http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 11:32:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Apple iPad  (Read 51315 times)
SkyLander
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: March 04, 2011, 06:00:25 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 04, 2011, 03:44:04 PM

But it seems almost a worst deal than some of the extended warranties.

Because it is a shitty deal, just like every program Best Buy does.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: March 04, 2011, 06:25:48 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on March 04, 2011, 06:00:25 PM

Then why don't they change their name to Worst Buy?  icon_lol A friend of mine said she sent her failed PC to the Best Buy near her for repairs and I just shuddered...

Does anyone here type anything of length on their iPad? I can't be the only reporter/writer type here.  icon_smile I've fiddled with them at the store but I think that's different than banging out an article, typing up some notes, on a touchscreen. I realize you can add keyboards via docks, cases and Bluetooth -- it just seems to defeat the purpose and charm of the device as I blahblahblah'd earlier.

I realize it's not optimal but if the Star Trek: TNG crews can live with all touch-screen, I'm just curious if I can.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: March 04, 2011, 06:47:16 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 04, 2011, 06:25:48 PM

Quote from: SkyLander on March 04, 2011, 06:00:25 PM

Then why don't they change their name to Worst Buy?  icon_lol A friend of mine said she sent her failed PC to the Best Buy near her for repairs and I just shuddered...

Does anyone here type anything of length on their iPad? I can't be the only reporter/writer type here.  icon_smile I've fiddled with them at the store but I think that's different than banging out an article, typing up some notes, on a touchscreen. I realize you can add keyboards via docks, cases and Bluetooth -- it just seems to defeat the purpose and charm of the device as I blahblahblah'd earlier.

I realize it's not optimal but if the Star Trek: TNG crews can live with all touch-screen, I'm just curious if I can.  icon_smile

I would say no.  If I had to type something long, I would much prefer the PC. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: March 04, 2011, 06:48:53 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 04, 2011, 06:25:48 PM

I barely type anything on mine, it's just for browsing and playing games.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: March 04, 2011, 07:08:07 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 04, 2011, 06:48:53 PM

I barely type anything on mine, it's just for browsing and playing games.

Web browser, Games, Email , Music , Alarm clock , Notes (groc list/to do shit) 

That covers 98% of what I do on my ipad.

Its on my nightstand at night, on my desk at work, plugged into my car stereo when I am driving, and  in one of my kids hands when I am at home. 

It really is a giant ipod touch.     icon_biggrin

GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: March 04, 2011, 07:27:28 PM »

Yeah, don't get rid of your laptop, particularly if you're a writer. iPad is a fantastic device, but I don't enjoy using it for any kind of content creation. The touch keyboard simply sucks too hard to bang out anything of length without wanting to shoot yourself.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: March 04, 2011, 07:51:42 PM »

Where there's a will, there's a way.  icon_smile Albeit, that's a short passage sort of "typing over text," whereas I'm often typing while reading something other than the screen.

How to Type (81 WPM) on the iPad (hawking the TapTyping app)
http://blog.flairify.com/how-to-type-81-wpm-fon-the-ipad

Most of my articles for our e-mail newsletter are maybe 250 to 1,100 words or so (varies wildly depending on subject matter, but they don't generally want me to go much longer than that). I do an occasional piece for our print magazine, or sometimes they'll expand something I did for the e-mail newsletter for print (also adding graphics, photos etc.). I think maybe 2,000 or 2,500 is about the longest we'll go for one of those.

Thanks for the insights, guys.

I think I'd run into issues cause a lot of stories have numbers in them (dollar amounts, volumes, capacities etc.), and I wish the onscreen keyboard had that numbers row at the top like physical keyboards.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 07:59:40 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: March 04, 2011, 08:49:35 PM »

You can always get the keyboard add-on or a bluetooth keyboard if you want to get serious about typing...  I recently got a case that comes with a bluetooth keyboard which works fairly well. 

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1048 on: March 04, 2011, 09:06:46 PM »

So, a laptop, IOW. Tongue
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: March 04, 2011, 09:34:45 PM »

I actually bought the bluetooth keyboard with the idea that I'd use it for the iPad - I don't.  It sits at home doing nothing now.  I can type quite well on the iPad keyboard (though not as fast as a true keyboard).  I use mine on a daily basis for notes during meetings and I use it exclusively on an airplane for email/outlining thoughts/etc...

I find the iPad keyboard more than adequate for my use.  Of course, I'm typically not writing anything that isn't very forgiving of typos either smile.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: March 04, 2011, 10:49:14 PM »

The thing I found most interesting about the March 2nd presentation (which I noted in the Wanderers forums the same day) was the casual yet deliberate use of the phrase "post-PC world."  Engadget has a great editorial talking about this:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/03/editorial-its-apples-post-pc-world-were-all-just-living/
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 05, 2011, 12:03:57 AM »

Don't want to be a spoiler, but I'm glad they kept the same screen/resolution. This was the #1 reason I was going to have buyer's remorse over my original ipad.  Now I can enjoy my outdated device without regret!
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1052 on: March 05, 2011, 02:24:53 AM »

Everyone uses devices differently. I will likely skip iPad 2, and wait for the next model. I use my iPad every day, for both entertainment and productivity (I type a great deal both on the screen and on a keyboard dock).

This, to me, is the perfect iPad upgrade: it keeps Apple in a very strong competitive position, likely to maintain their tablet dominance, so the software will continue to flow -- but it doesn't compel me to go out and spend another $600. Particularly since I just bought a new Mac last week!

I never miss Flash on my iPad. In fact, I've turned Flash off by default on Safari on my Mac.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: March 07, 2011, 02:20:06 AM »

Even though I may order one later this week, I found this clip from Conan pretty damn funny.  icon_lol

Conan: Apple Gets Cocky About iPad 2 03/03/11
http://video.teamcoco.com/video/conan.jsp?oid=245467&eref=sharethisUrl

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1054 on: March 07, 2011, 02:44:50 AM »

I managed to crank out a 2,000 word short story on my iPad because the battery on my laptop was dead. I was flying back from Horror Realm in Pittsburgh and just had to finish this stupid story. It was painful on the touch screen but I powered through it and edited it the next day. I now have a keyboard for the ipad but I barely use it. I have a MBP for all my writing needs.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 07, 2011, 01:23:38 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 07, 2011, 02:20:06 AM

Even though I may order one later this week, I found this clip from Conan pretty damn funny.  icon_lol

icon_lol  I'm a bit more interested now that it's thinner, though apparently it's only a few oz. lighter.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: March 07, 2011, 11:54:18 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on March 07, 2011, 01:23:38 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on March 07, 2011, 02:20:06 AM

icon_lol  I'm a bit more interested now that it's thinner, though apparently it's only a few oz. lighter.

This release reminds me of the iPhone 3GS, where they didn't do too much more than enhance the processor and add video.  I'm excited, but probably not excited enough to get in line on Friday. 

That said, it's interesting how our perspectives and demands have changed and grown over the years, particularly when it comes to Apple products.  Think about your PC or laptops a few years back.  When they first went from single to dual core processors, it was a huge deal in terms of an upgrade.  Likewise with graphics, I remember vividly paying top dollar to get 40-50% performance increases.   And how often would you get that kind of a graphics performance boost on a laptop?  Now we're talking a device that has gone to a dual core processor plus boosted graphics performance as much as 900% (seriously I don't believe it but we'll see) - while simultaneously maintaining battery life AND shaving the size down further (I'm going to assume that like the iPad it won't have any heat issues) without changing the price.  Oh yeah and adding front and back cameras to boot.  From an engineering standpoint, it's a crazy amount of improvement. 
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1057 on: March 08, 2011, 02:03:57 AM »

So do I hang out at an Apple store for hours waiting for release or take a chance on strolling into a local chain that evening and scoring one. Hopefully apple will fill the stores with rivers of iPad 2.

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: March 08, 2011, 04:25:14 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on March 08, 2011, 02:03:57 AM

So do I hang out at an Apple store for hours waiting for release or take a chance on strolling into a local chain that evening and scoring one. Hopefully apple will fill the stores with rivers of iPad 2.

I'm in this boat... if they don't make it widely accessible I will wait.  I don't have to spend the money, but i will if they give me the opportunity to. 

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: March 08, 2011, 04:09:37 PM »

Cameras seem to be a cheap part of component cost.  I wonder why they put such cheap ass cameras in the ipad 2?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: March 08, 2011, 04:25:26 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on March 08, 2011, 04:09:37 PM

Cameras seem to be a cheap part of component cost.  I wonder why they put such cheap ass cameras in the ipad 2?
I assume keeping the prices the same as the iPad's is one reason. Certainly I'd pay $100 more for better quality cameras, maybe a memory card slot, etc. But they seemed fixated on matching the iPad's pricing, and I'm not enough of a manufacturing economics geek to know how all that adds up.  icon_smile

My take is they intend it mostly to help with Face Time, Skype and other video conferencing stuff. I don't really know why people would want to hold a bulky (relatively) iPad up as a still camera on a regular basis. If I get one, I'll be loathe to ever take it out in public due to their being such a growing theft target, especially on subways and really, anywhere someone can make a quick getaway.

My iPod Touch 4th gen has a lousy camera too-- actually, it takes beautiful video, it's just not worth much as a still camera (no auto focus, no flash, low megapixel). Some think that's a cost thing, others think they just want to keep the idea of a relatively good camera w/ flash exclusive to the iPhone. I don't buy the idea that it's cause the Touch 4G is so thin -- we've all seen what camera makers are doing in terms of nearly wafer and credit card thin digital cameras that are decently featured.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:30:29 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: March 08, 2011, 05:59:45 PM »

CNN Buyers' Guide for this Friday (no pre-orders):
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/03/08/buying.ipad2.mashable/index.html?hpt=Sbin
Instead, the iPad 2 will be available via Apple.com at some point early Friday, and in retail stores starting at 5:00pm. Online reports indicate that Apple.com sales will start at 12:01am PST on March 11, 2011. East coast buyers, set your clocks for 3am.

At Apple.com, users can choose between white or black variants in Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi + 3G. Users can select either Verizon or AT&T for their Wi-Fi + 3G unit.

Apple promises "fast, free shipping," which indicates they are using 2-day Fed Ex or UPS. Depending on when an order goes through, it's possible users could get units on Monday March 14, 2011.

We'll be realistic and expect that most users who place an order on Friday will receive their packages on Tuesday March 15, 2011. Like Caesar, you'll need to watch for the Ides of March.

Apple retail stores will begin selling the iPad 2 at 5:00pm. Typically, Apple shuts down its stores for a few hours prior to launch in order to get signage, inventory and staff in place.

Lines may start at some outdoor Apple stores as early as Friday morning (if not Thursday night), but indoor mall locations may start later, depending on mall policies and general shopping traffic.

Retail partners

In addition to the Apple retail stores, the iPad 2 will also be available at Best Buy, Target, Walmart and Sam's Club.

Verizon Wireless will also be selling the iPad 2 on Friday March 11, 2011. None of the retail launch partners have specified if sales will take place both in-store and online, but we expect that in-store sales will not begin until 5:00pm.
Ugh. I normally only stay up until 3 a.m. to play games. We'll see...

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1062 on: March 08, 2011, 07:55:38 PM »

in-store sales at 5PM? grrrrrrrrr.....

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: March 09, 2011, 03:38:08 AM »

flash app for the ipad: http://venturebeat.com/2011/03/08/iswifter-lets-ipad-access-unlimited-number-of-videos-and-games-exclusive/

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1064 on: March 09, 2011, 04:07:27 AM »

I asked at Walmart today about availability on launch day. The guy thought they would be lucky to get iPad 2's a week after launch. I guess it is off to the launch event at a nearby Apple store. I have never done one before. I hope there are a lot of crazies.

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: March 09, 2011, 04:41:20 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on March 09, 2011, 04:07:27 AM

I asked at Walmart today about availability on launch day. The guy thought they would be lucky to get iPad 2's a week after launch. I guess it is off to the launch event at a nearby Apple store. I have never done one before. I hope there are a lot of crazies.

i talked with a salesperson at BB yesterday.  She was happy to sell me an Ipad 1, but had no clue if/when they would be getting the 2's

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: March 10, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »

Lots of guided tour videos of iPad 2 at the site (some are older videos, a few are updated to demonstrate iPad 2):
http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 01:47:16 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: March 10, 2011, 03:44:10 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 10, 2011, 01:44:00 PM

Lots of guided tour videos of iPad 2 at the site (some are older videos, a few are updated to demonstrate iPad 2):
http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/

It's all still boring iOS.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: March 10, 2011, 06:32:27 PM »

Shucks, they've moved the online order time to 1 a.m. Pacific (4 a.m. Eastern) on Friday instead of midnight. So I think I'm out cause I have to get something resembling a good night's sleep (I've already been up too late playing Rift the last couple nights).
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/10/apple_will_begin_taking_online_ipad_2_orders_at_1_a_m_pt_4_a_m_et_friday.html
Although maybe if I just set all my clock's to Pacific time, I can outsmart myself into staying awake that long!  icon_razz

*Endgadget posted its full iPad2 review today:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/09/ipad-2-review/
Basically, as known, the cameras suck (about the same as my iPod Touch's), but they seem enthusiastic about it otherwise and the battery life actually seemed better (by nearly an hour) than iPad's:
It might frustrate the competition to hear this, but it needs to be said: the iPad 2 isn't just the best tablet on the market, it feels like the only tablet on the market.

As much as we'd like to say that something like the Xoom has threatened Apple's presence in this space, it's difficult (if not impossible) to do that. Is the iPad 2 a perfect product? Absolutely not. The cameras are severely lacking, the screen -- while extremely high quality -- is touting last year's spec, and its operating system still has significant annoyances, like the aggravating pop-up notifications.

At a price point of $499, and lots of options after that (like more storage and models that work on both Verizon's and AT&T's 3G networks), there's little to argue about in the way of price, and in terms of usability, apps like GarageBand prove that we haven't even scratched the surface of what the iPad can do.

For owners of the previous generation, we don't think Apple's put a fire under you to upgrade. Unless you absolutely need cameras on your tablet, you've still got a solid piece of gear that reaps plenty of the benefits of the latest OS and apps. For those of you who haven't yet made the leap, feel free to take a deep breath and dive in -- the iPad 2 is as good as it gets right now. And it's really quite good.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 06:45:45 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: March 10, 2011, 07:26:23 PM »

Engadget must have been keeping up with this thread.   All thats been said here and we do not even have a ipad2.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: March 10, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 10, 2011, 06:32:27 PM

Shucks, they've moved the online order time to 1 a.m. Pacific (4 a.m. Eastern) on Friday instead of midnight. So I think I'm out cause I have to get something resembling a good night's sleep (I've already been up too late playing Rift the last couple nights).
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/10/apple_will_begin_taking_online_ipad_2_orders_at_1_a_m_pt_4_a_m_et_friday.html
Although maybe if I just set all my clock's to Pacific time, I can outsmart myself into staying awake that long!  icon_razz

lol!  Yeah I was just complaining about this - midnight would have been great for me but now I have another hour to either try to sleep and wake myself up or just sit it out.  I guess I could play some extra DA2 smile  Or I'm still debating one of the stores - with Best Buy, Target, AT&T, Verizon and Walmart all in the lineup I'm kind of on the fence as to going for a retail sale...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: March 10, 2011, 07:38:29 PM »

Fwiw, Laptop Magazine's take:
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/tablets/apple-ipad-2-verizon-wireless.aspx
Apple didn't need to do a lot to stay in the tablet lead, but it has certainly done enough to create more distance between itself and the rest of the field. The thinner, lighter iPad 2 raises the bar for design. And while the new dual-core processor didn't blow us away, it provides a noticeable performance boost while making resource-hungry apps such as iMovie feel buttery smooth. Then there's the Smart Case, which demonstrates Apple's uncanny hardware and software integration.

The camera quality isn't great, and there's no 4G data or mobile hotspot feature. At the same time, Android 3.0 tablets such as the Motorola Xoom do a better job with multitasking and notifications. But when you look at the whole package--hardware, software, apps, battery life, accessories, and price--the iPad 2 is the king of tablets.
Keep in mind both reviews have lots of testing data and details if you want that stuff. I'm just quoting the "verdicts."  icon_smile So yes, it'll sound a lot like what we've all predicted. Read the details if you want more.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:44:54 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: March 11, 2011, 03:02:29 PM »

Did anybody order?  icon_smile

It's supposed to be at several stores including BB, Target etc., so I might end up getting it that way later.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: March 11, 2011, 05:28:19 PM »

Order online wait 2-3wks. I can wait from the excitement dies down

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: March 11, 2011, 05:48:21 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 11, 2011, 05:28:19 PM

Order online wait 2-3wks. I can wait from the excitement dies down

I wonder how many they had to allocate to online orders because that wait time happened after only a couple hours.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: March 11, 2011, 05:49:06 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 11, 2011, 03:02:29 PM

It's supposed to be at several stores including BB, Target etc., so I might end up getting it that way later.

totally forgot about it, but it would have been an impulse buy anyways.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: March 11, 2011, 07:32:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 11, 2011, 05:49:06 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on March 11, 2011, 03:02:29 PM

totally forgot about it, but it would have been an impulse buy anyways.

I stayed up a little past my bedtime and they actually started the orders a bit early.  Ordered and had a 3-5 day delivery time.  I'll probably still stop by Best Buy and/or Apple on the way home to check out the lines.  If they aren't horrible I may try to get one tonight and cancel the order.
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: March 11, 2011, 07:51:16 PM »

Guy at work grabbed me a voucher this morning at Best Buy for the black 32 gig wifi. Right on! I will be picking it up after 5:00 today.

I've been without mine for over a week and I really miss it.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: March 11, 2011, 10:35:34 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on March 11, 2011, 07:51:16 PM

Guy at work grabbed me a voucher this morning at Best Buy for the black 32 gig wifi. Right on! I will be picking it up after 5:00 today.

I thought the vouchers weren't being passed out until 4:30?  Was this on the down low, so to speak?
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: March 12, 2011, 04:19:04 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 11, 2011, 10:35:34 PM

Quote from: tiktokman on March 11, 2011, 07:51:16 PM

I thought the vouchers weren't being passed out until 4:30?  Was this on the down low, so to speak?

Nope, totally on the up and up. Our local Best Buy handed out vouchers at 10am. Just now getting a chance to sync it up and play with it.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: