http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 07:00:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Apple iPad  (Read 50755 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2010, 05:18:49 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on January 26, 2010, 05:13:04 PM

A big Apple nut I work with claims that the tablet is going to be $500. I told him he was out of his mind.

Agreed.  Why wouldn't it be super overpriced like everything else?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2010, 06:48:57 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 26, 2010, 05:18:49 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on January 26, 2010, 05:13:04 PM

A big Apple nut I work with claims that the tablet is going to be $500. I told him he was out of his mind.

Agreed.  Why wouldn't it be super overpriced like everything else?

if it's only 500 bucks I'd probably buy it tomorrow  icon_biggrin  I just got my tax refund so I got cash to burn.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2010, 09:21:18 PM »

I'm betting in the $600-$800 range.  I don't think they'll go over regular mac pricing with it.  Could definitely see myself being wrong though.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2010, 09:35:43 PM »

Quote from: kathode on January 26, 2010, 09:21:18 PM

I'm betting in the $600-$800 range.  I don't think they'll go over regular mac pricing with it.  Could definitely see myself being wrong though.

I'm guessing $899-999 for the base model(s) perhaps with different amount of memory, then maybe some incredibly annoying Verizon subsidy ($40/month unlimited data) that takes $200-300 off, which would get you pretty close to the Apple nut guy's rumor.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2010, 09:36:04 PM »

I forget who suggested it here earlier as a lark, but I think the Apple Jesus-on-a-StickTM would be an ideal name for the new tablet. I mean, don't just over-hype -- Think Big!!!! Think cosmic!! icon_smile

I think it would be great if it turned out to be a glorified Paint program, and nothing else. Think of the massive techno whiz deflation that would occur.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2010, 10:09:28 PM »

The leaks keep on coming:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/26/mcgraw-hill-ceo-confirms-apple-tablet-iphone-os-based-going-to-be-terrific/

In an interview with CNBC, McGraw-Hill's CEO confirms that their textbooks will be on the Apple Tablet and it will be an iPhone OS based machine. When asked about rumors that their textbooks will be on the Apple tablet, Terry MrGraw responds (2m 50s):

"Yeah, Very exciting. Yes, they'll make their announcement tomorrow on this one. We have worked with Apple for quite a while. And the Tablet is going to be based on the iPhone operating system and so it will be transferable. So what you are going to be able to do now is we have a consortium of e-books. And we have 95% of all our materials that are in e-book format. So now with the tablet you're going to open up the higher education market, the professional market. The tablet is going to be just really terrific."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2010, 10:19:33 PM »

Two things that I'm not liking:

1) iPhone OS
2) Tied to a carrier
I have an iPhone that's tied to a carrier. I don't need a big one with another monthly bill.

If both are true, I want to see what magic Jobsie pulls to get me IN...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2010, 10:24:55 PM »

Just Google Voice through the tablet's browser and you can lose the iPhone.

Owners of the iPhone and Palm's WebOS devices can now get in on the mobile Google Voice experience with the Web app, which will run in the browsers of iPhones with the 3.0 software installed and all Palm WebOS devices, said Vincent Paquet, senior product manager at Google.

The application should be available for current users of Google Voice, which is still an invitation-only service, as of Tuesday at m.google.com/voice.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2010, 01:43:56 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 26, 2010, 10:24:55 PM

Owners of the iPhone and Palm's WebOS devices can now get in on the mobile Google Voice experience with the Web app, which will run in the browsers of iPhones with the 3.0 software installed and all Palm WebOS devices, said Vincent Paquet, senior product manager at Google.

The application should be available for current users of Google Voice, which is still an invitation-only service, as of Tuesday at m.google.com/voice.

I can/am using Google Voice with my iPhone. Are you suggesting dumping it ang carrying around the tablet instead? eek

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2010, 02:30:54 AM »

Quote from: Devil on January 27, 2010, 01:43:56 AM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 26, 2010, 10:24:55 PM

I can/am using Google Voice with my iPhone. Are you suggesting dumping it ang carrying around the tablet instead? eek

it probably would fit in your purse quite nicely  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2010, 02:40:02 AM »

Silly! The Tablet goes down your pants!  smirk

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2010, 04:49:46 AM »

Hmm, maybe Verizon will give free iSlates to the 13,000 employees they're planning to lay off?  paranoid
http://www.pvponline.com/2010/01/26/malignant-rumor/

PVP comic took a little amusing dig at the Apple Tablet Hysteria...
http://www.pvponline.com/2010/01/26/malignant-rumor/

My take is $500 is more than likely the price they want to get it to, for mass acceptance. The iPhone launched at what seems like ludicrous $599 and $499 prices in 2007. So most pundits think sure, the Tablet Thingie will probably launch at an inflated price ($799 or something) and then gradually get whittled down substantially to something more acceptable.

I thought one rumor that they wanted it to feature a facial recognition system for security/login, but that it was proving too troublesome to perfect, was interesting. Me I'm expecting it to have a holographic keyboard projector built in. Then at Panera I can type on thin air and really make everyone around me insane with jealousy or puzzlement -- "What the HELL is he doing?".  icon_razz
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 04:51:32 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2010, 07:16:04 AM »

Seeing a lot of $1000 price tag rumors. I don't get this. For that money, wouldn't a Macbook, with a full OS be a much better choice?

and...

My purse is plenty big enough!!!

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2010, 10:49:44 AM »

Quote from: Devil on January 27, 2010, 07:16:04 AM

Seeing a lot of $1000 price tag rumors. I don't get this. For that money, wouldn't a Macbook, with a full OS be a much better choice?

and...

On what planet can you get a Macbook for $1000? smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2010, 01:42:27 PM »

Endgadget had this breathless report in the wee hours on "could be the real thing/could be fake" photos/info they just got (of The Tablet bolted to a table):
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/is-this-the-apple-tablet/
The one thing maybe in favor of its authenticity is that it does have the "one button" that most suggest it'll have. Previous speculative mockups largely didn't have a button at all. fwiw, the pundits don't think it's out to replace a typical laptop. To some extent it's going to have to create its own market, cause there are already scores of tablets and none seem to really be capturing the public's imagination to this point.

-----------------------------
Gizmodo pointed out this amusing video as a refresher course...

How To Launch an Apple Product in 5 Easy Steps, Redux
http://gizmodo.com/5457832/how-to-launch-an-apple-product-in-5-easy-steps-redux
I start laughing the moment the Apple Cube and "circle mouse" come up...  icon_lol
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 02:21:29 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2010, 02:33:45 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on January 27, 2010, 10:49:44 AM

and...

It's tough to find, but I dug threw about 98% of the internet to find a MacBook for $1000.

Not sure if the site is legit, so you might want to check it out before you buy one here:

www.apple.com

icon_wink

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2010, 02:42:52 PM »

Fair enough-I guess I was thinking of the Pro or Air editions.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2010, 04:46:12 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on January 27, 2010, 10:49:44 AM

and...

Earth, the regular Macbook is 999.

Edit: OOps Devil beat me to it.  To be fair, the lowest 13" Pro is basically the same as the baseline Macbook right now.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2010, 05:24:36 PM »

Some coverage pointed out the trick is the gizmo probably needs to "carve its own niche" (a phrase I constantly used as a business reporter, and a copy editor friend used to roll her eyes  Roll Eyes whenever she read it) rather than poach from iPhone, iPod Touch, MacBook Pro, whatever users. It's probably going to be so much more expensive than Kindle, Nook et al that it probably wouldn't succeed solely as a pricey ebook reader.

Heck, maybe they'll find a way to build a holster for in it in future Apple laptops.

This is above and beyond the tablet's ability to give you a tan, grill paninis, serve as a butt warmer, an electric razor and UV light...  icon_razz

fwiw, Apple Insider's going to try to do a Live Blog from the show. I've found the site for it problematic to load sometimes, but here 'tis:
http://live.appleinsider.com/

And again, here's Endgadget's...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/live-from-the-apple-tablet-latest-creation-event/

"Magical and revolutionary," gee, glad Steve isn't setting the bar too high!  icon_razz

Hey, right after bashing netbooks, he whipped out ... the iPad
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 06:11:49 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2010, 06:06:52 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 27, 2010, 05:24:36 PM

Some coverage pointed out the trick is the gizmo probably needs to "carve its own niche" (a phrase I constantly used as a business reporter, and a copy editor friend used to roll her eyes  Roll Eyes whenever she read it) rather than poach from iPhone, iPod Touch, MacBook Pro, whatever users. It's probably going to be so much more expensive than Kindle, Nook et al that it probably wouldn't succeed solely as a pricey ebook reader.

Heck, maybe they'll find a way to build a holster for in it in future Apple laptops.

This is above and beyond the tablet's ability to give you a tan, grill paninis, serve as a butt warmer, an electric razor and UV light...  icon_razz

fwiw, Apple Insider's going to try to do a Live Blog from the show. I've found the site for it problematic to load sometimes, but here 'tis:
http://live.appleinsider.com/

And again, here's Endgadget's...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/live-from-the-apple-tablet-latest-creation-event/

"Magical and revolutionary," gee, glad Steve isn't setting the bar too high!  icon_razz

Endgagdet's page is working nicely but the other one times out for me.

Nothing other than self-congratulation so far.   Roll Eyes
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2010, 06:11:48 PM »

iPad it is!

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2010, 06:12:33 PM »

Here's another pic
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2010, 06:22:24 PM »

No flash support. 

Really? 
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2010, 06:25:21 PM »

I can't believe they really went with the "iPad" name because all I can think of is that post someone made here earlier with the tampon or whatever that was lol.

The device looks a little too large to me, kind of surprising how big the borders around the screen are.  Just a very initial impression though.

I'm not too surprised about the Flash - if this is using iPhone OS, though of course it would be disappointing if there's no long range plan to get it in.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2010, 06:25:46 PM »

Looks slick, but how are they gonna market this thing.  It's a big iphone without the phone.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2010, 06:29:47 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 27, 2010, 06:25:46 PM

Looks slick, but how are they gonna market this thing.  It's a big iphone without the phone.

Uhhh hasn't that been covered a bunch of times already?  It's the space between the iPhone and a full laptop/desktop, eventually replacing newspapers, magazines, books, of course also much nicer for mobile watching videos/TV shows/movies on-the-go - and likely becoming your primary home web browser and email client.  I could go on and on but I won't because I know how people hate when I keep revealing I am an Apple fanboy icon_wink
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2010, 06:31:42 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 27, 2010, 06:29:47 PM

Looks slick, but how are they gonna market this thing.  It's a big iphone without the phone.

Uhhh hasn't that been covered a bunch of times already?  It's the space between the iPhone and a full laptop/desktop, eventually replacing newspapers, magazines, books - and likely becoming your primary home web browser and email client.  I could go on and on but I won't because I know how people hate when I keep revealing I am an Apple fanboy icon_wink

Yes that's Apple's line, but I'm not getting the draw here.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2010, 06:40:52 PM »

Gameloft is demonstrating some sort of new sci-fi shooter called Nova on the iPad now. They apparently invited a few game developers a couple weeks ago to work up some games specific to the platform.

In the end, I figured it had to have a "P" in the title, right?  icon_razz

I'm copying and pasting most of the text from Endgadget's blog to maybe share here later (in spoiler tags) in case you don't want to comb through the whole mess.

*EA's up next, gave a brief demo of Need for Speed Shift on it.

They haven't talked about the e-book angle just yet.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 06:53:36 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2010, 06:42:53 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 27, 2010, 06:31:42 PM

Quote from: rittchard on January 27, 2010, 06:29:47 PM

Uhhh hasn't that been covered a bunch of times already?  It's the space between the iPhone and a full laptop/desktop, eventually replacing newspapers, magazines, books - and likely becoming your primary home web browser and email client.  I could go on and on but I won't because I know how people hate when I keep revealing I am an Apple fanboy icon_wink

Yes that's Apple's line, but I'm not getting the draw here.

I'm sure there will be many people like you who won't see the draw at first but might get interested later, and there will likely be some haters that will always refuse to recognize the potential.  But keep in mind it took some time for the iPod, and later the iPhone to really move to a more mass appeal status.  My guess is it will take about a year or so before this really sinks into the mainstream population.  I think a lot of people will be skeptical at first until they see how their friends, colleagues, schoolmates, etc are using the device in their everyday lives - but again it will take some time for that kind of market penetration to occur.

For early adopters though, it's like a wet dream.  You don't know how long I've been waiting for a decent slate/tablet like device - I actually own one of the original old Newtons lol.  Every single one (and I'd include things like larger PMPs from Archos and UMPCs) has failed in one aspect or another, all the way up through the Archos 9 I recently purchased (reviewed in Hardware/Software).

My prediction: this style of device is going to be the next-gen of computing, possibly overtaking the netbook and low-end laptop market over time (a few years or so).  If the majority of people use their netbooks/laptops for browsing, media, light gaming, email - why not use a device that is even handier, lighter and (theoretically) easier to use?    
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2010, 06:50:49 PM »

I guess it's gonna depend on price.  I'm typing this on a macbook now, which I love.  I want an iphone real bad (and if it goes to verizon soon I'll get one), but unless this thing is like 300 to 500, I'm just gonna buy another macbook when I want a new computer.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2010, 06:54:25 PM »

Oh, I spoke too soon. Jobs just rolled out an Amazon Kindle image on screen.  icon_smile
Quote from: Endgadget's Live blog
10:54AM Five big partners... Penguin, Macmillion, Simon & Shuster... and more.

10:54AM "It has a bookshelf. In addition there's a button which is the store -- we've created the new iBook Store. You can download right onto your iPad."

10:53AM "Isn't that awesome? These guys only had two weeks. So we've seen some really great apps. Let me show you another... one of our apps. That's an ebook reader. Now Amazon has done a great job of pioneering this... we're going to stand on their shoulders for this. Our new app is called iBooks."
Over an hour now, still going on. They haven't gotten around to pricing or broadband partners (presumed to be Verizon and maybe others). Going into painful detail on iWork. Snoooore.  icon_razz

Interesting though. They're only (relatively) going to charge $9.99 for the iPad incarnations of the various iWork stuff (Pages, Keynote etc.).

I still don't know how people are going to hold this thing securely. I sense room for a lot of "breakage warranties." Or cases with very grippy rubber backings.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:13:58 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2010, 06:56:22 PM »

I guess they really are going straight for the jugular against Kindle, ouch!!!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2010, 06:56:59 PM »

In Boston don't they call IPods "IPads" already?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 27, 2010, 07:05:09 PM »

Somehow they managed to miss that one of the big appeals of the Kindle is that the screen is easy to read without eyestrain, and that it's small and light.  The iPad is 1.5 lbs.  I don't want to be holding that up for long periods, and backlit screens produce eyestrain. 

I think they also announced that next year, they'll be coming out with a big-screen version of this, calling it the iPad Maxi, and they'll be renaming the iPod Touch the iPad Light Days.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2010, 07:08:56 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on January 27, 2010, 07:05:09 PM

Somehow they managed to miss that one of the big appeals of the Kindle is that the screen is easy to read without eyestrain, and that it's small and light.  The iPad is 1.5 lbs.  I don't want to be holding that up for long periods, and backlit screens produce eyestrain. 

There are plenty of people to whom the e-ink and eye strain aren't issues, myself included.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2010, 07:10:27 PM »

Fair enough (though I wasn't sold on e-ink until I saw it in person), but there's still the weight issue.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2010, 07:12:05 PM »

The day this gadget beats Kindle for ebooks will be a sad day. I'm not looking forward to cries of "haha, if you guys had waited you could have bought an iPad instead of that stupid Kindle!", particularly since anyone who thinks like that has no idea what the Kindle is and what it can do. That this thing is at all marketed partly as an ebook reader is absurd to me. Might as well call phones or laptops the same thing.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2010, 07:14:47 PM »

Yeay! Not all versions will have a 3G connection!

and ATT too...NO CONTRACT!!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:16:43 PM by Devil » Logged

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2010, 07:15:04 PM »

Mac's ipad. Say it out loud with me...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2010, 07:17:54 PM »

Hey, they announced data pricing plans. Very appealing (keep in mind it's not replacing the iPhone so they're not talking about voice plans per se):
Quote from: Endgadget
CHART:
$29.99 unlimited monthly data plan
OR
$14.99 for up to 250MB [data allowance I presume-bj]
Free use of AT&T WiFi hotspots
Activate on the iPad

11:14AM "We have a breakthrough deal with AT&T." Wow. Some serious sharp intakes of breath here. [I wonder if maybe folks were expecting Verizon to partner on this?-bj]

11:14AM "We have an unlimited plan for just $29.99 a month."

11:14AM "Now what does it cost for the data plans? Well in the US carriers charge about $60 a month. We have a real breakthrough. Two awesome plans for iPad owners. The first one gives you 250MB of data a month for $14.99."

[No contracts - it's pre-paid-bj]
He just announced pricing. Big surprise.  icon_cool [the high end matches a lot of estimates, but there seem to be options to suit just about every need/gizmo-desire]
11:20AM "We will be shipping these in 60 days. 3G models will ship in 90 days."

11:20AM "So $499 for 16GB of iPad. That's our base model. 32GB is $599, 64GB is $799. 3G models cost an extra $130. $629, 729, and 829 with 3G."

And just like we were able to meet or exceed our tech goals, we have met our cost goals... iPad pricing starts at $499."
Seems like it just ended, and Endgadget hopes to get a little supervised hands-on time with it.

I'm curious if the unit gets hot over time (since the processor is supposed to be so relatively powerful). If I got one I'd probably want something like a RhinoSkin case that could cover up the whole thing and then just flip away like a book cover. Hopefully one of the case-maker partners is working on something like that.

Best Jobs quote:
"Watching it is nothing like getting it in your hands."
It's just so wrong...  drool

There's a more organized write-up at Brighthand:
http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=16147&news=Apple+iPad+Tablet+Slate+iPhone+OS+4.0

Endaget's hands-on and photos are over here:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/apple-ipad-first-hands-on/
It's aaaaaalmost as thin as an iPhone.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:50:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: