http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 10:05:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 201X Health Improvement Thread  (Read 14416 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: September 28, 2012, 04:34:57 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on September 26, 2012, 06:23:34 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on September 26, 2012, 06:06:07 AM

Quote from: USMC Kato on September 25, 2012, 08:57:37 PM

The rest of the year will be interesting for me. Back surgery Oct 2nd, then neck surgery Dec. 10  icon_eek

Fusion or replacement? 

I'm now bionic, but not government funded, so my parts are probably more likely to work.

Be careful what you let them put in you. No government metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmUx0L6k_0U

Fuse for my back and a replacement for my neck. I'll ask the government to install an elite asian driving program while they are installing my neck.

See if they'll toss in a NOS tattoo as well. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 08, 2012, 06:35:31 PM »

While I don't really post in this thread, I have been reading it and staying up to date with everyone's stories.

However I did want to pop in here to say that I accomplished a momentous activity in my life. Yesterday ( Sunday), I ran my first half-marathon, which is just over 13 miles. Definitely the hardest thing I have ever tried, and was a mental battle more than anything. Five years ago, there was no way I could ever have attempted something like this. Just really excited that I am at a point in my life at 44 years old, that I am as healthy as I have ever been.

My finish time was 2 hours, 28 minutes, but really the important thing is that I survived and am still able to walk afterwards.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 08, 2012, 07:41:36 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on October 08, 2012, 06:35:31 PM

While I don't really post in this thread, I have been reading it and staying up to date with everyone's stories.

However I did want to pop in here to say that I accomplished a momentous activity in my life. Yesterday ( Sunday), I ran my first half-marathon, which is just over 13 miles. Definitely the hardest thing I have ever tried, and was a mental battle more than anything. Five years ago, there was no way I could ever have attempted something like this. Just really excited that I am at a point in my life at 44 years old, that I am as healthy as I have ever been.

My finish time was 2 hours, 28 minutes, but really the important thing is that I survived and am still able to walk afterwards.

thumbsup
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 08, 2012, 10:21:08 PM »

Congrats Jimmy, that's awesome.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 09, 2012, 07:13:08 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on October 08, 2012, 06:35:31 PM

+ thumbsup

I actually have good news of my own as well.  I had my three-month follow-up with my neurosurgeon yesterday for my post-op evaluation.  The x-rays indicated my prosthetic has not migrated at all, my bone has fused appropriately, and my sensory locales are all functioning properly.  What does that all translate to?

Only three months after complete cervical disc replacement and I have been completely cleared to return to all activity, including strength training, competitive sports, and my beloved softball teams.  No restrictions.  Unfortunately I've lost 10 pounds of muscle since surgery, and it will be a long, hard road getting back to where I was in the weight room as well as on the softball field, but just to be able to come back with no more nerve problems or pain issues will be well worth it.

I'm back.   icon_cool

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: October 09, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »

Whoa, that is awesome, and SO incredibly fortunate considering what the outcome could have been.

Time to get back on the wagon!!
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 10, 2012, 01:05:05 PM »

Having played year-round softball for three teams simultaneously plus tournaments when I lived back in the Phoenix area, and with my recent surgery clearance, I started to make plans this morning to register for the upcoming winter season here in Tucson to get my game back and play while I'm in pharmacy pschool.  Until I learned that the City of Tucson only offers a Fall season and a Spring season, no winter season.   saywhat

Keep calling yourself a "city" Tucson, but just saying it doesn't make it so.   disgust

Looks like I'm back to considering driving back to Scottsdale every Friday to play.  At least that would mean playing on my regular Friday team with my wife and friends, making the weekly 2-hour drive worth it.  And getting back to playing with my usual teammates would also get me back into playing tournaments on weekends when possible.  There's no way I'm waiting until spring to play again.

Tucson, you continue to disappoint me. 

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 14, 2012, 08:58:51 PM »

On Friday night I played my first softball game back in three months, and it felt fucking spectacular to be back on the field.  And even moreso to be back on the field with my friends. 

8 for 9 at the plate and zero missed plays at 3rd, including four smoking grounders, a handful of crazy hops, and a number of line drives. 

The best part?  Actually having feeling in my left arm and hand while playing.

And my neck feels great.

Hell.  Yes.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 15, 2012, 01:37:42 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 14, 2012, 08:58:51 PM

On Friday night I played my first softball game back in three months, and it felt fucking spectacular to be back on the field.  And even moreso to be back on the field with my friends. 

8 for 9 at the plate and zero missed plays at 3rd, including four smoking grounders, a handful of crazy hops, and a number of line drives. 

And my neck feels great.

Hell.  Yes.

Awesome man.  Glad to hear you're back to form.   thumbsup

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 15, 2012, 01:24:53 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 15, 2012, 01:37:42 AM

Quote from: PeteRock on October 14, 2012, 08:58:51 PM

And my neck feels great.

Hell.  Yes.

Awesome man.  Glad to hear you're back to form.   thumbsup

This. x100.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 22, 2012, 07:21:15 PM »

3 weeks post surgery and I'm feeling a bit better. My Doc said my titanium plate and 6 screws may set off metal detectors  icon_eek

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 22, 2012, 07:49:55 PM »

whoa! Glad to hear you're feeling better, Kato!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 22, 2012, 08:22:11 PM »

Sweet Jeebus!  I thought they were supposed to take shrapnel out of our soldiers, not put more in.

Glad to hear recuperation is progressing.  Still cleared for the neck in December?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 23, 2012, 01:36:53 AM »

Damn Kato.  Glad to hear you're on the mend.

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 23, 2012, 01:42:14 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 22, 2012, 08:22:11 PM

Sweet Jeebus!  I thought they were supposed to take shrapnel out of our soldiers, not put more in.

Glad to hear recuperation is progressing.  Still cleared for the neck in December?

Yeah, neck surgery is a go in December and it's the same kind of surgery Pete got....really not looking forward to it  icon_neutral

Semper Fidelis

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 23, 2012, 02:02:28 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on October 23, 2012, 01:42:14 AM

Yeah, neck surgery is a go in December and it's the same kind of surgery Pete got....really not looking forward to it  icon_neutral

Stock up on Otter Pops.  You probably won't be able to swallow for a few days, but the ice pops seemed to make it somewhat bearable.  Also, I'd recommend staying away from Percocet.  Your airway will already be weak and damaged, and Percocet is a respiratory depressant.  The two combined to give me temporary sleep apnea, so if you can handle the pain with something like Vicodin you will probably be better off. 

But in three months I was back in the gym and playing sports.  So at first it will suck, but recovery is scary fast.  And the best part?  You'll still have full mobility in your neck, unlike fusion, so while it may not improve your driving, you won't have to worry about limited mobility making it any worse.  \  /

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 23, 2012, 05:49:11 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 23, 2012, 02:02:28 AM

Quote from: USMC Kato on October 23, 2012, 01:42:14 AM

Stock up on Otter Pops.  You probably won't be able to swallow for a few days, but the ice pops seemed to make it somewhat bearable.  Also, I'd recommend staying away from Percocet.  Your airway will already be weak and damaged, and Percocet is a respiratory depressant.  The two combined to give me temporary sleep apnea, so if you can handle the pain with something like Vicodin you will probably be better off. 

But in three months I was back in the gym and playing sports.  So at first it will suck, but recovery is scary fast.  And the best part?  You'll still have full mobility in your neck, unlike fusion, so while it may not improve your driving, you won't have to worry about limited mobility making it any worse.  \  /

Thanks for the tips Pete, guess I'll be stocking up on some Otter Pops.  Can't wait until I'm back to 100% like you are, not being active is killing me.

Semper Fidelis

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 23, 2012, 08:27:13 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on October 23, 2012, 05:49:11 PM

Thanks for the tips Pete, guess I'll be stocking up on some Otter Pops.  Can't wait until I'm back to 100% like you are, not being active is killing me.

I went from competitive softball three nights a week, pool league one night a week, and lifting five days a week to zero activity.  And, even prior to surgery I was forced to give up pool almost 6 to 8 months before going under the knife due to my entire arm going numb immediately after getting into shooting position.  Now I'm back to shooting pool, I'm slowly getting my strength back, and I've been playing sports like before although on a slightly less aggressive level (at least for now), but I'm far from being back to 100%.  I've got a long way to go in terms of getting my strength and agility back, but I at least no longer have nerve problems.  And no athletic limitations outside of just getting back to where I was a number of months ago.

You'll be back to action in no time, at least in terms of the big picture, but it'll feel like an eternity.  My only other word of advice is do NOT preempt your clearance.  Some injuries are okay to push your recovery.  This is not one of them.  

I just wish my docs were more straightforward with me.  I felt like when I woke up I wasn't warned at all how shitty I'd feel.  Because I had such severe vertebrae compression, they first had to pry apart my vertebrae to fit the prosthetic.  That puts so much strain on your full spinal column that when you wake up you'll wonder why your entire spine hurts and not just your neck.  They also didn't warn me about just how severe a sore throat I'd have.  It's not a sore throat, it's a complete inability to swallow.  Have a spit cup nearby when you get tired of trying to choke down saliva that feels like shards of glass.  Trust me.  Also be ready for tension headaches and have Excedrine or something similar nearby.  Mine sometimes would blossom into full migraines and then it would be too late.  Ultimately you'll recover quickly, but be ready for a few days of misery. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:38:25 PM by PeteRock » Logged

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 02, 2012, 02:12:46 PM »

You guys aren't going to believe this shit, but a number of soccer players in my pharmacy class of 2016 are ex-players, and they put together an intramural team in one of the more competitive leagues.  But while a number of people have played in the past, no one played goalie.  Well, word got around that I play shortstop in softball and so they had me come out to a few practices to see if my lateral agility would translate well to the soccer pitch.

Last night was our first game and we earned a W!  And having never set foot on the soccer pitch prior, I gave up less goals than the opposition and learned a fair bit in the process.  Sure, I made mistakes, and the only goal I gave up I went out to grab the ball and was unexpectedly shoulder-blocked into the grass which left a wide-open goal (I was given the impression the goalie was off-limits if I went for control, and my teammates confirmed that it was a bogus no-call), but the next time I was in that situation I went in hot and things went differently.   icon_cool

Overall I'd say my hands were solid, I started to get a better handle on when to be aggressive going after a loose ball and when to stay in goal, and next game I should be a little more confident.  I will say that the first shot that was fired from point-blank range was a little nerve-wracking, especially since it's easy to see when the goalie cocks up given you're in there solo, but after making the stop I started to get a little more confident despite the opposing team having a guy in goal decked out with gear like he's been doing this for years.

The best part?  We won on a penalty kick with no time left and got to celebrate the victory.  Actually, the best part is playing soccer a few months after surgery.  One teammate threw up on the sideline and I'm eating Aleve like candy, but damn it feels good to be playing sports again.

Now someone please carry me to class.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 02, 2012, 04:36:06 PM »

thumbsup

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: November 02, 2012, 04:56:18 PM »

Awesome Pete!  Have fun with it, playing keeper is really a blast.  Let me know if you need any pointers (I got through college on scholarship as a goalie smile)

Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 02, 2012, 05:20:29 PM »

Good luck playing keeper, hopefully it isn't indoor soccer. You'll get your face wrecked on shots taken from 3 yards away there. Been playing soccer for 23 years now, its an amazingly fun game.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 02, 2012, 06:54:08 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 02, 2012, 04:56:18 PM

Let me know if you need any pointers (I got through college on scholarship as a goalie smile)

Yes please.   icon_biggrin

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 02, 2012, 07:30:33 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 02, 2012, 02:12:46 PM

You guys aren't going to believe this shit, but a number of soccer players in my pharmacy class of 2016 are ex-players, and they put together an intramural team in one of the more competitive leagues.  But while a number of people have played in the past, no one played goalie.  Well, word got around that I play shortstop in softball and so they had me come out to a few practices to see if my lateral agility would translate well to the soccer pitch.

Last night was our first game and we earned a W!  And having never set foot on the soccer pitch prior, I gave up less goals than the opposition and learned a fair bit in the process.  Sure, I made mistakes, and the only goal I gave up I went out to grab the ball and was unexpectedly shoulder-blocked into the grass which left a wide-open goal (I was given the impression the goalie was off-limits if I went for control, and my teammates confirmed that it was a bogus no-call), but the next time I was in that situation I went in hot and things went differently.   icon_cool

Overall I'd say my hands were solid, I started to get a better handle on when to be aggressive going after a loose ball and when to stay in goal, and next game I should be a little more confident.  I will say that the first shot that was fired from point-blank range was a little nerve-wracking, especially since it's easy to see when the goalie cocks up given you're in there solo, but after making the stop I started to get a little more confident despite the opposing team having a guy in goal decked out with gear like he's been doing this for years.

The best part?  We won on a penalty kick with no time left and got to celebrate the victory.  Actually, the best part is playing soccer a few months after surgery.  One teammate threw up on the sideline and I'm eating Aleve like candy, but damn it feels good to be playing sports again.

Now someone please carry me to class.

Very impressive! Considering that you were playing the whole game with a beer in one hand

Semper Fidelis

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 02, 2012, 09:46:44 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 02, 2012, 06:54:08 PM

Let me know if you need any pointers (I got through college on scholarship as a goalie smile)

Yes please.   icon_biggrin

Read this.  Honerstly, 90% of goalkeeping is simply being in the right place at the right time.  If you can learn to accurately cut off an attacker's angle, you don't even have to bother with most of those crazy dives you see the pro goalies doing.  There's a million other things you can do to be successful, but knowing your angles is the #1 biggest priority for a keeper.

(This article goes into more detail, but can be tough to figure out if you haven't played much)

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 02, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »

Those crazy dives pro goalies have to do stems from the crazy things pro attackers can do with a soccer ball.  I doubt a lot of the people Pete will play against can bend it like Beckham or Ronaldo.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 03, 2012, 12:00:07 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on November 02, 2012, 10:08:00 PM

Those crazy dives pro goalies have to do stems from the crazy things pro attackers can do with a soccer ball.  I doubt a lot of the people Pete will play against can bend it like Beckham or Ronaldo.

Yeah, those players are the exceptions rather than the rule.  There are a few, and they're a bitch to defend against, but overall it's intramurals, so there's a wide variety of talent ranging from people like me using shortstop skills to play a position I've never tried before, to players with such fancy footwork that the ball barely touches the ground.  I was still surprised at the level of talent, though.  The team we played was pretty legit skill wise.  There are enough players that can bend shots with pretty good force, so if I'm out of position I'm hosed.  But even when I'm in position some shots are still pretty challenging to get a clean stop.  

I did have to make a few diving stops, so they do happen, but not as often as just knowing when to run down a ball before the offense can regain control.  Ultimately the diving plays translate from diving stops in softball.  Only the grass is SO much softer than the dirt infield I usually lay out on.

I appreciate the link and will definitely check it out.  I can only improve with more play and learning more about the position.  I'm still pretty happy with my first performance EVER playing keeper.   icon_cool
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:02:45 AM by PeteRock » Logged

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 03, 2012, 06:14:18 PM »

You are not any good until you can do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxe4r6SjH0
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 03, 2012, 08:16:39 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on November 03, 2012, 06:14:18 PM

You are not any good until you can do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxe4r6SjH0

I knew what video that was before I even clicked on it.  AMAZING.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 04, 2012, 12:29:03 AM »

Higuita was a fucking clown.  Couldn't stand that guy.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: November 08, 2012, 04:50:53 AM »

I cannot say I've been tracking NEARLY as diligently as I might have, but here we go. 

I picked up a personal trainer 3 months ago and have dropped from 296 to 266.   It's not just the weight though - my body composition has changed drastically.   My stomach is all but flat and love handles have all but gone away.  I've stacked serious muscle kinda everywhere.   Looking forward to seeing what the next 3 months hold.   I'm going to gather up some pictures.  I can't say I'm proud of what I see in the mirror yet, but I have made some good progress.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 28, 2012, 12:44:04 PM »

So yet another setback.  In our 2nd to last soccer match I was kicked full in the shoulder while making a diving stop by what felt like a mule, and after waking up the following morning screaming in pain after rolling over onto my shoulder, I saw an orthopedic specialist and learned that I have between a type II and type III separated shoulder.  The ligament between my clavicle and acromion is completely torn, and the other ligament is partially torn.  I also now have a weird bump above my right shoulder where my clavicle is sticking upward and that won't ever go away.   

8 to 12 weeks to recover, although my doc said I'm only limited from workouts by my threshold for pain.  Right now anything involving my shoulder makes me see stars and I'm unable to move much for a while after.  I still played keeper for the soccer playoffs, although the following morning I wasn't very happy.

Son. Of. A. Bitch.

disgust 

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 28, 2012, 01:02:04 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 28, 2012, 12:44:04 PM

I saw an orthopedic specialist and learned that I have between a type II and type III separated shoulder.  The ligament between my clavicle and acromion is completely torn, and the other ligament is partially torn.  I also now have a weird bump above my right shoulder where my clavicle is sticking upward and that won't ever go away.   

Never mind all that shit, let's talk about the important details...did you make the save?   icon_razz

Seriously though, that sucks.  I was blessed with double jointed shoulders, otherwise I'm sure I would have done that a number of times over the years.  Get better dude.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 28, 2012, 01:07:19 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 28, 2012, 01:02:04 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on November 28, 2012, 12:44:04 PM

I saw an orthopedic specialist and learned that I have between a type II and type III separated shoulder.  The ligament between my clavicle and acromion is completely torn, and the other ligament is partially torn.  I also now have a weird bump above my right shoulder where my clavicle is sticking upward and that won't ever go away.   

Never mind all that shit, let's talk about the important details...did you make the save?   icon_razz

Actually, I did.  I even managed to finish the game, and in our playoff match I made two more diving saves completely laid out plus a few high shots I deflected over the goal.   icon_cool

It was a pretty marked improvement from my first game to my last.   thumbsup

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 23, 2013, 06:30:07 PM »

It's a shame there hasn't been any activity in here since November.  Now that my shoulder has finally healed, at least enough to return to the gym, I've been slowly building back strength in my shoulder and my neck.  Six months off from the gym following sugery and then my separeted shoulder has really set me back in terms of strength and endurance, but already with almost two full weeks of workouts under my belt, I'm already seeing a noticable improvement in both my overall strength and my endurance in adding more and more volume to my workouts.

Unfortunately I'm severely limited by availability and class schedule, but while many of my workouts have to be limited to just one hour so that I can make it to 8am class (gym doesn't open until 6am - just 30 min earlier would make a world of difference), at least on Thursdays I don't have class until 10am, and on weekends the Rec is practically empty, so I get my high volume workouts in on those days.

Holy hell does it feel amazing to be back at it, even despite being humbled by my strength regression.  Still, it's coming back pretty quickly and my progress can only continue to improve.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: January 23, 2013, 10:33:15 PM »

Ok...I'll jump in now.   I've switched up my training plan in the last 5 months.  In that time:

I dropped from 34% body fat to 24%
I've lost 40lbs while stacking on about 20lbs of muscle

That's from 298 to bouncing around 258-263 right now. 

I did this by picking up a personal trainer that I lift with 2x a week in a circuit training / lifting type system and then martial arts 2x a week.   I also moved to a completely Keto diet and have stuck to it pretty well.   

My goal for the next 5 months?  Another 30 down.   At that point, I think I'll be 'done'.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 23, 2013, 10:42:19 PM »

I've gained 15 pounds since my back surgery and finally back in the saddle. Currently working out early in the morning (weights and medium cardio) and at night I swim.

Semper Fidelis

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 23, 2013, 10:50:24 PM »

After a lackluster performance in the first couple weeks of the year, I've gone back to the calorie counting app that served me so well a few years ago.  It truly is the only way that I can keep track of my food habits and motivate myself to make better choices. 

I started the year at 265.2, down to 262.4 as of this morning.  My stated goal for this month was to hit the 260 mark.  I may not hit it, but even getting close will be a success.  I'm adding the monthly goals to help keep me more motivated in the short term so that I don't wind up turning a day off into a season off. 

I haven't made it back to the gym yet, but it's on the "to-do" list. 

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 24, 2013, 12:00:33 AM »

My girlfriend has been a runner for many years (ran the Boston Marathon two years ago and has done a couple triathlons) and has been trying to get me to join her for quite a while. I have never really enjoyed running and avoided it last summer by focusing on cycling instead. I haven't been on my bike since late September, however, when the temperatures started dropping and it becomes dark too early to safely go for rides after work in the evening. As a result of not exercising during the winter holiday season, I've regained most of the 15 pounds I managed to drop over the last year and a half. I can feel myself sliding backward and it's a feeling I really don't like.

In an effort to turn things around, I've decided to start running and give it real effort for the first time. It all started when I somewhat-jokingly made a comment to my girlfriend about running the Hartford Half-Marathon with her next year...and she let a small laugh slip at the idea. This has inspired me to push myself to see just what I'm capable of over the next 9 months. I joined a 5k running program at my local running store two weeks ago, and I'm set to run my first 'official' 5k race only eight weeks from now (March 17th). After that, I'm making a 10k race sometime over the summer my next goal. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get from nothing all the way up to a half-marathon in less than a year, but my ultimate goal is to run 13.1 miles on October 12th. It's a bit of an intimidating goal right now, but even if I don't make it to the big race, the effort should get in me into the best shape of my life. Wish me luck! icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 24, 2013, 02:00:30 PM »

I havn't had any real reason to post in this thread the last couple years because frankly I've let myself go quite a bit.  Weight steadily creeping up, blood pressure rising, getting flabby, feeling tired all the time.  I usually carry a gym membership, so I would get back from time to time, but peter out within a couple weeks and just lose my motivation.  Last November I went to the doctor's for a checkup and when getting weighed, I found I had hit 190 lbs.  Many might say that's not too horrible, but I have always told myself I would never let myself hit 200, and it was too close to the mark to ignore any more.  The doc also told me I had to lose 15 lbs if I wanted to get off my blood pressure meds.

Immediately after my appt. I went across the street and signed up at the gym again.  It's a Planet Fitness, and part of the membership is free classes with the on staff trainer. I met with him, told him what my goals were and he told me to just show up every day for class and he would take care of the rest.  One important note, this guy is an MMA fighter and really knows what he is doing, and even though planet fitness is mostly machines, they have a good enough set of free weights that we never touch them in our workouts. My daily routine is now to go to class, then hit the elliptical for a bit afterwords.  I also fixed my diet to a degree; rather than counting calories and all that, I just stay away from anything processed as much as possible.

So here we are, two months later and I havn't missed a day (other than christmas and new years).  The trainer has been kicking my ass on a steady basis (he gives me much more advanced stuff to do than the others in class) and I feel like a new man.  I'm down to about 175, the fat has dropped off of near everywhere but a small spare tire around the middle.  The flab is about gone and I am looking really cut and getting much stronger. Come summer, the spare tire should be gone and I'll be fully ripped.  I'm already full of energy again, and am hoping to get off the meds soon; I feel better than I have in years!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: