http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 02:20:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Apple iPad  (Read 50277 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: April 04, 2010, 02:11:05 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 03, 2010, 10:00:58 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on April 03, 2010, 08:31:59 PM

I thought there'd be more buzz here today...are you guys not impressed with your devices?  I don't have one, I just thought the thread would be off the charts today.

they may say it ok, but u bet they're busy crying in disappointment  slywink

Hehe, I got mine around 2pm PST and after about an hour of syncing I pretty much have not put it down. Im pretty much lost in love with it lol.  So many apps to try and things to play around with, rest assured I'll have a full first impressions soon enough and will cover individual apps as well.  Practicing typing on the keyboard for the first time in this post, thus far i haven't made a single mistake that wasn't corrected except for the capitalization of the I back there. It's not the most comfortable way to type but it is incredibly responsive and accurate (in terms of correction).
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 04, 2010, 02:36:10 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 03, 2010, 03:52:19 PM

I think I have finally broken down and decided I want one, but I think I want to go with the 3G as I would rather pay $30 a month and have Internet in most places I go, rather than be restricted to just WiFi, which I find is actually hard to track down.

In talking with my wife, we decided that if we needed to do something without wireless, we have our phones. Paying $30 a month for unlimited data and the extra $130 for the unit just didn't seem worth it. Therefore,  I am posting this on my new 64G iPad.  Absolutely love it.

Oh, and I had no issues walking into the Apple Store and getting one.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 04, 2010, 02:39:38 AM »

One more thing. Why does every new app I download go on a new page when I have plenty of room for apps on the first page?

Zero

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 04, 2010, 06:12:33 AM »

This thing is just awesome....I have no words to describe how nicely done this thing is smile
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: April 04, 2010, 06:54:46 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 04, 2010, 02:36:10 AM

I think I have finally broken down and decided I want one, but I think I want to go with the 3G as I would rather pay $30 a month and have Internet in most places I go, rather than be restricted to just WiFi, which I find is actually hard to track down.

In talking with my wife, we decided that if we needed to do something without wireless, we have our phones. Paying $30 a month for unlimited data and the extra $130 for the unit just didn't seem worth it. Therefore,  I am posting this on my new 64G iPad.  Absolutely love it.

Did they have more than just the 64GB one left?
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: April 04, 2010, 07:40:37 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 04, 2010, 06:54:46 AM

Quote from: The Grue on April 04, 2010, 02:36:10 AM

Did they have more than just the 64GB one left?

Yep.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: April 04, 2010, 08:38:46 AM »

What's so great about the Netflix app? Is watching movies on the iPad different than on a laptop seeing as how there's no "flipping the page" animation that people seem to care so much about with ebooks? Also, you're still limited to the instant streaming stuff right? Whereas with a laptop you can actually pop in any movie you want because it has a dvd drive.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: April 04, 2010, 12:33:16 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 04, 2010, 08:38:46 AM

What's so great about the Netflix app? Is watching movies on the iPad different than on a laptop seeing as how there's no "flipping the page" animation that people seem to care so much about with ebooks? Also, you're still limited to the instant streaming stuff right? Whereas with a laptop you can actually pop in any movie you want because it has a dvd drive.

All true. It sucks. A laptop is much better. Windows is better. Andriod is better. Apple's strict rules. Etc. Etc.

(The more I use this thing, the more I like it)
 icon_biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: April 04, 2010, 02:52:25 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 04, 2010, 12:33:16 PM

All true. It sucks. A laptop is much better. Windows is better. Andriod is better. Apple's strict rules. Etc. Etc.

icon_biggrin

Is browsing weird without tabs?  (I don't have an iPhone).
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 04, 2010, 03:11:12 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 04, 2010, 02:52:25 PM

icon_biggrin

Is browsing weird without tabs?  (I don't have an iPhone).

No it's not weird. There is a button that opens a preview window of all the tabs that the browser has open. I'm writing this on the iPad.

On a side note on replying on long posts like this - Safari doesn't have the scroll bar on the right. Not sure how to fix that.  On a good note, I've set the home button to make the screen do a dark color inverse when pressed 3 times. It makes browsing in the dark very easy on my eyes!
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: April 04, 2010, 05:06:56 PM »

Probably answered deep in this thread but.......If watching movies, TV, and playing app type games doesn't interest me on a mobile computer what would this iPad have to offer me?

Grace: Unmerited favor.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 04, 2010, 05:16:47 PM »

icon_biggrin

Way to take any criticism of the device there...

I'm also confused why people seem so crazy over the netflix app. "Woot, one more place I can stream movies to even though I already stream netflix on any computer I own, my xbox/ps3/wii/most blu-ray players/TVs with it already integrated/my lawnmower/any electrical device"

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 04, 2010, 05:40:55 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on April 04, 2010, 05:06:56 PM

Probably answered deep in this thread but.......If watching movies, TV, and playing app type games doesn't interest me on a mobile computer what would this iPad have to offer me?

a big shiny penis to whip out at coffee shops.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 04, 2010, 05:46:06 PM »

Haha

http://kotaku.com/5509117/im-the-asshole-at-starbucks-with-the-ipad
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 04, 2010, 07:12:04 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on April 04, 2010, 05:06:56 PM

I'd love to have one by the couch for casual web browsing--like what I'm doing on my iPhone right this moment. I'd need a much lower pricetag to reel me in, though. I know this is supposed to be a new class of portable computing, but for my needs it's just a really slick netbook and is competing with those prices.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 04, 2010, 07:20:09 PM »

Quote from: Skylander
I'm also confused why people seem so crazy over the netflix app. "Woot, one more place I can stream movies to even though I already stream netflix on any computer I own, my xbox/ps3/wii/most blu-ray players/TVs with it already integrated/my lawnmower/any electrical device"

Desktop computers and game systems hooked up to TVs aren't portable, so the competing products for portable Netflixing are netbooks and laptops.  Netbooks have smaller screens than the iPad, and laptops are heavier, hotter, bulkier, and have worse battery life.

I can definitely see the appeal of the iPad; I just need it to either do the same stuff more cheaply or do more stuff at its current price.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 04, 2010, 08:43:24 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 04, 2010, 05:46:06 PM

Whenever I read stuff like this I flash back to someone I know who says he never wears jewelry. Then I think to myself that he does (iPhone). And like the iPhone this is geek jewelry. It serves the purpose of drawing attention to itself and its owner through being a shiny flashy thing. Its expensive. And like jewelry its gets truly appreciated by others who see you with it and therefore it self encourages the owner to bring it out in public.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 04, 2010, 08:57:11 PM »

Ok I've finally got my full first impressions up on my blog.  Its pretty long so be forewarned.

http://rittchard.wordpress.com/2010/04/04/the-ipad-has-landed-first-impressions/
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 05, 2010, 12:11:02 AM »

It's just that it's the same thing, every time, over and over.

Criticism is fine. It's not perfect. Far from it, but it seems as if this is one of those those things that you'll like it or you won't.

Pointing out that the iPad can't play DVDs, or isn't a 48" screen seems a little over the top at this point.

What can it do that a laptop can't? Nothing. A laptop can do more, and if you want a laptop, this isn't for you. End of story. 

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 05, 2010, 12:25:14 AM »

As I stated over in the OO iPad thread, you either see the appeal of the iPhone/iTouch OS/user experience/app store, or you don't. If you don't, then no amount of explanation on earth will explain why somebody would want an iPad over a more feature-rich netbook.

It's not about features, it's about the user experience.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 05, 2010, 12:25:18 AM »

I went to the mall to play with one of these and probably buy one, if they had any in stock at the local apple store, but the mall was closed.  Since when do malls close on Easter?
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 05, 2010, 12:51:23 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 05, 2010, 12:25:18 AM

I went to the mall to play with one of these and probably buy one, if they had any in stock at the local apple store, but the mall was closed.  Since when do malls close on Easter?

Here in the midwest the malls always close on Easter.  I saw a crowd of people hovered over the ipads at Best Buy last night.  I didn't feel like waiting for a chance to play with one.  I was dead set against buying one of these until today. My wife was talking about them and she never talks about any tech gadget so I started looking into them a little more.  I started thinking this would be great to watch MLB.TV on this season. I may have to buy one for myself,  I mean for her.   icon_wink
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 05, 2010, 01:23:34 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 05, 2010, 12:25:14 AM

As I stated over in the OO iPad thread, you either see the appeal of the iPhone/iTouch OS/user experience/app store, or you don't. If you don't, then no amount of explanation on earth will explain why somebody would want an iPad over a more feature-rich netbook.

In the end its also about price point. Im sure even the detractors here will not refuse an iPad if it was handed to them for free. But paying 500 for a "user experience"? That's probably where people start to differ.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 05, 2010, 01:57:35 AM »

Quote from: raydude on April 05, 2010, 01:23:34 AM

In the end its also about price point. Im sure even the detractors here will not refuse an iPad if it was handed to them for free. But paying 500 for a "user experience"? That's probably where people start to differ.

The funny thing is, before the announcement everyone was expecting a $800-$1,000 price point, and was shocked that the lowest price was $500. Now, after everyone got over it and got used to the price... "it's too high!"

Hilarious.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 05, 2010, 01:58:57 AM »

Quote from: Devil on April 05, 2010, 12:11:02 AM

Criticism is fine. It's not perfect. Far from it, but it seems as if this is one of those those things that you'll like it or you won't.

Pointing out that the iPad can't play DVDs, or isn't a 48" screen seems a little over the top at this point.

What can it do that a laptop can't? Nothing. A laptop can do more, and if you want a laptop, this isn't for you. End of story. 

Exactly.   It's like someone criticizing another person for buying a portable DVD player and naming off all the stuff a PS3 could do and that they were stupid to buy the portable DVD player.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: April 05, 2010, 02:00:29 AM »

Where do you live?

Here in Alabama you have two options on Easter:    Walmart and gas stations.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #586 on: April 05, 2010, 02:08:20 AM »

Quote from: raydude on April 05, 2010, 01:23:34 AM

Quote from: YellowKing on April 05, 2010, 12:25:14 AM

As a user experience designer, I can tell you right now that as things go forward, UX is going to be what determines success or failure for any device, app, web page, etc now that technology is becoming more and more accessible to more and more people.  the iPad represents a paradigm shift towards more friendly user experience.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 05, 2010, 02:19:45 AM »

Quote from: ravenvii on April 05, 2010, 01:57:35 AM

The funny thing is, before the announcement everyone was expecting a $800-$1,000 price point, and was shocked that the lowest price was $500. Now, after everyone got over it and got used to the price... "it's too high!"

Hilarious.

Hilarious?  I can't speak for the whole world, but at least for me personally I expected a ~$1000 pricetag when I thought they would unveil something more laptopish. Now that I know it's in this new in-between zone between netbooks and laptops, the $500+ price sort of makes sense, but since for my needs it would fill a netbook role more than a laptop role, it competes with netbook prices for me, and $500+ is too high.  Hilarious!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 05, 2010, 02:26:33 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on April 05, 2010, 02:00:29 AM

Where do you live?

Here in Alabama you have two options on Easter:    Walmart and gas stations.

Northern California
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 05, 2010, 02:47:02 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 05, 2010, 02:19:45 AM

Quote from: ravenvii on April 05, 2010, 01:57:35 AM

Hilarious.

Hilarious?  I can't speak for the whole world, but at least for me personally I expected a ~$1000 pricetag when I thought they would unveil something more laptopish. Now that I know it's in this new in-between zone between netbooks and laptops, the $500+ price sort of makes sense, but since for my needs it would fill a netbook role more than a laptop role, it competes with netbook prices for me, and $500+ is too high.  Hilarious!

HA-HA! Hilarity! Get a ModBook! You slay me!

Hilarity is certainly in the air today! Pass around the pipe, boys!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 05, 2010, 02:52:21 AM »

Free asshole cards with every iPad purchase?  I think the iPad is neat, but it's not in my pricerange yet. I also was not an early adopter for the iPhone, but I'm quite happy with my 3GS.  What gives?
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 05, 2010, 03:06:54 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on April 05, 2010, 01:58:57 AM

Quote from: Devil on April 05, 2010, 12:11:02 AM

Exactly.   It's like someone criticizing another person for buying a portable DVD player and naming off all the stuff a PS3 could do and that they were stupid to buy the portable DVD player.

The difference is that I've never seen the same level of hysteria and gushing over a portable DVD player. I wasn't blindly trying to put the Netflix app on the iPad down, I'm just trying to figure out what all the commotion is about.

I think the iPad is cool, I wanted one at one point, but the more I read impressions to more I feel like people are romanticising over an interface rather than anything else. I feel like I'm trading capability for something that simply looks cool when it does stuff. The best example of this is the Netflix app.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:18:50 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 05, 2010, 03:08:14 AM »

The ipad isn't really something I'm interested in, not first generation at least (for many reasons already stated). I think they'll iron out some issues, find out what people want and the either update it or somebody else will to fill the empty niche. That all said, I'm thrilled they developed it, I always like seeing new tech even if it isn't tech I want or like as it generally stimulates development of other cool things. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:10:27 AM by Wargus » Logged
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 05, 2010, 03:23:02 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 05, 2010, 02:52:21 AM

Free asshole cards with every iPad purchase?  I think the iPad is neat, but it's not in my pricerange yet. I also was not an early adopter for the iPhone, but I'm quite happy with my 3GS.  What gives?

Yup! Don't you know? Here's mine:

biggrin biggrin biggrin

In all seriousness, apologies if I sounded like an asshole (and on reading my post above again, I certainly did), I was just joking.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:25:59 AM by ravenvii » Logged
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 05, 2010, 04:44:15 AM »

The movies seem to look better on the iPad than on my 13" Macbook. When I full screen Netflix on the Macbook, everything looks a little blurry. Full screen on the iPad it was crystal clear. That's probably because the resolution on my Macbook is higher than the resolution on the iPad, but it made looking at Julie & Julia (my test flick) look better on the iPad than the Macbook. Not a game changer, but the Netflix app for the iPad is very cool. It felt kind of magical to summon a movie on that thing when I goofed around with it for 45 minutes today.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 05, 2010, 11:03:18 AM »

Does the Netflix app work over 3G or just WiFi?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 05, 2010, 12:11:47 PM »

On a whim I bought one of these at Best Buy on Sat morning.  I love it for browsing the web around the house.  I doubt it will leave my house though.  I'll stick with the I-Phone for the mobile stuff.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 05, 2010, 12:46:21 PM »

I long for the day when I can drop $500+ "on a whim".  Deno is made of moniez!  slywink

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 05, 2010, 12:48:45 PM »

The difference is that I've never seen the same level of hysteria and gushing over a portable DVD player. I wasn't blindly trying to put the Netflix app on the iPad down, I'm just trying to figure out what all the commotion is about.

I think the iPad is cool, I wanted one at one point, but the more I read impressions to more I feel like people are romanticising over an interface rather than anything else. I feel like I'm trading capability for something that simply looks cool when it does stuff. The best example of this is the Netflix app.

The commotion is that Apple has released a new product. That's really it. They could come out with a toilet paper holder and people would go wild (although it would probably be good).

This thing a new, different and Apple made it. That doubles the hype.

Just doesn't sound like it's for you, and that's cool too.

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 05, 2010, 12:59:28 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 05, 2010, 12:48:45 PM

The commotion is that Apple has released a new product. That's really it. They could come out with a toilet paper holder and people would go wild (although it would probably be good).

This thing a new, different and Apple made it. That doubles the hype.

This right here is why I decided to get back into owning shares of Apple stock. Bought back in December 09 and its made a 12% gain since then. I'm probably not getting back out until Steve Jobs leaves, cause at this point he really could sell iToiletPaper for $200 and make millions.

Its probably a reasonable assumption that as more people show their iJewelry in Starbucks then lots of other people will want to buy it as well.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: