http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 10:38:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 201X Health Improvement Thread  (Read 14598 times)
disarm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #560 on: October 07, 2013, 03:31:48 PM »

Taking 10 minutes off a previous time is no small feat. Congratulations!

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: October 07, 2013, 11:31:13 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on October 06, 2013, 08:22:03 PM

Finished the half marathon in about 2:20 which is almost 10 minutes better than last year. I was in good shape until about mile 11 when I really started to feel it physically. The last mile was done solely on guts, duct tape and string. I SO wanted to walk across the finish line but fought that urge mentally and managed to run the entire race (no walking).

My legs are sore in a way that cannot be described. Hopefully some Aleve and rest in the next 24 hours will enable me to walk again.

I have no idea how people can do a full marathon. The thought of running for four hours is incomprehensible to me.

Congrats!

Were you hydrating properly during the race?  That can really sap you.

Congrats!
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: October 08, 2013, 12:10:54 AM »

There were water and Gatorade stations all along the route, but I didn't start taking any until around the 4 mile mark. Then I hydrated at every station until the end, although I skipped the last one since it was so close to the finish. I also took one of those Gu energy packs at the midway point.

I guess Gatorade is suppose to hydrate you but I still felt thirsty after drinking that stuff. I think I should have stuck to plain old water. If I ever decide to run another half marathon, I might buy one of those belts with the small water bottles and hydrate on my own schedule rather than relying on the stations along the race route.

Amazingly enough today, the day after, I don't feel bad at all. The hamstrings are a little sore but that's it. The hurt in the feet is gone and the knees feel okay.

Some of you may remember that I do Crossfit regularly and I really believe that has helped with my overall strength, endurance, and ability to recover. I did not specifically train as much for the half marathon this year. The longest distance I ran in preparation was 6 miles and I only did that twice. Otherwise I ran 3 miles multiple time over the 4 weeks leading up to the race. However, I stuck to my Crossfitting routine of 3 to 4 times a week, with a good mix of metabolic stuff and weightlifting. From what people have been telling me, a near 10 minute improvement in my half marathon time is pretty major, so I am happy about that.

Now I have to decide whether or not I want to run it again next year. I am not that much of a fan of distance running. The only reason I did the half two years in a row is due to peer pressure from my friends.

Oh, and the winner of the San Jose Rock and Roll Half Marathon this year finished in 1:02. That's better than my 10K time! Gah!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: October 08, 2013, 09:10:49 AM »

Since I quasi-passed out after my first marathon, I've run with a water belt and it has made all the difference.

Sounds like you drank enough for sure, but it can be jolting to try gatorade on race day when you haven' trained with it.

This may sound crazy, but you should see if there's another half in your location in the next month or so and do it again. smile

You've done the distance now so the mystique is gone out of it and you know you can do it. I bet you just settle in and have 'fun' and have a more enjoyable race and in a better time.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: October 08, 2013, 10:25:16 PM »

That's crazy talk! Honestly, I'll have to think hard about trying another half marathon again. I'm glad I did it the last two years but it's definitely at the upper end of my pain tolerance.

If I do another one, no more Gatorade for me. That stuff is so overrated.
disarm

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #565 on: October 09, 2013, 02:31:32 AM »

My first half marathon is in three days, then I'll be doing it again exactly four weeks later. Way back in early summer, my fiance and I signed up to do the Wine & Dine Half Marathon at Disney World on 11/9 just because some friends were also going to be there. It should be a lot of fun, especially without the pressure of the first time. I'm not sure how it will feel to do two races so close together, but I did several long runs (9-11 miles) on consecutive weekends without any trouble. I guess I'll find out in a month...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: October 09, 2013, 03:39:54 AM »

Damn, you are hardcore! It sounds like you've been training appropriately for it so you will no doubt kill it. Good luck!
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: October 09, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »

Jimmy - try running with Heed instead of Gatorade.  Gatorade is a lot of simple sugar and bullshit... Heed is much more tolerable.

If you just want eletrolytes/salt and not calories, try Nuun.

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: October 09, 2013, 06:52:29 PM »

I drink either water or Nuun when I run...water for short runs, then carry one bottle of water and one of Nuun on an Amphipod belt for long runs.

Nuun is pretty good because it replaces electrolyte losses without all the sugar that's in Gatorade and is more interesting than plain water. I'm a very heavy, salty sweater and drink a lot when it's hot, so I think it's better for me than just just water. The only issue I have with it is that it's a quick-dissolve tablet that fizzes when you put it in water...start drinking it too soon after it dissolves and I get air in my stomach and have to burp while running (not comfortable). It will also build up pressure in your water bottle and spray when you open the top of you're not careful. Both problems are easily avoided if you mix it ahead of time so the bubbles can dissipate though.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: October 12, 2013, 06:26:16 PM »

It's done! I finished the Hartford Half-Marathon a few hours ago...hardest physical thing I've ever done, but it was worth every bit of the effort to cross that finish line. My official time was 2:18:10 at a 10:33 pace...a little behind my goal time, but I'm happy just to have finished considering that I couldn't run much more than a mile nine months ago. I had a great first half, finishing 6.5 miles in 55 minutes, but I hit a wall around mile 9 when we came into a few hills and was never able to get back to my pace. The whole training process and race have been an amazing, life-changing experience. I'm 35 years old and in the best shape of my life...never would have imagined being at this point a year ago icon_cool

Now I have four weeks to recover before doing it all over again...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 06:46:10 PM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: October 12, 2013, 07:28:25 PM »

Booyah!

Nice work!
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 12, 2013, 09:41:49 PM »

Well done!
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 13, 2013, 07:58:28 PM »

Good job. I hit the wall at pretty much the same point my first time too, but that feeling of accomplishment when you finish is awesome.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 13, 2013, 09:00:53 PM »

Quote from: disarm on October 12, 2013, 06:26:16 PM

I had a great first half, finishing 6.5 miles in 55 minutes, but I hit a wall around mile 9 when we came into a few hills and was never able to get back to my pace.

Was thinking about this on my run this morning. Sounds like you started out too fast. Do you agree?  Race day adrenaline? What are you going to do to not start so hot in a month?
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 14, 2013, 02:39:35 AM »

Quote from: ATB on October 13, 2013, 09:00:53 PM

Quote from: disarm on October 12, 2013, 06:26:16 PM

I had a great first half, finishing 6.5 miles in 55 minutes, but I hit a wall around mile 9 when we came into a few hills and was never able to get back to my pace.

Was thinking about this on my run this morning. Sounds like you started out too fast. Do you agree?  Race day adrenaline? What are you going to do to not start so hot in a month?

I wear a Garmin watch that constantly gives me my pace, so I knew what I was running the whole time. The tricky thing is that I wouldn't really say that I made a mistake because the fast pace was something I consciously decided to try.

I had been running quite a bit faster on my shorter runs recently, kicking myself up to around a 9:00-9:15 pace for 5-6 miles as opposed to the 9:45-10:00 that I had been doing. I was starting to feel really good there for the shorter distances, so I decided to push myself more in the race with hopes that I could pull of a better time. Even if I wasn't able to keep up the pace, I figured that I would bank enough time in the beginning that I could slow down later on and still finish near my 2:10 goal. Unfortunately, I did feel really good for the first half, but it was around 8 miles that we hit the toughest part of the course, and I had spent too much energy getting through that point to keep my pace up in the second half. It was a risk that I knowingly took, and unfortunately, it didn't work out in my favor. Moral of the story? Don't try out a new strategy during a run that exceeds your previous longest distance by 2 full miles icon_wink

As for next time, I know now that I'm not capable of maintaining that kind of pace for the full 13 miles, so I'm going to pull back to something more comfortable from the start and not take the same chances. I don't think that next month is really going to be about improving on my time, however, because there are a lot of things different about the next run...mostly flat terrain, warm and humid Florida weather instead of 55 degrees, and it's a Disney run that we're doing more for the fun experience of running through the parks than clocking a fast race.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: October 22, 2013, 10:45:05 AM »

Quote from: disarm on October 14, 2013, 02:39:35 AM

Don't try out a new strategy during a run that exceeds your previous longest distance by 2 full miles icon_wink

Tongue

I think a better way to put that is don't try anything new on race day ever. slywink
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #576 on: October 22, 2013, 06:26:09 PM »

Don't know if many people here still use Fitocracy, but their latest update is royally screwed.  The site/apps are virtually unusable at the moment.

Put in my numbers for this morning, gained over 4700 points and a dozen new achievements.  I knew I had broken some PRs, but I'm pretty sure I didn't bench press 500+ lbs.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 06, 2014, 02:12:28 PM »

Was down 38lbs at the start of October. Picked up a second job and a bunch of travel + the holidays so I'm now sitting at about -28 (I'll weigh in on Monday).

Did two miles at an easy 9:31 pace this morning and felt pretty good considering I've done almost nothing since November.

Hope to shed the 10 I've gained in the next two months, get back to my 6.9 - 7.0 average pace by April and be ready to hit the outside with gusto!

Pleased to be back in the mix.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: January 06, 2014, 05:11:49 PM »

Picked up a Fitbit and I'm going to restart the diet and hit the gym every day, alternating between cardio and lifting.   If the calculations are right, I'll have hit my goal by the end of this year - much sooner if I can maintain some semblance of that pace. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #579 on: January 06, 2014, 05:39:56 PM »

Starting a weightloss challenge at work tomorrow.

Already lost 6 lbs. Fasting x2 a week (24 hour H2O + lemon juice cleansing cycle).

Also trying to stick to paleo foods. May go for the 2-400 cal. x7 meals throughout the day. Already having a cup of cottage cheese as my last snack (casein protein to carry me through cleansing periods and nighttimes).

I'm 254 right now. FWIW I hit a milestone in the gym three weeks ago. 5 reps of 350lbs on bench. (to just better than 90deg - I've injured my shoulder in the past, so I don't force it).

I can now swing and change direction on monkey bars. Max is 54 rungs. Problem is, the TRX system at the Y has bars that are too narrow by about an 1/8 - 1/4 inch so I end up getting blisters. Gloves don't help.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: January 06, 2014, 07:01:03 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 06, 2014, 05:39:56 PM

Starting a weightloss challenge at work tomorrow.

Already lost 6 lbs. Fasting x2 a week (24 hour H2O + lemon juice cleansing cycle).

Also trying to stick to paleo foods. May go for the 2-400 cal. x7 meals throughout the day. Already having a cup of cottage cheese as my last snack (casein protein to carry me through cleansing periods and nighttimes).

I'm 254 right now. FWIW I hit a milestone in the gym three weeks ago. 5 reps of 350lbs on bench. (to just better than 90deg - I've injured my shoulder in the past, so I don't force it).

I can now swing and change direction on monkey bars. Max is 54 rungs. Problem is, the TRX system at the Y has bars that are too narrow by about an 1/8 - 1/4 inch so I end up getting blisters. Gloves don't help.

The TRX system is that hateful system with the straps too, right?  I damned near killed myself on this exercise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqY2B2hUfLs

She makes that look soooooooo easy. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #581 on: January 06, 2014, 07:27:34 PM »

Yeah. I use the 10 bars as monkey bars and swing, switch, and return x2 (at least) 40 rungs. All back engagement - I'm not swinging and using arcs to get to the next rung, I simply pull myself up and reach out.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 07, 2014, 09:31:34 AM »

Wow I feel lazy. I popped in here to say I wanna eat better, quit smoking etc. ALL I SEE IS MARATHONS and such. icon_confused
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 07, 2014, 03:18:19 PM »

I made some big strides in 2013. I was more consistent with my running and wound up reaching my goal weight of 180. I started eating better and was able to get completely off of my cholesterol meds.

2014 will be maintaining and improving the gains I made in 2013. I really want to work on some strength training and conditioning this year, as I've been focused so much on cardio. 175 would be a nice goal to reach, but as long as I stay in the 180 range I won't be disappointed.

The plan right now is consistency. One thing that prevented me from really going above and beyond last year was inconsistent training. This year I need to be focused on making my workouts mandatory. I plan on continuing my once a week personal trainer visit, but supplement this with at least one or two nights of independent strength training. In addition, I'll definitely continue my three miles 3x a week running regimen from last year.

I'm also making a concerted effort to stop eating out so much. One day a week will be eating out with the guys, but the rest of the time I'm going home (I live only five minutes from work). Saves me money, is much better for me health-wise, and I get some extra game time in if I'm efficient. It's a win-win-win.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #584 on: January 07, 2014, 05:47:15 PM »

Well, I was 254. This morning I weighed into the weightloss challenge at 248.6 (down from 254).

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #585 on: February 16, 2014, 02:27:48 AM »

So I did the 'everybody' thing and decided to get myself in great shape this year.  Better than that, I set in motion.   I lift 4x a week with a trainer HIIT style (high intensity intervals, no breaks, 60 minutes) and then I've been using Xbox Fitness 2-3 days a week for cardio for 50 minutes each session.   Since Jan 1st I've lost 12.5lbs and I'm lifting FAR more than I ever thought I could.  (e.g. seated dumbell shoulder press with 90lbs in each arm)  I'm gonna keep going on this track and see where it leads me, but so far so good.   

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: