http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 06:28:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Apple iPad  (Read 50764 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: March 02, 2011, 07:07:03 PM »

damn, now to debate whether the iPad 3 rumors are true....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1001 on: March 02, 2011, 07:08:01 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on March 02, 2011, 07:01:08 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 02, 2011, 06:50:58 PM

Just for you, PR_GMR

The filmmaker in me wants it right now! The frugal good guy says 'No!'. I love gadgets too much. I think the filmmaker in me will win this one.  icon_biggrin

Editing HD video on a tablet, with a mobile CPU?  I'm willing to be proven wrong, but on the surface it sounds like a nightmare.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: March 02, 2011, 07:14:44 PM »

Aw man no MobileMe revamp?  BOO!
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: March 02, 2011, 07:30:36 PM »

Quote from: Devil on March 02, 2011, 07:04:05 PM

Nice!

No real reason for me to upgrade!

+1 
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: March 02, 2011, 07:45:53 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on March 02, 2011, 07:30:36 PM

Quote from: Devil on March 02, 2011, 07:04:05 PM

Nice!

No real reason for me to upgrade!

+1 

+2
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: March 02, 2011, 07:55:34 PM »

FYI - first gen iPads are on clearance for $100 off

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/clearance/ipad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 02, 2011, 08:02:59 PM »

was hoping for a price cut, the 3G model I'd want is out of the price range I could justify for it.

Because I can,
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 02, 2011, 08:04:03 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 02, 2011, 07:55:34 PM

FYI - first gen iPads are on clearance for $100 off

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/clearance/ipad

And that is one of the best things about today.

If you have been on the fence on getting the ipad, you can now grab used ipads cheap from people upgrading to the ipad 2.  

Or buy a new ipad 1 cheap as well.  
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1008 on: March 02, 2011, 08:12:11 PM »

I'm thinking about taking next Friday off and hanging out in line with the squeenager for an iPad 2. The new one looks sweet and mine gets used more than a toilet seat at Denny's.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 02, 2011, 08:18:49 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on March 02, 2011, 08:12:11 PM

I'm thinking about taking next Friday off and hanging out in line with the squeenager for an iPad 2. The new one looks sweet and mine gets used more than a toilet seat at Denny's.

Yea, a buddy that knows I am a gadget freak offered to buy my ipad a month ago.  (Thinking I would be jumping on the ipad 2)

Nu uh. not for sale. 
If I do jump on the ipad 3, I am keeping this one.   It will become the kids ipad, lay off dads...   

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1010 on: March 02, 2011, 08:42:34 PM »

Was totally prepared to drop coin on this TODAY. I hate waiting. Waited a whole year, dammit!

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 02, 2011, 08:46:39 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on March 02, 2011, 08:12:11 PM

mine gets used more than a toilet seat at Denny's.

I don't know, personally I avoid the toilet's at Denny's like the plague (as would any person who can see) so that could mean you use it very little.

Because I can,
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 02, 2011, 10:35:24 PM »

No upgrade for me.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 02, 2011, 10:38:25 PM »

Might pick up a refurbed 16GB now for $350 and then pick the 2 for my birthday. I'll let my wife keep the refurbed.
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 02, 2011, 11:44:31 PM »

Quote from: gellar on March 02, 2011, 10:35:24 PM

No upgrade for me.

Same. This is great for the people that were holding out, but I see no compelling reason to upgrade from the first gen.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 03, 2011, 12:15:10 AM »

Quote from: Mookee on March 02, 2011, 11:44:31 PM

No upgrade for me.

Same. This is great for the people that were holding out, but I see no compelling reason to upgrade from the first gen.

Once the first games come out that require the A5 graphics processor you will succomb.  Plus think of all the hot video chat you could be doing with fellow GT members like that naked TK-421!
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 03, 2011, 12:36:15 AM »

Quote from: Morgul on March 02, 2011, 03:54:19 PM

I run into problems with Flash all the time on my ipad. 
I usually have to make note of the video I cannot watch, close out the browser, and launch the "you tube" app and search for it.

Not a total deal breaker, but yes, it is a PITA.

Allot more work then if the damn thing would just use flash like the rest of the world.

Me too. I browse a bunch of websites that use flash for video. It's a pain. Not a deal breaker, but certainly a deficiency. I do most of my browsing through Reeder, so I have to star the pages where I want to see the flash video and then fire up my desktop of laptop to see them at a later time. Annoying.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 03, 2011, 12:58:30 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 03, 2011, 12:15:10 AM

Once the first games come out that require the A5 graphics processor you will succomb.  Plus think of all the hot video chat you could be doing with fellow GT members like that naked TK-421!

I doubt this will happen before the iPad 3 comes out.

I have an iPhone 3GS, skipped the iPhone 4, and I haven't run into any games that doesn't run on the 3GS.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 03, 2011, 01:42:20 AM »

no upgrade for me either. I am happy to see that their 2nd gen is beating many of the competitors to market though - I am not a apple fanboy.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1019 on: March 03, 2011, 04:55:32 AM »

The new case seems pretty damn hot. Part of me is tempted to upgrade just so I could get that, but otherwise I'm still very happy with my current iPad and will put the money back in savings for the iPad 3 (hopefully the rumors that it'll come out this fall will be true)
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: March 03, 2011, 05:08:10 AM »

Quote from: DarkEL on March 03, 2011, 04:55:32 AM

The new case seems pretty damn hot. Part of me is tempted to upgrade just so I could get that, but otherwise I'm still very happy with my current iPad and will put the money back in savings for the iPad 3 (hopefully the rumors that it'll come out this fall will be true)

With the whole theme of today being "2011 is the year of iPad 2" I'd say there's pretty much zero chance another one comes out in the fall.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: March 03, 2011, 10:25:02 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 03, 2011, 12:15:10 AM

Quote from: Mookee on March 02, 2011, 11:44:31 PM

No upgrade for me.

Once the first games come out that require the A5 graphics processor you will succomb.  Plus think of all the hot video chat you could be doing with fellow GT members like that naked TK-421!

I don't think Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, or Solitaire need to be any faster.  I am not a portable gamer beyond simple games like those.

As DarkEL pointed out, really the most exciting thing about the iPad 2 is the damn fancypants new case.  That thing is awesome.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 03, 2011, 12:58:51 PM »

I don't really care about the gaming speed increase as much as the overall improvements in speed in everyday and business type tasks (Endgadget seemed genuinely blown away by the speed increase in general usage terms). Though I wouldn't look at the graphic speed increase as meaningless -- if its that much faster, then it should open the door to certain kinds of games that take advantage of it, rather than "Turbo Flight Control" or "Angry Birds on Steroids."  icon_smile

Ironically, I had already planned to take March 11 off. However, I don't see myself waiting in a lawn chair at my Apple store that day.  icon_smile I'm warming up to the idea of getting one.

After doing some research, apparently neither 3G model would in Korea (they might work with the Wi-Fi at hotels there), so I guess that's a moot point. I figure it would be nice to have though.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 01:00:42 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: March 03, 2011, 01:37:55 PM »

I got a 32 3g ipad

If I had it to do over again I would buy the 16 wifi ipad

Reason:  I don't want to pay for 3g on my phone and ipad.   I have wi fi at home, at work, and at the coffee shop / McD's at lunch, etc..
Hell, even on vacation, most hotels have wi fi.

After the first month, I turned 3g off on the ipad and never turn it back on.   I just never use it.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 03, 2011, 03:13:11 PM »

Deciding now if I will go 16 or 32, but I'm certain that I will go Wifi.  No need for a 3G version

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: March 03, 2011, 03:20:49 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on March 03, 2011, 01:37:55 PM

I got a 32 3g ipad

If I had it to do over again I would buy the 16 wifi ipad

Reason:  I don't want to pay for 3g on my phone and ipad.   I have wi fi at home, at work, and at the coffee shop / McD's at lunch, etc..
Hell, even on vacation, most hotels have wi fi.

After the first month, I turned 3g off on the ipad and never turn it back on.   I just never use it.
Thanks for the food for thought, although I just have a Touch, not a smartphone.

I'm basically pretty damn boring and I guess I wouldn't see myself having use for the 3G more than once/twice a year at most. So I'll mull that over.  icon_smile

My 2G 16GB touch wasn't quite large enough for the amount of stuff I eventually had on it (the 32GB latest Touch has proven just right -- though if they had a 24GB version that might've been a good fit for me), so I think 32GB would be good for me.

I'm a reporter, so I still haven't figured out whether I could actually tap out a short story or some notes on these things. I've fiddled with them in stores of course, but not really long enough to know. I realize you can add Bluetooth keyboards etc., but to me it's always sort of gumming up what's special about the product. It was like me attaching fold-out keyboards to my Palm and Visor PDAs.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:29:08 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: March 03, 2011, 05:48:32 PM »

Um, anyone have any experience with white iPods, laptops or gadgets? Does the color seem any more/less prone to fingerprints and smudging and such? I don't have any style preference per se, but I know on my black LCD monitor at home, and my blue Acer netbook, the smudging and fingerprints is out of control if I get my grubby hands on the surfaces. I dunno, maybe color doesn't matter and I should just wear rubber gloves.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: March 03, 2011, 10:15:42 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 03, 2011, 12:58:51 PM

I don't really care about the gaming speed increase as much as the overall improvements in speed in everyday and business type tasks (Endgadget seemed genuinely blown away by the speed increase in general usage terms). Though I wouldn't look at the graphic speed increase as meaningless -- if its that much faster, then it should open the door to certain kinds of games that take advantage of it, rather than "Turbo Flight Control" or "Angry Birds on Steroids."  icon_smile

This!  Knowing that you can already run the Unreal 3 Engine fairly smoothly on the iPad means improved performance is only going to expand the gaming capabilities even further.  After seeing the basic possibilities in games like Rage, Infinity Blade and (I think) Dungeon Defenders, I can't wait to see how much further developers are going to go.

I'm also thinking/hoping the better the core performance, the more versatile it will be with remote computing, giving you even more raw power at your disposal.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: March 03, 2011, 11:59:57 PM »

See that's the thing - I've never once found my iPad to be 'slow'.  It's good at what it does.  Better is all well and good but it's not worth a $700 upgrade.  I don't feel the need of raw power for Evernote, Kindle, movie watching, and web browsing.  I'm sure I'd enjoy it being faster, but I sure as hell don't need it to be.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: March 04, 2011, 12:11:18 AM »

I was hoping for a screen resolution bump, but I've waited long enough - basically waving my credit card at my screen at this point smile  I doubt I would upgrade if I had an original, but after listening for a year to everyone I know rave about how much they love the thing, I'm ready to jump in.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: March 04, 2011, 12:15:59 AM »

Quote from: kathode on March 04, 2011, 12:11:18 AM

I was hoping for a screen resolution bump, but I've waited long enough - basically waving my credit card at my screen at this point smile  I doubt I would upgrade if I had an original, but after listening for a year to everyone I know rave about how much they love the thing, I'm ready to jump in.

This...

I will be getting one.  I don't have data on my phone so a 3g model will be perfect for me. 

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: March 04, 2011, 01:38:25 AM »

I am worthless and weak. I make gellar look like a Luddite.

*sigh*

I'll be getting the ipad 2 next week if everything falls into place. I've already sold my 64 gig wifi. Got a decent price for it especially considering the screen has a scratch on it that drives me crazy. It's not too bad for a normal person but I can't 'not see it' every time I use the damn thing. A guy at work is buying it and has seen the scratch and deemed it insignificant. I'll probably be going with the 32 gig this time to save a few bucks. With the new itunes streaming I see no need to load my entire library on this one.

I really want the new screen sharing feature and the camera for Facetime calls with my daughter. The extra horsepower won't hurt either for the recording project I'm starting.

Anyway....

I am worthless and weak. I am beholden to shiny and new. I make gellar look frugal.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: March 04, 2011, 01:19:21 PM »

* fwiw, I read Best Buy will also offer iPad 2's on March 11. Wal-Mart is advertising it will carry it, but hasn't yet specified a date.

* I just wonder, since we can't pre-order, if I order online that morning (I have the day off anyway, to go hang out with my brother belatedly for his 50th birthday) if I'm going to run into the situation I sometimes do on popular concerts. You spend 15 minutes hitting the browser refresh button only to find it's sold out.  tear icon_smile Or is it one of those things where you try to order at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time?

* Australian case-maker Cygnett (in spite of the cool, magnetic iPad 2 cover and all) is offering a whole new line of iPad 2 cases:
http://www.cygnett.com/products/ipad/ipad2_accs.htm

I'm a clod, so the Armour case might appeal to me, at least if I ever wanted to risk taking it On the Road.  icon_smile
http://www.cygnett.com/products/cases/armour_ipad2.html
I don't think it's metal (not like, say, a Rhino-Skin), it's just extra-reinforced.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:22:20 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: March 04, 2011, 01:28:03 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 03, 2011, 05:48:32 PM

Um, anyone have any experience with white iPods, laptops or gadgets? Does the color seem any more/less prone to fingerprints and smudging and such? I don't have any style preference per se, but I know on my black LCD monitor at home, and my blue Acer netbook, the smudging and fingerprints is out of control if I get my grubby hands on the surfaces. I dunno, maybe color doesn't matter and I should just wear rubber gloves.  icon_razz

White Macbooks are notorious for turning yellow over time on the keyboard area due to dirt and grease from hands. That part is matte and somewhat textured. The smooth parts are much easier to keep clean and simply don't get as much contact. My black iPhone holds fingerprints really well. My guess is the front of the white iPad will not discolor too bad because it's shiny and can be wiped down, and you will see fingerprints on the black one.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: March 04, 2011, 03:14:22 PM »

if you're worried about fingerprints just get someone to paint the case to look like it's got fingerprints all over it so any that your greasy fingers get on it can be just written off as part of the look.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: March 04, 2011, 03:24:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 04, 2011, 03:14:22 PM

if you're worried about fingerprints just get someone to paint the case to look like it's got fingerprints all over it so any that your greasy fingers get on it can be just written off as part of the look.
Clearly you should be talking to venture capitalists to fund an entire company based around that premise! Think about what you could accomplish if you weren't funneling all your money into Steam purchases.  smirk

iSkin plans to make some iPad 2 cases, but seeks a little feedback first:

WHAT'S NEXT: iSkin and iPad 2
http://blog.myiskin.com/whats-next-iskin-and-ipad-2

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: March 04, 2011, 03:25:38 PM »

I know your probably talking about the bezel and back of the ipad, which I have no comment, never had one in white.

But, I will tell you, the screen on the ipad looks just like the screen on your ipod/iphone/android ...

Nasty and always smeared.    There a nice "pouch" from http://sfbags.com/products/ipad-cases/ipad-cases.php
It cleans the screen when you pull it out.   Or, you carry around a microfiber cloth and hit it a few times a day.

If I were buying the ipad 2, I would go with the apple cover.  I think it looks cool...  39 bucks not too bad.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: March 04, 2011, 03:30:41 PM »

Quote from: gellar on March 03, 2011, 11:59:57 PM

See that's the thing - I've never once found my iPad to be 'slow'.  It's good at what it does.  Better is all well and good but it's not worth a $700 upgrade.  I don't feel the need of raw power for Evernote, Kindle, movie watching, and web browsing.  I'm sure I'd enjoy it being faster, but I sure as hell don't need it to be.

Yea..  Faster, slimmer, lighter..   I would buy a ipad 2..  But, I love my ipad.   So, I cant justify the purchase.  I will wait on the ipad 3..

But if anyone is rich or something, you can buy me a ipad 2 16 wifi..   And umm, snag me one of these too.   I am dying to check it out. 

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/03/03/wifi-only-motorola-xoom-headed-to-sams-club-possibly-priced-at-539/

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: March 04, 2011, 03:44:04 PM »

I just mean white devices (phones, laptops, Nintendo DSs, anything) in general.  icon_smile Most of my stuff has been black to this point. My Ipod Touches have always gone into cases of sorts. I use an InvisibleShield on my Touch and though I put it on a bit crooked, it seems to have "seated" nicely (couple air pockets worked themselves out) and it does keep finger print smearing down decently without me having to constantly wipe it.

Since I'm too inept to put a small screen protector on straight, I'm not sure I'd want to try it with an iPad.  icon_redface

Just out of curiosity, I fiddled with Best Buy's "buy back program calculator":
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Misc/Buy-Back-Program/pcmcat230000050010.c?id=pcmcat230000050010&DCMP=rdr2161
*The redemption rates are fairly lame, about 50% after 6 months, 40% in the 6-12 month range etc. I'm sure you can do better on Craig's List, eBay, or at the forums here. And it costs $99.99 to begin with. So in the end, for about a $500 iPad, after a year, you'd net about $100 in Best buy credit, all things considered (subtracting the program's initial cost). Ugh. I'd rather just pass it on to family or keep it as a spare.  icon_smile

I like the concept, and the commercials ("4DTV! I'm such an idiot!"; the woman who just bought a new cellphone seeing the billboard ad for a new model and screaming, "WHAT???"; and the guy using his laptop at a restaurant who spits up his coffee when he sees an ad for "an even newer laptop!" etc.  icon_lol) But it seems almost a worst deal than some of the extended warranties.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 03:47:51 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: March 04, 2011, 05:50:58 PM »

Quote from: gellar on March 03, 2011, 11:59:57 PM

+1

I have yet to find an app or game which felt slow to me.  Now obviously they have designed for the iPad 1 but I just don't feel like horsepower is what I am lacking.  In fact I don't feel anything is lacking for me.  I love my iPad just like it is. 

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: