http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 06:29:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 5 Stages of Star Wars Fandom Grief  (Read 679 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2011, 12:34:48 AM »

SW Fandom Grief

I haven't quite come to the same conclusion as him, but I did only see the third movie twice.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 02:15:09 AM »

LOL,good read

i think Simon Pegg says it best in Spaced when a kid(who is this era of Star Wars fan) comes into his Sci-Fi shop to buy a Jar Jar Doll
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUkCJDkG3fg
and the follow uphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKtxhvSIrRw

FWIW- i loved Episode III,hated the first two...although i can still sit through them at least(which will be evident when i see The Phantom Menace next February in 3D)

I love Star Wars, but when i was a kid it wasn't the novels though it was the action figures(why read a new adventure when you can make your own),and i had hundreds of them(the back of the packaging had crosses next to all the figures i owned),and one day i went to play with them and my Dad had given them all to the local Childrens Hospital,the Emperor that i had to send off for,my AT-AT that i pretended was a dog,my AT-ST,my two Speeder Bikes that you press a button and they fall apart,LOL,Jabba the friggin' Hutt,that weird Star Destroyer that Elliot has in E.T....the lot...probably cost a lot of money now,whether out of the packet or not

oh i do still have the double LP of the Star Wars soundtrack though:icon_biggrin:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:19:03 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 03:08:14 AM »

I believe these are required to be watched now:

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/
http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-ii-attack-of-the-clones/
http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith/

Just to truly understand how horrible of a film maker George Lucas has become.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 04:21:00 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on May 18, 2011, 03:08:14 AM

God damn those videos are so epic. Watchin them again right now, such a good time killer. GENIOUS production.
I'm just tired of reading about people my age being 'over' star wars due to eps 1-3. There's 100 billion people that feel the same way, I'm just tired of reading it.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not a happy camper about eps 1-3 and all, but my bigger beef is the re-releases and greedo shooting first. They were definitly tipping the hand of what was to come. I think Lucas was trying to pull a 'producers' or something.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 02:17:59 PM »

imho, this really goes back to Lucas declining to let Irvin Kershner direct Return of the Jedi (Kershner said in many later interviews he wanted to) and finish what he started on TESB. Now Kershner is not a genius (while he directed The Guns of Navarone, his final efforts included Connery's unofficial bond film "Never Say Never Again, and Robocop 2), but my gut impression is he was a fairly tough customer who might not have let ROTJ get overrun with Ewoks and Muppets and what not. I think Kersh would've beeh OK directing a film with a happy ending, he just probably would've resisted the sappier moments in Return.

I remember hoping that Lucas would direct all the new films and then almost immediately coming to the conclusion that was wrong -- that was assuming that George L. was still the guy in his 30s who directed American Graffiti and Star Wars. Instead I came around to the idea he would've been better off producing, hiring some top directors and giving them some say, and having some strong-willed producers as he did on the first couple films and Raiders of the Lost Ark (Gary Kurtz, Howard Kazanjian etc).

I tend to favor the theory that in the end, Georgie surrounded himself with yes-men and yes-women who would never dare to tell him that his characters or dialogue needed work (or just total revamping), or that his casting was misbegotten, or that certain scenes were unnecessary or went on way too long. Or that just because you can use digital effects to have 5,000 enemies or space ships on screen instead of, say, 15, doesn't make the scene entertaining if we the audience don't care about the story or characters involved.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:23:18 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 02:55:50 PM »

I heard in the upcoming blu ray release he changes it so Porkins doesn't die....

Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 03:19:31 PM »

I also think that Marcia Lucas is a huge reason why the original Star Wars turned out so well:

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html

And without someone to basically bash George Lucas's ego every once in awhile we get the shit that is the prequels. Marcia had a better eye and edited so much better than he ever could.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 04:28:52 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 18, 2011, 02:17:59 PM

imho, this really goes back to Lucas declining to let Irvin Kershner direct Return of the Jedi (Kershner said in many later interviews he wanted to) and finish what he started on TESB. Now Kershner is not a genius (while he directed The Guns of Navarone, his final efforts included Connery's unofficial bond film "Never Say Never Again, and Robocop 2), but my gut impression is he was a fairly tough customer who might not have let ROTJ get overrun with Ewoks and Muppets and what not. I think Kersh would've beeh OK directing a film with a happy ending, he just probably would've resisted the sappier moments in Return.

I remember hoping that Lucas would direct all the new films and then almost immediately coming to the conclusion that was wrong -- that was assuming that George L. was still the guy in his 30s who directed American Graffiti and Star Wars. Instead I came around to the idea he would've been better off producing, hiring some top directors and giving them some say, and having some strong-willed producers as he did on the first couple films and Raiders of the Lost Ark (Gary Kurtz, Howard Kazanjian etc).

I tend to favor the theory that in the end, Georgie surrounded himself with yes-men and yes-women who would never dare to tell him that his characters or dialogue needed work (or just total revamping), or that his casting was misbegotten, or that certain scenes were unnecessary or went on way too long. Or that just because you can use digital effects to have 5,000 enemies or space ships on screen instead of, say, 15, doesn't make the scene entertaining if we the audience don't care about the story or characters involved.

You just need to look at Indy 4 to see that somehow it's not all about Yes Men or hiring top directors.  Apparently, Spielberg and Ford did their damnedest to make that one good, but George was convinced he knew better.  He was the producer and had final say over his lead and director, in the end.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 06:57:46 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on May 18, 2011, 03:19:31 PM

I also think that Marcia Lucas is a huge reason why the original Star Wars turned out so well:

And without someone to basically bash George Lucas's ego every once in awhile we get the shit that is the prequels. Marcia had a better eye and edited so much better than he ever could.

Even IMDB has little info on her, and you have to do a bit of digging.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 10:57:08 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on May 18, 2011, 03:19:31 PM

wow, at the end they just say as of know her whereabouts is unknown...weird
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 02:06:17 AM »

Sometimes I don't find this kind of thing funny, but this...  was pretty amusing imho  icon_smile

7 Quotes That Could Have Saved The Star Wars Prequels

http://www.dorkly.com/article/13787/7-quotes-that-could-have-saved-the-star-wars-prequels

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: