http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 04:01:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Apple iPad  (Read 49628 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: March 12, 2011, 08:42:04 AM »

I had to hit 2 Best Buys bit I finally got my grimy paws on one after about 3 hours.  Should have been more like 1-2 but oh well. 

First impression: it really is every bit as thin as they say, and although the weight hasn't changed much, the overall feel really is surprisingly more comfortable.  Almost like a giant Color Kindle.  Oh yeah, frame rates and textures on Infinity Blade were fantastic, and just like the demo showed Garage Band and Photo Booth were a ton of fun.  Will test the mirroring feature tomorrow.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: March 12, 2011, 08:57:30 AM »

Went with one of my older clients to buy him one at the Apple store.  We went right before close this evening.  They were completely out of wifi-only and the lower-storage 3G models.  We got him the 64gb Verizon model and he sent it home with me so I could play with it tonight and "figure it out".

The build quality, speed, and "comfortable-ness" are outstanding.  The included cameras are an abomination.  I'm guessing higher res cameras will be a big selling point of the next model.
Magic
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: March 12, 2011, 06:59:42 PM »

I swung by a best buy and my local apple store on the way home from work last night, and they were completely sold out. I wasn't really expecting to get one, and later I got a text from a friend who was at an apple store in north jersey who picked me up the 16gb white wifi model, and dropped it off for me this morning along with one of the smart covers.

I use my first gen iPad almost religiously as a couch computer. The speed of the new model is dramatically quicker. Safari handles multiple pages so much better, and loading times and multitasking is just that much snappier.

I wasn't sure how the white bezel would be, but as a web browsing device in daylight, it actually feels a little easier on my eyes - more like holding a sheet of paper.

The new model is a joy to hold and carry. Doesn't feel as heavy as it is. it's amazingly thin.

The smart cover is pretty nifty. It's almost perfect In that it adds no bulk or heft, and wakes/sleeps the device with use, and magnetically snaps into place along the hinge, and also holds closed very well. Using it as a stand is surprisingly stable. I just wish there was a little more protection for the back.

The cameras are junk, but realistically I'll only ever use them for Skype and FaceTime. No native iPad Skype app yet though.

Should you upgrade if you have the original? Only if you do a ton of gaming or multitasking or want the video conference ability. If it's an e-reader or couch computer for light web use... Not really.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: March 14, 2011, 02:14:30 PM »

This is pretty impressive - from Macrumors:
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/11/impressions-and-screenshots-of-infinity-blade-on-ipad-2/

iPad

iPad 2

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: March 14, 2011, 05:39:26 PM »

Clouds are shaped different?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: March 14, 2011, 05:48:35 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on March 14, 2011, 05:39:26 PM

look at the armor.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: March 14, 2011, 06:27:11 PM »

Must have been using the armor polishing app.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: March 14, 2011, 06:36:21 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 14, 2011, 05:48:35 PM

Quote from: Morgul on March 14, 2011, 05:39:26 PM

look at the armor.
Shit.   

As you can see, my opinion of the great grphics in DA2 might not mean much..   lol
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1088 on: March 15, 2011, 12:29:29 PM »

Impressions:

I picked up an iPad 2 at a local Walmart last night. I'm still surprised they had 5 of them sitting there. I had heard everyone was sold out for weeks. Anyway. I had my iPad 1 for about 8 months. As others have noted this is an evolutionary step. The camera is lame but the camera software is surprisingly fun.

The size of this thing is really amazing. It is so thin and the rounder edges really add to the aesthetics. The new ipad screams. I mean it is freaking fast. The first thing I did was load Real Racing 2 HD and then had to fight the kids to get it back. The sound is a lot better. It sounds deeper, clearer and has a little more volume. I'm still playing Dead Space with headphones (and a change of drawers) but for everyday stuff the speaker is a nice improvement.

This is a really slick device. It would have been great if it had retina display I doubt they could have kept the prices the same.

In the end, is it worth upgrading if you have a 1? Only if you want the latest and greatest. For things like web browsing, the speed is amazing. It just sucks that they put such a crappy camera in. Again, I assume this is to keep the price down.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: March 15, 2011, 10:36:07 PM »

Got my iPad 2 review up.  Well, it's less a review than me bitching about Apple release strategies - and then I do give some first impressions too.  Pretty similar to what everyone else is saying (like Crusis above).

http://rittchard.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/ipad-2-apple-the-honeymoons-over/
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: March 17, 2011, 12:50:47 PM »

I finally tinkered with one at Best Buy last night. It felt really snappy. It still felt a bit heavy for my tastes, but I don't have much experience with tablets or ebook readers. The camera is about as terrible as everyone says. I assume on my Touch it's less noticeable on a small screen how bad the megapixel is. While it's not a dealbreaker for me, it still seems like they ought to be able to squeeze in a cheap camera, without messing up the price scheme, that's merely "mediocre" rather than "awful."  icon_razz

Apparently the quake stuff in Japan has impacted a couple key iPad/iPhone parts suppliers, so there is more ripple effect there:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/17/shortages_of_apples_ipad_and_iphone_to_bleed_into_june_quarter_following_japan_tsunami.html

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: March 17, 2011, 02:46:21 PM »

The apps have pushed me over the edge.  I think I'm going to pick up a 32 gig WiFi when one appears.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: March 17, 2011, 03:10:43 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 17, 2011, 12:50:47 PM

I finally tinkered with one at Best Buy last night. It felt really snappy. It still felt a bit heavy for my tastes, but I don't have much experience with tablets or ebook readers. The camera is about as terrible as everyone says. I assume on my Touch it's less noticeable on a small screen how bad the megapixel is. While it's not a dealbreaker for me, it still seems like they ought to be able to squeeze in a cheap camera, without messing up the price scheme, that's merely "mediocre" rather than "awful."  icon_razz

Apparently the quake stuff in Japan has impacted a couple key iPad/iPhone parts suppliers, so there is more ripple effect there:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/17/shortages_of_apples_ipad_and_iphone_to_bleed_into_june_quarter_following_japan_tsunami.html

Yea, thats what I was saying earlier.  Cameras are supposed to be "cheap" hardware on these things relative to other hardware.  Apple is not known for making cheap shit.  So no clue why they didn't put in at least a  descent camera. 

But, if I did not have the ipad I would get the ipad2.  I am not sure how much I would use the camera anyways.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: March 17, 2011, 03:40:53 PM »

I tried the camera in both still and video modes. The video is fine (Face Time should be a treat on it), the still mode is probably worse than my Palm Visor PDA's EyeModule camera was about 10 years ago.  icon_razz

I'm thinking maybe the one reason I'd like the 3G is because apparently only that model has GPS in it. I could maybe see that being useful occasionally on driving trips. No, I don't see myself using it mountain climbing as in some ads. I'm too much of a boring surburban-ite.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: March 17, 2011, 06:25:13 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 17, 2011, 03:40:53 PM

I tried the camera in both still and video modes. The video is fine (Face Time should be a treat on it), the still mode is probably worse than my Palm Visor PDA's EyeModule camera was about 10 years ago.  icon_razz

I'm thinking maybe the one reason I'd like the 3G is because apparently only that model has GPS in it. I could maybe see that being useful occasionally on driving trips. No, I don't see myself using it mountain climbing as in some ads. I'm too much of a boring surburban-ite.  icon_smile

BJ I don't remember if you had an iPhone or not, but I read recently that if you tethered the iPad to your iPhone "hotspot" it would give you full GPS support.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: March 17, 2011, 07:05:46 PM »

Cool demo featuring gaming on the iPad2 - mirrored to a bigscreen TV:

http://toucharcade.com/2011/03/17/ipad-2-hdmi-out-to-hdtv-demo-video/
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: March 18, 2011, 08:08:37 AM »

Apple Insider has a "first look," meaning de-boxing, how well the cover thingie works for typing and "poking," and a lot of painfully close-up photos:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/16/first_look_apples_ipad_2.html

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: April 03, 2011, 04:04:43 PM »

Brought one home from the apple store yesterday morning. I'm absolutely loving it so far. Anybody feel like starting up a new iPad game thread? I saw one but it was like a year old. I was going back through a thread at Qt3 and was reminded of a number of titles I was interested in but had put out of mind because I had no plans to get an iPad at the time. e.g. Small World, Defenders of the Oasis, Return to Infinite Space, etc. I picked up DotO yesterday and it's a lot of fun.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: April 04, 2011, 09:30:06 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 03, 2011, 04:04:43 PM

Brought one home from the apple store yesterday morning. I'm absolutely loving it so far. Anybody feel like starting up a new iPad game thread? I saw one but it was like a year old. I was going back through a thread at Qt3 and was reminded of a number of titles I was interested in but had put out of mind because I had no plans to get an iPad at the time. e.g. Small World, Defenders of the Oasis, Return to Infinite Space, etc. I picked up DotO yesterday and it's a lot of fun.

Just picked up Great Little War Game HD last night, looks like it could be a lot of fun.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/great-little-war-game-hd

Also I don't remember if you've had another iOS device or not, but I think Battleheart is great on the iPad.

Looks like Palm Heroes 2 just came out recently as well if you like HOMM. 

And Fabled Lands HD might be worth a look, I haven't tried it yet.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/fabled-lands-hd/id415170080?mt=8#
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:32:51 PM by rittchard » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: April 04, 2011, 11:17:54 PM »

Supposedly, if I get to the apple store down the street from my office early enough, there's a chance i can score an ipad2 as they're getting them in every day.  After finding out both Neuroshima Hex AND Kingsburg are available in the app store, this is difficult for me to pass up....

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: April 05, 2011, 01:18:14 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 04, 2011, 11:17:54 PM

Supposedly, if I get to the apple store down the street from my office early enough, there's a chance i can score an ipad2 as they're getting them in every day.  After finding out both Neuroshima Hex AND Kingsburg are available in the app store, this is difficult for me to pass up....

There's also a new one called Neuroshima Hex Puzzle. What's Kingsburg?

I already had Battleheart on my phone, but found the screen to be too cramped, so definitely looking forward to giving it a try on the iPad (only tried it really briefly).

I am having a great time with Defense of the Oasis. Heck, I got sucked into playing PQ2 for a good hour. I love this big screen!

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1101 on: April 05, 2011, 01:41:48 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 05, 2011, 01:18:14 AM

Quote from: hepcat on April 04, 2011, 11:17:54 PM

I already had Battleheart on my phone, but found the screen to be too cramped, so definitely looking forward to giving it a try on the iPad (only tried it really briefly).

I am having a great time with Defense of the Oasis. Heck, I got sucked into playing PQ2 for a good hour. I love this big screen!

If you like oasis, stoneship from Cyan plays very similar with a nautical theme.  Loving my 32 gig ipad2 right now.  It's making up for the laptop I lost seveal years ago.  And I'm finally getting to play all those games I couldn't on my second gen iPod touch.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: April 05, 2011, 02:27:53 AM »

Actually, I thought Stoneship was awful, which is a shame because I wanted to like it. The action elements contributed nothing to the game, and it was far to easy to accidentally walk into a sea monster you had no hope of defeating. Superficially, they might seem similar, but Stoneship is more about learning where things are on each level so you can do it "right" the next time. DotA is a much better balanced game, IMO.

Just finished my first game of Medici. It was pretty cool.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: April 05, 2011, 01:09:29 PM »

The primary reason I want an Ipad is because of the numerous boardgames ports.  Kingsburg is one of them.   It's a game by Fantasy Flight Games that I'm sure you'll love if they ported it over with any care.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: April 05, 2011, 02:10:06 PM »

I haven't bought Small World yet, but that's one that has always interested me at game stores. The board games I like tend to be of the simple to learn, Lifetime to master variety.

Quote from: hepcat on April 05, 2011, 01:09:29 PM

The primary reason I want an Ipad is because of the numerous boardgames ports.  Kingsburg is one of them.   It's a game by Fantasy Flight Games that I'm sure you'll love if they ported it over with any care.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 05, 2011, 02:16:24 PM »

Incredibly annoying that weeks after launch I still have to roll the dice of chance even when arriving an hour early at the local apple store.  there was already a line when i got there and they only had verizon or at&t enabled ipads.  if it weren't for the damn apps, i would definitely go with an android tablet.  as it stands, i'm so annoyed right now I think i need to back away from the whole idea of an ipad for a while.  it's not worth this much hassle.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: April 05, 2011, 03:29:43 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 05, 2011, 02:16:24 PM

Incredibly annoying that weeks after launch I still have to roll the dice of chance even when arriving an hour early at the local apple store.  there was already a line when i got there and they only had verizon or at&t enabled ipads.  if it weren't for the damn apps, i would definitely go with an android tablet.  as it stands, i'm so annoyed right now I think i need to back away from the whole idea of an ipad for a while.  it's not worth this much hassle.

Just chill out and wait for a month. The lines and hoopla will die down and you will be able to just walk in and buy one.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: April 05, 2011, 03:50:04 PM »

This does nothing to soothe the 8 year old in me who wanted his toy now.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: April 05, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 05, 2011, 03:50:04 PM

I want one, but I can't see it replacing my laptop...   Please, someone give me some reason, so I can justify getting one smile

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: April 05, 2011, 04:24:09 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on April 05, 2011, 04:22:00 PM

I want one, but I can't see it replacing my laptop...   Please, someone give me some reason, so I can justify getting one smile

chicks dig it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: April 05, 2011, 04:49:05 PM »

My reasons:

1) Board games and board game tools are being released at a rapid pace.  Heck, even GMT games (makers of Twilight Struggle) have announced that they are jumping on the bandwagon.

2) expensive e-reader

3) netflix streaming

Granted, the last two are already on laptops, but the first one is a huge plus for me.

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: April 05, 2011, 05:31:06 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 05, 2011, 04:49:05 PM

My reasons:

1) Board games and board game tools are being released at a rapid pace.  Heck, even GMT games (makers of Twilight Struggle) have announced that they are jumping on the bandwagon.

2) expensive e-reader

3) netflix streaming

Granted, the last two are already on laptops, but the first one is a huge plus for me.

It's true that most all of this is on a laptop already...but leave a iPad in your lap for 2-3 hours and you'll forget it's there.  A laptop in your lap for 2-3 hours might require first aid for burns smile  It's also about 1/8 the weight of an average laptop and there's no Windows (good or bad) and almost instant on and app loading.  It also has 8-12+ hours of battery life compared to an average of 3 for a laptop and the iPad can charge from any USB port.

Other pluses...you can download and use the native nook app with any books you've bought.  Same with amazon and the kindle app.  Same with the borders app (which I prefer for pdf viewing).  Dropbox works great so you can transfer files without hooking it up to the computer or using a flash drive.  Handle native google apps with no problem (email, maps, etc). 

Last, it has plants vs zombies and angry birds smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1112 on: April 05, 2011, 05:40:30 PM »

A buddy of mine picked up a Dell Inspiron Duo.

I think I heart that more than the iPad since it's both tablet and Laptop.

Having an iPhone has taught me to hate the inflexibility of the iOS.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:02:06 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1113 on: April 05, 2011, 06:00:43 PM »

Twilight Struggle is coming to the ipad!?!??!!?  YES!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: April 05, 2011, 06:13:43 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on April 05, 2011, 06:00:43 PM

Twilight Struggle is coming to the ipad!?!??!!?  YES!

yup...it's also supposed to be released on the PC, so I'll be buying that as well for the (hopefully) online MP with other PC gamers with taste.

They've also announced that Dominant Species and Manoeuvre are coming to iPad as well.  The number of great board games available on the iPad just keeps growing.  I wish they'd release these for android as well, but that seems not to be happening at nearly the pace the iPad is getting them.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1115 on: April 05, 2011, 06:37:55 PM »

I think the Google Marketplace is a little too open.  It takes *many* reports of an app to prove to them it needs to be investigated and or pulled if it is malicious.  It's kinda wild wild west in there compared to Apple's walled garden. 

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: April 05, 2011, 06:40:12 PM »

Well, to be fair, part of that also comes across as Android's strength to a lot of folks.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: April 05, 2011, 06:54:37 PM »

Wireless Mirroring with iPad 2:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnM8ciByJps

The sad/funny part was I posted this same idea a day before they did and got NO attention.  I guess I should have made a Youtube video to demo it.  I actually think my solution is simpler but I was too lazy to make a custom box smile
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: April 05, 2011, 09:13:13 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 05, 2011, 02:16:24 PM

I feel the same way so I just ordered one from Apple directly.  It won't be in until the end of the month but I don't have to check multiple places each week with fingers crossed.  I don't think my time has much value (I can piss it away on almost anything) but it was just feeling stupid to keep checking stores. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: April 06, 2011, 02:17:59 PM »

I stopped in at the Apple store this morning on my way into work under the guise of getting a coffee.  After getting my coffee, I just happened to stroll by the Apple store and the clerks were passing out vouchers.  Incredibly, the majority of what they received in today's shipment was the 32 gig WiFi's.  I was vacillating between the 32 and the 64, so this allowed me to err on the side of caution (i.e. cheapness).

I'm now a proud owner of a 32 gig WiFi ipad2 in black.  Appstore time!   icon_biggrin

p.s. what's the general consensus on size?  I store all my music on a zune 32 gig MP3 player so I won't be putting any music on it beyond a few.  I'll mostly be using it for netflix and for app store games.  Will a 32 gig be sufficient?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 03:47:27 PM by hepcat » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: