http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 07:18:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Apple iPad  (Read 50687 times)
Chaz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 15, 2010, 12:05:22 PM »

I think Skylander's point about Android gaining share is that as an OS, it's installed on many different handset models, so consumers get more choices.  For example, I want a phone that has a hardware keyboard that slides out.  I can't get that on the iphone, but I can find an android phone with it.  If I don't want one, there's an android phone like that too.  As android starts being installed on more phones, suddenly the userbase for android apps becomes more attractive.

The other X factor is the Win7 Mobile OS.  I'm extremely interested in seeing what happens with that, especially since MS implementing hardware requirements for the phones it goes on should normalize the features that app developers have to work with.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 15, 2010, 02:09:21 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 15, 2010, 06:35:48 AM

I keep seeing reports of how the iPhone is "stagnating" - yet I can also read reports on Apple's last quarterly report which says they've doubled iPhone sales in a year to year comparison.

SkyLander's link is about the iPhone's plateau in US market share.  Your link refers to worldwide sales, and mentions specifically that those sales were boosted by the introduction of the phone in China.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 15, 2010, 04:34:03 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 15, 2010, 12:05:22 PM

I think Skylander's point about Android gaining share is that as an OS, it's installed on many different handset models, so consumers get more choices.  For example, I want a phone that has a hardware keyboard that slides out.  I can't get that on the iphone, but I can find an android phone with it.  If I don't want one, there's an android phone like that too.  As android starts being installed on more phones, suddenly the userbase for android apps becomes more attractive.

The other X factor is the Win7 Mobile OS.  I'm extremely interested in seeing what happens with that, especially since MS implementing hardware requirements for the phones it goes on should normalize the features that app developers have to work with.

And I think we have Google's marketing slogan.

"There is a phone for that."
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 15, 2010, 04:52:57 PM »

Quote from: Vidiot on March 15, 2010, 04:34:03 PM

Quote from: Chaz on March 15, 2010, 12:05:22 PM

I think Skylander's point about Android gaining share is that as an OS, it's installed on many different handset models, so consumers get more choices.  For example, I want a phone that has a hardware keyboard that slides out.  I can't get that on the iphone, but I can find an android phone with it.  If I don't want one, there's an android phone like that too.  As android starts being installed on more phones, suddenly the userbase for android apps becomes more attractive.

The other X factor is the Win7 Mobile OS.  I'm extremely interested in seeing what happens with that, especially since MS implementing hardware requirements for the phones it goes on should normalize the features that app developers have to work with.

And I think we have Google's marketing slogan.

"There is a phone for that."

I see a lot of comparisons with Apple and Microsoft again. In some areas the iPhone OS is very good, but it will just be drowned out by the shear number of Android handsets coming out. So when it comes time for someone to pick a phone it'll be down to "The iPhone is 200 dollars, it's pretty cool and shiney." Then they look at an android handset "It's a little rough but it's only a 100 dollars and it does the same things the iPhone does." So they will go with what is cheaper most likely. I know prices change but I'm just kind of generalizing.

I'm also sure a lot of everything that is said here will apply to the iPad. Mostly I think it has to do with ego. Apple thinks they know what you need better than you do. Whereas ultimately people are going to go to where they have more freedom. I might be kind of off based with that comment but I'm not sure how to word it better. You have HPs Slate coming out, it has a full version of Windows 7 on it. You have Android tablets that are going to roll out along with other propietary tablets. That and you have Chome OS from Google which I wouldn't be surprise to have it be adapted to a tablet platform. I feel limiting the IPad to the iPhone OS isn't the best idea, if they threw the full version of OSX onto it, just give it the iPhone skin I think ultimately that would of been the better idea.

I guess the main question is that in the end would people want a tablet that leans more towards a laptop, or more towards an mp3/movie player?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:02:57 PM by SkyLander » Logged

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: March 15, 2010, 05:26:40 PM »

The entry-level iPhone is $99, not $199.

Android is going down the same path as Windows Mobile did. And its already developing the same problems. Apps that work on some phones, but not others. Ugly, inconsistent user interfaces. Handset makers layering their own interfaces on top of the phones, so that different Android phones don't work the same as other Android phones, creating even more software incompatibilities.

Also, Android is lousy, as I mentioned before, for many of the things that consumer smart phones need to be good at. Most noticeably, its built in media player is fugly and feature poor, particularly when compared to the iPhone's iPod application. There's also no media or marketing muscle being put behind Android.

The only true advantage Android has is that it's an OS available on all carriers. When Apple drops carrier exclusivity, in whatever form that takes, expect the iPhone to become the best-selling phone on whatever new carriers get to sell it.

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: March 15, 2010, 05:28:13 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on March 15, 2010, 04:52:57 PM

I feel limiting the IPad to the iPhone OS isn't the best idea, if they threw the full version of OSX onto it, just give it the iPhone skin I think ultimately that would of been the better idea.

You clearly don't understand the relationship between OS X and iPhone OS. Beneath the UI, they are the same OS. They share the same core APIs, the same software frameworks, run the same kernel, etc. Mac OS X with the iPhone UI is the iPhone OS.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: March 15, 2010, 05:41:04 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on March 15, 2010, 05:28:13 PM

I feel limiting the IPad to the iPhone OS isn't the best idea, if they threw the full version of OSX onto it, just give it the iPhone skin I think ultimately that would of been the better idea.

You clearly don't understand the relationship between OS X and iPhone OS. Beneath the UI, they are the same OS. They share the same core APIs, the same software frameworks, run the same kernel, etc. Mac OS X with the iPhone UI is the iPhone OS.

The iPhone UI is the problem.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 15, 2010, 05:42:11 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on March 15, 2010, 05:26:40 PM

The entry-level iPhone is $99, not $199.

I know prices change but I'm just kind of generalizing.

I know the prices are different.

And I do clearly realise that at the core the iPhone OS is the same kernel as OSX. It still doesn't change that a shitload of stuff is stripped out. You can't run the same stuff you can on a macbook pro on an iPhone. Just like you can't run an iPhone app on your macbook unless you have the simulator.

I do have an iPhone you know, as well as developed apps for it. I'm not as dumb as you seem to think I am.

I'm not disagreeing that Android has issues. The iPhone has issues also. I just think there are more issues with the iPhone than you think there is. I'm glad you enjoy the iPhone a lot more, I just think Android will do better in the long run. I could be wrong also, I'm sure Windows Phone 7 will do just as good, or Palm might grow a brain and pair up with a carrier that isn't dieing. I guess in general I don't think the iPhone is perfect. I also don't think the iPad is perfect either. A regular USB port would be nice.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 15, 2010, 06:08:43 PM »

Apple thinks they know what you need better than you do. Whereas ultimately people are going to go to where they have more freedom. I might be kind of off based with that comment but I'm not sure how to word it better. You have HPs Slate coming out, it has a full version of Windows 7 on it. You have Android tablets that are going to roll out along with other propietary tablets. That and you have Chome OS from Google which I wouldn't be surprise to have it be adapted to a tablet platform. I feel limiting the IPad to the iPhone OS isn't the best idea, if they threw the full version of OSX onto it, just give it the iPhone skin I think ultimately that would of been the better idea.

I guess the main question is that in the end would people want a tablet that leans more towards a laptop, or more towards an mp3/movie player?

I think this is the heart of the issue.  I personally don't think people would have been willing to pay for a laptop type tablet - unless they could have kept everything else the same: battery power, size/shape/weight, and price.  You can get a Modbook right now that is a OS X Tablet, and clearly these things are not a hot ticket item.  Ultimately what you are describing I believe would have been a decent niche device probably priced in the $1500 range.  Clearly the iPad is going after a much larger target audience.

Regarding your first point that ultimately people will go to where they have "freedom," I think is very debatable.  I also think the statement that "Apple thinks they know what you need better than you do" is also debatable.  Based for example on the iPod, I think people (of course it might depend on how you define "people" lol) will ultimately lean toward the best end-user experience, even if it comes at a higher price point.  I'm often surprised to see just how many people still stick with iPods given all the choices out there these days.  I don't think this comes as a result of Apple thinking they know what you "need" as much as they are trying to give people what they hope they want, and again, that's an enjoyable end-user experience.  This is where many other competitors have failed time and again, they don't do the research, they don't do the user testing to make sure it just "feels" right.  Unfortunately this gets into a lot of touchy/feely arguments, and that's probably why a lot of the more hardcore geeks/enthusiasts get annoyed by Apple.

As for the tablet format, yes there are going to be a lot of choices - actually that freedom of choice alone may be the downfall for a lot of the competitors who will fall to the wayside.  The problem for ALL of these guys is they don't have a lynchpin to hold the entire experience together.  What some might call the loss of freedom, others will see as the glue that holds it together - and that's the iTunes/AppStore experience and App development.  Combined with a slick piece of hardware, the creativity of the developer population in creating awesome Apps for iPhone OS has just been unbelievable.  Even after 2 years I am surprised on a regular basis just how powerful the iPhone can be (I can play a decent version of Street Fighter IV on my frickin phone?  Are you kidding me?).  HP Slate may have all the Windows software in the world available to it, but just how many of these programs were specific dedicated designs to a touch interface platform?  Again that's where I see it boiling down to end-user experience.  Having the freedom to run a boatload of programs in Windows 7 on my tablet is ultimately worthless if the experience is clunky or annoying (see my Archos Pctablet review).  Maybe HP will rectify this with some software improvements, but it's doubtful they can create an entire community of development centered around the Slate. 
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 15, 2010, 07:53:51 PM »

While the volume of phones coming out with Android might end up giving it an advantage, the varying quality of the phones might end up hurting the overall image.   I have net to play with the last round of Android phones much, but the early examples all felt very much like linux.  The UI was functional but nothing was consistent.

Also, how well does the touch interaction work with the latest round of them?  So far I have yet to see any touch device that felt as right as the iPhone/iPod Touch.  The combination of good ui design, good animation and consistent methods of touch input really make the product.

I do like the openess of some of the competing platforms (and java use is easier to develop in for a windows programmer than Objective-C), but so far where has this been an advantage for the consumer?  What can you currently do on an Android phone that you can't do on an iPhone?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 15, 2010, 08:00:27 PM »

Need a new battery?  It's $100 ... and we'll just send you a new iPad instead.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 15, 2010, 08:57:31 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 15, 2010, 08:00:27 PM

Need a new battery?  It's $100 ... and we'll just send you a new iPad instead.

I thought that was pretty interesting myself.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 15, 2010, 10:28:39 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on March 14, 2010, 09:29:44 PM

Every single thing I want to do on my phone is worse on the Droid than on the iPhone.

Browse the web? Mobile Safari is a better browser than "Browser," and the more mainstream fonts included on the iPhone make pages look more like they would from a desktop computer.

I would have to disagree with this. The larger screen and higher resolution makes me greatly prefer surfing the net on the Droid vs my iPod touch now. It's simply much easier for me to read text and I don't have to zoom in as much.

Watch videos? The YouTube player for Android is crap, and doesn't make proper use of the Droid's screen resolution.

I believe this to be false. Have you gone into the YouTube app's settings and set everything for high quality? I have, and when I watch videos they fill my Droid's screen completely. (I looked at a video today to confirm this.)

Listen to music? Transferring music to the iPhone is a snap, and the iPod media player is great. The media player on Android is ugly and not as functional, and transferring music takes for fucking ever.

I could make the argument that it's easier to transfer music to the Droid. You simply mount the SD card when plugged in (via a simple notification of the phone) and then copy files just like it's a flash drive. I don't think it's slow at all. Plus, I don't have to use iTunes to do this. If you prefer to use iTunes, you can There are numerous applications out there to allow this (doubletwist, etc.). As for the music player on the Droid, it certainly pales beside that of the iPod Touch/iPhone. On my to-do list is to try some of the music player apps on the Android market, as I have heard there are many that put the stock music player to shame.

Email? While the Gmail client on the Droid is excellent, the client for other email addresses is separate, and sub-par. On the balance, the email experience is better and more consistent on the iPhone.

(shrugs). I use the gmail app for personal email and the other email for work email and they both work fine for me. I've never used email on my iPod Touch so I have no basis of comparison. It seems to be a universal opinion that Blackberries handle email better than any other cell phone.

Twitter? Seesmic, the best twitter app I can find on Android, would be a third-tier app on the iPhone. It doesn't hold a candle to Tweetie or Twitteriffic.

I don't use Twitter at all, but I have generally heard the same about Android's varying Twitter clients.

Play games? No competition there. The games on Android are crap.

I have doubts that Android's games will ever fully catch up with Apple's app store, but it's still very early in the life of Android. I am sure a year from now there will be many more games. This is not a big factor for me, as being limited to a touch screen/tilt interface makes gaming on either phone unappealing to me.

Use Facebook? The Facebook for iPhone app is top notch. The Facebook app for Android is a fucking joke. You can't even do messaging!

The stock Facebook app on Android is fairly useless. I just use the web browser for this, and it works fine.

Android looks and feels like it's running Linux. The interfaces from app to app and the general look of the UIs from app to app are not consistent. The quality of software available for the iPhone is heads and shoulders higher than the software available for Android, and there's always more choices on the iPhone as well.

I believe Android IS Linux, isn't it? You are correct about the differing interfaces, but that could easily be turned around to be a strength. Not everyone covets the standard Apple UI's. Plus, I'll take the awesome customizability of Android phones + the ease and convenience of Widgets for your home screen over the boring iPhone home screens any day.

If I'd never used an iPhone, I'm sure I'd be very happy with a Droid. But since I know how much better the situation is on the iPhone, and since I had to switch because of necessity, not because I made a choice, I find the Droid only barely usable. The second an iPhone is available for Verizon, I will buy it, even if I have to pay $500.

I basically own a Droid because I couldn't get an iPhone on Verizon and I wasn't willing to wait any longer to own a smart phone. (I can't get a reliable AT&T signal at my house.) There are still a ton of things that I think the iPhone does better than the Droid, but there are some improvements on the Droid (chiefly the superior screen and (albeit sub-par) physical keyboard) that will probably keep me from owning an iPhone until Apple adds those features.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 15, 2010, 10:50:54 PM »

I believe Android IS Linux, isn't it? You are correct about the differing interfaces, but that could easily be turned around to be a strength. Not everyone covets the standard Apple UI's. Plus, I'll take the awesome customizability of Android phones + the ease and convenience of Widgets for your home screen over the boring iPhone home screens any day.

I mostly disagree with your other points, but they all are subjective anyway, so there should be differing opinions.

But I just wanted to say that I agree with you on this point - the iPhone OS, in my opinion, is superior to the Android OS, but the UI is definitely getting very stale after almost 3 years. I was disappointed when there was no "secret" dashboard feature for the iPad - that would make the iPhone much cooler and more useful I think, along with a customizable lock screen.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: March 16, 2010, 02:18:13 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on March 15, 2010, 05:42:11 PM

I'm not as dumb as you seem to think I am.

I don't think you're dumb. Far from it. I think you're a geek, and want a phone that works in a way that would make a geek happy. The problem is that the general public *hates* things that work the ways that make geeks happy. The average computer user doesn't understand, and doesn't want to understand, many of the things that computers force you to interact with every day, such as filesystems. Folks who just save everything to ~/Documents or the Desktop will find that the iPad iWork apps show you a list of your saved files when you open the app is a feature they like. They won't feel constrained by the lack of a filebrowser, they'll be relieved to not have to browse files. Geeks will have the exact opposite reaction.

The "I prefer to load music manually" thing that geeks often bemoan about Apple products is actually quite illustrative. Average people don't want to load music manually. They don't know where their music files are. Many aren't even clear that their music has been encoded into files -- they just know that their songs are listed in the iTunes window. What geeks see as a limitation -- the way iPods and iPhones and now iPads load media -- is in fact one of the very reasons that led the mass market to prefer the iPod to its geekier, more "free" and "flexible" competitors.

When working with Android, it's geeky, Linux origins are apparent. The general public doesn't know what a task manager is, and does not want to have to deal with one. The general public will prefer the highly polished, highly user-focused experience of the iPhone over the geektastic experience (in my experience, the living hell) of Android. The only advantage Android has will be that, as of right now, you can buy an Android phone on Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile, but not an iPhone. If Apple opens up the carrier options on the iPhone, their phone will become the best selling device on those networks almost immediately, just as the iPhone is the dominant product on the AT&T network.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: March 16, 2010, 02:32:05 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 15, 2010, 08:00:27 PM

Need a new battery?  It's $100 ... and we'll just send you a refurbished iPad instead.
Fixed.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 16, 2010, 02:37:15 PM »

There's also the lazy geeks, such as myself. I understand the file structure of iTunes and I understand the limitations of DRM and multiple devices and all that, but I don't care, because I like how easy it is to use all my Apple stuff together. My phone, computer, all the iLife apps, etc.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 16, 2010, 03:29:47 PM »

Quote from: Devil on March 15, 2010, 02:27:52 AM

But, but...but...you aren't FORCED TO DO THINGS APPLE'S WAY!!!!

Why don't you take a shot at Nintendo while your at it!!

slywink

LOL, yeah, I don't get dealing with an inferior experience just to rebel against big brother Apple forcing things on you.  I'll live with the regulation in order to get a kick ass phone.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 16, 2010, 04:25:20 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 16, 2010, 03:29:47 PM

slywink

LOL, yeah, I don't get dealing with an inferior experience just to rebel against big brother Apple forcing things on you.  I'll live with the regulation in order to get a kick ass phone.

They took my boobie apps, and I said nothing.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 16, 2010, 05:58:05 PM »

Keyboard dock and USB power adapter have been pushed back to May, so you'll have at least a month of using the onscreen keyboard.

Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 16, 2010, 07:27:52 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 16, 2010, 05:58:05 PM

Keyboard dock and USB power adapter have been pushed back to May, so you'll have at least a month of using the onscreen keyboard.

I think it also supports bluetooth keyboards.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 16, 2010, 07:56:03 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on March 16, 2010, 04:25:20 PM

Quote from: The Grue on March 16, 2010, 03:29:47 PM

slywink

They took my boobie apps, and I said nothing.

HA!!!!  icon_biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 16, 2010, 09:26:39 PM »

Quote from: Vidiot on March 16, 2010, 07:27:52 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 16, 2010, 05:58:05 PM

I think it also supports bluetooth keyboards.

Yeah it does.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 16, 2010, 09:29:05 PM »

Any ubergeek should go with this one.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 16, 2010, 10:26:36 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 16, 2010, 09:29:05 PM

With that, you might as well just type on the screen slywink
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 16, 2010, 11:38:07 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on March 16, 2010, 10:26:36 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 16, 2010, 09:29:05 PM

With that, you might as well just type on the screen slywink

How on earth are you going to feel like the villain from Tron by poking at your ipad screen.  No, the least you can do to try and make it cool is get the laser keyboard.

Zero

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 17, 2010, 05:05:38 PM »

So who here pre-ordered?  In looking at the past two pages, I don't think anyone here admitted to pre-ordering!

Well - I did pre-order, so here's to April 3rd that can't come soon enough smile  I've also sold my kindle last week, and so I'm committed, ha!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 17, 2010, 05:37:26 PM »

IN! Cheap one.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 17, 2010, 06:23:12 PM »

Quote from: Zero on March 17, 2010, 05:05:38 PM

So who here pre-ordered?  In looking at the past two pages, I don't think anyone here admitted to pre-ordering!

Well - I did pre-order, so here's to April 3rd that can't come soon enough smile  I've also sold my kindle last week, and so I'm committed, ha!

I pre-ordered AND reserved for store pickup to hedge my bets and make sure I have it on day one.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 17, 2010, 06:42:53 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 17, 2010, 06:23:12 PM

I pre-ordered AND reserved for store pickup to hedge my bets and make sure I have it on day one.

Pre-ordered. I'm a sucker for shiny new toys.

Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: March 17, 2010, 11:57:54 PM »

Woah now, hold the crazy talk.  There is no way the iPad could replace my kindle.  The last thing I want to do when I go to bed and read is stare at a glowing computer screen. 

As for preordering, I want to see one in real life before I make a call.  I don't think I really need it, but that has never stopped me from being buying a gadget in the past.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 18, 2010, 12:06:19 AM »

Quote from: Vidiot on March 17, 2010, 11:57:54 PM

Woah now, hold the crazy talk.  There is no way the iPad could replace my kindle.  The last thing I want to do when I go to bed and read is stare at a glowing computer screen. 

As for preordering, I want to see one in real life before I make a call.  I don't think I really need it, but that has never stopped me from being buying a gadget in the past.

You should definitely check it out - though I have no proof of this, I am thinking that with the brightness turned down and the proper choice of page color (if possible) and font size/color, reading on the iPad might be better than eInkers imagine.  From what I know about eInk, you still need some sort of external light source shining to be able to see it, so is a dimly lit LCD that much worse than a booklight or lamp?  Sorry if this offends anyone, I know people here are very dedicated to their Kindles.  This is just idle conjecture on my part.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 18, 2010, 12:51:03 AM »

eInk is totally different then reading on an LCD with brightness turned down or off it still causes that strain on the eyes. Why I don't think with these tablets eInk is thrown out or anything.

Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 18, 2010, 01:13:36 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on March 18, 2010, 12:51:03 AM

eInk is totally different then reading on an LCD with brightness turned down or off it still causes that strain on the eyes. Why I don't think with these tablets eInk is thrown out or anything.

Yep, if you want to see what eInk looks like grab a piece of paper.  When I first saw a Sony eReader in person I thought it was a a cheesy demo unit with a paper instead of a screen, and then I pushed a button and it changed.

I am sure it will be somewhat readable, but I have never seen an LCD that reads as well as paper in any lighting condition.

If I get an iPad it will be for couch web surfing, some games, etc.  Not for reading books for any kind of extended period.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 18, 2010, 01:28:30 AM »

I've not yet preordered because my Apple buddies cannot yet preorder.  I wants my 25% discount.

I'm still on the fence about the Kindle replacement.  I know it will not be as good, but if it gets to 75% as readable, I will be selling the Kindle as one less thing in my bag is a high priority goal.  Also if Amazon's Kindle App is not ported over, I will have to reconsider that plan since we are a two Kindle household and only having to pay for books once pretty much rules.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 18, 2010, 01:42:34 AM »

Quote from: gellar on March 18, 2010, 01:28:30 AM

I've not yet preordered because my Apple buddies cannot yet preorder.  I wants my 25% discount.

I'm still on the fence about the Kindle replacement.  I know it will not be as good, but if it gets to 75% as readable, I will be selling the Kindle as one less thing in my bag is a high priority goal.  Also if Amazon's Kindle App is not ported over, I will have to reconsider that plan since we are a two Kindle household and only having to pay for books once pretty much rules.

I was disappointed.  We get a decent 5-15% discount on all Apple products but nothing on the iPad.  I wonder if it just takes a while for them to update the EPP stores.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: March 18, 2010, 04:01:17 AM »

I pre-ordered the 64gig WiFi model. Counting the days until it arrives
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: March 18, 2010, 04:07:45 AM »

Totally agreee -  I don't expect that the iPad will replace my Kindle either.  Although I am looking forward to seeing how books look on the iPad -- especially if they do get some deals for full color magazines subscriptions.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 18, 2010, 04:11:14 AM »

Quote from: gellar on March 18, 2010, 01:28:30 AM

25%!!!  DAMN - that would have saved some $$.  I pre-ordered two of them.  Wish we could get in your deal!  

As for the discussion on the Kindle - yes it was great.  I loved reading on it, but at the end of the day two things bothered me on the Kindle:

1)  Lack of light - yeah, heard all the argument on it, but in my experience it sucks to have a book light with me.  Reading by book light was not a great experience.  It was also bad a couple of times getting on a flight and having the light above be dead - couldn't read then.  So I pulled out my iphone and was reading on it - and playing games. So eInk is nice - when your in a nice bright room or have a good light source.

2)  Navigation - The navigation on the Kindle is bad.  Kludgy to select items, and not great for note taking on books.  I think the iPad will do better in this area for me.

So with that - yeah SOLD my Kindle smile  I do expect the iPad to replace my main reading device.

Zero

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 18, 2010, 04:14:22 AM »

Quote from: DarkEL on March 18, 2010, 04:07:45 AM

Totally agreee -  I don't expect that the iPad will replace my Kindle either.  Although I am looking forward to seeing how books look on the iPad -- especially if they do get some deals for full color magazines subscriptions.

Have you tried Classics?  (http://www.classicsapp.com/)  I pulled that down a few weeks ago for the iPhone, and so far reading on it has actually been good.  I think with the right background color and brightness level - the iPad will do great with book/magazine reading.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: