PM »

Quote from: Lee on October 22, 2013, 10:00:14 PM

Anyone interested in buying a white iPad 3 64 gig?  icon_smile

FWIW, I have a black iPad 3 64 gig and some searching just now showed a trade-in value of $241 through Apple or ~$300 at Glyde.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: