http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 03:42:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Apple iPad  (Read 50104 times)
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 18, 2010, 06:10:48 AM »

Quote from: Vidiot on March 18, 2010, 01:42:34 AM

Quote from: gellar on March 18, 2010, 01:28:30 AM

I've not yet preordered because my Apple buddies cannot yet preorder.  I wants my 25% discount.

I'm still on the fence about the Kindle replacement.  I know it will not be as good, but if it gets to 75% as readable, I will be selling the Kindle as one less thing in my bag is a high priority goal.  Also if Amazon's Kindle App is not ported over, I will have to reconsider that plan since we are a two Kindle household and only having to pay for books once pretty much rules.

I was disappointed.  We get a decent 5-15% discount on all Apple products but nothing on the iPad.  I wonder if it just takes a while for them to update the EPP stores.

Yeah I get the same discount and it's not remotely near as good as I get by making a phone call to a friend and having her order it for me.  I haven't logged into the EPP store in forever, mostly because the 'discount' given there does not outweigh the discount given through a site like Amazon (no tax + free, immediate shipping).

Basically, EPP blows unless it's the company you work for.

DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: March 18, 2010, 02:15:54 PM »

Found this video today that shows how one magazine is doing some interesting video stuff for their iPad version.

Later in the video shows quick clips of what some other publishers content is looking like as well.

http://vimeo.com/10204353
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 18, 2010, 06:21:48 PM »

Quote from: Zero on March 18, 2010, 04:14:22 AM

Quote from: DarkEL on March 18, 2010, 04:07:45 AM

Quote from: Vidiot on March 17, 2010, 11:57:54 PM

Woah now, hold the crazy talk.  There is no way the iPad could replace my kindle.  The last thing I want to do when I go to bed and read is stare at a glowing computer screen. 

Totally agreee -  I don't expect that the iPad will replace my Kindle either.  Although I am looking forward to seeing how books look on the iPad -- especially if they do get some deals for full color magazines subscriptions.

Have you tried Classics?  (http://www.classicsapp.com/)  I pulled that down a few weeks ago for the iPhone, and so far reading on it has actually been good.  I think with the right background color and brightness level - the iPad will do great with book/magazine reading.

I really think a lot of this is subjective and relative; I've read articles which claim there is no medical proof that LCDs cause more strain than eInk, but I've also read the opposite so who knows what to believe.  In the end it comes down to the individual and what is comfortable and what the conditions are.  For me even reading on paper will strain my eyes eventually if I read too long or in poor lighting conditions.  In my office right now the lights are so bright everything is very clear but it's actually almost too much.  I know a friend of mine has a Sony reader which he loves but he spent weeks trying to get the "right" booklight so he can read in bed.  To me needing an extra attachment would be an annoyance. 

So yes, I definitely believe with the right background color, brightness and font size/shape, reading is going to be a decent experience (with some tradeoffs of course) on the iPad.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 20, 2010, 03:42:06 PM »

should you buy now or wait?  the article makes some interesting points for those on the fence.  I think I'm going to wait and see what they do to make the screen better for outside use.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: March 20, 2010, 06:02:19 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 20, 2010, 03:42:06 PM

should you buy now or wait?  the article makes some interesting points for those on the fence.  I think I'm going to wait and see what they do to make the screen better for outside use.

One of the things that I find funny about these types of articles is that they all same thing. Oh yeah buy it now, but it'll probably be cheaper next year. Or they'll come out with an improved version shortly after that.

The irony for me is that we're quoting them on a gaming site forum where the same wisdom would apply to any of the gaming systems (and many of the games) that we all rush out to buy on day 1 as well.

Just saying......    Tongue

Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: March 20, 2010, 06:23:21 PM »

I have kinda given up on assuming technology will last me very long.  When you buy a computer (or a phone) you know there will be a better one in less than a year.  There always is, often in under a year.

Yep, if you wait a year there will be new features, more apps, and less bugs (although in this case I don't expect many issue, it is just a big ipod touch), but the same will be true a year from now.

If you are the type that must have a system be relevant and last for years, go get a dumb phone and a desktop computer.  The dumb phone will be just as useful for making calls three years from now (if you don't break it) and the desktop will give you some cheaper upgrade options and modular repairs to extend the useful life.  High end mobility has a cost.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 20, 2010, 07:24:31 PM »

My actual theory is - buy IMMEDIATELY as something comes out so you have the longest time before it's obsolete smile.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 20, 2010, 08:16:57 PM »

Quote from: gellar on March 20, 2010, 07:24:31 PM

My actual theory is - buy IMMEDIATELY as something comes out so you have the longest time before it's obsolete smile.

Exactly.  I always get mad at myself if I put off buying something and then end up getting it later with nothing to show for it (price break or extra stuff).
KC

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 21, 2010, 08:38:09 PM »

FoxTrot takes on the Ipad!

http://www.foxtrot.com/
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #409 on: March 22, 2010, 05:31:38 AM »

Amazon announces development of a Kindle application for the iPad (and other tablets)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000490441

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 22, 2010, 05:51:28 AM »

Quote from: KC on March 21, 2010, 08:38:09 PM

FoxTrot takes on the Ipad!

http://www.foxtrot.com/

LOL!

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 23, 2010, 05:47:40 PM »

Couple of items:

First, check this out, I just pre-ordered one:

www.airstash.com

I almost cancelled it in favor of Apple's non-wireless version (not available to order as of today), thinking you wouldn't be able to independently use the unit when you were travelling, but apparently it makes its own little network so you can use it on-the-go. This is just way too cool and totally opens things up for me in terms of storage and media. Now I could theoretically throw a few seasons worth of Buffy on a single SDHC card, or the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, or my entire photo library, or tons of pr0n (!!), or a huge chunk of my music library and just hotswap SD cards.  Schweet!

I actually am wondering if it makes more sense to just get the lowest-memory iPad now and only store Apps on it.

Second, looks like Opera may be coming to iPhone/iPad fairly soon, unless Apple blocks it:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/23/opera-submits-browser-app-to-apple-starts-countdown/
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 23, 2010, 06:33:49 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 23, 2010, 05:47:40 PM

I almost cancelled it in favor of Apple's non-wireless version (not available to order as of today), thinking you wouldn't be able to independently use the unit when you were travelling, but apparently it makes its own little network so you can use it on-the-go.

This would be much cooler if the iPhone were able to concurrently use the 3G connection to do, y'know, internet stuff.  As it is, if you connect an iPhone to a wifi network with no outbound internet connectivity (like this device), you won't be receiving any email while you consume your media.  Similarly, if you're hoping to use it at home with your iPad, you'll have to be pretty good about turning it off or else you'll run the risk of associating with it rather than your normal wifi connection.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 24, 2010, 01:54:21 AM »

You got to stop posting rittchard!  I now want to preorder an Airstash - very cool, but my wallet hurts smile

And I hope they approve Opera, I don't think it will replace safari for me, but it would be nice to have an option.

Quote from: rittchard on March 23, 2010, 05:47:40 PM

Couple of items:

First, check this out, I just pre-ordered one:

www.airstash.com

I almost cancelled it in favor of Apple's non-wireless version (not available to order as of today), thinking you wouldn't be able to independently use the unit when you were travelling, but apparently it makes its own little network so you can use it on-the-go. This is just way too cool and totally opens things up for me in terms of storage and media. Now I could theoretically throw a few seasons worth of Buffy on a single SDHC card, or the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, or my entire photo library, or tons of pr0n (!!), or a huge chunk of my music library and just hotswap SD cards.  Schweet!

I actually am wondering if it makes more sense to just get the lowest-memory iPad now and only store Apps on it.

Second, looks like Opera may be coming to iPhone/iPad fairly soon, unless Apple blocks it:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/23/opera-submits-browser-app-to-apple-starts-countdown/

DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: March 28, 2010, 01:30:05 AM »

Checked Order status today and my iPad has moved into "prepared for shipment" status. Woot!!

Next 7 days of waiting are going to be unbearable.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: March 28, 2010, 01:45:56 AM »

An iPad Mixer app for DJ's  http://ipadmixr.com/

And a screenshot of an upcoming iPad pinball game

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 28, 2010, 06:13:10 AM »

Quote from: DarkEL on March 28, 2010, 01:30:05 AM

Checked Order status today and my iPad has moved into "prepared for shipment" status. Woot!!

Damn, anticipating it that badly huh?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: March 28, 2010, 06:49:57 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 28, 2010, 06:13:10 AM

I really am. When I placed my pre-order for it I was on the fence about it's potential.

But more and more, I'm thinking that the iPad really has the strong potential to be a game changer.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 28, 2010, 08:16:17 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on March 28, 2010, 06:49:57 PM

But more and more, I'm thinking that the iPad really has the strong potential to be a game changer.

I'm thinking that too.  However, I want to demo one in the Apple store and get impressions from others before I put my cash down.  You always need to be careful with first generation models.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 28, 2010, 08:46:49 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 28, 2010, 06:13:10 AM

Quote from: DarkEL on March 28, 2010, 01:30:05 AM

I've been counting down the days for about a month now smile  This week is going to be a lot of fun, I'm sure it will be similar to the last iPhone release where people spent half the day tracking all the fedex planes coming from China  icon_lol

This is a bigger deal to me than most, though, I think, because of all the wasted money and failed attempts I've had to get something like this, starting with the original Apple Newton all the way to the Archos 9 Pctablet.  That's roughly 15 years and thousands of dollars of trying different devices and being disappointed time and again.  I really think this is it - not necessarily perfect in gen 1 implementation, but pretty damn close to finally being the "right" device.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: March 29, 2010, 12:16:14 AM »

I'm definitely looking forward to all the impressions.

Because I can,
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 29, 2010, 01:29:11 AM »

I'm a little frightened to go to an Apple store on a release day (they are creepy enough on a normal day, people are just not the friendly).  Hopefully the line won't be the bad, or at least the crowd will be interesting.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 29, 2010, 08:15:52 PM »

Mine is already shipped out!  I hope they will deliver on Saturday in Hawai'i smile

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 29, 2010, 08:36:47 PM »

Mine still hasn't shipped and I ordered within the first hour of pre-ordering frown
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 30, 2010, 01:22:01 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 29, 2010, 08:36:47 PM

Mine still hasn't shipped and I ordered within the first hour of pre-ordering frown

Your obviously not getting one.  ninja

I wouldn't worry about it.  My 3GS even said it wasn't going to be delivered until Monday on the UPS site until 2 hours after it was delivered..on Saturday.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 30, 2010, 01:25:57 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 29, 2010, 08:36:47 PM

aren't you practically down the road from Apple HQ?  I hear Steve Jobs is delivering all the nearby orders topless.

Because I can,
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: March 30, 2010, 01:41:01 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on March 29, 2010, 08:15:52 PM

Mine is already shipped out!  I hope they will deliver on Saturday in Hawai'i smile

Yeah I got the shipment notification today too. probably no chance it will deliver early but one can still hope.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 30, 2010, 01:43:24 AM »

Quote from: DarkEL on March 30, 2010, 01:41:01 AM

Quote from: ROTC1983 on March 29, 2010, 08:15:52 PM

Mine is already shipped out!  I hope they will deliver on Saturday in Hawai'i smile

Yeah I got the shipment notification today too. probably no chance it will deliver early but one can still hope.

I heard rumors that they'll ban you from Apple products for life if you open the box early   Tongue

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 30, 2010, 04:05:45 AM »

BTW mine shipped last night too.    UPS has a special order for them (expedited special delivery) and they will hold them until Saturday.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: March 30, 2010, 04:20:40 AM »

New videos from Apple - Guided tours of several of the applications
http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: March 30, 2010, 05:03:13 PM »

Mine has shipped as well. Can't wait!

Also, just found out today that one of my most-used Mac programs, Final Draft, is coming to the iPad. I'm beginning to think that, between Safari, Mail, Pages, Final Draft, Bento and OmniFocus all being available for the iPad and/or iPhone, I may be able to use the iPad in place of my laptop in most situations. If it's as good as I hope, I may get an iMac instead of another MacBook when it comes time to replace my laptop late next year, and get an upgraded iPad to be my portable machine.

Clearly, my hopes are high for this device!

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 30, 2010, 05:15:54 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on March 30, 2010, 05:03:13 PM

Also, just found out today that one of my most-used Mac programs, Final Draft, is coming to the iPad. I'm beginning to think that, between Safari, Mail, Pages, Final Draft, Bento and OmniFocus all being available for the iPad and/or iPhone, I may be able to use the iPad in place of my laptop in most situations. If it's as good as I hope, I may get an iMac instead of another MacBook when it comes time to replace my laptop late next year, and get an upgraded iPad to be my portable machine.

Question: it does one thing at a time. How could it possibly replace a laptop?

Disclaimer: I am not an Apple Hater. I had an iPhone and liked it. I had an Apple IIe ( icon_razz). I like new stuff (even though I'm an old guy). I just honestly and truthfully don't get this device.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 30, 2010, 05:23:21 PM »

I want a iPad, but I will wait for the 2nd gen like I did with the iPhone.  I actually been following the Dell Streak as well

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: March 30, 2010, 05:36:51 PM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on March 30, 2010, 05:15:54 PM

Quote from: Fireball1244 on March 30, 2010, 05:03:13 PM

Question: it does one thing at a time. How could it possibly replace a laptop?

Well, first, that's not entirely true. It doesn't multitask *Third Party* applications, but Apple software does multitask under iPhone OS. Even if it's not open, Mail continues to fetch mail. iTunes continues to play music. You can open a music stream in Safari and it will continue to play. When you leave other apps, they save their state, and reopen to the saved state, which aside from a slight lag feels like multitasking.

And, second, I don't expect even that set of limitations to be true in a year. Or maybe even in six months. iPhone OS is maturing quickly. Now that it'll be running the iPad as well the argument for more pervasive and visible multitasking has grown. Since it is, at core, Unix, there's obviously all sorts of multitasking potential. I think the main issue facing Apple is similar to cut and paste -- how do you expose that functionality to users, as all apps run full screen, and there's no Dock equivalent to use to switch between running applications? I have ideas, but they don't ask me. I trust that they'll come up with something, too.

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 30, 2010, 05:53:13 PM »

From what I've been hearing the new iPhone and iPhone OS will have multitasking. It will most likely be an expose type deal where you double/triple hit the home button to bring up all of the open apps.

As with the iPad I have doubts. Watching the videos it looks very awkward using the touch keyboard. The iPhone it kind of works since you only have to worry about 1 or two thumbs and you can get used to pecking quickly. I think it is to crunched to use both of your hands properlly to type and I'm sure it will feel awkward and hurt after awhile. Not very ergonomic at all. That's just what I saw from the video you can see it in the Pages video. Might of been better to have the keyboard how UMPCs have it where it splits it to the sides. Although I guess there is to much bezel to really do that.

And going through another thread brought up some interesting points. Will there be user accounts on the iPad? Since it goes into full computer territory different people in a family might want to use it for different things. That and mass storage streaming from iTunes is fun and all, until you want to use different formats then you get hosed. Having to bounce between apps just to do specific things without true multitasking at first will get old fast. Also a file system would be useful since you would want to use the same file in different programs which is difficult with the land of no true file system.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 06:07:11 PM by SkyLander » Logged

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: March 30, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »

That makes a lot more sense now, Fireball. Thanks.

edit to add:

So if I'm sitting on the couch reading a book on this thing, I'd still be able to monitor my gmail and twitter accounts and maybe have an IM program running, too? Or maybe listen to some music in the background while I'm reading?

Confused.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:58:19 PM by LoneStarSpur » Logged

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 30, 2010, 08:45:54 PM »

I think the "issue" of multitasking on a mobile device is actually really interesting and I've thought about it a lot.  Unfortunately I don't have the time at the moment to discuss it in further detail.

So instead I leave you with this cool link to check out a lot of the new iPad Apps.  Utilities-wise, I'm really interested in Bento, OmniSketch and Brushes.  Game-wise, Plants vs Zombies will be a must buy, and I'm interested in Real Racing and Fieldrunners.

http://appshopper.com/ipad
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 30, 2010, 09:25:46 PM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on March 30, 2010, 06:15:00 PM

So if I'm sitting on the couch reading a book on this thing, I'd still be able to monitor my gmail and twitter accounts and maybe have an IM program running, too? Or maybe listen to some music in the background while I'm reading?

Confused.

Basically, yes. Mail runs in the background, and iPod (the app) runs in the background, so Gmail updates and music will be there. As for IM apps, it won't be running, but push notifications makes so that there's basically no difference. Same with twitter.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 30, 2010, 09:32:18 PM »

Consumerist.com has an interesting article about the * possible mark-up for iPad apps.

* They're using prices seen in the walkthrough videos, so they could obviously change or be there purely for mock-up purposes.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 30, 2010, 11:32:24 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on March 30, 2010, 09:32:18 PM

Consumerist.com has an interesting article about the * possible mark-up for iPad apps.

* They're using prices seen in the walkthrough videos, so they could obviously change or be there purely for mock-up purposes.

To quote the article:
"Here are some of the apps on display in the video, compared to the current prices for their smaller iPhone siblings."
Fail.

To start with they need to redo that table to compare to the release prices of the app, not the current price.  App prices seem to change daily.

I expect ipad apps will cost a bit more, but I don't think we will have good data for at least a few weeks after release, maybe months.  I remember paying $10 for a 3d racing game on the AppStore release day.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: