http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 02:38:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Apple iPad  (Read 49081 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: April 14, 2010, 02:58:42 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on April 14, 2010, 02:57:31 PM

Quote from: ydejin on April 14, 2010, 04:31:46 AM

Not so good at posting to GamingTrend or replying to e-mail.  Definitely not good at writing anything longer than a short memo.  You can get around this a bit if you buy and are willing to carry around the wireless keyboard.

There's always the flexible keyboards.  

I wouldn't want to write a paper with it, but I find the keyboard very easy to use, especially in landscape mode.  I can type well on it.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 14, 2010, 03:08:32 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 14, 2010, 02:39:17 PM

Quote from: raydude on April 14, 2010, 12:26:20 PM

I'm interested in hearing more comments on how it reads vs. something with e-ink. Especially for long reading periods.

I was pretty skeptical about using it as a reader, since I have a Kindle.  I must say, though, that it doesn't bother my eyes at all.  Also, since it is much snappier than a Kindle, I am debating on whether to bother to use my Kindle anymore.  The one thing I hear the Kindle is better for would be in direct sunlight, but if I am outside, I usually don't want to read (and can't, because I get to distracted).  However, I am going to take it outside later today to see if it is really all that bad.  I wonder if it could be fixed by allowing white type on black background.

The direct sunlight has to deal directly with the glass top. It is the same with the iPhone there is just to much reflection and glare in the screen so it wouldn't really matter what is one the screen since you can't really see the screen anyway. If you are in the shade/under an umbrella or something it should be okay. It's the same issue with the iPhone or any phone with a glass top on it.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: April 14, 2010, 03:12:45 PM »

I'm interested in hearing more comments on how it reads vs. something with e-ink. Especially for long reading periods.

I was pretty skeptical about using it as a reader, since I have a Kindle.  I must say, though, that it doesn't bother my eyes at all.  Also, since it is much snappier than a Kindle, I am debating on whether to bother to use my Kindle anymore.  The one thing I hear the Kindle is better for would be in direct sunlight, but if I am outside, I usually don't want to read (and can't, because I get to distracted).  However, I am going to take it outside later today to see if it is really all that bad.  I wonder if it could be fixed by allowing white type on black background.

That's interesting. It kind of makes me wonder why there was any research done for e-ink at all. Especially if there is no difference in eyestrain.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: April 14, 2010, 03:27:53 PM »

Alright, I took it outside and see what people mean.  The Kindle app actually has a black background/white type setting and it made it worse.  What I found, though, is if I tilt the iPad so that I can't see my own reflection, it is more readable.  Still, I took the Kindle outside and it is beautiful to read on in the light with no reflections.

So now it comes down to deciding if I like the iBooks reader that much better that it is worth limiting myself with regards to outdoors.  My other worry was not using my Kindle anymore and having it go to waste, but I guess I could just give it to my wife.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: April 14, 2010, 08:54:52 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on April 14, 2010, 02:18:07 PM

Is there disc abilities with this? Can you send downloaded stuff to main PC and burn it off, or store it on the Desktop?

Yeah, you can dump everything off to your desktop and transfer stuff back and forth.  It's pretty damn slow though, at least on my PC.  I think it took upwards of 20 minutes to transfer 5 HD episodes of Justified.  Not sure if it's the iPad's fault or my USB connections (pretty sure I'm running USB 2.0).
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: April 14, 2010, 09:02:53 PM »

Just to put it out there, so I can try to decide which storefront to buy books from:

Kindle:
1) Can read on both Kindle and iPad
2) Better for reading outdoors

iPad:
1) I like the book reader software better
2) Bigger screen
3) Can read at night with no book light
4) Always have my Ipad with me

Yeah, it looks like it leans to iPad, but I still can't decide.  I hate limiting myself and if on some off chance I want to read outdoors (which never happens), I hate knowing I can't.  Or at least that is what the people on the Internet are saying.  I guess I jus tneed to test it myself later.

Going through the same debate myself.  I really hate to get locked in to a single hardware vendor with iBook.  On the other hand, I strongly prefer the iBook app to the Kindle app.  Key reasons (1) iBook just seems better designed, (2) iBook app seems to provide better brightness/dimness control, which is particularly important if trying to read in the dark (dang that screen is super bright reading in the dark), (3) I like iBook's two-page format, (4) iBook's fonts look a bit clearer and more readable to me, I'm not sure why (maybe it's just psychological).

I'm going to have to run some experiments and see how I handle reading on E-Ink vs. iPad before I make any decisions.  But staying with the Kindle means you'll probably be able to read on a wide range of platforms, since Amazon will have an incentive to get their reader on as many platforms as possible.  That's a big plus IMO and may end up settling the debate for me.
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: April 14, 2010, 09:12:52 PM »

I'm tempted to buy an Ipad, but as a dedicated Kindle user here were some cons I am concerned about:

1.  iPad is larger and more difficult to hold.  This is a big deal to me.  One of the reasons I like the kindle is that it is easy to read in about any situation.
2.  I like the button for turning pages much more than swiping the screen (or tapping).  I read one handed a lot with the kindle -- is this really feasible with the iPad?
3.  A kindle in a zip lock bag is awesome for reading in the bathtub.  I'm not sure how this would work with a touch screen -- also, I'm not sure the larger iPad would even fit in a zip lock bag.
4.  Battery life.  The kindle's battery almost seems unlimited without 3g on (now with 3g on it is kind of lame and that becomes more of an issue when you're synching devices).  

I was pretty skeptical about using it as a reader, since I have a Kindle.  I must say, though, that it doesn't bother my eyes at all.  Also, since it is much snappier than a Kindle, I am debating on whether to bother to use my Kindle anymore.  The one thing I hear the Kindle is better for would be in direct sunlight, but if I am outside, I usually don't want to read (and can't, because I get to distracted).  However, I am going to take it outside later today to see if it is really all that bad.  I wonder if it could be fixed by allowing white type on black background.

My other debate, though, is whether to buy books on the Kindle store or iBooks.  I like the reader for iBooks better than the Kindle app, but I also see that you can synch your page position between the Kindle app and the Kindle itself, which would be great if I wanted to swap between the two.

While I was typing this to synch the Kindle to where I had read a book on the iPad, I just noticed how horribly small my Kindle screen is compared to the iPad.  Oh, why do I have to make decisions?

Just to put it out there, so I can try to decide which storefront to buy books from:

Kindle:

iPad:
2) Bigger screen

Yeah, it looks like it leans to iPad, but I still can't decide.  I hate limiting myself and if on some off chance I want to read outdoors (which never happens), I hate knowing I can't.  Or at least that is what the people on the Internet are saying.  I guess I jus tneed to test it myself later.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: April 14, 2010, 09:54:04 PM »

For reading outside, hands down the Kindle is the better device. I read in my car in the mornings before going into work and am continuously amazed at how easy that thing is to read in direct sunlight.

On the other hand, my reading at night is usually done in bed, often with a sleeping wife next to me. It would be awesome to be able to read without turning on the light and disturbing her. I tried using one of those little book light things you wear around your neck with the Kindle but it was just uncomfortable and overall a less than ideal experience.

I played around for quite a bit with iBooks in Best Buy last weekend and I'd say my gut feeling is that bells and whistles aside, I prefer the Kindle reading experience. However, for me it comes down to the fact that the iPad can do so much. I just don't see myself carrying around an iPad AND a Kindle, if the iPad can function as an e-reader and will already contain my other reading materials such as comics, magazines, etc.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 14, 2010, 10:29:49 PM »

Kindle:

iPad:
2) Bigger screen

Yeah, it looks like it leans to iPad, but I still can't decide.  I hate limiting myself and if on some off chance I want to read outdoors (which never happens), I hate knowing I can't.  Or at least that is what the people on the Internet are saying.  I guess I jus tneed to test it myself later.

Looking at your iPad list 2, 3, and 4 are all just as valid with the Kindle iPad app.  To me it would seem like a clear win for the Kindle Store.  Even if you sell your Kindle the only thing you miss out on is point 1.

Personally I am reading a free book from the iBook store now just to try it out, but I have no plans on ever buying an iBook book.  I will stick with Amazon and then just read it in whatever format I want (Kindle, iPad, iPhone, mac, pc...) which you currently can't do with iBook.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 14, 2010, 10:47:41 PM »

Quote from: iloveplywood on April 14, 2010, 09:12:52 PM

1.  iPad is larger and more difficult to hold.  This is a big deal to me.  One of the reasons I like the kindle is that it is easy to read in about any situation.

IMO one handing the iPad is not good for more than a few minutes.  Two handing it is acceptable, but will probably get tiring after a while.  Also the iPad without a case is pretty slippery.

2.  I like the button for turning pages much more than swiping the screen (or tapping).  I read one handed a lot with the kindle -- is this really feasible with the iPad?

You can definitely hold the iPad with one hand and then occasionally swipe with the other hand, not really a big deal IMO.  OTOH if you absolutely cannot use the other hand, I think it would be very difficult to hold and swipe the iPad with the same hand.

3.  A kindle in a zip lock bag is awesome for reading in the bathtub.  I'm not sure how this would work with a touch screen -- also, I'm not sure the larger iPad would even fit in a zip lock bag.

You can certainly get a zip lock large enough for the iPad, but there is no way, I'd want to try reading it in the bathtub.  I'm also pretty sure I personally wouldn't want to try this with the Kindle.  The iPad is way too expensive for me to put it in a situation which would mean frying it.  On a side note, I know generally running electrical devices in the bathtub is a very bad idea.  Your skin has very low resistance when wet, which means that even small voltages will result in potentially deadly amounts of current going through your body if you accidentally make a circuit.  Anyone know if an iPad battery carries enough power to kill someone if dropped in the bathtub?  Just seems like a bad idea all around for Kindle or iPad.

4.  Battery life.  The kindle's battery almost seems unlimited without 3g on (now with 3g on it is kind of lame and that becomes more of an issue when you're synching devices).  

I've been quite pleased with Battery life.  The only time I can see this being an issue is if you're out on a trip.  Even then as long as you can let it recharge at night you should be fine.  I've never come close to running the battery down and have used the iPad on and off all day.  I've seen reports of 12+ hours of battery life, well in excess of the official 10 hours.
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 14, 2010, 11:17:15 PM »

So you're saying I'm going to die naked reading my kindle, eh?  I better get in shape or this could be embarrassing.

Thanks for the info though!  I know I'm going to cave on the iPad eventually, the netflix App was really the final straw, though I'm trying desperately to delay the inevitable.

Quote from: ydejin on April 14, 2010, 10:47:41 PM

IMO one handing the iPad is not good for more than a few minutes.  Two handing it is acceptable, but will probably get tiring after a while.  Also the iPad without a case is pretty slippery.

You can definitely hold the iPad with one hand and then occasionally swipe with the other hand, not really a big deal IMO.  OTOH if you absolutely cannot use the other hand, I think it would be very difficult to hold and swipe the iPad with the same hand.

You can certainly get a zip lock large enough for the iPad, but there is no way, I'd want to try reading it in the bathtub.  I'm also pretty sure I personally wouldn't want to try this with the Kindle.  The iPad is way too expensive for me to put it in a situation which would mean frying it.  On a side note, I know generally running electrical devices in the bathtub is a very bad idea.  Your skin has very low resistance when wet, which means that even small voltages will result in potentially deadly amounts of current going through your body if you accidentally make a circuit.  Anyone know if an iPad battery carries enough power to kill someone if dropped in the bathtub?  Just seems like a bad idea all around for Kindle or iPad.

I've been quite pleased with Battery life.  The only time I can see this being an issue is if you're out on a trip.  Even then as long as you can let it recharge at night you should be fine.  I've never come close to running the battery down and have used the iPad on and off all day.  I've seen reports of 12+ hours of battery life, well in excess of the official 10 hours.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 15, 2010, 06:27:11 PM »

I got Air Video working last night from the inside of my network at home - very nice.  Now I can watch all my stuff on the TV with Tversity or on the iPad with Air Video.  I still can't access it from outside (tried from work on the public wi-fi with my iPhone) but that could be a port forwarding issue at home.  Even if I can't get it to work it is well worth $3 for in home streaming.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: April 15, 2010, 07:48:35 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on April 15, 2010, 06:27:11 PM

I got Air Video working last night from the inside of my network at home - very nice.  Now I can watch all my stuff on the TV with Tversity or on the iPad with Air Video.  I still can't access it from outside (tried from work on the public wi-fi with my iPhone) but that could be a port forwarding issue at home.  Even if I can't get it to work it is well worth $3 for in home streaming.

Just FYI -- I also couldn't get it to work from the internet until I realized that I needed to write down the serial number of the server from my PC side Air Video server and then enter it in the Air Video app on my iPad.    It creates a different server connection than the one that I had set up locally at home.   Should work then.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: April 15, 2010, 07:52:26 PM »

fwiw, here's Washington Capitals' (NHL) majority owner Ted Leonsis blog-take on an iPad after using it for a week:

My Week with my iPad
http://www.tedstake.com/2010/04/15/my-week-with-my-ipad/
In case you don't feel like visiting, pasted in below:
Spoiler for Hiden:
What I like.

Battery life– Wow it is great. And it really does last ten hours. Apple has done a great job here.

Screen quality– Amazing. Clear, crisp and easy on the eyes. Photo capture and storage and display look like fine art.

Games– Gosh this is a gamer’s dream machine. I am amazed and I don’t like video games. Its mind blowing. I am addicted to my car racing game already!

ITV– I think the Ipad is a forerunner of true mobile television. The YouTube videos and music videos I have viewed looked perfect.

Ibooks– Good bye to my Kindle. This is better and does a lot more as a device. I can see how this will change educational and learning industries. I have downloaded and paid for 3 books at present. I have spent about $ 50 on e-books. This augers well for the book industry.

Apps– Lots of them and new ones are focused more on productivity. And games, games and games!

Email– I actually really like the new key board design. It works well for me and my fingers.

What I don’t like

It is heavier and bulkier than I thought. It doesn’t fit well in a briefcase when it is in its carrying case. When I carry it just in its case I feel “too European metro sexual” or something :-) It weighs 1.5 pounds by the way.

Speakers for some reason I have wanted to use the Ipad as a boom box like a big Ipod but it doesn’t cut it. It needs better speakers.

Only use of Wifi– I want to use it in a car or travel but I can’t right now so I leave it at home and travel with both a laptop AND my Iphone. It doesn’t work like an Iphone. It needs a hot spot.

I see the Ipad as a bridge between the Iphone and a laptop. I have used it in my bedroom and in my bath room and even by the pool on weekends.

It is too expensive to really recommend it yet to the masses but it really is a spectacular piece of technology and liberal arts. I am impressed
Just keep in mind we're probably not millionaires sitting by the pool.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: April 15, 2010, 10:09:57 PM »

I read my first book completely on the iPad with the Kindle app...it was wonderful smile

In other news...here's what else you can do with an iPad: http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/10906.html
Own an iPad and run a country!
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: April 16, 2010, 12:00:16 AM »

Got a hook up today and had the security certificate put on my 'pad so I can now access my company's network via the office wireless.     I'm one of 2 people that has this in the company right now.    It's sweet.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 16, 2010, 03:10:02 AM »

iPad printing solved!

sorry.  icon_lol

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 16, 2010, 06:59:03 AM »

I spent 30-40 minutes reading a book with the iPad via the Kindle app.  Definitely getting eye-strain.  I'm not sure what the difference is, since I certainly spend way more time than that continiously reading webpages.  Maybe the difference is web reading consists of reading, with regular breaks to switch webpages, and changes of material, and doing things other than just focusing on line after line of text.

I'll do more experimenting, but at this point, I'd have to say it's bad enough that I would not want to try reading books on the iPad.  It's too bad, since the iPad is so much better than the Kindle in many ways.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 16, 2010, 04:10:52 PM »

Have any of you guys used the FCC Mobile Broadband app to check your wifi speeds?

I have absolutely terrible results with the iPad, but my Macbook gets great speeds.  My connection is 24 mb down and my laptop gets around 16, but my iPad gets around 1-2 MB only.  Are you guys seeing this too?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 16, 2010, 09:18:25 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on April 16, 2010, 06:59:03 AM

I spent 30-40 minutes reading a book with the iPad via the Kindle app.  Definitely getting eye-strain.  I'm not sure what the difference is, since I certainly spend way more time than that continiously reading webpages.  Maybe the difference is web reading consists of reading, with regular breaks to switch webpages, and changes of material, and doing things other than just focusing on line after line of text.

I'll do more experimenting, but at this point, I'd have to say it's bad enough that I would not want to try reading books on the iPad.  It's too bad, since the iPad is so much better than the Kindle in many ways.

Don't forget you can adjust the brightness, font size and color of the page, maybe the right combo will help.  Personally I found Sepia page color and lowest brightness worked well for me.  Also I suppose it depends on what kind of lighting you are reading in - I still preferred having a lamp on to the side (same way I read regular books) over reading in complete darkness.

FWIW, I read for about half an hour in the iBooks app and didn't have a bit of eyestrain.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 17, 2010, 01:42:51 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 16, 2010, 09:18:25 PM

Don't forget you can adjust the brightness, font size and color of the page, maybe the right combo will help.  Personally I found Sepia page color and lowest brightness worked well for me.  Also I suppose it depends on what kind of lighting you are reading in - I still preferred having a lamp on to the side (same way I read regular books) over reading in complete darkness.

FWIW, I read for about half an hour in the iBooks app and didn't have a bit of eyestrain.

I've tried reading some more on the iPad today.  I'd agree the Sepia setting is best.  Also agree that some ambient light helps -- reading in the dark did not work well for me.  Still not liking it though.  I think the ultra-glossy screen is also causing me problems.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 17, 2010, 02:05:28 AM »

Quote from: ydejin on April 17, 2010, 01:42:51 AM

Quote from: rittchard on April 16, 2010, 09:18:25 PM

I've tried reading some more on the iPad today.  I'd agree the Sepia setting is best.  Also agree that some ambient light helps -- reading in the dark did not work well for me.  Still not liking it though.  I think the ultra-glossy screen is also causing me problems.

The eye strain doesn't compute for me.    I'm reading the Wheel of Time series on it, and I'm having no eye strain at all.

On another note -- there are after market screen glare reducers.   They go on top of the screen like a protector but they really cut down on the gloss factor.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 17, 2010, 03:31:49 AM »

Some people can't stare at LCD screens all day. I doubt I could, I get enough at work and after awhile I get headaches if I'm staring at something static for a long time....like reading something.....

If it is possible try going dark with light/white text. I switched all of my programming tools to that and it cut down the strain by a lot.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/blogs/bizfeed/190354/five_tips_to_prevent_ipad_eye_strain.html?tk=rss_news
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 03:38:01 AM by SkyLander » Logged

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 17, 2010, 07:51:39 PM »

There is a new version of the kindle app in the app store today.  Supposed to help with contrast and some other fixes, iirc.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 18, 2010, 12:55:15 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 17, 2010, 07:51:39 PM

There is a new version of the kindle app in the app store today.  Supposed to help with contrast and some other fixes, iirc.

Weird, I don't show an update on the App Store.

Edit - But if I go to the app itself, I can see that there is indeed a new version mentioned.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 18, 2010, 04:47:59 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 18, 2010, 12:55:15 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on April 17, 2010, 07:51:39 PM

There is a new version of the kindle app in the app store today.  Supposed to help with contrast and some other fixes, iirc.

Weird, I don't show an update on the App Store.

Edit - But if I go to the app itself, I can see that there is indeed a new version mentioned.

I saw the news on the appshopper.com site, but it looked like the update date on the app store was still apr 7....I didn't actually have it installed, so I did that and downloaded a sample book.  Did the previous version have the sepia option?  It was so much easier to read in sepia, rather than black text on white pages.
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 26, 2010, 08:58:42 PM »

Question for current iPad owners: has the lack of flash been annoying?  I have almost talked myself into getting an iPad, but lately have been thwarted more and more while browsing on my iPhone because of no flash. I mainly plan on using the iPad for browsing the internet in bed and watching netflix (no hulu I guess because of flash right?) but I'm starting to worry that I'll regret buying a $500 web surfing device that can't even use flash.  Am I being paranoid here?
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 26, 2010, 09:10:41 PM »

I haven't noticed at all.  I probably don't surf enough or to the right places.  Many places I frequent have apps - Amazon, Craigslist, Netflix, Weather Channel.

What sites have you felt frustrated with?  I can try them tonight.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 26, 2010, 09:11:57 PM »

Quote from: iloveplywood on April 26, 2010, 08:58:42 PM

Question for current iPad owners: has the lack of flash been annoying?  I have almost talked myself into getting an iPad, but lately have been thwarted more and more while browsing on my iPhone because of no flash. I mainly plan on using the iPad for browsing the internet in bed and watching netflix (no hulu I guess because of flash right?) but I'm starting to worry that I'll regret buying a $500 web surfing device that can't even use flash.  Am I being paranoid here?

It hasn't bugged me at all.  I see it on some sites, but it's definitely not been a bother.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 26, 2010, 09:27:50 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 26, 2010, 09:11:57 PM

It hasn't bugged me at all.  I see it on some sites, but it's definitely not been a bother.

Most of the things I do on the net don't involve Flash, so I've been fine.  Would I like it?  Sure.  Do I need it? Nope.

iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: April 26, 2010, 09:30:52 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on April 26, 2010, 09:10:41 PM

I haven't noticed at all.  I probably don't surf enough or to the right places.  Many places I frequent have apps - Amazon, Craigslist, Netflix, Weather Channel.

What sites have you felt frustrated with?  I can try them tonight.

It's been youtube oddly enough -- I think I've just run into some bad luck with getting sent links to videos that haven't been converted to HTML5.  Then I got bummed a little about Hulu (though I've heard they're making an app).  Have you guys had any problems with game trailers?  At any rate, it's good to hear that it hasn't been a big deal -- thanks for the responses!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 26, 2010, 09:48:07 PM »

Apple's YouTube app doesn't use HTML 5.  Everything that goes through the iPhone/iPad YouTube app has been translated to something else.  If the video hasn't been translated, you won't see it available.

*edit: Apple info

To achieve higher video quality and longer battery life on mobile devices, YouTube has begun encoding their videos in the advanced H.264 format, and iPhone will be the first mobile device to use the H.264-encoded videos. Over 10,000 videos will be available on June 29, and YouTube will be adding more each week until their full catalog of videos is available in the H.264 format this fall.

That was posted in 2007.

*Paraphrased from the Hitler meme thread, now with wiki link on H.264

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 26, 2010, 10:03:58 PM »

I guess this is another example -- it's a link I tried to access from my iphone while browsing this forum:

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/65857/PC/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic/Developer-Diary/Combat-In-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Dev-Diary-Vid

Am I right to assume that a lot of video content is not going to work on the iPad?  That seems like a lot to give up frankly.  (I'll still probably talk myself into getting it). 
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #753 on: April 26, 2010, 10:12:40 PM »

Quote from: iloveplywood on April 26, 2010, 10:03:58 PM

I guess this is another example -- it's a link I tried to access from my iphone while browsing this forum:

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/65857/PC/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic/Developer-Diary/Combat-In-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Dev-Diary-Vid

Am I right to assume that a lot of video content is not going to work on the iPad?  That seems like a lot to give up frankly.  (I'll still probably talk myself into getting it). 

Look at it this way: If the site is focused on video, like Youtube, or Hulu, or something like that, it's a pretty safe bet that sooner rather than later they will be shifting away from the proprietary Flash format and into the open standard of HTML5. Many already have or are in the process.  Other sites will likely follow but it may take a little time.  Everybody I know who has an iPad so far has barely missed Flash at all, so your mileage may vary.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 26, 2010, 11:44:02 PM »

I haven't had any issues with the lack of Flash, but then again it didn't bother me with the iPhone either so I might not be the best person to ask.  I can remember maybe 3 or 4 times I've run into a message saying Flash was needed, but have also ran into plenty of video content that was directly playable through a Youtube window.  Of course this all has to do with what websites you are going to regularly so YMMV.  As for Hulu, as you already heard, it sounds like there will most likely be an app for it coming out soon, so that shouldn't be a concern.

Something else to consider with the iPad - while you might think you are planning on using it primarily for internet and netflix, it will very likely surprise you in some other way with some other special app or game that catches you by surprise.  When I got mine, I was thinking mostly email, browsing and reading (ebooks, magazines, etc) and maybe gaming.  In my present pattern, the thing I use it for the most turned out to be We Rule and Pocket Legends.  What I've spent the most time setting up has been Air Video/Stream to Me, which will allow me to stream all my own video content from my personal server(s).  So I started converting all my Buffy and LOTR DVDs and eventually I hope to have all my favorites ready at the touch of a button.  I've been watching video while walking on the treadmill regularly now, which I had intended to do but wasn't sure would really work out - and it has exceeded my expectations.  I've also been dabbling with using it as a wireless remote to control my server machine (Rowmote Pro), as well as remotely operating my server (Logmein) smile  I'm also loving the Marvel Comic Book app, which is a really fun way to read comics.

In other words, don't underestimate what the iPad can do, my guess is once you start seeing its potential and finding an app that goes along with what you want, you will not be disappointed.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 27, 2010, 12:37:15 AM »

Quote from: iloveplywood on April 26, 2010, 10:03:58 PM

I guess everyone has different things they consider big.   Personally that would be one post out of 50 I would read so it doesn't seem like giving up much of anything but if it is something you really want to see then it would be annoying. 

iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 27, 2010, 05:14:02 AM »

Wow, the streaming video sounds cool, rittchard. 

It seems like I'm making a bigger deal out of the flash stuff than it is -- it's not like I can't go to another computer if I really need to see flash content.

Thanks again for the info everyone. 
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 27, 2010, 06:30:19 PM »

Air Video is insane. There is no technological reason it should be able to work as well as it does. And yet somehow it continuously exceeds my expectations.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 27, 2010, 08:46:55 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on April 26, 2010, 09:48:07 PM

Apple's YouTube app doesn't use HTML 5.  Everything that goes through the iPhone/iPad YouTube app has been translated to something else.  If the video hasn't been translated, you won't see it available.

*edit: Apple info

To achieve higher video quality and longer battery life on mobile devices, YouTube has begun encoding their videos in the advanced H.264 format, and iPhone will be the first mobile device to use the H.264-encoded videos. Over 10,000 videos will be available on June 29, and YouTube will be adding more each week until their full catalog of videos is available in the H.264 format this fall.

That was posted in 2007.

*Paraphrased from the Hitler meme thread, now with wiki link on H.264

There's definitely stuff out there that's unconverted on Youtube.  For example, I was hoping to plug my iPad into the TV and watch episodes of Star Trek: ToS (which are all posted on Youtube by CBS).  Unfortunately they have not been converted and when I try to play them I get a "Not available on your device" message.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 27, 2010, 10:06:15 PM »

I finally tried an iPad for a while at a Best Buy today. It's a little heavier than I expected, though it never felt like I was going to drop it.  icon_smile

While it felt very responsive, I guess they have a sluggish Wi-Fi connection at the store or something cause web pages didn't load very quickly at all. I found typing fairly klutzy though I presume if I was sitting down and using one (they had no chairs there, maybe I should suggest that) it might be a little different. Certainly like everyone says, displaying any multimedia is its strong suit and everything looked and ran great in that department.

I noticed an awful lot of finger smearing on the demo models. I figure some sort of finger-print resistant screen overlay must be in the cards if it isn't already, accessories wise.

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: