http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 06:11:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Adventures of Tintin [movie]  (Read 1686 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2011, 01:29:04 PM »

No thread already?!

Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson are producing this.  Steven Moffat and Edgar Wright wrote it (and another guy I don't really know).  Plus, it's Tintin.

And now, there's a teaser trailer!  

I don't know about the hyper-real animation, though.  I think I would have preferred something less creepy.  Tintin's hair just doesn't look right with those real eyes.  Still, I'm looking very forward to this.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 01:46:10 PM »

looks pretty good,not sure if i want to see it at the cinema,but certainly on DVD

good cast as well...mainly British
Jamie Bell, Andy Serkis(of course), Daniel Craig, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Gad Elmaleh, Toby Jones, Mackenzie Crook

i know the third one has already been announced(as i visit Spielberg's IMDb page a lot,just to see if he has done anything about The Talisman yet),as it's to be a trilogy

Spielberg directs this one(which full title is The Adventures of Tin Tin:Secret of the Unicorn),and apparently Peter Jackson will be directing the second one,according to Wiki,which will be adapted from 'Prisoners in the sun' story

no doubt The Hobbit 1 and 2 will play with those plans though

I wonder if George Lucas is feeling left out now that Steve has found a new pal? Tongue

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 03:03:36 PM »

I must have read every one that my French library in primary school had back in the day. Great books and good times - love the adventures that he had.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 03:11:55 PM »

At least with those 2 behind it, it gives me some hope that the 3D will be worthwhile. I would have preferred a more traditional animated movie under the artisitic umbrella of one of Japans top studios. Despite being a bigger fan of anime, I do think the 1 of the most recent animated Tintin TV series produced jointly by French and Canadian studios, had a nice style. I'm not sure how well 3D can capture that style, but we'll have to see.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 03:18:52 PM »

Quote from: Roman on May 17, 2011, 03:03:36 PM

I must have read every one that my French library in primary school had back in the day. Great books and good times - love the adventures that he had.

Like those in my house, you must think of the dog as Milou and not Snowy, then.  That's going to be the hardest thing for my wife to deal with, I think.

tjg_marantz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 03:20:50 PM »

tjg_marantz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 03:21:51 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 17, 2011, 03:18:52 PM

Like those in my house, you must think of the dog as Milou and not Snowy, then.  That's going to be the hardest thing for my wife to deal with, I think.

Wait, what?

I guess I'll wait for the french version then.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 04:14:45 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 17, 2011, 03:18:52 PM

yup!

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 12:22:36 PM »

New Trailer

"Er..I am already downstairs,do try to keep up"  icon_lol

Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 12:37:19 PM »

That movie looks like it's gonna be a ton of fun. Looking forward to it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 03:01:11 PM »

IN!!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 03:06:21 PM »

Holy crap that looks good!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 03:58:14 PM »

I'm still not sold on the semi-real character models, but it does look like a lot of fun.

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 04:40:43 PM »

Loved reading the big comic books in school as a kid. I'll be checking this out.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 05:03:36 PM »

I went to this last night with my kids and came away very impressed. I'm a real fan of animation and anime and have probably watched close to a 1000 features and series in my days, but I honestly can't remember many that were better directed than this. In many ways this film is a showcase for Spielberg's talent and genius as an action film director. Its no secret Spielberg considers Hayao Miyazaki's Lupin and the Castle of Cagliostro as one of the greatest action films ever made, and its influences are clearly rubbed off on this. A number of scenes immediately brought back visual memories of some of the great animated, actions scenes from that earlier feature, despite the animation medium being so different. As to the story, I haven't read enough of Herge's Tintin series to know if this  was a direct adaptation of one of his stories, but it was certainly a good story. Not too light for an adult and not too complicated for a child, it still had its share of nice plot twists and surprises. And it definitely had an epic, adventure feel to it. From as much as I know of Herge's Tintin universe, this film was true to it.

That's not to say that this film is perfect - there were definitely a few scenes and edits that I felt were a bit akward. As well, I can't say I'm totally sold on the animation medium used. I'd say  this film features good CGI animation, but its really more of an animation realism technique/technology than the former. I personally make no bones about not being very enthused for CGI -although I've being warming up to it in recent years- but this actually makes me more appreciative of CGI. The tech used in this is almost as if real actors had an animation veneer applied with some anatomy tweaks here and there - think big, I mean really big, noses. smile  It'll be interesting to see where this animation tech goes in the next few years.

And then there's the 3D - hard for me because so far I'm just not a big fan of it. That said, one thing clear about this film almost from the openting scene is that it was specfically crafted for 3D. Is it on par with the use of the 3D medium in Avatar? No not quite IMO, but darn close. Both my son and I noted a few secenes where 3D could have been better used. There was also the strobing and background blurring I've experienced in every 3D film I've seen, but there does seem to be less of it in this.

And then there's the sound - what can you say, the music score is by John Williams and although its not Star Wars great, it is good. The sound quality and editing were also very impressive. If you've ever liked any animation film I recommend this. Oh, and don't forget to take the kids. slywink
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 05:41:21 PM by kronovan » Logged
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 06:39:23 PM »

We took our 5 year old and 3 year old a few days ago and left with about the same impressions.  It was a really good movie.  I thought the level of violence wasn't too bad even for the 3 year old - on par with Star Wars type stuff where people die but no blood, etc.  We did not see the 3d version since I think 3d is silly plus I don't think it is recommended for kids as young as mine.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 11:01:29 PM »

We went today and the whole family loved it.  The credits were incredible followed by a loving Herge moment to start the film, and it took off from there. 

I do wish Thompson and Thomson were used a little more, and I honestly found the noses distracting.

Snowy was awesome.

The hardest thing for us is that my wife read these in French, and in our house, it's Dupont and Dupond and Milou.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 07:13:53 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 28, 2011, 11:01:29 PM

The hardest thing for us is that my wife read these in French, and in our house, it's Dupont and Dupond and Milou.

Yeah, up here in Canuckistan you get exposed to some of the French version. I'm actually a bit bothered they pronounced the main protagonist's name as "tin" "tin" and not "tan" "tan". But hey, its a darn silly name anyways so who really cares. slywink
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 02:07:32 PM »

I grew up reading it in German, along with Asterix and Obelix.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 02:08:08 PM »

Also, my brother hated it. I figure I'll probably enjoy it since we rarely agree on movies. biggrin

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 03:18:56 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 29, 2011, 07:13:53 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 28, 2011, 11:01:29 PM

Yeah, up here in Canuckistan you get exposed to some of the French version. I'm actually a bit bothered they pronounced the main protagonist's name as "tin" "tin" and not "tan" "tan". But hey, its a darn silly name anyways so who really cares. slywink

Down here in Texas, you'd probably hear it as "Teen Teen".  Tongue

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 05:36:39 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 29, 2011, 02:07:32 PM

I grew up reading it in German, along with Asterix and Obelix.

Wot! Reading Rene Goscinny's Asterix le Gaulois in German is sacrilege.  Tongue

Hey, they're supposed to be making a new movie of that too. Wouldn't it be awesome if Jackon or Spielberg got the rights and saved it by taking a similar approach as Tintin. As it stands the next live action film in that series will be called Asterix & Obelix: On Her Majesty's Service. OK then...that doesn't have major fail written all over it.  Roll Eyes

And oh yeah, your brother has absolutely no taste in films.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »

Saw this tonight. Wonderful movie. I was skeptical about the style they were using with the characters, but they made it work quite brilliantly. The characters show a lot of emotion, something which is rare to see in an animated movie. It's got enough realism in the details, yet doesn't detract from it being a cartoon. The 3D was very well utilized, and I hope we see more of Spielberg going in this direction with animation compared to Zemeckis.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 06:50:53 PM »

...has now grossed 367 million globaly, which leads me to believe another Tintin from Spielberg can't be too far away. smile
Meanwhile its only drawn $75 million in NA, but no real surprise about it doing much better elsewhere as the series is very popular in Japan and phenomenally popular in Europe - heck they even have a Tintin store in the UK!  I'm thinking the much lower popularity in NA is one of the reasons the Academy chose to diss it for a best animated feature nomination. No worries, I'm betting it does well in other film and media award ceremonies.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:58:48 PM by kronovan » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 06, 2012, 06:50:53 PM

I'm thinking the much lower popularity in NA is one of the reasons the Academy chose to diss it for a best animated feature nomination.

We've covered this elsewhere. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 07:56:50 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on February 06, 2012, 07:05:58 PM

I'm thinking the much lower popularity in NA is one of the reasons the Academy chose to diss it for a best animated feature nomination.

Sheesh and I thought I was a snob about this kind of thing - my being a traditional animation purist and all.  slywink  Yeah well, it appears the Academy doesn't take the same attitude with the older rotoscoping technique, which according to my sister, who's a professional animator, is used quite often in some scenes in the  features from the big studios. Buy hey if the American Academy wants to take that line fine by me - I really don't have any respect for them, so what does it matter anyways. slywink
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 08:19:59 PM »

Was bummed I missed this in the theater but will be sure to catch a rental.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2012, 09:16:41 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 06, 2012, 07:56:50 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on February 06, 2012, 07:05:58 PM

Sheesh and I thought I was a snob about this kind of thing - my being a traditional animation purist and all.  slywink  Yeah well, it appears the Academy doesn't take the same attitude with the older rotoscoping technique, which according to my sister, who's a professional animator, is used quite often in some scenes in the  features from the big studios. Buy hey if the American Academy wants to take that line fine by me - I really don't have any respect for them, so what does it matter anyways. slywink

Actually, that's not true.  Modern rotoscoping has been just as snubbed as mocap.  So, at least they're consistent.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2012, 02:10:15 AM »

saw this on blu ray tonight, and it was freaking awesome.  it had a nice Raiders of the Lost Ark feel to it, and it's definitely earned a spot in my collection.  at the end I was hoping for more, can't wait to see what Peter Jackson comes up with in the sequel.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 02:56:03 AM »

I forgot to say I watched this and loved it. Total fun adventure. Amazing visuals.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2013, 10:01:44 PM »

I just got around to watching this and really enjoyed it,it took me a few minutes to get used to the creepy realism,but after that it was just a joy from start to finish

I was quite impressed with everyone's voice,especially Daniel Craig as the bad guy,his voice was a lot different than we are used to in his movies,Simon Pegg and Nick Frost were also good as Thomson and Thompson

The Sequel unfortunately has been pushed back to 2015,most probably because of Peter Jackson committing to direct The Hobbit movies instead of originally just producing...maybe a good thing that The Hobbit 3 is summer 2014 and not waiting until Christmas 2014

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2013, 11:51:15 PM »

got this for my son for xmas and we watched it last week.  it's very well done and we all enjoyed it.  looking forward to the next one.   thumbsup

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 03:59:19 AM »

Watched this a few weeks ago and loved it. Total Indiana Jones Jr. vibe to it and looking forward to the sequel.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 06:32:14 AM »

Since this is now on Netflix streaming I watched it during the holidays.  Outside of the ridiculous chase scene in the middle of the film, I thought it was pretty good.  The animation style was pretty good as well.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2014, 04:00:38 AM »

Just watched this again with my son.

First of all : crane fights are awesome.

Secondly, some of the transition scenes were fantastic (boat on the ocean becomes a puddle that the cop then steps in, or folded hands that become the desert ridges at night).

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 01:41:42 AM »

I've still only watched it once even though it's been on netflix.ca for a while. I agree about the editing - it was very good. Here's hoping Jackson equals Spielberg's directing for the 2nd movie.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: